Visa stamp expires on weekend. Overstay?

What kind of visa do you have?

You can get 30 days extension on a tourist visa but theses are not issued as multiple entry.

Extension can be made early, the extension starts when current permission of stay ends.

If you have a multiple entry non-immigrant visa you can get 7 days.

I have a multiple entry tourist visa. I was told by the people at immigration I could get a 30 day extension. Didnt really understand the reasoning I just hope I dont get a different story next time.

There is no "multiple entry" tourist visas, you most likely have 2 or 3 entries.

If the day you need to go falls on a weekend, then Monday is fine.

Tourist visas are not issued as multiple entries. They are only issued as 1, 2 or 3 entries.

You can do a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry on Monday and not be charged an overstay since your permit to stay is ended on a weekend. If you don't do it on Monday you will be charged 500 baht for every day.

There is no reason to wait until the last day to do it since it starts at the end of your 60 days.

I just don't understand how anyone can overstay, or doesn't have time to go get the extension or stamp done.

Your extension should be your priority. In 30 years have never overstayed, when the renewal/ extension is due it is Priority Number One. Everything else waits until I get back.

I just don't understand how anyone can overstay, or doesn't have time to go get the extension or stamp done.

Your extension should be your priority. In 30 years have never overstayed, when the renewal/ extension is due it is Priority Number One. Everything else waits until I get back.

Good for you, but not everyone in this world is the same. Somebody may forget or have other priorities. And they are fine (pun intended) paying the penalty.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/10/2014 at 1:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

Tourist visas are not issued as multiple entries. They are only issued as 1, 2 or 3 entries.

You can do a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry on Monday and not be charged an overstay since your permit to stay is ended on a weekend. If you don't do it on Monday you will be charged 500 baht for every day.

There is no reason to wait until the last day to do it since it starts at the end of your 60 days.

Thanks for confirming that it is okay to extend on the Monday after a weekend expiration. I was considering just going back into Laos because I was concerned that there would be enough time to get up to Mukdahan on the bicycle. Your confirmation in this thread helped me decide to give the run north a go. Incidentally, I ended up getting as far as Amnat Charoen to discover that they have an immigration office here, and successfully got the extension. I would have been able to make it to Mukdahan by Monday, but now I have no more time pressure, and can hang around Amnat for a week or so, and then proceed to Mukdahan comfortably. The point is that the info on this thread was very helpful in enabling me to stay the full 60 days in Thailand, instead of having to back out after only 30 days. So, problem finally solved, but I wanted to post it here for others in the same situation into the future.

FF

No, immigration is closed on Saturday and Sunday, so Monday will be first possible chance unless you were smart enough to go early on Friday.

You could have gone early you know and you still would have got the extension from the last day added on anyhow.

There was no need to wait to the last day, any time in the last week would have been acceptable.

Depending on the immigration office, Wednesdays and Thursdays are usually slow days.

2 hours ago, FrankyFreedom said:

Thanks for confirming that it is okay to extend on the Monday after a weekend expiration. I was considering just going back into Laos because I was concerned that there would be enough time to get up to Mukdahan on the bicycle. Your confirmation in this thread helped me decide to give the run north a go. Incidentally, I ended up getting as far as Amnat Charoen to discover that they have an immigration office here, and successfully got the extension. I would have been able to make it to Mukdahan by Monday, but now I have no more time pressure, and can hang around Amnat for a week or so, and then proceed to Mukdahan comfortably. The point is that the info on this thread was very helpful in enabling me to stay the full 60 days in Thailand, instead of having to back out after only 30 days. So, problem finally solved, but I wanted to post it here for others in the same situation into the future.

FF

Note that if you had attempted to exit the country on a Monday, after your permission-of-stay has expired over the weekend, that Would be Considered An Overstay. 

It is only at an Immigration Office where you get a 'grace period' until their next day they are open - not at border crossings.

On 6/9/2017 at 3:50 AM, JackThompson said:

Note that if you had attempted to exit the country on a Monday, after your permission-of-stay has expired over the weekend, that Would be Considered An Overstay. 

It is only at an Immigration Office where you get a 'grace period' until their next day they are open - not at border crossings.

Hi Jack.

Yes. To clarify, I was referring to showing up at the Mukdahan immigration office to do the EXTENSION on Monday - NOT cross the border. But you raised an important point for other people who read this thread into the future.

PEACE

• Like 1