How safe is the safe

luis888

I arrived last night at my regular hotel (4th time can I call it regular) and screwed up the safe code , phoned the desk and the manager (?) came up and with a key opened the safe, reset the code and explained to me how to put in a new code.

My question is, the safe is not really safe is it? Any time anyone with the key can open the safe and see or take what they want.

Where can I leave my holiday money?

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key would be restricted to management. Am sure a major hotel cashier can provide a credit voucher if you give the cash to them and if you feel safe is not safe - but you likely would not feel voucher safe in that case. Most people travel with credit/debit cards these days so do not have that problem.

I am sure you would receive many offers of holding your money if you let it be known. smile.png

• Like 1

The safety of your safe contents equates to your trust of the hotel management.

If you do not trust your room safe, deposit your valuables with the management with a witnessed itemized receipt.

Itemized receipt being the key because by doing this you already don't trust the management....................wink.png

Just like the "safe" at the front desk of most hotels....it is not 100% safe.

But it does restrict the number of people who could possibly get into your things.

If something goes missing..it is probably someone from the hotel who can open the safe....

not the maid who looked under the bed and found your computer or camera.

My question is, the safe is not really safe is it? Any time anyone with the key can open the safe and see or take what they want.

Where can I leave my holiday money?

in the bank, just take out what you need,,,, simples

I agree 100%

My first trip to Thailand many years ago not knowing what to expect,, I brought thousands of dollars (US) in cash and worried about it a lot...

Should I carry it on me? Leave it in my suitcase? Leave it in the hotel safe?

I also found it was difficult to exchange USD for Thai Baht if the bills were not crisp and had no marks on them!!

Once I realized that I could access my USA bank accounts from ATMs here, I have never carried more cash than I need.

No worries!

• Like 1

The key would be restricted to management. Am sure a major hotel cashier can provide a credit voucher if you give the cash to them and if you feel safe is not safe - but you likely would not feel voucher safe in that case. Most people travel with credit/debit cards these days so do not have that problem.

I am sure you would receive many offers of holding your money if you let it be known. smile.png

Yep any decent hotel the safe getting opened can only be done by management.

I had to wait 24 hours once for the owner to return. Bit frustrating, but nice to know not just anyone can crack the safe.

Pretty much every electronic safe has a hard key. Safes in hotels pretty much always will for the exact reason you described. A guest forgets the code so they need to unlock it.

I have seen this happen.

A hotel guest is getting ready to check out.

He or she takes his or her valuables out of the safe just before he or she leaves.

Then the guest closes and locks the safe as they depart.

Of course, there is no way to find out what the combo they used during their stay was.

They are gone, and the safe is locked when the next quest checks in.

That is why the registration desk can open the safe with their key or combo.

• Like 1

Use the safe deposit box at the front desk. Two keys are required to open it, one of which you keep. If you lose it, they have to call a locksmith to drill out the cylinder at your expense. It takes an hour and makes a hell of a racket. Nobody will be sneaking into your safe deposit box in the middle of the night.

1. The housekeeping staff generally knows how to open and reset the "safes".

Yes they know how (obviously since it's their job to show you how to operate it when you check in) but if you've been paying attention to the thread, you'll realize they don't have the master key so this knowledge is pretty useless if the safe is locked.

Be that as it may, I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and have had to have the safe opened any number of times, and I've never had to have a manager come the the room to do it.

So a housekeeping person was able to open your safe - did they use a key or did they have their own code?

The whole point of having a safe is to provide guests with a storage compartment that housekeeping staff can't get into. A hotel that installs safes in rooms and then hands out override codes to all the room cleaners is certifiably insane. If word of that were to get out on hotel review web sites, they'd have a serious trust problem scaring away potential customers.

Had I been in your shoes and seen how easily a maid opened my safe, I'd be giving the manager an earful and possibly even switching hotels.

Be that as it may, I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and have had to have the safe opened any number of times, and I've never had to have a manager come the the room to do it.

Had I been in your shoes and seen how easily a maid opened my safe, I'd be giving the manager an earful and possibly even switching hotels.

That's because you keep valuables in the safe, I do not.

You've stayed there four times now..if your safe wasn't cracked during the first three times then the probability of someone opening it on the fourth visit must be pretty low.

Your comment is valid but as I'd not seen them do it, it never crossed my mind that the safe is not that safe. My post is also to alert other people that aren't aware (like I wasn't) that there is a weak link.

I would say that the safe by reception that you use 2 keys is the best way to go. Unfortunately my current hotel doesn't.

Your comment is valid but as I'd not seen them do it, it never crossed my mind that the safe is not that safe. My post is also to alert other people that aren't aware (like I wasn't) that there is a weak link.

I would say that the safe by reception that you use 2 keys is the best way to go. Unfortunately my current hotel doesn't.

I think most people have probably guessed that the hotel management would be able to access the safe if necessary. What did you think happened if someone forgot the code or just left the safe locked when they checked out?

I'm surprised he actually used a key to open the safe, normally they do it with a potato.

I actually feel sorry for you, you must lead a very sad life, obviously you have nothing to do and worst of all , aren't intelligent enough to write something funny, humor I enjoy but stupidity I don't

I'm surprised he actually used a key to open the safe, normally they do it with a potato.

I actually feel sorry for you, you must lead a very sad life, obviously you have nothing to do and worst of all , aren't intelligent enough to write something funny, humor I enjoy but stupidity I don't

Errrr, it's true.

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

True if the hotel uses cheap safes with solenoid release, but more up market safes use motorised bolts.

One way to tell is if your safe is a solenoid bolt is it will have a turn knob, when you enter the correct code it will click and you can turn the knob, it will also timeout, so a few seconds later you will hear another click as the solenoid releases, motorised bolts tend not to have turn knobs and "whuur" as they open and will "whuur" again as they lock.

One reason for house keeping needing to unlock safes is guest on departure often close and lock the safe after emptying it.