Koh Tao murder report: Prosecutors seek changes

webfact

They recanted? You mean they no longer admit guilt now that they have been provided an International Defense Team by Human rights Groups?

Correct, they see a glimmer of hope and are brave enough to face more beatings in hope of freedom
I don't see any indication they recanted. The article states:

""However, both suspects insisted [to me] that they had committed the crimes," said the human-rights commissioner."

Could you provide the link that states they recanted? Thanks

Other articles claim they recanted, not worth arguing over since the media is only slightly more professional than the officials.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The human rights lawyer did say yesterday that they had recanted their statements, unfortunately i don't have the link, but it was on one of the thai visa reports . and remember this guy who is saying they admitted they did it, is a thai, not saying he is lying but he may be saying what he has been told to say by someone higher up.

Edited by theoldgit
Don't post in bold.
  • Like 2

My humble opinion is the RTP have completely ruined the whole crime case, that in itself is not surprising as they have done this on many occasions in the past and if expert help is not forthcoming will continue to do so, the amateurish antics to the media stops all cast a shadow that something smells in the RTP, one direction that is sorely required is a media liaison unit that handles all police media, instead of this ad hoc B/S that gets bandied about at present. Opinion: Total Disgrace.bah.gif

• Like 1

"However, both suspects insisted [to me] that they had committed the crimes," said the human-rights commissioner.

Just asking but..........does that statement not sound really strange to you ? I mean insisted ? blink.png

Yes it sounds extremely strange, considering the fact they recanted their confession.

They recanted? You mean they no longer admit guilt now that they have been provided an International Defense Team by Human rights Groups?

Uuuuh yeh.

Burmese migrants RECANT murder confession of British tourists: Human rights groups urge Thailand to investigate claims duo were tortured

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2784707/Burmese-migrants-RECANT-murder-confession-British-tourists-Human-rights-groups-urge-Thailand-investigate-claims-duo-tortured.html

Edited by dcutman

Declaring ones innocence does not make one innocent.

Not sure about other countries but the US is chock full of prisoners who declare their innocence.

Not saying they did it not saying they didn't.

Only saying recanting a confession is not proof either way.

Since the possibility continues to exist that they did commit this horrendous crime, I am not going to extend my sympathy to them.

I will leave that to the posters here who really want to see a Thai convicted.

What I'd like to know is where us the British government in all of this?

Hey I'm of the opinion that these guys did it but you guys in the camp of they are innocent and have the Facebook campaign going and amnesty intl etc can anybody provide any statement made on behalf of British government?

This only thing I have seen is where watching events closely.

Does the silence means they are in support of the police or they have no balls to speak out?

Seems strange to me considering the campaigns going on

• Like 1

Not sure about other countries but the US is chock full of prisoners who declare their innocence.

Since the possibility continues to exist that they did commit this horrendous crime, I am not going to extend my sympathy to them.

You really shouldn't be throwing accusations about.

I and I'm sure most if not all of my fellow 'Brits' would be happy to see a 'Brit' hang for this crime if a 'Brit' has committed it.

People want to see justice whether British, Thai or Burmese.

All leads point to it being done by Thai people, but if this Sean guy had a hand in it also I'm happy to see him swing.

Accusation?

All leads point to thai people?

Please elaborate.

Edited by ClutchClark

I and I'm sure most if not all of my fellow 'Brits' would be happy to see a 'Brit' hang for this crime if a 'Brit' has committed it.

All leads point to it being done by Thai people, but if this Sean guy had a hand in it also I'm happy to see him swing.

Accusation?

Please elaborate.

Well the accusation is you are accusing all posters of wanting to see a Thai person convicted. Or does that not count as an accusation in your book.

All points lead to Thai people ... Read the independent reports, rather than what the Thai media feeds you.

To me there are only 2 outcomes:

1. The 2 Burmese did it, or

2. If they didn't do it, they have been placed close enough to the scene and time such that at 4 AM they would have seen and/or observed commotion to an extent much more than they seem to have revealed.

• Like 1

An interesting article on Bangkok Post now about recanting of confessions and also there must be something wrong in the evidence if the report is being sent back for further work.

I just can't wrap my head around one fact - when they focused on migrant workers at the start of the case how did a bunch of lads who work in a bar that the victims went to and are known for singing and drinking close to the crime scene go unnoticed by the police? Why would the locals obstruct the case by giving false information if they knew the culprits were a pair of Burmese.

Very hard to know what to believe and the fact they have received so little legal help does not help the Thai police's case against them.

• Like 1

Accusation?

Please elaborate.

Well the accusation is you are accusing all posters of wanting to see a Thai person convicted. Or does that not count as an accusation in your book.

All points lead to Thai people ... Read the independent reports, rather than what the Thai media feeds you.

And therein lies atleast one of your problems.

You have included the word "all" when you paraphrase my post.

I did not say "all" posters but only to the "posters here who really want to see a thai convicted".

You are responding as if the shoe fits.

An interesting article on Bangkok Post now about recanting of confessions and also there must be something wrong in the evidence if the report is being sent back for further work.

I just can't wrap my head around one fact - when they focused on migrant workers at the start of the case how did a bunch of lads who work in a bar that the victims went to and are known for singing and drinking close to the crime scene go unnoticed by the police? Why would the locals obstruct the case by giving false information if they knew the culprits were a pair of Burmese.

Very hard to know what to believe and the fact they have received so little legal help does not help the Thai police's case against them.

Did they focus on migrant workers at the start?

"However, both suspects insisted [to me] that they had committed the crimes," said the human-rights commissioner.

Just asking but..........does that statement not sound really strange to you ? I mean insisted ? blink.png

Yes it sounds extremely strange, considering the fact they recanted their confession.

Uuuuh yeh.

Burmese migrants RECANT murder confession of British tourists: Human rights groups urge Thailand to investigate claims duo were tortured

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2784707/Burmese-migrants-RECANT-murder-confession-British-tourists-Human-rights-groups-urge-Thailand-investigate-claims-duo-tortured.html

No wonder the Daily Mail site continues to be blocked/censored in Thailand ....

Wow a very very interesting report. Nobody saw the kid at uni till the 16th and he had scratches on his arm and neck..... If that's true I don't have words to describe the people from the bottom to the top trying to cover this up. Its just unfathomable... Let's get a journalist to the uni to start investigating these claims to c if anyone can back up this story... Come on you uni students.. Did u see this kid with scratches on his neck and arms. Speak up, its your chance to get rid of the rotten core of this country or at least the start. DNA would be left under Hanna's finger nails. . This needs some very serious looking into....

• Like 1

Not really. It makes sense that the commissioner would press them on this, given the gravity of the admission - as well as it being the most crucial point of his whole visit.

• Like 2

Accusation?

Please elaborate.

And therein lies atleast one of your problems.

You have included the word "all" when you paraphrase my post.

I did not say "all" posters but only to the "posters here who really want to see a thai convicted".

You are responding as if the shoe fits.

All, Some or just one. really doesn't matter you have accused people of wanting to see a Thai get convicted. People want to see justice and if it is a Thai person, so be it.

I doubt any of the people on this forum want to see a Thai convicted just for the sake of it. As that would be no worse than seeing a Burmese who didn't do it convicted.

P.S. the shoe doesn't fit, hence the fact the file got sent back.

• Like 1

He said they told him they had not used condoms while sexually violating the female victim, contrary to earlier police statements that sperm carrying their DNA was found on the outside of condoms.

This perplexes me. Up till now I thought the only DNA found on the condom (and it was outside - none inside ) was the female victims'. Did I miss something?

• Like 1

Not surprising that the other Burmese migrant workers would not want to believe fellow countrymen had committed the crime.

Such a statment has zero credibility.

Its no different than a Senior Thai Police official suggesting the same about a Thai.

This article offers little useful insight except the interpreter issue. It would be worth clarifying the interviews by having the taped recordings heard by additional Native burmese translators familiar with the same dialect.

Was the interrogation taped?

Even if it wan't, the two suspects readily admit their guilt so it would not be difficult to have them explain themselves to a Native speaker/interpreter.

I think "readily admit their guilt" might be overstating the situation a tad. They were tortured and coerced. Who's to say the human rights guy is legit... I mean totally 100% on the level, he is after all Thai, amiright? (Also, you said before that the words of several Burmese (sorry, non -Thai/migrant) workers is worth as little as the word of one (obviously - because they all are) crooked cop... I beg to differ. Of a group of 100 Burmese you will get at least one truthful remark, you will not with a comparable group of police.) I think you ought put your beloved vexatious litigant position on the backburner for a little while.

• Like 1

Parinya also said a Rohingya interpreter was used during the police interrogation of the two suspects, who are from Rakhine state, who allegedly bore a grudge against Rohingya people, apart from their different languages.

He added that both suspects bore wounds as a result of what they claimed was "the police not treating them properly".

Did Mr Parinya use the same interpreter? Does he speak Burmese? How did these suspects communicate with him?

When they speak to their own people in their own language they say they didn't do it. They also say that a policeman and the interpreter hit them. Mr Parinya provides confirmation that the suspects have been hit.

The truth will out.

Were these two tortured for a confession?

Did they have to masturbate for the police to collect sperm?

Are they facing the death penalty?

This is martial law. Media are only allowed to report what they are told to report. These two suspects need legal representation that will defend them.

Why is the General directing the media in saying not to report which country they are from. Could the General be called into court by the defence lawyer' and have his comments examined over the period of the investigation?

If the prosecutors are saying the police brief is not good? It sounds as they are not happy to represent the state on the evidence being presented?

The more this goes on the more questions come up. Sounds like swiss cheese?

If these two accused didn't do it, then there is still a homicidal maniac on the loose somewhere on this planet.

• Like 1

Not surprising that the other Burmese migrant workers would not want to believe fellow countrymen had committed the crime.

Such a statment has zero credibility.

Its no different than a Senior Thai Police official suggesting the same about a Thai.

This article offers little useful insight except the interpreter issue. It would be worth clarifying the interviews by having the taped recordings heard by additional Native burmese translators familiar with the same dialect.

Was the interrogation taped?
Even if it wan't, the two suspects readily admit their guilt so it would not be difficult to have them explain themselves to a Native speaker/interpreter.

I think "readily admit their guilt" might be overstating the situation a tad. They were tortured and coerced. Who's to say the human rights guy is legit... I mean totally 100% on the level, he is after all Thai, amiright? (Also, you said before that the words of several Burmese (sorry, non -Thai/migrant) workers is worth as little as the word of one (obviously - because they all are) crooked cop... I beg to differ. Of a group of 100 Burmese you will get at least one truthful remark, you will not with a comparable group of police.) I think you ought put your beloved vexatious litigant position on the backburner for a little while.

Obviously a Burmese worker is going to be concerned if a countryman is guilty of this horrendous crime. These people already face huge discrimination and abuse in Thailand. The last thing they want is to be associated with this gruesome murder.

If you cannot understand this then I can't help you.

BTW, to call the senior police officer a crooked cop is, by definition, slander on your part.

Try to stick with facts rather than hyperbole.

Edited by ClutchClark

Wow a very very interesting report. Nobody saw the kid at uni till the 16th and he had scratches on his arm and neck..... If that's true I don't have words to describe the people from the bottom to the top trying to cover this up. Its just unfathomable... Let's get a journalist to the uni to start investigating these claims to c if anyone can back up this story... Come on you uni students.. Did u see this kid with scratches on his neck and arms. Speak up, its your chance to get rid of the rotten core of this country or at least the start. DNA would be left under Hanna's finger nails. . This needs some very serious looking into....

My missus figures at least ฿ 25 Million has changed hands already and ownership or interests in one or more businesses.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1