opening acount with ed visa

Is it true I HAVE to have work permit to open a bank account?

I went to SCB by my home and they told me I have to have work permit.

I have ed visa so it is illegal to work.

I told them this and showed a letter from my school. I asked them how I can have wp if its illegal for me to work. Then I told them how does a retired foreigners get a account if its also illegal to work here under the 2 types of visas.

Yet once again I got that blank Thai smile.

Ive opened many acconts here with and wothout a WP seems to vary

You do not say whee you are

SCB Saphan Kwa not required

TMB yes

Kasikorn C Rai no questions asked

Bangkok Bank Emporium brought WP but not needed

Shop around

I'm by bang chak in bkk I wanted the scb because its really close to my home in case I need counter service. Especially when I'm dealing with required funds for marriage.

I opened two accounts on a tourist visa and one account on a ED visa. Simply walk into a bank and ask to open an account, Simples

Same advice.. if at first you dont succeed, try, try, again.

For years I put off getting a bank account because people told me I needed all sorts of documents. Then one day I just walked into a bank in Sihom and asked to open an account. No problems, they couldn't have been more helpful. All they asked for was a copy of all the pages in my passport.

Twenty minutes later I had an account, ATM card, a passbook all my passwords all organised.

This subjct has been beaten to death on this forum but to reiterate: Try different banks and even different branches of same bank. I tried to open an account at Citi bank at Central World (I am US citzen ) was told could not open any account. Went to Citi Bank same day near Asok station and they opened account for me with retirement Visa and deposit. Tried to open account at a Bangkok Bank Branch was told needed a work permit went to another a few blocks away they opened account with my retirment extension.

Basically each branch and managers of the branches make their own rules. just have to try different banks and branches, will need passport ,type of visa your on , address your staying at , maybe proof of income depends on branch.

Edited by Tony125

I opened two accounts on a tourist visa and one account on a ED visa. Simply walk into a bank and ask to open an account, Simples

Yes, if you check branches in an area where there are likely to be a number of farang residents or larger branches in urban areas you'll succeed. No point in the O/P arguing with the teller or manager. Having to deal with querulous farang is one reason some banks don't want to bother. Whining seldom accomplishes much.

• Like 1