Bangkok: BMTA agrees to new bus fleet accessible to disabled commuters

webfact

BMTA agrees to new bus fleet accessible to disabled commuters
By Coconuts Bangkok

busramp.jpg
Photo: Joeyfjj

ABOVE: Wheelchair ramp deployed on a bus operated by Singapore's SMRT system.

BANGKOK: -- In a victory for disabled rights advocates and passengers, the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority has agreed to buy thousands of new buses with low-floors.

After another delay in the long-planned fleet purchase, the BMTA on Tuesday announced that it had changed the specifications for the nearly 3,200 NGV buses it will buy.

The decision came after months of pressure from the public. In February hundreds of disabled commuters protested against the purchase of buses they said would be inaccessible to many, but the agency said then it was too late to change the requisition.

The new buses will need some accomodation of their own. Improvements must be made to roads and bridges, according to Naret Boonpeam of the BMTA, who said his agency was coordinating with transport and the Interior Ministry.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/16/bmta-agrees-new-bus-fleet-accessible-disabled-commuters

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-16

Any chance of fixing their pavements also?

Not only for disabled people but also for the rest of us.

And please tell the drivers to retract these ramps before they go......don't trust Thai bus drivers.

OK, OK, I know......the bus can't go with the ramp down............only joking..............

But still don't trust those bus drivers.

Edited by Costas2008

This is a very good start. If they keep this up in 10 years Bangkok will be reasonably accessible. It takes time but they can do it if all repairs and new structures are made ok.

(and they get the food carts off the pavements and onto the road.

The ramp is angled the wrong way. Should have upper end forward facing so that the bikes under-taking when the bus stops can get some air... on second thoughts, the upper end should be rear facing...

I'm sure it is a good observation, but I didn't quite get your comment. Could you rephrase it in English?

The ramp is angled the wrong way. Should have upper end forward facing so that the bikes under-taking when the bus stops can get some air... on second thoughts, the upper end should be rear facing...

I'm sure it is a good observation, but I didn't quite get your comment. Could you rephrase it in English?

He is meaning he in an inconsiderate motorbike rider who wants the ramp to be like the ones evil kanival used when he overtakes the bus on the left and does his best to try to hit the poor wheelchair user on the ramp.

An absolute waste of money and effort. It will never work.

I am sorry to say that but it is true. The disabled really need help and the whole idea is good but.........

This is Thailand. The drivers will never stop and wait for the disabled. It will take far too long for them to get on and off the bus. Only a few weeks ago, I saw a blind man trying to get on the bus. He fumbled his way down the outside of the bus but just a he reached the doors the driver drove off.

The buses stop in the third (outside ) lane. Do they expect wheelchairs to roll across the road and and then fight to get onto the high pavement??

The boats on Klong San saeb are exactly the same. It is all about speed. Last week I wanted to get off the boat and there were five people in my row getting off at the same time. Just as i was about to get off the boat veered away from the pier and I was still stuck on the boat. The driver had to back up and moor once again to let me off. It took him maybe a full extra minute to do that.

If you are "movement impaired" the new bus may be nice, but the sidewalks are not. No curb breaks, none on purpose that is, wheel chair impossible, cane or walker not advised. Stay home, sadly, only choice.

Same thing applied in Perth when they introduced accessible busses,. Now the majority of the bus stops are accessible. I would like to check in again in 10 years and see...

This is a great improvement but without handicap usable street and pedestrian overcrossings, unfettered access to enter a bus, accessible bus stops, high curbs, blocked/broken/vendor occupied sidewalks, anyone who is movement-limited will never be able to get to the bus.