2nd Extension Of Stay 400,000 THB Deposit

My applicaiton for the 2nd extension of stay due to marriage is coming closer and we will ask the local immigration, which documents THEY reuqire.

However, beforehand it would be great to know until which date the 400,000 THB which I put on my Thai account for 2 months needs to be sit there until I can invest it in something else.

Some more info:

Extension of Stay permitted until 25. Nov. 2014

Deposited 400,000 THB on my account on 23. Aug. 2014

Plan to apply for extension of stay on 27. Oct. 2014

Qustions as following:

1) Once the immigration accepted all the documents and confirmed, no documents are missing for the application -let's assume 29. Oct as I am sure on 27. Oct. they will come up with something they have not told us before- can I withdraw the 400,000 THB from my account OR do I need to keep it there until I receive the confirmation of extension / stamp in my passoport for extension of stay?

2) I plan to fly abroad on 3. November 2014. I am still holding a multiple re-entry permit, which I assume is valid until my present extension of stay, which means 25. Nov. 2014. OR does it become invalid if I apply on 29. Oct for the next extension of stay (in that case, I would only apply for my 2. extension after I come back to Thailand)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers

Fraserman

1. It is 2 months on the date you apply. You should leave the money in the bank until you get your one year extension stamp. There have been reports of immigration contacting the bank during the approval process to check that it is still there.

2. You will need to get a single re-entry permit for the 30 day under consideration period if you want to travel.

I would not remove it even when you are approved if you plan on staying the following year. The idea is for the 400 to be continually used to live off of through the year. If you go and withdraw it all after approved, it suggests you borrowed the money in order to extend and questions will be asked when you come to extend the following year.

Is it not 3 months in a bankaccount for 2nd extension and further on??

Glegolo

That is for extensions based upon retirement not marriage. It is 2 months for every extension for marriage.

Thank you for correcting!! Really good to know.

Thanks..

Glegolo

DaveAustin, I only put the 400k on my Thai Account shortly before it is needed. The rest of the year it is invested in different projects where the ROI is much higher than on my saving account.

Don't worry, I have enough income from investments within Thailand and abroad throughout the year, I do not need to borrow any money.

Cheers

Fraserman

I would not remove it even when you are approved if you plan on staying the following year. The idea is for the 400 to be continually used to live off of through the year. If you go and withdraw it all after approved, it suggests you borrowed the money in order to extend and questions will be asked when you come to extend the following year.

"The idea is for the 400 to be continually used to live off of through the year. "

"Continually through the year" not including the 3 months when it can't be touched before the application and during the 'under consideration" period??

Bank managers generally include activity in the three months before a letter is requested and photocopies of your passbook generally cover 3 months as well ... so Immigrations is unlikely to know and even less likely to care what you do with the money after you've met the extension requirements prior to application.

"The idea is for the 400 to be continually used to live off of through the year. "

"Continually through the year" not including the 3 months when it can't be touched before the application and during the 'under consideration" period??

Bank managers generally include activity in the three months before a letter is requested and photocopies of your passbook generally cover 3 months as well ... so Immigrations is unlikely to know and even less likely to care what you do with the money after you've met the extension requirements prior to application.

This writing is pure guesswork and I wouldn´t put too much trust into it at all... Do not touch your money when it is under your "consideration-period" that 1 months time... Than it is up to you to withdraw and do what you like... It is your right here!!!

What concerns the bankspersonal and their issuing a bankletter guaranteeing the amount in your account. They look at the present amount, and confirm THAT and nothing more.....

Finally the immigration-officers do NOT care at all where the money comes from, and where it was before when it should be there..and that is 2 months before applying to extension of stay in Thailand.

Glegolo

DaveAustin, I only put the 400k on my Thai Account shortly before it is needed. The rest of the year it is invested in different projects where the ROI is much higher than on my saving account.

Don't worry, I have enough income from investments within Thailand and abroad throughout the year, I do not need to borrow any money.

Cheers

Fraserman

Just a question, and how much is it you get on your saving account?

This writing is pure guesswork and I wouldn´t put too much trust into it at all... Do not touch your money when it is under your "consideration-period" that 1 months time... Than it is up to you to withdraw and do what you like... It is your right here!!!

Glegolo

Taking the funds out during the under consideration not a good idea at all. There have been reports of immigration checking that the money is still there during the approval process. There have been extensions denied for removing the money.

It might be allowed to take a small amount out but certainly not to empty the account.

This writing is pure guesswork and I wouldn´t put too much trust into it at all... Do not touch your money when it is under your "consideration-period" that 1 month time... Than it is up to you to withdraw and do what you like... It is your right here!!!

Glegolo

Taking the funds out during the under consideration not a good idea at all. There have been reports of immigration checking that the money is still there during the approval process. There have been extensions denied for removing the money.

It might be allowed to take a small amount out but certainly not to empty the account.

and THAT is exactly what I just wrote!!

Glegolo

When I went to Chang Wattana earlier this month they wanted 4 items regarding bank,

1. The original bank book to see.

2. A copy of it.

3. A endorsed letter from bank on date of extension application.

4. A bank endorsed statement activity balance report on every transaction over period, as this is not always detailed in bank book.

Thanks to everybody for your comments!

I will report back once I mastered the extension process (hopefully in December)!

To NeedForSpeed: You can find the interest rate you get for your saving account on your bank's webpage (approx. 0.5%/year).

Cheers

Fraserman