Phuket: English language 'complaint' centre could address immigration corruption

webfact

PHUKET: English language 'complaint' centre could address immigration corruption
Saran Mitrarat

1413446041_1-org.jpg
Governor Nisit Jansomwong.

PHUKET: -- Governor Nisit Jansomwong announced plans to open an English language section of the Damrongtham, government complaint centre, to address allegations of immigration 'service fee' corruption.

The governor’s announcement follows a number of complaints about “immigration service fee” allegedly collected by Patong Immigration officers, for between B200-B500 on top of the B1,900 fee for extending a permit to stay.

According to the complaints – made by some foreigners who wish to remain anonymous – immigration officers refused to issue receipts for said fees.

Reporters on October 13 passed on the complaints to Gov Nisit, who firmly replied “I will assign relevant officers to investigate this allegation. The government’s working process must be clean, clearl and be able to scrutinize.”

“The Damrongtham Centre is a place where everyone can make a complaint. On this point, I will look to establishing an English section to receive complaints from foreigners.”

Phuket Governor added that he is trying to secure a budget to expand CCTV coverage in Phuket to cover all public and government office areas.

“CCTV will provide good evidence when such situations happen. Most criminals captured by CCTV can be arrested,” Gov Nisit said.

“Lucky for Phuket, we have a hotel association to support these [initiatives to expand CCTV coverage]. I have assigned every municipality to allocate a budget for more CCTV. Safety is the first priority in Phuket,” he added.

“CCTV can serve as a warning for people that they are being watched all the time, which can lead to decrease in criminal [activity] and also for [improving] work flow of government officers,” he explained.

However, the governor could not specific an opening date of said English section at the local Damrongtham Centre.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/english-language-%E2%80%98complaint%E2%80%99-centre-could-address-immigration-corruption-in-phuket-49183.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-16

Dear farangs, please do not complain next time you will not be able to obtain your extension for stay.

We in the immigration, can make your lives a misery, if we want...............................

After all we not only here to serve you but also fight corruption, according to our new PM.

Always happy to see you next time, with a broad smile in our faces.

NOT, the immigration department.

• Like 2

For all tourist, if 200 baht is going to impact your beer comsumption, well 1f 7$ usd breaks the bank, stay home. Where are you from, paying sales taxes, service charge 10%, tips. Somethings need to fix here, but bitching when your on holiday for 200 baht, take it home.

• Like 2

For all tourist, if 200 baht is going to impact your beer comsumption, well 1f 7$ usd breaks the bank, stay home. Where are you from, paying sales taxes, service charge 10%, tips. Somethings need to fix here, but bitching when your on holiday for 200 baht, take it home.

I don't think 'tourists' would worry about a couple of hundred baht 'tea money', not being wise to Thai practices. What do you think about 'tea money' being asked for Retirement Extensions. Are you condoning corruption? Please tell us.

I don't think 'tourists' would worry about a couple of hundred baht 'tea money', not being wise to Thai practices. What do you think about 'tea money' being asked for Retirement Extensions. Are you condoning corruption? Please tell us.

foot in mouth he wont be back...coffee1.gif

If you decline to pay extra when asked ,you can be called back several times to "clarify "a point,obviously costing time and money especially concerning. marriage extension,you know the system,so there.

Yes, I agree, you have a valid point. And I well know the system here. Trouble is that it's just so easy to pay and that only encourages the corruption. If we all made a stand then the officers would have to back down. Oh ... and I dream on .....

• Like 2

Are you serious? Are you real?

You really believe, having to pay a bribe for a service is the same

as voluntarily giving a tip for exceptionally good service?

Well, at least one defender for corruption on this forum.

The issue is not 200 baht or 2000 baht or 200,000 baht. The issue is the fee for service was paid already. This is corruption - the amount they demand does not matter.

If these immigration officers don't like their jobs or not paid enough then just quit and do something else. Or stand out front of the building with a begging cup for some extra coin.

Thai visa costs are not cheaper than visas to other countries. Yet other countries manage to pay their immigration staff high enough wages that they don't have to extort money from every foreigner. Can idiots like you understand that?

And who do you think you are to say who should be here or not. Any rational person would not pay anything extra than what the cost is. People do have a right to complain.

I would think that back home, we are able to negociate with the employer all of our fringe benefits...which we do get...

Here, the negociation is between the employee and the customer....

Why are people so upset at this difference of MO?....

If you decline to pay extra when asked ,you can be called back several times to "clarify "a point,obviously costing time and money especially concerning. marriage extension,you know the system,so there.

Yes, I agree, you have a valid point. And I well know the system here. Trouble is that it's just so easy to pay and that only encourages the corruption. If we all made a stand then the officers would have to back down. Oh ... and I dream on .....

Maybe a Mass Burning of Expats in some immigration office would do the trick?

So in order to catch a couple of criminals whose name and workplace is already known, you need a "complaint centre"??

I assume it is the same few officials at immigration that always takes the bribes, and that everyone knows exactly who that is. If they want to catch these officials, simply find a foreigner who is willing to cooperate, and send him in to get his visa. Let him go with his fake girlfriend, who is really a police officer (not from Phuket) and have them wear a wire/camera, once the evidence of the bribe payment is on tape, arrest the corrupt officer(s).

Of course, if the real goal is not to catch the corrupt officials, but just to pretend to be solving the problem (as usual), then the above will not work.

I know exactly which couple of criminals to catch.

The two on the extreme right of the front desk.

• Like 1

Considering that the Immigration Departments is all about dealing with foreigners and it would be very few Thais making any complaints, than I would have thought that creating an English language complaints section would have been the department`s first priority.

Would anyone really have the guts or dare to make any official complaints against their Immigration departments? Naming names and actually making reports trying to establish proof against them accusing of corruption or extortion? Somehow I doubt it, as I know I wouldn`t risk it.

• Like 1

The issue is not 200 baht or 2000 baht or 200,000 baht. The issue is the fee for service was paid already. This is corruption - the amount they demand does not matter.

If these immigration officers don't like their jobs or not paid enough then just quit and do something else. Or stand out front of the building with a begging cup for some extra coin.

Thai visa costs are not cheaper than visas to other countries. Yet other countries manage to pay their immigration staff high enough wages that they don't have to extort money from every foreigner. Can idiots like you understand that?

And who do you think you are to say who should be here or not. Any rational person would not pay anything extra than what the cost is. People do have a right to complain.

To those not of Thai nationality who wish to join the brave fight against corruption in this ancient and magnificent country I say, good luck, you will need it, and if perchance you succeed then be prepared for unintended consequences.

• Like 1

i aplaud this answerdclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif bravo

• Like 1