I have a question to the more advanced members here.

How much English Pounds can I send to Thailand per any one transaction? Is there a limit ?

Also how much cash (English Pounds ) can you legally carry on you on your trip to Thailand.

Thank you in advance ;-)

Edited by bigwhitewarrior

There is no limit for how much cash you can leave the UK with but amounts over the equivalent of 10,000 Euros must be declared if you're leaving the EU. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/declaring-cash.htm

If using Western Union the limits vary, it depends if you're doing online and then how often you've used the service. Not sure about the limits if you're paying cash at an agent, but because of money laundering regulations, I'm sure there will be limits. Western Union offers a very poor exchange rate, that's where they make their money. http://www.westernunion.co.uk/gb/faq-send-money-online

You have to declare it to HMRC, you may have to prove where the money came from and what it's for, with the worst possible scenario being, if they don't believe you, the money could be seized and you could have to apply to a court to have the cash returned.

The details are given via the link I posted earlier today.

The safest, easiest and most cost effective method is to open a bank account in Thailand and transfer the money electronically.

• Like 1

I have to be on thailand to open an account which defeats the object somewhat

Not really, when I did a similar thing I opened an account when I got to Thailand and then used online banking to transfer the funds, a mate did something similar and called his bank in the UK to transfer the funds.

Really up to you, you could use multiple Western Union transactions, their maximum sum online is £4,000 and will cost £15 a pop, don't know if you can do it multiple times, not too expensive at £60 but their rate is pretty poor. Not sure of the limits for cash over the counter.

Or you could break the HMRC rules and do as you're thinking and split the cash between your hand and checked luggage and risk the chance of it being seized.

Yes he can send £800 cash by using an agent, though the charges are higher and the rate of exchange is worse.

Doing it online would require two transactions as there is a limit of £400 for each of the first two transactions.

Have a look at the link in my first post.

You are right in saying that a bank transfer would be better.

I have to be on thailand to open an account which defeats the object somewhat

Not really, when I did a similar thing I opened an account when I got to Thailand and then used online banking to transfer the funds, a mate did something similar and called his bank in the UK to transfer the funds.

Really up to you, you could use multiple Western Union transactions, their maximum sum online is £4,000 and will cost £15 a pop, don't know if you can do it multiple times, not too expensive at £60 but their rate is pretty poor. Not sure of the limits for cash over the counter.

Or you could break the HMRC rules and do as you're thinking and split the cash between your hand and checked luggage and risk the chance of it being seized.

I think I am right in saying the OP would also need to declare it on entry to Thailand as it is over the $20,000 limit? There is no problem there unless you don't declare it and it gets found.

Edit to say if he was carrying it as cash.

Edited by topt

I think I am right in saying the OP would also need to declare it on entry to Thailand as it is over the $20,000 limit? There is no problem there unless you don't declare it and it gets found.

Edit to say if he was carrying it as cash.

Yes, you're spot on, I should have mentioned that.