"Amazing" Thailand Again! Utter Disgust!

Aldebaran1981

this country never fails to surprise me with its time and time again..

asked my parents to send me some of my used clothes and I was taxed half the declared "used" value.

What choice do I have but again to suck all this and pay to get my used stuff!

Corruption at its best in this Land of Scams

Edited by bonobo
removed profanity
  • Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the days of duty free imports are gone. I used to order a lot online now I'm getting shafted on every shipment.

I had an expensive item replaced under warranty and the Customs charged me full tax and wouldn't even look at my shipping and purchase receipts.

That's after they kept it in the system for two weeks.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the days of duty free imports are gone. I used to order a lot online now I'm getting shafted on every shipment.

I had an expensive item replaced under warranty and the Customs charged me full tax and wouldn't even look at my shipping and purchase receipts.

Customs officers must be reeking in billions of baht per year into their own pockets.

It's absolutely retarded to pay ridiculous tax on used items

Edited by bonobo
removed profanity
  • Like 1

Customs officers must be reeking in billions of baht per year into their own pockets.

Agreed. Thailand is the only Country I know of that charges VAT on used items too.

Next time make sure your package is sent as a gift with a low value.

Sometimes this helps but Customs are rabid at the moment.

Those are the rules here to call it corruption is crazy clothes are taxable.

When you import something you will have to pay, your lucky if it comes through, i have had many things slip through.

+1 those are the rules, it's not corruption.

• Like 2

You could just buy (cheap) new clothes? It's not like clothes are so expensive around here, are they?

While I do agree with you on this, there are cases when buying replacement clothes is not the answer.

What about brands that are not available in Thailand, I have favorite brands that I prefer to wear, even if my favorite brand is available here, chances are that they do not have it in 'Western' sizes.

When I left the West I gave away my old leather jacket but I have not been able to find a replacement that I feel comfortable with since I have been in Thailand

I would rather wear my old red tab 501s than having to break in and fade a new pair.

So why didn't you stick them in the suitcase when you moved here ?

• Like 1

You could just buy (cheap) new clothes? It's not like clothes are so expensive around here, are they?

While I do agree with you on this, there are cases when buying replacement clothes is not the answer.

What about brands that are not available in Thailand, I have favorite brands that I prefer to wear, even if my favorite brand is available here, chances are that they do not have it in 'Western' sizes.

When I left the West I gave away my old leather jacket but I have not been able to find a replacement that I feel comfortable with since I have been in Thailand

I would rather wear my old red tab 501s than having to break in and fade a new pair.

Maybe because when I first came here I did not know that I would stay here.

I am currently on an Education Visa but I have started to realize that there are so many opportunities here that I may never go back now.

I am currently on an Education Visa but I have started to realize that there are so many opportunities here that I may never go back now.

I love this part...before the honeymoon is over.

• Like 2

I'm not married.

I'm with you on this. When i went back to the UK for the first time in 4 years last months i brought back 1,000 pounds worth of trainers (sneakers) back that i had ordered online. No way was i having them sent to Thailand through mail as they'd most likely have been stolen never mind me getting stung by tax

I'm not married.

Its just an expression. Its that point in a relationship when you think your feelings of joy are actually going to last forever and you use words like "ever" and "forever" and "never".

There is a very large second hand clothing marketplace about 1 km north of Central World Mall, just 200 meters beyond the Thanon Ratchadamri overpass (west side of street). The regulars will know the name and correct my failing memory.

Cheers

I bought four items through Aliexpress over the past two months, all shipped from China via China Post. I fully expected to have to go to the post office and at least pay VAT. All arrived with no customs or VAT charges. I think that it's the luck of the draw.

Anything that I have shipped from the US I use USPS and have only been hit with VAT a couple of times but no customs. The one item that I had shipped DHL got hung up in customs until I paid the duty, 30%, and then the VAT when it was delivered. There have been previous post regarding customs duty and the use of DHL, Fed Ex and other courier services. It seems that these services are being scrutinized by customs.

I did ship a 40ft container from the US packed with a disassembled John Deere Harvester and did have to pay thee 5% duty and 7% VAT before it would be released for delivery.

Yes exactly what i did on entering thailand 8 years ago,arrived with 1 shirt, 2 shorts/tee shirts,1 trousers,1 jumper,2 pairs of socks/underpants, 2 pairs of shoes,and what i was standing in.

Needless to say i no longer have the shoes/socks or jumper.

500 bt later my wardrobe was full.

Try this..

Have the goods addressed to a friend who lives in a more remote location of Thailand and address it to their Thai partner.

Customs target consignments addressed to foreigners with final destinations like BKK, Pattaya, Phuket etc.

Very unlikely a consignment will be picked out if it looks like a Thai recipient and up country.

Once received by the surrogate consignee they can send cheaply by EMS domestically to you.

Not totally risk free, but the customs donkeys only segregate the 'sure scam' opportunities at a glance usually.

Simple rule, always use a Thai name and even better to write address in thai .

Posted over 20 boxes not too long ago, all addressed to thai name and all written in thai.

Every single one arrived without a single hick up or a baht in tax.

• Like 1

half the declared value seems approx right.

As everything get taxed with the highest value items tax. Which might be 30%. But as you also pay tax on the shipping and VAT on top of all you are easily at 50%.

Posted over 20 boxes not too long ago, all addressed to thai name and all written in thai.

Take a box with a name and address written in Thai script to a , let's say, post office in Wichita Kansas and see how far the package gets.

The first thing is send it via post, either air and ground, and don't use any of the courier services. Anything shipped via normal post goes directly into the Thai postal system and can be tracked all of the way using the same tracking number. It seems that the courier services draw more attention from customs.

• Like 2

Take a box with a name and address written in Thai script to a , let's say, post office in Wichita Kansas and see how far the package gets.

The first thing is send it via post, either air and ground, and don't use any of the courier services. Anything shipped via normal post goes directly into the Thai postal system and can be tracked all of the way using the same tracking number. It seems that the courier services draw more attention from customs.

Use little common sense and add "Thailand" in English and see how easy parcel will be posted and receivedcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

The saving grace being these duties do not only apply to Farang. The Thais have to wear it (excuse the pun) as well.

Several years ago a good friend passed away, he and his Thai wife lived in Aust. many years. His wife moved back to Thailand and his parents sent some of her possessions over including old keepsakes from her marriage. The customs evaluation was ridiculous and she was prepared to tell them to shove the lot up there respective coits. After cooling down and out of respect for her Parents in Law (Great People) she paid the duty BUT to the end they showed NO mercy --- effin pricks.

Edited by bdenner

it's crazy sh!t.

Most countries charge a tax on importing used and/or refurbished goods.

Based on fair market value, and sadly that doesn't happen here.

Agreed. Thailand is the only Country I know of that charges VAT on used items too.

Next time make sure your package is sent as a gift with a low value.

Sometimes this helps but Customs are rabid at the moment.

You're (normally) allowed one consignment of personal effects. After that, you pay whatever is due. Pretty easy to understand.

That's only if you're coming in on a residency visa

Or a Non Imm B for at least one year. From The Customs Department website ...

• Nonresidents: Nonresidents may import the used/secondhand household effects acquired abroad tax and duty free if such household effects accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the criteria listed below:
  • Nonresidents resuming residents in Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in a passport or a Nonresident Identification Card; or
  • Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand are regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department. In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted:
    • The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or
    • The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

​Obviously seen that the guy is on an Ed Visa ... can't understand why he thinks he shouldn't pay the duty on stuff he's importing.

Edited by rajyindee