Pattaya to Kanchanaburi and Back in the Next Few Weeks

Thailaw

I intruded in an other thread (sorry to Macknife for that) with a suggestion for a ride from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi and back around Nov. 1st, with a over night stop in Kanchanaburi city. One forum member has replied with interest. Rather than intrude in that thread further, I thought it would be better to start a new thread to discuss this ride and to see if there is sufficient interest in doing it.

The ride would be from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi and back with at least 1, maybe 2, overnights, one in Kan city. The trip would be focused on seeing the scenery and enjoying the ride, and not speed, so cruising b/t 80 and 100 kph. Would plan to spend some time running around Kanchanaburi and maybe taking in Erawan Falls for a few hours. The only rules that would apply are that you would need to be able to keep up with and enjoy riding at an 80 to 100 kph cruising speed (not feel pushed or held back a that speed), no alcohol during the riding hours, and rear lights (including brake/directional lights) confirmed to be working before joining the ride; use of directionals required. No one will be hounded or pressured about speed. If someone cannot keep up with the agreed average cruising speed (assume 90 kph), you will just fall away and can meet us at the next stop (assuming that you can find it/us).

Once the route is agreed, people can join the ride any where along the route and depart as they desire. If a intermediate meeting place and time is agreed, we would wait until the agreed time, call if a number has been given, but then travel on. If the ride is 1 night, starting on the 1st of Nov. is good, but is flexible (at least for me). If 2 nights, the 31st is good. I would propose 1 night, unless several interested persons want to make it 2 nights. Dates can be adjusted to suit, but not beyond 15th Nov. We would probably leave Pattaya around 8:30 from an agreed location. We could head north to Khao Yai and then over to Kan if people want, but that might require 2 nights away. Or, we could go south of BKK, or these could be combined, out and back. Through Bangkok city is not an option.

If anyone is interested in joining, you can respond or PM me, and we will go from there. The rider showing interest has a Forza. I think that around 6 - 8 full circuit riders would be an ideal group.

Thanks,

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sadly no, I am overseas working and even if I was home, my PCX 150 would struggle keeping that speed.

Maybe next year and I will hopefully have a bigger bike.

I am surprised that this isn't done more often, there must be lots of expats here with time for it and a bike.

Well done OPthumbsup.gif

No needto go south of Bangkok I just drove from Kan. to Bangkok on the 4 highway and crossed the Taksin Bridge at Sathon Rd. and lots of bikes using the bridge to cross the river. A more direct way to cross the river and get on the 4 highway into Kan.

Sadly no, I am overseas working and even if I was home, my PCX 150 would struggle keeping that speed.

Maybe next year and I will hopefully have a bigger bike.

I am surprised that this isn't done more often, there must be lots of expats here with time for it and a bike.

Well done OPthumbsup.gif

Understand, thanks. I think that a PCX could maintain the 90 kph speed, but it is pretty light and the ride would be, I think, tiring at least. Hopefully, you'll be available next time. Keep in mind that you can probably rent a 400cc Shadow or something bigger for not much money, so you are not really constrained by the bike that you have. Insurance may be an issue on a rented bike.

I have 2 "yes" and 1 "maybe", so we're moving....

Edited by Thailaw

No needto go south of Bangkok I just drove from Kan. to Bangkok on the 4 highway and crossed the Taksin Bridge at Sathon Rd. and lots of bikes using the bridge to cross the river. A more direct way to cross the river and get on the 4 highway into Kan.

Moe, thanks. I did the same thing about 3 weeks ago, and agree that it is not too bad. But I did it late at night (about 11:00 pm) with much less traffic on the road. I think that a south and west of BKK is doable, and is better and less risk of problems due to heavy and fast moving traffic. I will start looking at routes in the next day or 2, and perhaps you would be kind enough to comment based on your experience. Thanks.

• Like 1

First of all, thank you for your effort to organize this ride.

I can join the ride if it is one night away due to my work. I am very ok with leaving on saturday nov 1st and coming back on sunday evenning. My wife probably comes with me.

So, count me in. I have Honda Forza. I live in Bang Phli by Bangna Trad Rd. I can join the group somewhere at a meeting point.

Edited by Ozgur

First of all, thank you for your effort to organize this ride.

I can join the ride if it is one night away due to my work. I am very ok with leaving on saturday nov 1st and coming back on sunday evenning. My wife probably comes with me.

So, count me in. I have Honda Forza. I live in Bang Phli by Bangna Trad Rd. I can join the group somewhere at a meeting point.

Good. Let's say 1 night away, for sure. Are you ok for the 1st or the 8th if someone else has a preference for the 8th?

Moe, thanks. I did the same thing about 3 weeks ago, and agree that it is not too bad. But I did it late at night (about 11:00 pm) with much less traffic on the road. I think that a south and west of BKK is doable, and is better and less risk of problems due to heavy and fast moving traffic. I will start looking at routes in the next day or 2, and perhaps you would be kind enough to comment based on your experience. Thanks.

If you want to make the trip for a relaxed ride and scenery, you should stay far away from Bangkok.

Did the trip myself many years ago, and we went through Khao Yai, but then you probably have to overnight somewhere half way.

If you want to make the trip for a relaxed ride and scenery, you should stay far away from Bangkok.

Did the trip myself many years ago, and we went through Khao Yai, but then you probably have to overnight somewhere half way.

I agree completely. I would love to do the route you describe. But it would, I think, require two nights away if we want to spend one night in Kan. So, maybe next time. I think that this trip is now set to be 2 days, 1 night. And I am pretty sure that we can/will find a good route around Bangkok and avoid the worst of the traffic. Thanks for the thought.

What kind of Km's thinking of driving each day?

It looks like there are 2 basic routes -- Route 323 (Rt. 4) or Route 346. Google says 3:10 to 3:33 and 210 to 233 km. But most people that have done it say 5 hours and about 300 km. When the route is set/agreed we can fine tune the time/distance better. But this is probably is a good rough estimate. It looks like Rt 9 / AH2 can be used to avoid BKK. I've done Rt. 4 many times, and 346 might be a nice alternative. Anyone that has traveled both have a recommendation? The distance for either route seems pretty easy for a day's ride. If people want to do Erawan, that adds 35 km, so it would make the return trip (assuming a start from Erawan on Sunday at 12:00), about 340 km and 6 hours, and home by about 6:00.

I am ok for both 1st or 8th. Right now I have no plan on those weekends.

Ok, good. let's say the 1st, unless Gweiloman (or someone else) says that they would like to join the ride if it is on the 8th. Let's try to fix the date (as between these two) by Saturday night.

Ok, good. let's say the 1st, unless Gweiloman (or someone else) says that they would like to join the ride if it is on the 8th. Let's try to fix the date (as between these two) by Saturday night.

I could do the 8th but if you guys prefer the 1st, that's no worries (we can always do another ride on the 8th). I'm fine with either one overnight in Kan (or 2 is the party scene proves interesting and worth the effort, 55)

I could do the 8th but if you guys prefer the 1st, that's no worries (we can always do another ride on the 8th). I'm fine with either one overnight in Kan (or 2 is the party scene proves interesting and worth the effort, 55)

Back-to-back trips is probably unlikely for most riders. And I have no problem with either weekend, and no one else has expressed a strong preference for one weekend over the other. So, if you want to join us (and are a reasonably definite rider) I am happy to set the dates for the trip to Kan as 8th and 9th of Nov. If you confirm, it is done. Then, we will start working on the details. Thanks,

I agree with you about the 2 nights, but it is not possible for some riders to do 2 nights. But if it turns out to be that good, no problem if you want to stay longer and come back separately. Cheers,

OP, respect your effort on the group ride.

But, i believe, you have to setup the route first and outline things at the beginning. You can easily do the route at gmaps and post it here first.

Such as,

- The route (outlined with gmaps clearly with stopping, resting points marked)

- How many hours?

- How many days?

- Which days?

- How many kms?

- Where to stay?

- Where to go?

- Expected number of riders and their bikes?

Then you can receive more proper answers from people.

Not to criticize anything, just my humble recommendations.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I received this as a suggested route in response to an earlier request:

Pattaya-Chaochengsao-Minburi-Pak Kret-Bang Bua Thong-Kanchanaburi. There`s a fair bit of traffic between Minburi and Pak Kret at certain times but it`s no problem on a bike, and once you`ve crossed the river it thins out. You could even do a small detour, park your bike up and jump on the ferry (very cheap) for the 2 minute crossing to Koh Kret and have lunch there. The islanders are Mon.

I am posting it here for easy reference and so potential riders can consider it as an option. The detour to Koh Kret sound like fun.

But, i believe, you have to setup the route first and outline things at the beginning. You can easily do the route at gmaps and post it here first.

Such as,

- How many hours?

- How many days?

- Which days?

- How many kms?

- Where to stay?

- Where to go?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. My effort/intent has been to be as flexible as possible so as to allow/encourage as many interested riders to participate, but I agree that too much flexibility will perhaps confuse or discourage people due to the lack of set information. But I organize rides like I herd cats. Hopefully, there are enough free spirits out there to join me.

The trip is now "set" for the 1st or the 8th, and if Gweiloman confirms that he is in, it is the 8th. Keeping that much flexibility may mean that 1 more rider comes with us, which I see as a plus. The ride will start in Pattaya and go to Kanchanaburi, with a 1 night stop in Kanchanaburi. The trip will be about 300 km each day and last about 5 hours, with stops are required/desired. When the group is set, at least preliminarily, the details will be discussed and agreed. If someone feels strongly about any of the points you raise, I expect that their voice may carry the day. The whole point is to have a fun and relaxing ride with a group of good people that has Kanchanaburi as its destination. I believe that I now have 4 (including me) interested riders and 1 "maybe". As I said, 6 to 8 would, I think, be idea.

The route is probably the key point, and is critical to me. I need to do some more research before I propose a route. I have noted 2 possible routes for the BKK to Kan part. Both are ok, but I a hoping that someone can point out which is better for a bike ride. Absent a recommendation, I will suggest Rt 4, which I know. There are a few choices for the Pattaya to BKK part, and I am looking at that now. More will come. As for a place to stay, we'll identify one, but some may prefer to stay at another place, which is of course their choice.

I hope that this is enough to get a sign of interest from those interested and available for the ride -- I think that we have enough "yes" riders to make it a "GO".

I'll be riding one of the bikes pictured below. But I need my daughter's permission to ride the pink one.....

I can confirm that I will be available for the ride 08-09 Nov, if the decision is to do it then.

Thailaw, it would be good if you can put up the proposed route on google map. I live in downtown Bkk so I would probably meet the group along the route as you guys go past Bkk.

Such as,

- How many hours?

- How many days?

- Which days?

- How many kms?

- Where to stay?

- Where to go?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. My effort/intent has been to be as flexible as possible so as to allow/encourage as many interested riders to participate, but I agree that too much flexibility will perhaps confuse or discourage people due to the lack of set information. But I organize rides like I herd cats. Hopefully, there are enough free spirits out there to join me.

The trip is now "set" for the 1st or the 8th, and if Gweiloman confirms that he is in, it is the 8th. Keeping that much flexibility may mean that 1 more rider comes with us, which I see as a plus. The ride will start in Pattaya and go to Kanchanaburi, with a 1 night stop in Kanchanaburi. The trip will be about 300 km each day and last about 5 hours, with stops are required/desired. When the group is set, at least preliminarily, the details will be discussed and agreed. If someone feels strongly about any of the points you raise, I expect that their voice may carry the day. The whole point is to have a fun and relaxing ride with a group of good people that has Kanchanaburi as its destination. I believe that I now have 4 (including me) interested riders and 1 "maybe". As I said, 6 to 8 would, I think, be idea.

The route is probably the key point, and is critical to me. I need to do some more research before I propose a route. I have noted 2 possible routes for the BKK to Kan part. Both are ok, but I a hoping that someone can point out which is better for a bike ride. Absent a recommendation, I will suggest Rt 4, which I know. There are a few choices for the Pattaya to BKK part, and I am looking at that now. More will come. As for a place to stay, we'll identify one, but some may prefer to stay at another place, which is of course their choice.

I hope that this is enough to get a sign of interest from those interested and available for the ride -- I think that we have enough "yes" riders to make it a "GO".

I'll be riding one of the bikes pictured below. But I need my daughter's permission to ride the pink one.....

I can confirm that I will be available for the ride 08-09 Nov, if the decision is to do it then.

Thailaw, it would be good if you can put up the proposed route on google map. I live in downtown Bkk so I would probably meet the group along the route as you guys go past Bkk.

Ozgur/Gweiloman, thanks. The ride is now set to depart on the 8th and return on the 9th.

I will post a proposed route within a day or 2. Please give me some time to check a few things and to confirm that all roads on the proposed route allow bikes -- it is not always easy to tell. When I have a route that I am reasonably comfortable with, I will post it. Hopefully, it won't take too long. Thanks.

from the directions you gave, i can confirm this route has no tolls and no problem for bikes.

just to give an idea. you can modify it too easily.

That's great and very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Do you know if the South Outer Ring Road (Rt 9) is open to bikes? That would be the other option around BKK if it is available.

Thanks, again.