Tough Decision - Advice Please

I have 4 dogs and one gave birth to 5 pups.

My big dog bit one of them and it can't eat or drink milk(1 month old). it's head looks swollen/misshapen. My wife says it her responsibility as her dog bit it and because of her religion won't put it out it's misery. I am not prepared to take it to the vet and pay any money for it to survive but am prepared to take it to the river and drown it, which I think is an act of compassion, but maybe I am wrong. Is there a kinder way to kill a puppy?

Killing is an act of compassion? Interesting. happy.png

IMHO, the ONLY humane action would be to take the little one, who is the sole victim here and completely incapable of defending itself, to the vet immediately.
Maybe there is irreversible damage, or maybe the damage can be 'repaired' with medical care and humanely putting this total innocent one out of its misery is then not necessary.

Edited by Nienke

Having worked with rescue horses for a while, I'd say the best course of action is treatment at a vet. If the pup recovers, you may find yourself with a nice pet. If recovery isn't going to happen, see if the vet has some "blue juice" - I'm sure it exists. A gunny sack in the river is not a pleasant way to euthanize an injured animal - you can find more humane ways.

Female dogs will often kill the weakest member of the litter . I have saved a few of the rejected pups in the past only to have the mother kill it later on, or by fate it will die in some other way. Nature has some strange ways and sometimes i am sure it is wiser in the end not to meddle to save the pup. If it suffering then make sure it's death is quick and as painless as possible .

• Like 1

OP, pm me your vet's bank account and I will pay the vet bill .

Once puppy is healthy send it over to me, better yet put all your animals out on the street as they have a better chance of survival and a chance at a better life in the street than with you.

• Like 2

Ive decided to keep and try to help the pup. Been nursing it all night/day and outting an ice pack on its head. It looks like the bump has liquid inside.

might take it to the vet but worried about the fees.attachicon.gifPHOTO_20141014_162220.jpgattachicon.gifPHOTO_20141014_162220.jpgattachicon.gifPHOTO_20141014_162220.jpgattachicon.gif PHOTO_20141014_162217.j

Good man compassion to all animals,humans on the other hand new topic, offer from other op for payment take this option and go to the vets at once,better still get thai lady if at all your lady is thai,then you won't get farang prices.

If you are in Pattaya, I cam recommend a wonderful little husband and wife Vet clinic who are extremely reasonable in their charges yet do excellent work. The were originally recommended to me and I haven't gone anywhere else since. (I have 3 dogs).

They are very compassionate and there's no way they will rip you off. I went in their once with minor problem for my dog and they charged me 20 Baht....

But they are good and have all the necessary equipment, blood tests etc and will give you the results while you wait, unlike some of the fancier places.

You can always ask the approximate cost before they do anything - they don't mind.

Let me know if you need the location details.

OP, pm me your vet's bank account and I will pay the vet bill .

Once puppy is healthy send it over to me, better yet put all your animals out on the street as they have a better chance of survival and a chance at a better life in the street than with you.

What a nice gesture, We need more people like you in the world....

Ive decided to keep and try to help the pup. Been nursing it all night/day and outting an ice pack on its head. It looks like the bump has liquid inside.

might take it to the vet but worried about the fees. PHOTO_20141014_162220.jpg PHOTO_20141014_162220.jpg PHOTO_20141014_162220.jpg PHOTO_20141014_162217.jpg

Where are you?what part of Thailand ?

It's infected and would need 3 antibiotic shots, around 250 baht per shot

As I said before , send the dog to me and will cover all the vet bills

The limp on the head is most likely a hematoma caused by a broken blood vessel when the dog was bitten and will resolve itself and reabsorb the blood over time (if there is no infection), If you take him to the vet he might elect to drain it but usually they don't. It' s like a lump on your head when you smash it into something. He also might give an antibiotic injection such as amoxicyllin. It really shouldn't cost very much.

Glad that you took him in and are caring for him. Most of my eight Thai mutts were either picked up on the side of the road or brought to me because they were sick and were never picked up.