Life without alcohol, has all the fun gone?

giddyup

If someone wants to drink themselves into an early grave, then so be it. Their choice and none of my business, except when it comes to cleaning up after them on their daily forays into the world of oblivion. It's the total uselessness of it all, though, that gets to me. Even if you are a moderate or heavy drinker, you can still impose some discipline on yourself so that at least some part of your day is productive. Riding around Soi Buakaew and Beach Rd at 8 in the morning and watching people turning up at beer bars for their first drink of the day is an eye opener. Many moons ago when I was a wet behind the ears country boy, I arrived in Sydney and was hired by a pesticide firm. I was to be a truck driver's offsider on his early morning deliveries. So we set off at 7, and his first stop was an early opener where he proceeded to down two schooners of beer. An hour later, we stopped again for two more, and so on throughout the morning. The guy was a complete mess, but somehow kept his job. Next day when I refused to get out of the truck at the early opener, he abused me for not being a good "mate". But stuff that. I was young, fit and enjoying the bold new world of the big city.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone wants to drink themselves into an early grave, then so be it. Their choice and none of my business, except when it comes to cleaning up after them on their daily forays into the world of oblivion. It's the total uselessness of it all, though, that gets to me. Even if you are a moderate or heavy drinker, you can still impose some discipline on yourself so that at least some part of your day is productive. Riding around Soi Buakaew and Beach Rd at 8 in the morning and watching people turning up at beer bars for their first drink of the day is an eye opener. Many moons ago when I was a wet behind the ears country boy, I arrived in Sydney and was hired by a pesticide firm. I was to be a truck driver's offsider on his early morning deliveries. So we set off at 7, and his first stop was an early opener where he proceeded to down two schooners of beer. An hour later, we stopped again for two more, and so on throughout the morning. The guy was a complete mess, but somehow kept his job. Next day when I refused to get out of the truck at the early opener, he abused me for not being a good "mate". But stuff that. I was young, fit and enjoying the bold new world of the big city.

some cannot impose discipline on themselves. its called addiction

I fail to understand why anybody would need to sit in a bar and drink during the daytime ( or at night ) " every day of the week "

I don't drink and am busy with my hobbies every day walking,chatting,beach. The last thing i would want to do is have a drink!

i can only think people drink only out of " absolute boredom " and lets face it alcohol is outrageously expensive in Thailand! For the price of a couple of beers i could have a fab afternoon out on the train for that!

Farang Jaidee wub.png

I am, and have always been, a social drinker. Only beer. When lived in Phuket knew some people who started drink early afternoon. If i refused to join they thought something was wrong with me.

I know a guy here who is a silent alcoholic. If people can give me advise on reading the signs of how he indirectly requests help i would be grateful.

First off, how do you know he IS an alcoholic?

Okay....when he goes to bed he takes a bottle of beer with him to the bedroom....when he gets up he opens a bottle of beer.

No, it's not, it's called lack of discipline. Addiction is something else entirely, perhaps do a bit of research first.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Umm..

Some people would consider someone who fails to make their bed in the morning or doesn't clean their teeth having no discipline. Does that make them addicts? I'm not nitpicking, I'm pointing out the fact that lack of discipline and addiction have nothing to do with each other. Can you grasp it?

Edited by giddyup

I can drink or not drink. I can drink heavy or a little. I don't get hangovers. It's called self-control

What a hero!

It's great to have something to boast about.

I'm the same with gambling. Everyone should have at least one vice they eschew. Mine are gambling and self-righteous pontification, though, like many on here, I struggle with the latter.

SC

No, it's not, it's called lack of discipline. Addiction is something else entirely, perhaps do a bit of research first.

no one said lack of discipline was an addiction. I said some peope have a lack of disciplne BECAUSE of addiction. perhaps you should do a bit of reading comprehension before you worry about my research!

no one said lack of discipline was an addiction. I said some peope have a lack of disciplne BECAUSE of addiction. perhaps you should do a bit of reading comprehension before you worry about my research!

Addiction causes lack of discipline? You are making less and less sense. Quit while you are behind. Anyway addiction/discipline has nothing to do with the topic I started.

Edited by giddyup

Umm..

Some people would consider someone who fails to make their bed in the morning or doesn't clean their teeth having no discipline. Does that make them addicts? I'm not nitpicking, I'm pointing out the fact that lack of discipline and addiction have nothing to do with each other. Can you grasp it?

You weren't the target. Sorry about the bad timing on my part. You'll see that I have "liked" your previous post.

Giddyup, advice from your OP as follows:

15 years ago, I told the wife that I was going on the wagon for two months, to get all the crap out of the system. That was the last time I had an alcoholic drink (01-May-1999). The original intention was not to stop drinking full time, just the way it happened.

I came from a work environment where the mindset was work hard, play hard, which we certainly did. For me, that was a 23 year party period where I was drinking every single day, often to excess. Not big, not clever, just the way it was. I left the job, moved to and lived in Pattaya for the next 2 years, full on party mode. No regrets there.........thumbsup.gif

But I was like you, sick of waking up in the morning with hangovers, fuzzy brain for most of the day, etc.

When I made my mind up to quit for the 2 month period, the only thing I changed was what I drank when I was out at night with my friends. It never stopped me going into a bar/go-go/night club.

From your OP, "I used to love going out to the bars with a few mates............". So, after all that writing, my advice to you is don't let not drinking ruin your social life. Seriously, give it a try and change your drink when going out, even if it is only water. Stay in the same rounds, don't worry about the price and enjoy yourself! You might be pleasantly surprised.

For clarity, I am not one of those self rightous people, if you can drink without negative reactions from it, carry on..... wink.png For the ones that can't do so, try something different. Life is too short to isolate yourselves because of something as simple as wanting to stop drinking.

Edited by chrisinth

Umm..

You weren't the target. Sorry about the bad timing on my part. You'll see that I have "liked" your previous post.

OK, no problem, but my post is about still enjoying life without alcohol, not alcoholics.

Giddyup, advice from your OP as follows:

15 years ago, I told the wife that I was going on the wagon for two months, to get all the crap out of the system. That was the last time I had an alcoholic drink (01-May-1999). The original intention was not to stop drinking full time, just the way it happened.

I came from a work environment where the mindset was work hard, play hard, which we certainly did. For me, that was a 23 year party period where I was drinking every single day, often to excess. Not big, not clever, just the way it was. I left the job, moved to and lived in Pattaya for the next 2 years, full on party mode. No regrets there.........thumbsup.gif

But I was like you, sick of waking up in the morning with hangovers, fuzzy brain for most of the day, etc.

When I made my mind up to quit for the 2 month period, the only thing I changed was what I drank when I was out at night with my friends. It never stopped me going into a bar/go-go/night club.

From your OP, "I used to love going out to the bars with a few mates............". So, after all that writing, my advice to you is don't let not drinking ruin your social life. Seriously, give it a try and change your drink when going out, even if it is only water. Stay in the same rounds, don't worry about the price and enjoy yourself! You might be pleasantly surprised.

For clarity, I am not one of those self rightous people, if you can drink without negative reactions from it, carry on..... wink.png For the ones that can't do so, try something different. Life is too short to isolate yourselves because of something as simple as wanting to stop drinking.

Thanks, good advice.

Reconstruct your sentence so it's easily comprehensible and thus avoid double meanings.

I think some people are frightened to stop drinking because they lack the courage to overcome their inhibitions and trepidation sober.

I think some people go to the bar during the day to get out a bit, see the people passing by... better than staring at the four walls of your rented cell. I used to go to a coffee shop for the same reason.

SC

• Like 1

I think some people are frightened to stop drinking because they lack the courage to overcome their inhibitions and trepidation sober.

I think some people go to the bar during the day to get out a bit, see the people passing by... better than staring at the four walls of your rented cell. I used to go to a coffee shop for the same reason.

SC

I agree nobody has come to Thailand to spend all day indoors BUT there are other things to do outside rather than visit coffee shops and bars!

Umm..

OK, no problem, but my post is about still enjoying life without alcohol, not alcoholics.

Indeed, and I'm reading you. Continuing what Chris said above, when I was heavily involved in the party scene in Sydney 30 years ago, I lost a rugby bet and went on the wagon for a month (no booze, no drugs). I got roasted mercilessly when I went out with the troops, but stuck to my guns - the result was the obvious clean system and one more ... I got laid a lot more often :). While this might seem a strange thing to say, my heart problems are actually turning out to be a blessing in disguise as beforehand, though I wasn't a hopeless boozer, I was organising my life around my twice-weekly bar sessions and ensuring I had enough beer supplies in the house for the other nights. That's a strange way to live your life. So, anyway, just as garbage expands to fill the space alloted to it, so do interesting things expand to fill the extra time in your life from quitting booze. There are a million things to do right now. I'll get onto them soon. :)

• Like 1

i used to get terrible hangoversbah.gif until my doc told me to drink more water before and after drinking and just in general , he explained that its the dehydration that causes hangovers and i swear i dont get them any more thumbsup.gif

This Guy wrote what I have been thinking for year or two , and had just mentioned it to a friend on the phone , as we discussed a bar owner friend who turns 70 Today , down on Soi San Sabai in Patong , Patrick turns 70 , and usually throws a great feed & Party @ Patrick's Bar???
I hope he is still going strong ! Somebody has to party on in this LoS !

Give him a HB from Gary & Big Bill , Ex-Phuket-Patong Residents !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When you drink in a bar you take on the responsibility of behavior of everyone in the bar....you might be mellow but sitting next to a SOB/timebomb.....bars tend not to bring the best/well adjusted crowds - they tend to bring in/draw just the opposite.....

I disagree. I think it really depends where you go

soi 6 is always fun

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say the first mouthful after doing something strenuous in this hot weather is absolute heaven

Never has a truer word been said.

Back to the house in the village after a hot sweaty day on the farm, a shower and then those first few delicious glasses of cool lager, bliss....and then a few more glasses and the aches, pains and ant bites fade away as a glorious mellowing diffuses itself through the limbs and it's time to pick up the guitar, play a few songs to the grandson and then watch the news with the missus.

God bless beer (and the mia!)

I was clean and sober for twenty five years, until 2008 when I came to SE Asia on a visit. A couple of close friends were really leaning on me one night to have a sociable drink with them, and so I did. For the next six years, until about seven months ago, I drank pretty much every day, averaging maybe two large beers a day. And even though I have COPD, I often indulged in that crappy weed they have here. Cough, COUGH! So stupid. Only a couple of times did I get really drunk, so I figured I had never really been an alcoholic. That's just a catchall word to describe something that's a little different for everybody. My "thing" was beer and pot, usually in combination. Some of us have an endless capacity for self deception, for BS'ing ourselves. That's me.

One day last spring, might have been one of the "Buddha Days" that guys on here like to complain about, I decided to lay off for a while, to see if the low level depression I carry might lighten up. It did, but VERY SLOWLY, and every day I have to do some self talk and quiet reflection to keep it at bay. Before too long, I had some time behind me, and it felt like something worth working on. I started to take stock of my history, since the drinking and using re-started, and realized that I had been involved in some very avoidable bad scenes, that definitely would not have happened if I had not been going to bars. The kind of situations you read about on here and in the letters to "stickman". I kind of situation that always starts off "I have a friend who..." It's easy to blame the women we get involved with, but it is US. Even drinking alone at home was a big drag after a while.

Re-examining all those years of sobriety, I realize that I was still the same fool underneath, and I was "dry" more than actually "sober." Alcohol and drugs were part of the problem, but not THE problem. It was ME, and my ego. I was an "escape artist", who had a great problem with accepting everyday "reality." I had a lifelong case of "Is THAT all there is?" One was too many, and a thousand not enough. I came halfway round the world to be somebody else, but it did not work. To those of you who can drink or use recreational drugs "normally", my hat is off. I am in no position to judge anyone, nor would I wish to.

Have one for me.

I share your story to a TEE. My favourite definition of it: "If you have any kind of serious complication or problem in your life that occured as a result of the use of an intoxicant and you continue to use that intoxicant and as a result continue to have that problem, the BY DEFINITION , you have a substance abuse problem or addiction." Obviously the use of the intoxicant is more important to you than removal of the problem in your life.