Where to get a good hamburger in chiang mai?

cmcom

Some that haven't been mentioned:

I really like the burgers at Love at First Bite ... real backyard barbecue burgers American style that remind me of home .... good with their Mac & Cheese which I think is the best in Chiang Mai ... the burgers aren't huge, but there you don't want them huge because you have to save room for their delicious cakes and pies.

The Chiang Mai Saloon on Loi Kroh does a good charbroiled burger ... but you need to ask for the right one ... I think it's the Saloon Steakburger ... ask Ron the owner what's his best burger and he'll point you in the right direction ... caveat: I Do Not recommend a burger at the other Saloon near the Irish Pub, the food there is never as good as on Loi Kroh.

And if you're out towards Mae Rim, then try the Pork Burger at Steak of the Day ... it is excellent.

I also like the already-mentioned Rock Me Burger on Loi Kroh, the Dukes (although I rarely order a burger there because I like his other sandwiches and meals better), and 4 corners/White Plate (if it still exists---I think the original White Plate owners sold to new owners, who changed the name to 4 Corners).

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember the name of the gourmet burger place that was on Loi Kroh, about 60 meters down from the moat? Expensive but very good. He later moved somewhere (near Riverside? I am not sure.) but had a place upstairs that no one walked into.

That was for sure the best burger I ever had in this town. I never made it to White Plate.

Some nice guy from Hawaii rented the place on Loi Kroh and tried to do pizza. I don't think he lasted two months. This must be 8 years ago or so.

Does anyone remember the name of the gourmet burger place that was on Loi Kroh, about 60 meters down from the moat? Expensive but very good. He later moved somewhere (near Riverside? I am not sure.) but had a place upstairs that no one walked into.

That was for sure the best burger I ever had in this town. I never made it to White Plate.

Some nice guy from Hawaii rented the place on Loi Kroh and tried to do pizza. I don't think he lasted two months. This must be 8 years ago or so.

I think you're talking about the Fillmore East.

A familiar restaurant story ... have a good thing going and screw it up by changing location and expanding.

Give the Rock Me Burger&Bar at the Raming Lodge on Loi Khro a go.

Anywhere that breaks THE cardinal rule of Burgers of not cutting into them (it releases the juices, stops the internal cooking, ruins the structural integrity, presentation and eatability for starters) I wouldn't even try! On top of that they use a picture of a knife puncturing the burger in their promo material showing a complete lack of understanding of the product they are selling. And not only has the cardinal rule been broken but also that a Hamburger is not eaten using a knife (that's would be a Beef Patty such as a Salisbury Steak).

Bleacher Bum East: Thanks for the answer that White Plate was sold and the new owner's changed the name to Four Corner's. That now makes me wonder why! One of main reasons to buy an existing restaurant is for it's "good will", some of which will be lost (for sake of confusion if nothing else) by a name change.

Northern John: Of course up to you and wouldn't want to ruin the enjoyment of you "having it your way" (Burger King TM) and disregarding my purist attitude but to quote you "I like to keep it basic. meat cheese mustard and a bit of sauce on I like to keep it basic" doesn't seem basic and I'm afraid to ask what "sauce" you refer to especially as you already use mustard. Personally my preference is a plain burger with a bit of lettuce, onion and tomato and perhaps some good mustard if available (Dijon not that watery French's Yellow for example). But I will admit if I'm in a real frisky mood I'll do one with Buffalo Sauce (1/2 Frank's Hot Sauce 1/2 Clarified Butter) and melted Blue Cheese (of course only the real strong stuff such as Gorganzola, Roqueford or Stilton).

And if you're out towards Mae Rim, then try the Pork Burger at Steak of the Day ... it is excellent.

spot on ,BBE...

heres some hot mail... to all out in the boonies maerimites and fellow adjoining boonies districts, plus the the city slickers for a days outing in the beautiful boonies(just bring your compass)

I DONT KNOW . mae rim plaza .(S.O.D.sisters cafe,just across the road).. only recently added a new white menu board

hamburgers and piazzas

hamburgers are at 250 baht a pop.., beef,duck,crab are available , plus french frieds,scrumptous to say the least

piazzas are 200baht a throw( thin pastry) are absoulately a treat

ray/nui have built a piazza fire oven,just stick your gregory peck(neck) over the counter and take a bow peep

this lovely couple,plus their attentive staff,never sit on their laurels,they are always prepared to do something different to their menu

hence the name..I DONT KNOW..honestlythey dont know what they try next..just keeps the nose bags happily guessing

a very nice morning to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

Give the Rock Me Burger&Bar at the Raming Lodge on Loi Khro a go.

Anywhere that breaks THE cardinal rule of Burgers of not cutting into them (it releases the juices, stops the internal cooking, ruins the structural integrity, presentation and eatability for starters) I wouldn't even try! On top of that they use a picture of a knife puncturing the burger in their promo material showing a complete lack of understanding of the product they are selling. And not only has the cardinal rule been broken but also that a Hamburger is not eaten using a knife (that's would be a Beef Patty such as a Salisbury Steak).

Bleacher Bum East: Thanks for the answer that White Plate was sold and the new owner's changed the name to Four Corner's. That now makes me wonder why! One of main reasons to buy an existing restaurant is for it's "good will", some of which will be lost (for sake of confusion if nothing else) by a name change.

Northern John: Of course up to you and wouldn't want to ruin the enjoyment of you "having it your way" (Burger King TM) and disregarding my purist attitude but to quote you "I like to keep it basic. meat cheese mustard and a bit of sauce on I like to keep it basic" doesn't seem basic and I'm afraid to ask what "sauce" you refer to especially as you already use mustard. Personally my preference is a plain burger with a bit of lettuce, onion and tomato and perhaps some good mustard if available (Dijon not that watery French's Yellow for example). But I will admit if I'm in a real frisky mood I'll do one with Buffalo Sauce (1/2 Frank's Hot Sauce 1/2 Clarified Butter) and melted Blue Cheese (of course only the real strong stuff such as Gorganzola, Roqueford or Stilton).

Jeez J C you just described the same burger I did. Maybe different condiments. Where do you get the one you mentioned.. I am fairly sure Geckos doesn't have the upper level condiments you mentioned.

Just basic. It is the taste of the meat that sells it for me.

NJ, you know I'm fond of you AND a hard ass! But .. your's has cheese and some undefined mystery sauce! Hope it wasn't anything mayo based or I might actually lose a little respect for you :) .

As for Geckos not really what I have in mind when posting on a "good burger" thread.

The one I described was in my restaurant in Boston, sorry no deliveries.

Edited by junglechef

Not surprised White Plate a la Four Corners has closed. Last visit we were told a load of BS about [previous] owner still same but away in NZ. Yeah right, 3 months gone and change of name? Anyway, the burger looked the same but meat was full of gristle and they no longer had coffee available.

Rock Me looks ok.

• Like 1

The burgers at the White Plate are the best I have had anywhere in SEA in 25 years.

UG.... Is that near the Piston Shop? Going to have to give that try.

Yes coming from Moat side go past Piston Shop then straight at the next stop light...About 100 yards or so after the light watch for the JJ Market/Rimping sign on left

Lots of folks get confused because JJ market is on both sides of that road.

Different sectors I guess

We fell for this one. Went down there one morning because I'd heard and read all about it, went to the part over the road, had no idea there was a Rimping and everything else there. I was wondering where are all those restaurants and cafe's people have told me or have written about? We went down the road from the city, and saw the big JJ Market sign on the right side and there was no indication that there was more to it anywhere else.

spot on ,BBE...

heres some hot mail... to all out in the boonies maerimites and fellow adjoining boonies districts, plus the the city slickers for a days outing in the beautiful boonies(just bring your compass)

I DONT KNOW . mae rim plaza .(S.O.D.sisters cafe,just across the road).. only recently added a new white menu board

hamburgers and piazzas

hamburgers are at 250 baht a pop.., beef,duck,crab are available , plus french frieds,scrumptous to say the least

piazzas are 200baht a throw( thin pastry) are absoulately a treat

ray/nui have built a piazza fire oven,just stick your gregory peck(neck) over the counter and take a bow peep

this lovely couple,plus their attentive staff,never sit on their laurels,they are always prepared to do something different to their menu

hence the name..I DONT KNOW..honestlythey dont know what they try next..just keeps the nose bags happily guessing

a very nice morning to allsmile.png

Are the "crab burgers" made with crab cakes?

I hope so ... one of my favorite meals in the world was the crab cake sandwiches (made with lump blue Chesapeake Bay crab meat and freshly baked bread) at the weekend market on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.

And is the "duck burger" made with ground duck? If so it could be Thailand's equivalent to Barney's awesome turkey burger (my favorite was the Popeye Burger with sauteed spinach and feta cheese) in the San Francisco Bay area...but they would need the spicy curly fries to go with the burger.

I'm salivating from the flashback already.

Have to get up there soon and give all a go.

• Like 1

i used to really enjoy Spanky's burgers... but the shop (and Spanky? whatever happened to him?) are long gone.

Gecko burgers just don't do it for me... Duke's is passable, but thanks for the thread... I am inspired to try

some of the mentioned places

• Like 1

One of the better burgers in Chiang Mai IMHO has always been at Sizzler Steak House. http://www.sizzler.co.th/en/menu_burger.php

I was really disappointed in the one I had there. A friend of mine had given it a real big build up. So I tried it and was very disappointed by it.

This was at the airport mall. Maybe the price had some thing to do with my disappointment. But the salad bar was good.

One of the better burgers in Chiang Mai IMHO has always been at Sizzler Steak House. http://www.sizzler.co.th/en/menu_burger.php

I was really disappointed in the one I had there. A friend of mine had given it a real big build up. So I tried it and was very disappointed by it.

This was at the airport mall. Maybe the price had some thing to do with my disappointment. But the salad bar was good.

Change the cook and you have a hockey puck..whistling.gif

NJ, you know I'm fond of you AND a hard ass! But .. your's has cheese and some undefined mystery sauce! Hope it wasn't anything mayo based or I might actually lose a little respect for you smile.png .

As for Geckos not really what I have in mind when posting on a "good burger" thread.

The one I described was in my restaurant in Boston, sorry no deliveries.

Boston unfair.

This is Chiang Mai.

As for all the burgers mentioned here have an undefined mystery sauce it is just taken for granted

that you realize it is not just meat. Also at Geckos you can get it with no sauce it is served with out

It but it comes as a condiment on the side which you can add as you choose. Or maybe ask for a specialty one.

Not known for being an exotic burger because it is a Plane Jane up to you to use the condiments you want

with out asking for special treatment. I would suggest measuring one up against the other burgers if they were

served just Plane Jane with condiments on the side. I believe it would hold it's own.

The one thing I miss on all of them is the pickles. Even cucumber chips are better than there pickles here.

To me, Gecko Garden has a good burger for the price - considering where we are. It is charcoal grilled and that covers up the taste of the lousy Thai beef. They can be overly dry, but IMO are usually OK with cheese, pickles and lots of condiments.

…… order it after your 2nd large Chang and then wash it done with the 3rd on the 3 large beer promo and you'll be raving about it for weeks. This has been my experience anyway.wink.png

• Like 2

One of the best kept secrets on the west side of town is a weird little place on Canal Road a couple of km south of Suthep Rd. Past Sharp Curve road sign then a place that sells bamboo, look left for a sign that reads "Viking Jungle." Look quick or you'll miss it! Excellent burger, fries and salad at 95B (150g). They also have a 300 and 450g size. LOVE the food and quaint garden setting - but please, keep it a secret!

One of the best kept secrets on the west side of town is a weird little place on Canal Road a couple of km south of Suthep Rd. Past Sharp Curve road sign then a place that sells bamboo, look left for a sign that reads "Viking Jungle." Look quick or you'll miss it! Excellent burger, fries and salad at 95B (150g). They also have a 300 and 450g size. LOVE the food and quaint garden setting - but please, keep it a secret!

Viking Jungle. Looks good in the video. biggrin.png

Viking Jungle. Looks good in the video. biggrin.png

Well that video has sold me on the place. Finally, a video featuring a Thai guy who looks like the Thai guys my son and nephews hang out with. Not that I think it will be a great burger as great burgers are hard to find in the US and non-existent in Thailand, but hopefully an above average burger for Thailand will be offered. And if the other patrons are like that guy then I know a good time can be had washing the burger down with some Hong Thong and soda.