Arson attack on six schools baffles, stuns Pattani residents

webfact

Arson attack on six schools baffles, stuns Pattani residents
The Nation
October

PATTANI: -- Local teachers have suggested that arson attacks on six Pattani schools on Sunday may not only stem from the insurgency - as the media and state officials quickly concluded - but may have been caused by other issues in this violence-gripped region.

The attacks have prompted fear among local people, who are saddened that the region's unrest has not improved, as expected.

A woman teacher in Pattani (name withheld) told Isara News that the motives may be more than continuous unrest.

"Every time arson takes place at a school, it is in an old building; it is rare for it to occur in a newly-built one that [had cost a lot of money].

"Anyone questioning this would be targeted; eventually it's the teachers because some know what's going on and paid with their lives, especially when daring to touch upon certain 'interests'," she said.

Like several teachers interviewed, she described the region as filled with unrest and "influences in and outside schools", so it was a situation that required caution. "When an attack occurs, teachers are fearful for their lives and the problem becomes more complicated. Local schools, especially private ones, get more funding from various channels," she added.

Central security measures, such as installing alarms in schools so Army units could be alerted immediately, weren't the best solution, she said.

"The only way is to create a good understanding with the community, which would be the best shield... If the community loves and understands, teachers would be safe and schools would be attack-free," she said.

For 12-year-old Sufyan Abu, the school arson attacks saddened him because kids are left with no place to study. "I don't want school burnings or teacher attacks. Without teachers and schools, how can we be good? I want to become a teacher so I can keep youths from becoming wayward," he said.

Asuwan Sama-ae, headman of a Yaha district village in Yala, said he was astonished by the arson attacks, which reminded him of the region's worsening and more complicated situation - contrary to previous belief that the unrest had been reduced. He suggested that Army, police and administrative officials - plus the public - should come together to protect schools.

Pattani resident Aisa Masae said it had been a long time since an arson attack on schools, so the latest drama shocked him.

"If we unite, no one can destroy our things. We must condemn the attackers and pray for their change of heart so they no longer destroy things like this. Schools are important for community development and for the education of our kids, so they can stay in society without being taken advantage of."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Arson-attack-on-six-schools-baffles-stuns-Pattani--30245424.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-14

There's always a conspiracy theory, and this one is as silly as most. Aren't schools rebuilt after earlier attacks more likely to be guarded? Which demographic thinks that renovation by arson is a good idea, parents of pre-schoolers perhaps?

BTW this is not how you win friends in the local population. TGF's family were disgusted with reds when they decided town halls were a good target in 2010, and even more so in regard to the fire truck.

There's always a conspiracy theory, and this one is as silly as most. Aren't schools rebuilt after earlier attacks more likely to be guarded? Which demographic thinks that renovation by arson is a good idea, parents of pre-schoolers perhaps?

BTW this is not how you win friends in the local population. TGF's family were disgusted with reds when they decided town halls were a good target in 2010, and even more so in regard to the fire truck.

Arson for financial gain is no conspiracy. It's why all insurers have their own investigation departments.

Well....I remember a New York terrorist attack some years ago that was done for "renovating" needs.....Terrorism it is a very good scenario for personal crimes...Some Thai people may be is learning westerners politics ways to use it....

This is as serious as it gets, others at TV have all similar views and an concentrated effort should be made straight away to investigate and get to the bottom of this matter, although I would exclude the RTP and ask help from either Singapore or Asia's finest HK., otherwise the inquiry could take decades. coffee1.gif

Baffled by what, how the defenders of a "religion of peace" could do something like that? Baffled at the fact that the residents over there don't have the guts to help in ratting out the separatists? Baffled at the incompetence of RTP and the army?

I like this idea of praying for a change of heart for the perpetrators. If this works, I will try the same for ISIS, and others of the same persuasion. I am hoping that this trial goes well, and can be incorporated into mainstream problem solving.