Improving Road Tragedies

hocuspocus

I will leave Greece out of this post, but my idea for making the roads here safer for everyone is to ban all Thais from driving without actually getting lessons and passing a UK style driving test from any Farang who has been driving in either North America or the EU for at least 20 years. At least it would be a good start!

• Like 1

Kwasaki:

If you are defending Thai drivers, you need professional help as much as the OP with 2 names.

They do not need defending, all I'm saying is as a road user there are many good Thai drivers.

What I object to is westerners coming here and judging and wanting to change the way things are.

I will leave Greece out of this post, but my idea for making the roads here safer for everyone is to ban all Thais from driving without actually getting lessons and passing a UK style driving test from any Farang who has been driving in either North America or the EU for at least 20 years. At least it would be a good start!

Pass a UK test and taught by 20 year experienced driver who have driven on the right-hand side of the road who never passed a UK test, oh yeah that will do it. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Want to make roads in Thailand safe? Simple. Remove ALL Thai drivers.

Typical, so you are the super duper driver from the western countries that is the Judge of driving here in Thailand.

You are so so wrong wrong with a comment like that, hope you was just having a dig at Thais in fun because they will certainly laugh a lot about someone like you. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

I don't know, or care, where you're from, but apparently they don't teach recognition of humor. Or did you miss class that day on that subject?

cheesy.gif

Typical, so you are the super duper driver from the western countries that is the Judge of driving here in Thailand.

You are so so wrong wrong with a comment like that, hope you was just having a dig at Thais in fun because they will certainly laugh a lot about someone like you. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

I don't know, or care, where you're from, but apparently they don't teach recognition of humor. Or did you miss class that day on that subject?

cheesy.gif

The problem is that bad drivers are not removed from the roads or subjected to a heavy fine. It only takes one bad example of driving (and it may well be a Farang behind that tinted windscreen) to make you angry about Thai driving in general.

• Like 2

cheesy.gif

Lousy humour and lousy post remark IMO. bah.gif

• Like 1

Would an implant improve the road tragedy situation. laugh.png

No, but it might improve your outlook. That's a forced smile if ever I saw one!

Thailand has laws like most countries. They're just not enforced sufficiently. That's what needs to change, but a lot of people will be unhappy about it, including foreigners. You can't just pick and choose which rules you like.

Would an implant improve the road tragedy situation. laugh.png

No, but it might improve your outlook. That's a forced smile if ever I saw one!

Thailand has laws like most countries. They're just not enforced sufficiently. That's what needs to change, but a lot of people will be unhappy about it, including foreigners. You can't just pick and choose which rules you like.

Gawd where are these people coming from ( General Topics ) Whose picking ? Blind comment again, that's just it, it's your outlook and others ear that should improve outlook, your not in a western country, get over it.

The Thai people will change things as and when they want to and not when

(deleted, deleted, deleted, deleted, deleted, deleted, deleted) silly farangie's complain. laugh.png another forced smile.laugh.png

• Like 1

Sorry for posting accidently the first part of my post (new computer pressed the wrong button) but here is the continuation of my post.

Firstly: Change the side of the road we drive in Thailand to the right hand side of the road as I have observed while riding by bicycle through the twists and turns through the rice fields nearly all oncoming traffic is on the wrong side of the road but probably they think it is the right side to be on.

Secondly: I have noticed that most drivers in Thailand like to go through red lights and they are very slow and reluctant to go through lights when they turn to green. So my proposal is to change all red lights to green and green lights to red, you can work out the rest your selves without me elaborating.

Thirdly: Make it entirely legal for motor cycles and cars to pull out from side roads without looking and if you hit them you are entirely to blame.

Fourthly: Let children start driving motor cycles at two years old and by the time they reach the average age of motorcyclist's of about 13-14 years old they may be reasonable drivers.

Fifthly: Make it easier for Falangs to get work permits so they can start up driving schools as in my three years here I have not seen one driving school car.

I am sure there are others who have got ways to improve things on the road so please go ahead.

I am sure my plans would improve things as Thailand's road statistics are about the worst in the world, so things can only get better with my plans.

Just be patient. ASEAN is coming to Bangkok, and Singapore is spearheading the event.clap2.gif

Tragically, you are absolutely correctcoffee1.gif

Pass a UK test and taught by 20 year experienced driver who have driven on the right-hand side of the road who never passed a UK test, oh yeah that will do it. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Hay... I was just saying that they should pass a "UK style" driving test. But you are right, a North American driver's test would also be good (though it only takes about 15 minutes for the road test). I was figuring that a UK style one would 'wash the bad habits out of the Thai hair'.

I got my licence in NYC and failed my UK test twice. I had been driving for 15 years when that happened. Finally gave up, as actually I found it a bit pedantic.

Compared to Thai drivers... we from Western countries are far better drivers due to the simple fact that we have been taught to be and had to pass stringent testing procedures. Both of which do not and have not existed here in LOS. So though we may not be "super duper" drivers based upon a comparison with other Western drivers we are certainly better (under those same constructs) than Thai drivers.

Sorry, but if you think that we are not and even perhaps on par with those Thai's on the roads, perhaps you could explain the number of deaths on the roads here verses anywhere in the West (keeping in mind the population vs traffic fatality numbers).

I once posted on this subject and was lauded for doing so. So here goes again:

Thais ride a bicycle like they are walking.

Thais ride a scooter as if they are riding a bicycle.

Thais drive a car like they are riding a scooter.

Thais drive a truck (pickup or not) like they are driving a car.

How they pilot a boat... given today's ramming of a fishing boat by a speed boat near Koh Tao... Thais pilot boats like they are driving a Mack truck or a Formula 1 racer.

I am NOT making any disparaging remarks here about the Thai people. But I am saying that they have no real idea of Rules of the Road or what seems to me as common sense when driving. Along with the attitude shown for that solid yellow line down the middle of the road as being just simple a "suggestion"! Then there is the question of the insurance issues here for drivers and the total lack of police and the ad hoc manner in which certainly vehicle accidents seem to be rectified on a daily basis.

But such is the nature of things here, and we have to adapt, improvise, and over come as best we can as Western drivers. So double your distances, keep your head on a swivel, and be ready for anything.

Edited by iamariva1957
  • Like 1