A good Story about phuket- tsunami 2004

dannyh2000uk

I hear you. I was also on lanta, though a few days later drove to phuket on a honda dream to help look for a non surviving friend.

The community spirit, friendlyness and just all round togetherness was unbelievable.

I helped clean up and rebuild so many places, got all sorts offered to me as a result but that was not the reason I helped or the reason it was offered.

Want to see true human nature, take away everything. Want to see true kindness (<deleted> off naysayers), survive a tsunami in Thailand. Post tsunami was and always will be one of the greatest times of my life.

Yes nice story , there are a lot of good honest Thai folk. Unfortunately the other side of the story is the monsters who stole a fair lump of the donated relief money and the developers who used the aftermath of the tragedy to steal land from people who had lived on it for decades.

Edited by joecoolfrog

Nice story! It seems to happen after disasters. This Saturday is our 25th anniversary of the 7.1 earthquake here in Santa Cruz, California, where I've lived since 1974. The community really came together and helped each other out in that crisis. I was in Cambodia the day of the tsunami and I had a booked flight for Phuket the day after the tsunami. Obviously I couldn't go there. I finally arrived in Phuket in May 2005 and still have a house there. Things have really changed though over those years….. More so in Phuket than in Santa Cruz in many ways in a much shorter time and not for the better. I'm still waiting to see what happens this "high season."

I love to read good story's about Thai People, there are so many great and nice people in Thailand. And it's so sad that a bunch of rotten apples can make the majority of them look like crooks.......

Of course, in my 20 plus years in Thailand I had also bad and good experiences.... but the good prevail on the bad ones.....I just learned some lessons from both. And made some long lasting great friendships....