Why So Many Ladyboys In Thailand?

Bangkok Barry

It is genetic: I shall try to make it simple and concise.

Every foetus has an X chromosome from its Mother.

Every foetus has an X OR Y chromosome from its Father.

1 X and 1 Y becomes a male.

2X becomes a female.

If a pregnant woman receives hormones either by food/chemicals/environment then an anomoly occurs.

Unusual chromosome patterns develop:

XYY, XXXYY, XO, XXY

Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS) develops after birth causing 'gender dysphoria'.

Dysphoria means unease/unhappiness/discomfort.

So, time to look at the food/chemicals/environment !!!

It is unfortunate that many of them do't grow out of it and it gets reinforced in society.

Sadly this is an old fashioned belief - that someone with a different sexuality than the rest of us (or the majority view if you prefer) can somehow "grow out of it". It's genetic, not a mis-learned lesson...

Regarding the idea that it comes from some sort of gender role in a family, I really can't imagine it being the cause - although not from a Thai family, I am the elder of two brothers in my family - just the two of us guys and mum and dad - but neither my brother nor I decided to become lady boys or take on any sort of feminine role in our family - I think that is a completely flawed concept.

I used to know some lady boys (NOT in the biblical sense...!) and asked one of them when she had decided to become a woman - she responded quite seriously that she had ALWAYS been a woman - it was built in, not tacked on like a persona that you may wish to adopt for whatever reason.

Also, I don't really see lady boys as "gay" in the strict sense of the word - yes, they are men, but they have become women - at least in the sense that they feel they are women, even if not having had the operation - so to say they are gay is actually somewhat incorrect - they see themselves as wanting to be female and then are attracted to the "opposite sex" : male - it's a thin distinction, but I think from those I have spoken to, that it is important to see it that way. There are, of course, those who are gay men, who do not wish to be considered women, and who dress as men and still are attracted to men, so those are definitely under the "gay" heading.

Hi OP,

The reason you see them here so much could be the places you visit ore that transgender people in Thailand are much more tolerated but not accepted.

It is up to you to consider a person that like to be a women by dressing ore/and having the final operation to call a ladyboy.

It sort of shows your feelings to people that feel the opposite gender ore are not following the grey mass.

To me it does not really matter, if I meet someone that dress as a girl but is a genetic man I will still treat her as a lady, same for those that have the operation.

So please open your mind and do some research on transgendered people if you really want to know about this subject.

We are all humans, do not judge anyone on how they look ore feel.

Alex

Does anyone have any suggestions about why there are so many ladyboys in Thailand?

Sure, many countries have the occasional one here and there, but they are so much a part of life in Thailand, and on the whole are very much accepted by society. You'll often get no more than a sideways glance and snigger now and then when one is encountered by the locals, and often not even that.

I'm not talking about the hardcore bitches that stalk Sukhumvit and Beach Road - just the ones that hold normal jobs in offices and shops and restaurants.

I hold nothing against them - those I've met are often very nice people. It's just that there are so many of them. There are so many transvestite shows, too, and so many men dressed as women in Thai soap operas and comedy shows.

No doubt I'll have many brainless comments in reply :o , but I know many of you are able to offer some sensible answers.

Here are some of my friends:

Cindy…knew she was ladyboy ever since she was small.

her parents accept her, her mom dotes on her, her father gets annoyed

because she would rather go have fun with her friends than work the

lychee farm

Noonie…knew she was a ladyboy since she was little. She saw a doll in a store

and asked her mom to buy it but with no money they went home and her

mom made her a doll to play with, with a pillow.

Has no father.

Lily…was a male until moved to Bangkok after high school. Her parents are very

conservative and would not tolerate the idea. On her own, she blossomed

and got the full plastic surgery treatments. She is gorgeous and has won

numerous beauty contests. She returned home but her family shunned her.

She wanted to live at home but was a problem as the family thought her

Katoey friends would influence her younger brother Joey.

Yeen…knew she was a ladyboy since she was very young. Very supportive mother

no father.

Gee…wanted to be a ladyboy but didn’t have the looks, had a strong attraction to

males and is teetering on just being gay.

Tony…same as Gee…but stuck in limbo as not really gay, but not pretty enough to

pull off a successful katoey life.

Fern…adorable young ladyboy…but very large bones, is about to become one of those

giant ladyboys. Always knew she was ladyboy.

Emma…dresses like a woman, but says she is quite aware that she is a man as she is

reminded, “everytime she takes a shower”. Not really a ladyboy and not

really gay, something like a cross dresser.

So you can see, you can't generalize about ladyboys either.

They are all different.

A sad ladyboy tale

Even though Cindy was not my girlfriend, I like her a great deal as a person.

She kept bothering me to pay for some silicon breast implants for her.

I finally agreed and off she went to Chiang Rai and had them done.

Well Mister, now she comes back and is Miss Popularity. The local boys want very

much to see and feel what she has.

So anyway, she is on top of the world, strutting around like she is the Queen.

Then she hooks up with a local guy who happened to be having a relationship

with a girl. As you can imagine, the girl doesn’t like this idea too much and

orders an end to it.

Apparently it didn’t end. Cindy and the boy were spotted at a local disco, so she

lied in wait until they came out.

She pulled a straight edge razor on Cindy and attacked the breast implants. The

breasts were large, D cup, and the implants were just below the skin which made them

an easy target.

Slit, slit, next thing you know, Cindy has one leaking silicon breast but has taken

her beer bottle and broken it and jambed it into the girls guts.

The razor keeps coming and slashing the air and Cindy grabs it in vain, as the girl

pulled it away and slicing open Cindys’ hand.

Blood everywhere, the girls go to the ground, with Cindy receiving one last slash

across her face, opening her from ear to ear and leaving a permanent scar about

10 inches long along her chin line.

So, Cindy went from a ladyboy on top of the world to a one breasted scarred katoey.

None-the-less I like Cindy and often have her around when I go out. She is the best

bodyguard in the world as everyone is afraid of her now as she has nothing to loose.

A sad but true tale.

JRingo is a troll.

:D:D:o

So what exactly makes me a troll?

Because I post about some interesting people I know?

This is Thailand, you can't make this stuff up.

I have had some interesting experiences here.

Don't read my posts if you don't like them or at least offer some interesting thoughts yourself

instead of just snide remarks...but at least you are acting in character with your avatar.

You are boring Chuchok. :D

I have a lot of ladyboy friends.

This is exactly why I raised this topic. There is probably nowhere else someone could make that kind of statement.

Also, I don't really see lady boys as "gay" in the strict sense of the word - yes, they are men, but they have become women - at least in the sense that they feel they are women, even if not having had the operation - so to say they are gay is actually somewhat incorrect

This is why I didn't post in the Gay Forum.

Thanks for so many considered opinions. It's just something that has intrigued me, and there have been some interesting responses. Thai tolerance and the ease that boys can look like girls (instead of simply men in drag) sounds sensible. And maybe the cromosome suggestion could also explain why it happens so much in Thailand.

A sad but true tale.

JRingo is a troll.

:D:D:o

This is from the forum rules:

"Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or any attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants. The word, or its derivative, "trolling", is used to describe such messages or the act of posting them."

Looks to me like you are the guilty one here Chuchok.

Why don't you stay put in your own topic, what was it ...wipe or spray?

A sad ladyboy tale

yo, jringa, what kind of sh*t you're on ? Surely it aint booze, mushrooms maybe?

btw, I love the end of the story

"went from a ladyboy on top of the world to a one breasted scarred katoey"

, pls continue , may I advice topics: One Ball Banger, A big Nostril Hustler, Long Fluffy **** B*tch and so on.

spooky

P.S. no troll

ok. So some people think that if you are a man and find one or more ladyboys attractive, then you must be gay!

Are these the same kind of men that think watching girl-on-girl sex is a most manly thing and what every straight guy dreams about?

It is genetic: I shall try to make it simple and concise.

Every foetus has an X chromosome from its Mother.

Every foetus has an X OR Y chromosome from its Father.

1 X and 1 Y becomes a male.

2X becomes a female.

If a pregnant woman receives hormones either by food/chemicals/environment then an anomoly occurs.

Unusual chromosome patterns develop:

XYY, XXXYY, XO, XXY

Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS) develops after birth causing 'gender dysphoria'.

Dysphoria means unease/unhappiness/discomfort.

So, time to look at the food/chemicals/environment !!!

GF insists that its the amount of hormones in chicken here.

She said that there had been a study in th US that backed this up. Sorry no reference.

Guess she was correct :o

I have a lot of ladyboy friends.

This is exactly why I raised this topic. There is probably nowhere else someone could make that kind of statement.

Also, I don't really see lady boys as "gay" in the strict sense of the word - yes, they are men, but they have become women - at least in the sense that they feel they are women, even if not having had the operation - so to say they are gay is actually somewhat incorrect

This is why I didn't post in the Gay Forum.

Thanks for so many considered opinions. It's just something that has intrigued me, and there have been some interesting responses. Thai tolerance and the ease that boys can look like girls (instead of simply men in drag) sounds sensible. And maybe the cromosome suggestion could also explain why it happens so much in Thailand.

Because they can be ladyboys without (or with much less) fear of reprisal.

Thais are just people, not really different from any others in terms of basic sexuality.

And I suspect there are just as many ladyboys (or gays or crossdressers) in any other country.

The difference is that in Thailand, for the various cultural and religious reasons posted on this thread, they have the good fortune to be able to be "out in the open" about it. And not have to hide or repress their true selves. Which I see as definitely a positive thing...

I have wondered the same myself. The ladyboys I see here are not in caberets, but are regular students in high school and college, etc. I think they may find it gives them some added appeal for "nailing" the Thai ladys. A few of them I know (Thai ladies) seem to find the ladyboys appealing. I think the ladies also rationalse that, if they have sex with a ladyboy, they are not having sex with a man, ie " I have no boyfriends" ladyboys don't count as boyfriends. Quite assinine reasoning. I think there is also a lot of hidden lesbianism here. The ladies wouldn't admit it if they were slapped in the face with the facts. To me, it is just another chapter in the amount of untruthfullness in social interactions here.

utter and complete nonsense!

So what partof my comments do you think are nonsense. Who are you to judge what is nonsense, since you don't know the same people I know or have the same experiences.

Does anyone have any suggestions about why there are so many ladyboys in Thailand?

Sure, many countries have the occasional one here and there, but they are so much a part of life in Thailand, and on the whole are very much accepted by society. You'll often get no more than a sideways glance and snigger now and then when one is encountered by the locals, and often not even that.

I'm not talking about the hardcore bitches that stalk Sukhumvit and Beach Road - just the ones that hold normal jobs in offices and shops and restaurants.

I hold nothing against them - those I've met are often very nice people. It's just that there are so many of them. There are so many transvestite shows, too, and so many men dressed as women in Thai soap operas and comedy shows.

No doubt I'll have many brainless comments in reply :o , but I know many of you are able to offer some sensible answers.

GF insists that its the amount of hormones in chicken here.

She said that there had been a study in th US that backed this up. Sorry no reference.

I have read that there are higher levels of estergen in rice than other staples