Converting a Tourist Visa to Non Immigration B or O Visa

I'm currently in Thailand on a Tourist visa with over a month remaining.

I recently got a job offer for a 100k/month job in BKK.

The company has supplied all the documents required for the Non-Immigration B visa and told me to travel to Singapore to apply for the visa.

They want me to do this on Monday so I can start work later in the week.

My Thai wife is just about to have a baby at any minute so I don't want to leave the country.

I see on the Ministry of foreign affairs website that I can convert a Tourist Visa to Non Immigration B or O Visa.

I don't have 400K in a bank account to show.

I don't have university transcripts with me here in Thailand.

I don't already have a work permit.

My Questions are:

1. I don't have 400K in a bang account. Is there any way I can still get a non-immigration O visa considering the amount I will be earning?
  2. Does anyone have experience converting to a non-immigration B visa in Bangkok? How hard was it?
Edited by WayneThompson

1. even with 400K, there are no reports about the conversion being done for marriage. Only done for retirement. So people that is marries has to go to place like Savannkhet laso to get their non-imm 'O' visa.

2. there are few reports, from these it is not something that they are inclined to do, and may require multiple visits.

You can convert your tourist visa to a Non-O for marriage purposes. But on application you either have to have 400k in a Thai bank in your name only, the money doesn't have to be seasoned, or proof of 40k income a month. The conversion can only be don e in Bangkok. They will issue you a Non-O with 90 days permission to stay which can be extended for 1 year, "Thai Wife", during the last 30 days (45 at some locations). The money does have to be seasoned for 2 months for the conversion but does for the extension.. Most labor offices will issue a work permit on a marriage extension.

I don't think that you can convert your tourist visa to a Non-B without leaving the country. I think that one of the requirements is that you first have to apply for the work permit, which can be done on a TV, as the receipt is necessary for the Non-B application. You then take that and the paperwork to a Consulate/Embassy in a neighboring country and get the Non-B then pickup your WP.

Savannakhet to probably better as it has been reported that Singapore can be difficult.

You cannot legally work until you have a work permit. Just getting a non-b visa is not enough. Your work permit can be applied for with your tourist visa entry.

Without 400k baht in the bank or proof of 40k baht income you cannot do a conversion to a non-o visa. And without a work permit application approval letter you will not be able to do a conversion to a non-b at Bangkok immigration.

Singapore is the only location within the region that will issue a non-b without a work permit approval letter. Info here: http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-b

You could go out to one of the neighboring countries and get a single entry non-o based upon marriage to a Thai. You could get your work permit issued with this visa and then later do the extension based upon marriage or working.

Savannakhet Laos is doing visas on the same day they are applied for.

• Like 2

You can convert your tourist visa to a Non-O for marriage purposes. But on application you either have to have 400k in a Thai bank in your name only, the money doesn't have to be seasoned, or proof of 40k income a month. The conversion can only be don e in Bangkok. They will issue you a Non-O with 90 days permission to stay which can be extended for 1 year, "Thai Wife", during the last 30 days (45 at some locations). The money does have to be seasoned for 2 months for the conversion but does for the extension.. Most labor offices will issue a work permit on a marriage extension.

I don't think that you can convert your tourist visa to a Non-B without leaving the country. I think that one of the requirements is that you first have to apply for the work permit, which can be done on a TV, as the receipt is necessary for the Non-B application. You then take that and the paperwork to a Consulate/Embassy in a neighboring country and get the Non-B then pickup your WP.

Savannakhet to probably better as it has been reported that Singapore can be difficult.

"The money does have to be seasoned for 2 months for the conversion but does for the extension."

Did you mean "does NOT" have to be seasoned for the conversion??

You can extend first with 60 days to let the money season in the bank.

From Police order 138/2557

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 60 days.

1. Application form.

2. Copy of applicants passport.

3. Copy of household registration certificate.

4. Copy of national ID card of the person having Thai nationality.

5. Copy of a marriage certificate or copy of a birth certificate.

What is the easiest way to get to Savannakhet, Laos from Chiang Mai or Bangkok?

By air to Mukdahan. Nok Air and Air Asia has a fly ride service to there via Nakhon Phanom. Then the bus to Savannakhet.

From Chiang Mai you would have to fly to Bangkok and connect with flight. Or you could fly to Udon Thani on Nok Air and then get a bus to Mukdahan.

Lao Airways also has flights from BKK to Savannakhet but they are expensive.

This topic has a lot of info abut getting there also. Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet