Interior Ministry to discuss with PM on conducting artificial rains

Lite Beer

Interior Ministry to discuss with PM on conducting artificial rains

BANGKOK, 11 Oct 2014, (NNT) - Interior Minister General Anupong Paojinda has said he has discussed with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha the prospect of conducting royal rainmaking operations in drought-hit provinces.

General Anupong said the operation would trigger precipitation in the affected areas, helping easing the drought problem.

The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has been ordered to compile the drought data in its irrigation areas, said the Minister, adding that the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment is also doing the same thing for the drought areas outside the irrigation zone.

General Anupong said the data from the two agencies would provide information on the damaged areas and help the authorities devise assistance plans for the victims.

Currently, there are about 5,000 known sub-districts suffering from drought.

The Interior Minister has also said that farmers have been asked to avoid planting off-season rice, as the nearby dams do not have enough water supply for agriculture during this period; besides, the government has been unable to sell as much as 7 million tons of last year's off-season rice remaining in its stockpile.

General Anupong also said that officials would look for ways to generate jobs for rice farmers to take on during this period.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-11 footer_n.gif

i find this interesting i think from previous rain making attempts the positive results were far from successful ie costs vs results in the end product like increased crops other interest will be to see the plan for farmers other jobs i am certainly not doubting the idea of either project

much of a muchness = more exspense just to prove worth 0+0 =0

• Like 1

If they can, really, make rain, why don't they do it then?

What's the point of discussing it with the PM while, 5,000 known sub-districts suffering from drought?

I do suspect it's another pointless talk.

How dare you doubt a royal project??w00t.gif

Firstly, (like the fishing Rod analogy ""give the man a rod and teach him to fish) ..the saying attributed to a certain unmentionable -

This likewise is not a thai invention -(or idea)

Vincent J. Schaefer, invented it!

Nor can it aways work -

Simply put it is about causing droplets to bind on a Sub atomic level …Causing it to increase mass- droplets and fall.

Thus Rain.

But you need the particles to begin with.

Clear skies and drought are not ideal conditions.

Pretending it comes from on high isn't either.

Its science - Not Thai

And can only work under certain circumstances

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

Edited by Fred Flinstone
  • Like 1

I hope the Govt. has REAL solutions in hand,and don't wait until

there is a real shortage of water,before trying to do something about

it,as seems the be normal here,fix it after the event.

The dry season is many months with out rain,up here in Chiang Mai,

we have had the least rain I have seen in last 25 Years,but on the other

side the growth of Malls,Housing estates and Condos,is a huge increase

in demand.so things don't look good

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Please spend a few minutes on the net before posting.

Thailand working on this for the 1950 and capable do do so.

And yes they need to find a budget, also some questions about silver ending up into the environment.

And yes it is expensive, i would get some experts in water management to manage the water in wet seasons to use during dry seasons.

Or if having each year same problems ask the Thais to stop eating rice and get food produced needed less water (bread will do)

• Like 1

there is more rain per year in this country than they could ever use. If they managed their water properly there would be far less flooding and no need to ever worry about a drought. Spend the money and direct your efforts in the right direction for once.

That requires critical.logical and sensible thinking. Sorry; wrong country....move along please !

• Like 2

i find this interesting i think from previous rain making attempts the positive results were far from successful ie costs vs results in the end product like increased crops other interest will be to see the plan for farmers other jobs i am certainly not doubting the idea of either project

much of a muchness = more exspense just to prove worth 0+0 =0

To my knowledge it was the King who improved the method so there is far less silver necessary than in the way the Soviets were doing it. That means it is much cheaper. But that method works only to get rain out of high moisture air.

For example high moisture air comes from somewhere north and is blown over the sea where it rains. You can let it rain earlier.

If the air is dry you can't do an artificial rain.

So you need the right situation and good knowledge about the method. Than it is successful.

Google for Geoengineering ... it's patented, working and is done all over Thailand [and most of the rest of thew world]

on an enormous scale.

Problem is: to make rain in one region ALWAYS creates drought somewhere else !

It's also destroying the ozone layer.

I am waiting for all the people calling this a conspiracy ... well it's not. It's fact !!! And I see it every day in the sky above my head !!!

Virtually, if not literally, the " Cloud Seeding" was found to not work and was abandoned 20yearsa ago so, naturally, Thailand will show up the rest of the scientific world. When, after a "seeding" some moisture occurs, scientists have said it was just coincidental and would have rained then even with no "seeding !

Creating rain was a dream in many countries before it was 'invented' by a genious here in Thailand.

Doesn't work in any practical sense, so everybody else dropped the idea.

Here though, they still believe it works - they are taught that daily on television.

Let 'em waste their time and money - it's not advisable to speak out about the fact that it doesn't work.

If Thais want to think the saying ""Give the man a rod and teach him to fish " is attributed to a certain individual (as the general promotes in his weekly speeches)

Or that seeding clouds is a Thai invention …so what?

The whole country was build on science and engineering from other countries.

Its insulting in Thailand to tell the truth -

If the general says he can make it rain (just prior to a big low pressure helps it along) and he says the planes did it so what?

This guy is like the uncle that sneaks into rooms and tells special stories while doing other things.

Thais are used to this.

"Eat your Rice ""…".i care you know?"

Really , this is evolution -

They need to educate themselves be discerning -

Edited by Fred Flinstone

I was awakened from my sleep last night by the sound of the diesel-engined locomotive passing through Surin. What has this to do with a shortage of water you may ask? Where I live south of the tracks, I never hear the train during the long, wet summer months. I only hear the train during the dry winter months when the wind is coming from a northerly direction. It has always been a good indicator in the past so I can now announce, with some certainty, that the dry, cool winter months are just around the corner. Another sure sign that the climate is about to change is the appearance of lots of colourful kites for sale by the side of the road. The northerly winds are here again. I fear that what water is in the resevoirs and lakes is all you are likely to have until the rains come around again next year. Fortunately, Surin had good rains this summer and the lakes and resevoirs are full. The predicted drought next year, caused by the El Nino effect, could hit affect many parts of Thailand quite hard, especially in those areas already experiencing drought this year.