Traffic cops offered cash to turn down bribes

Lite Beer

Traffic cops offered cash to turn down bribes

By Coconuts Bangkok

cop.bobbles.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Pssst, hey officer, want to make some easy money? Just say “no” to that next bribe, and you could go home with a THB10,000 bonus from your superiors.

In a bid to make a dent in the endemic culture of police bribery, Bangkok’s top traffic cop announced officers will receive a cash bonus for arresting drivers who attempt to bribe them.

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/10/07/traffic-police-entice-officers-not-take-bribes-cash-bonus

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-07

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

God I love this place !!!!! So far out of sync from reality sometimes I feel

I am on another planet...... But always amusing. :-) Pay bribes to not

receive bribes. You could not possibility make this stuff up...

No you couldn't make this up. I know the BIB, especially the junior ranks, don't earn much of an official salary which is something to be addressed by the govt and now they can get a bonus for doing their job.

Officer Somchai needs a bribe of Bt 200 x by 50 drivers to make Bt 10,000 but if he arrests just i driver he is on for the 10,000 and let's not talk about evidence.

Now let's wait to see if arrests for ' attempting to bribe ' suddenly rise which will of course be touted as a great success.

Will senior officers ever question why Officer Somchai and his colleagues are suddenly making so many arrests for the same offence which has never happened before ?

No, the stats are what's wanted.

• Like 1

In a discussion with NKK we wondered what stupid novelty un-realistic topic would break this week , well this just might be it, although TAT has three days to place an equally stupid idea in ,the obvious solution to this piece of detective work that even former DSI Tarit could work out, give the guy's a little more take home pay, that's why they except bribes, they have no money, just like me cheesy.gif

• Like 2

It's kinda like arresting the john who approached the prostitute. By putting fear of bribery arrest (a serious crime) into the driver's heart the driver would stop offering bribes or if the officer suggested some cash would make him forget about issuing the ticket the driver would be fearful in thinking he's being setup. I expect traffic policemen really hate the idea as it could seriously impact their business.

Always been laws against attempting to bribe public officials like police, but in this case the police dept is basically attempting to reward the traffic police in order to stop them from accepting/soliciting bribes. Guess all the traffic cops will need to do a cost analysis to determine if the reward is more profitable than just accepting a donation from the driver.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

The rule of dysfunctional law.

This Top Traffic Cops idea is actually an admission that his subordinates are indeed corrupt. Thainess.

For centuries, nothing moves forward at any government level without greasing the palms of those in the official food chain.

No administration has been free from corruption. Even the trailblazer of coups, Field Marshall Pibhun, had to be deposed by his buddies when the economy and corruption, exacted by the army at all levels of society, nearly bankrupted the country.

This solution to corruption amongst traffic cops is in keeping with the traditions of Thainess.

It would be better to give them a good salary[fullstop] take a bribes and not only would they loose their job but could end up inside.

People used to knock the the good old British traffic warden but their priority was to get the traffic moving rather than issue a ticket, there was never any incentive to issue a ticket, unfortunately they have mostly been replaced with parking enforcement officers with targets to meet just to raise revenue for local authorities.

Ive mentioned it before but HALVE the force double the salary

God I love this place !!!!! So far out of sync from reality sometimes I feel

I am on another planet...... But always amusing. :-) Pay bribes to not

receive bribes. You could not possibility make this stuff up...

No you couldn't make this up. I know the BIB, especially the junior ranks, don't earn much of an official salary which is something to be addressed by the govt and now they can get a bonus for doing their job.

Officer Somchai needs a bribe of Bt 200 x by 50 drivers to make Bt 10,000 but if he arrests just i driver he is on for the 10,000 and let's not talk about evidence.

Now let's wait to see if arrests for ' attempting to bribe ' suddenly rise which will of course be touted as a great success.

Will senior officers ever question why Officer Somchai and his colleagues are suddenly making so many arrests for the same offence which has never happened before ?

No, the stats are what's wanted.

Except that with this big new Win-Win policy for the BIB it could now process as follow:

- New price is 500 THB now, not 200 THB anymore

- Refuse to pay 500 = reported for 10,000..... whistling.gif

Hang on, isn't it normally the police officer that initiates the bribe? huh.png

No. Many expats put some money with their Driving Licence or other documents when they are controlled by police, that they made a fault or not. This kind of attitude is a bad thing who clearly encouraged these bribe with police sad.png