Bangkok: Former anti-government protest guards arrested for weapons

webfact

Former Anti-Government Protest Guards Arrested For Weapons
By Khaosod English

14131831761413183234l.jpg
Police say they have arrested two security guards affiliated with the pre-coup protest movement on suspicion of possessing military-grade weapons.

BANGKOK — Police say they have arrested two security guards affiliated with the pre-coup protest movement on suspicion of possessing military-grade weapons.

Chaiya Phan, 21, and Sumet Hansuwan, 32, were arrested in Huay Kwang district of Bangkok over the weekend, police say. Both men reportedly belonged to a security unit of the People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), which organized six months of street protests against the former government before the military intervened and staged a coup on 22 May.

According to police, a raid on the suspects' residence turned up one grenade launcher, three tear gas canisters, two frag grenades, 62 homemade explosives, and five sets of body armour.

Police did not elaborate how they tracked down the two suspects, but said they were connected to a separate investigation into an illegal drug ring in Bangkok.

Chaiya and Sumet reportedly told police that they had no connection with the weapons, which they said belonged to a "friend" who dropped them off during the PCAD protests.

Both men have been charged with possessing illegal firearms and explosives.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1413183176&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-13

• Like 1

Well done. Equal protection under the law is a principle of democracy to that was sadly missing before.

Any terrorist deserves to be put "in jail for a very long time. Good to see there is no discrimination between red and yellow. I for one make no excuses or defend anyone arrested on terrorism as some on this forum sadly do all too often. "They were defending themselves". "The courts are biased". "The reds are peaceful". "They are fake reds". "The weapons were planted by the military" and the list of excuses for the terrorists go on and on.

No excuses here. Let them rot in jail.

• Like 1

Now we just waiting for the Suthep-lovers to come along and tell us, that the grenate-launcher was only meant as self-defence against the evil redshirts!!whistling.gif

You've been telling us for four years that red shirts were peaceful and unarmed and that there were no black shirts among the reds. I doubt you will find many that believe you or condone the use of weapons by either side, but you go ahead and troll to your hearts content.

Do you work for TAT by any chance?? I wonder, because you are as good with numbers as they are!

I have been a member here for less than 2 months, and I have (according to you) been sprouting my red-shirt propaganda here for 4 years!!

I guess "they" all look the same??coffee1.gif

Sorry, I must have confused you with the rest of the screwballs, maybe something you said.

Whoever they are anyone with those kind of weapons deserves to be out of circulation.

Wonder who their present employers are ? Hope they have no connection with the southern terrorists, sorry insurgents.

Don't need the killings down there brought north.

• Like 1

Now we just waiting for the Suthep-lovers to come along and tell us, that the grenate-launcher was only meant as self-defence against the evil redshirts!!whistling.gif

The grenate-launcher was only meant as self-defence against the evil redshirts!!

Happy now?

The grenate-launcher was captured from from redshirts!!

x14131831761413183234l.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

They guy with the microphone is explaining to the PO how to operate the launcher: "...and now you turn it around so that the round opening points at your head..."

With general safety on handling weapons I wouldn't trust a Thai Policeman much considering the other incompetence we hear daily.

You've been telling us for four years that red shirts were peaceful and unarmed and that there were no black shirts among the reds. I doubt you will find many that believe you or condone the use of weapons by either side, but you go ahead and troll to your hearts content.

Do you work for TAT by any chance?? I wonder, because you are as good with numbers as they are!

I have been a member here for less than 2 months, and I have (according to you) been sprouting my red-shirt propaganda here for 4 years!!

Typical of a "Newbie" to spoil a good (albeit fabricated) yarn with "facts".

You'll come across many "white lies" from Oldies - like my Gran, they mean well, but they are long in the tooth department, so give them some leeway if they are occasionally "confused".

I guess you weren't listening when your Gran told you that it was better to keep your mouth closed and have people think you're fool, than to speak and prove it. Have a nice day junior.

With general safety on handling weapons I wouldn't trust a Thai Policeman much considering the other incompetence we hear daily.

I can't remember exactly when, but a few years ago, after arresting some suspects, a police honcho with buttery fingers actually dropped a bomb on the floor during one of their show and tell things with the press.

"Chaiya and Sumet reportedly told police that they had no connection with the weapons, which they said belonged to a "friend" who dropped them off during the PCAD protests."

It would seem that most of the people arrested and charged for possession of 'war weapons' over the last months are in fact really innocent, but just happen to have the 'wrong friends'.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well done. Equal protection under the law is a principle of democracy to that was sadly missing before.

Any terrorist deserves to be put "in jail for a very long time. Good to see there is no discrimination between red and yellow. I for one make no excuses or defend anyone arrested on terrorism as some on this forum sadly do all too often. "They were defending themselves". "The courts are biased". "The reds are peaceful". "They are fake reds". "The weapons were planted by the military" and the list of excuses for the terrorists go on and on.

"Equal protection under the law is a principle of democracy to that was sadly missing before."

Kind of like the now missing Constitution that provided equal protection under the law that was thrown out by the Junta and replaced with martial law and its own Interim Charter. Moving ever forward towards democracy!

• Like 1

Agree. If the party is over get rid of the party toys. They could (possibly) have plead self defense 5 months ago but not now. That sh&t should have been destroyed or "left at a police station gate" months ago. Bit curious about the drug inquiries. Makes me wonder if that bit wasn't just invented to bolster someone's view of the cause. Anything is possible though, I guess.

Typical of a "Newbie" to spoil a good (albeit fabricated) yarn with "facts".

You'll come across many "white lies" from Oldies - like my Gran, they mean well, but they are long in the tooth department, so give them some leeway if they are occasionally "confused".

Its the banned ones who keep coming back with different names who cause the confusion.

Yeah! Good point. Who "vanished" just about 2 months ago?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Equal protection under the law is a principle of democracy to that was sadly missing before."

Kind of like the now missing Constitution that provided equal protection under the law that was thrown out by the Junta and replaced with martial law and its own Interim Charter. Moving ever forward towards democracy!

Well, the Martial Law provided equal prosecution by law.

A constitution is also called a charter. So if you want to complain you should write about the 2007 constitution having been abrogated and a new 2014 Interim Constitution legalised.

BTW the new Interim Constitution still offers equal protection by law

"Section 4. Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, all human dignity, rights, liberties and equality of the people protected by the constitutional convention under a democratic regime of government with the King as the Head of State, and by international obligations bound by Thailand, shall be protected and upheld by this Constitution."

The 2007 version was a bit more clear, or vague depending on your personal views

"Section 5. The Thai people, irrespective of their origins, sexes or religions, shall enjoy equal protection under this Constitution."

• Like 1

doesnt matter who has this crap they need to be arrested and it needs to be taken off the streets. I see that those trying to score points are the same ones that defended the other lot when they were caught, any weapons like this need to be found and confiscated whether they are from reds or yellows, seems some people cant get over their own bias though when it comes to everyones lives at risk.

"Chaiya and Sumet reportedly told police that they had no connection with the weapons, which they said belonged to a "friend" who dropped them off during the PCAD protests."

It would seem that most of the people arrested and charged for possession of 'war weapons' over the last months are in fact really innocent, but just happen to have the 'wrong friends'.

What, no comments about "nightly cowardly grenade attacks by the red shirts" (the only people who had grenade launchers apparently coffee1.gif )

Edited by fab4