What taxes to expect when importing a 1951 Chevy Pickup in pieces for restoration here

mouse

Since I plan to bring a 1951 Chevrolet Pickup into Thailand in rusted condition and then restore it what can I expect to pay?

The vehicle is costing me $3000 total plus shipping. Body parts would arrive as a bed part, fenders and the cab or the truck.

When here the body.will be redone and painted after restoration from rust condition to perfection and then a new engine, transmission will be added.

The original frame (totally rebuilt and powder coated) will be imported to include suspension, brakes and steering components.

Is there an agent that can help or am I on my own?

post-7728-0-19822300-1412750762_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-15550200-1412750781_thumb.jp

Edited by mouse

Do you intend registering and using the restored truck in Thailand, or re-exporting to sell?

There's a whole minefield out there for those importing vehicles and vehicle parts, standard advice is to forget it, but this is a special case.

If you intend to restore it yourself, then you need a work permit !

I heard a story about a guy who (as a hobby) made his own boat...he was busted !

Just to clear this up, the guy was working on a boat to resell and make a profit on, so that is why he got pinched according to the gov't spokesperson.. If you restore something to keep for yourself, gov't said that does not require a work permit.

Mine was a 47 but it had the same (but unchromed) grill this one has....but this one is a 53.

What a bloody nightmare it was. Even the littlest things were a pain.

By the time I had finished it I just didn't want it any more so I sold it!

ive spent years asking here there and everywhere on importing my 1950 F1 or any of my bikes. the advice was 100% 'forget it' or even if it arrived here then 'forget it' as soon as the container was opened and cheif somchai twigged what was sat there in front of him. i shipped over £200 worth of suzuki wheels and forks for a chopper build. 2 years and £1000 later they cleared customs and even then as they were being loaded into a truck another cheif somchai refused to open the compound gate untill another 3000baht 'fee' was paid.

it really pisses me off as i would have had all my toys over here to enjoy and thais would be earning money off of fixing and painting them etc. but thats of no interest to the cheif somchais in customs.

but if you do get it in ill buy you beer all night for the information of who to give the envelopes to.......

I've thought of similar projects when its time to retire but based on the universal response "don't try it" I've decided against it. On top of that as I've rambled around Thailand I've noticed a fair number of older vehicles, many look to be a worthy restoration project, my advice would be to search for such a car or truck already in country, I think it would be much less stressful than what you suggest.

Reminds me of a quip:

"A fool and his money are easily parted".

But in fairness to the OP, there are certainly many on here that have discovered must faster methods to part with their money ;-)

Buena Suerte Amigo.

Edited by ClutchClark

Search the forum on "importing a car", like everyone said, just forget about it. Taxes too high, won't be able to get registration, or your car will just be confiscated by the customs. Don't even think about going through an agent, they won't be much of a help if you deal with the wrong custom folks.

If you really want to drive an American Truck, buy one that is already imported and registered locally, they will set you back 800,000 to 1 million baht. Unrestored beat up condition, you could get one around 400-500,000 baht. It would be hard to find one that is registered properly though. Most of American trucks I've seen are using toyota registration.