Bangkok traffic cop arrests motorist for 'bribe attempt'

webfact

"Can you imagine if the cop takes your license if you are in some area just passing through?"

In that case you ask the officer to send the licence to a police station of your choice, which they will do, and the fine is paid there.

Yeah, of course I know all the names of the police stations where they can send it to smile.png

Let's face it: it's always inconvenient. Why can't you acknowledge that?

You don't have to know every police station in the country, but most normal people would know if there was a police station near to, say, where they live or work, wouldn't they? Or they could ask the officer, he will tell you, it's not that difficult.

I didn't say that paying a fine officially isn't inconvenient but isn't inconvenience one of the intended elements of a punishment for a crime?

No, Swiss Cheese, inconvenience is not an intended punishment for a crime. Btw, since when is a small offense a crime?

I will now stop replying your posts, since you don't seem to get the point!

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's nice,but in many cases (like on Vibhavadi rd) the cop takes your license to send it to some main police distribution point, which is not the police post where they 'catch' you. You then first need to wait until your license arrives there to be able to go there and pay to get your license back. YES, that resulted in half a day loss! And this is in a for me known area! Can you imagine if the cop takes your license if you are in some area just passing through?

If they just give you a ticket to pay and let you keep your license it's ok and you can pay at any post office.

Let's be honest here:

all of us don't give a ... about the actual fine, which is mostly very small. It's all about convenience.

"Can you imagine if the cop takes your license if you are in some area just passing through?"

In that case you ask the officer to send the licence to a police station of your choice, which they will do, and the fine is paid there.

you really think that will happen? have you ever been stopped by the police? i had my licence take off me because my rear footpegs were down. i had to ride 40km to a police station to pay 200bt for a b/s fine and then 40km back to get my licence because that was the station that police operated from.

they wont send it to another station because that other station will get the tea money.

Yeah, that's nice,but in many cases (like on Vibhavadi rd) the cop takes your license to send it to some main police distribution point, which is not the police post where they 'catch' you. You then first need to wait until your license arrives there to be able to go there and pay to get your license back. YES, that resulted in half a day loss! And this is in a for me known area! Can you imagine if the cop takes your license if you are in some area just passing through?

If they just give you a ticket to pay and let you keep your license it's ok and you can pay at any post office.

Let's be honest here:

all of us don't give a ... about the actual fine, which is mostly very small. It's all about convenience.

you really think that will happen? have you ever been stopped by the police? i had my licence take off me because my rear footpegs were down. i had to ride 40km to a police station to pay 200bt for a b/s fine and then 40km back to get my licence because that was the station that police operated from.

they wont send it to another station because that other station will get the tea money.

Riding with the rear footpegs down is not a crime.

Let's be honest here:

Riding with the rear footpegs down is not a crime.

You should have been there and told the police officer that he was in the wrongthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Where I once was able to get by with carrying a hundred baht note in my shirt pocket...to contribute to the police benevolent fund...now I have to carry 10 thousand baht?

This prices most people out of the bribery business...just think if you meet a really nice officer...and he lets you off for a mere 5000 baht...what a deal...

The future bodes well for some officials in Thailand...

Wow a insulting 50BT handout and i thought it was just the so called farangs who were cheap charlies,maybe had he offered 1 or 200 the thought of 10k wouldnt have been an option considered.coffee1.gif

i witnessed a gf on her scooter with kid on the back hand over 20bht in pathumthani just 2 years ago, i later questioned how she could get away with 20bht and she told its normal for thais if you have a kid with you, she then told if they dont accept she would never go over 40bht... btw she is a taxi driver by day, so all this talk of 200bht from cheap charlies as far as i can see just means the farangs are paying more,

Also i seen the same girl and her daughter get off the bike some meters before a police block and push the bike past the police as both had no helmet, one bib said hey...its ok you can ride through and she answered, sure then i have a problem with you! I,m sure there,s some logic in there somewhere.

This could be a big buisiness : i give the policeman a bribe of say 50 baht, i am arrested ok ! The policeman get the reward of 10k baht, then we share minus the fine for attempt to corruption.

Why should the policeman split the 10k with you? Better he just say you offered him the bribe then he keeps the entire 10k.

Police Commissioner (PC): I have a cunning plan comrades...

BIB: what is it boss?

PC: well rather than give you chaps a raise I will create a program that will FORCE the public to pay you more for 'on-the-spot cups of tea'

BIB: how does it work boss?

PC: I have to keep it simple as you lot are stupid ... if someone doesn't offer you a large enough cup of tea, you arrest them for bribery.

BIB: Okeydoke, got it but whats happens if they give us 200 Baht or more?

PC: well you let them go on there merry way and send up the chiefs 75% cut - for you who can't calculate that, it's 185 Baht!

BIB: ooohhh aaaawwww :) what a plan, you are so smart PC.

PC: just don't forget a new cup of tea costs at least 200 Baht...

I've seen a lot of posts ridiculing this new scheme (an understandable reaction to anything related to the RTP, of course) but I actually think this could work. The simple fact is, no-one will offer a bribe of 10,000 THB for any motoring offence. And if there's a genuine fear of entrapment and arrest, no-one will accept a police officer's request of a bribe either. So with the reward set so high, they're effectively pricing bribes out of the market. So it's a win-win situation surely?

You are missing the point.

It's not an issue of bribery but an issue of raising the salary of Thai Police who's monthly salary is approx. $10-12K THB.

Having two Thai Police approaching you to collaborate or fabricate each others story is the issue.

Thai Police have a deserving reputation of corrupt, lazy,...and this feeds into it.

Based on your position, I assume you support the proposal for all tourist to be issued/wear an ID bracelet to track their presence.

Last night the police ASKED me for a bribe so that they get their money (Rather than going to the police station). !!!!

Who can I report it to and do they get chucked in jail too ???

(i was driving my bike and didn't have my licence on me)... they told me if I pay them 500 baht directly, I wont have to go to the police station (where the fine would be bigger).

(Sukhumvit Soi 18 after coming out of Hotel Restaurant).

so,, why is this a ONE WAY LAW where cops can arrest people trying to bribe them,,, but the police are allowed to ask for bribes as much as they want. Where is the place that people can go to get police officers arrested for asking for bribes?

Would there not be some incentive for an officer to just falsely accuse a motorist of attempted bribe?

But seriously, 50 Baht? Thats actually insulting.

A quid's still a quid once they run out of money and the incentive is removed.

Last night the police ASKED me for a bribe so that they get their money (Rather than going to the police station). !!!!

Who can I report it to and do they get chucked in jail too ???

(i was driving my bike and didn't have my licence on me)... they told me if I pay them 500 baht directly, I wont have to go to the police station (where the fine would be bigger).

(Sukhumvit Soi 18 after coming out of Hotel Restaurant).

so,, why is this a ONE WAY LAW where cops can arrest people trying to bribe them,,, but the police are allowed to ask for bribes as much as they want. Where is the place that people can go to get police officers arrested for asking for bribes?

Go to the police station and make a report of the policeman demanding a bribe.

Let us know how that works out.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Hope it wasn’t the same police man who on late Monday night Silom road stopped our taxi and demanded 200 Baht because front seat [ stupid passenger ] was not wearing a seat belt and no receipt produced or offered and he just stored the fine payment in his front R/H trouser pocket and waved us away

Soon all Thai Police will be wearing personal CCTV cameras

My wife says the some police are exploiting the law, are doing a sting and they have cameras.

Hand over the traditional bribe and the scumbags will sting you for megabucks now.

Thailand, the Nigeria of Asia.

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

This could be a big buisiness : i give the policeman a bribe of say 50 baht, i am arrested ok ! The policeman get the reward of 10k baht, then we share minus the fine for attempt to corruption.

Unless the fine includes the 10,000 baht, as I would suspect will happen when found guilty of bribery.

So when the campaign of offering 10K ends, it's same ole same ole. Betcha.

Except people may actually be scared to offer a bribe.

The problem is that I have never offered any bribe to a police officer, and I will gladly take a fine.

But usually they do not want to write any fines, only asking for tip

Edited by andygunther

Let's be honest here:

Yeah, of course I know all the names of the police stations where they can send it to smile.png

Let's face it: it's always inconvenient. Why can't you acknowledge that?

Or you wait there and let a MC taxi to go to pay your ticket

I guess its a good idea to have a camera recording when you get stopped by a police from now on.

If they will ask for a bribe...

Yeap. Get familiar with the recording function on your cellphone, practice starting it up until you can do it quickly & unobtrusively, and then get in the habit of carrying it in the right place whenever you drive.

Or don't drive...

But I've read somewhere around here that they're scrapping this whole thing. While that seems like a good move, it still seems to me you're in a world of hurt if some cop, disappointed at your paltry tea money offering, decides to charge you with bribery. 'Best to be generous with your, uh, "tips" I guess.