Thai Customs Ripped Me Off

Jeffrey346

I ordered 5 items from the US. 3 items have a 0 customs rate and 2 have a 10% rate. The 2 items are valued at $11. US or approx B300. The total shipment is valued at $267. US or B8700.

I received a call from the carrier stating the total due is B1800. They claim that Thai customs rules states if there are chargeable items and non chargeable items in the same box I am charged on all items at the highest rate.

The rate in my case is 10%.

In the past I have received chargeable and non chargeable items in the same box and never had to pay customs on the entire shipment.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Maybe its the agent that's ripping you off. That happens a lot with so-called "grey" agents in Bangkok.

Years ago I ordered really many books, mainly from USA but also other countries. Whenever I had a problem, it was normally the agent trying to get some extra money out of me, not the customs.

Edited by stufbangkok
  • Like 1

No that is complete correct

267 USD.+ say 40 USD shipping =307 USD

10131 THB (customs uses a bad exchange rate)

10%= 1.013 Baht

New total 11144

7% Vat= 780.08

Total to pay 1793

So your 1800 sound complete right.

I don't know what items we are talking about. Sometimes when I ordered books, the cost of the book was 10 US$, but the shipment cost was 30 US. Some books I ordered weighted 1.5 kilo (each), so same here, shipment charges was always much higher than the actual cost of book.

It is the international standard rule for quick clearance of small packages. It may be possible to get a customs agent and do all the paperwork and process it as a mixed consignment but it will cost you a lot more and you do not really have any right to do that, it would be done as a favor. With the amounts you are talking accept it it is your fault. Just think yourself lucky it did not have shoes at 60% in it.

This has nothing to do with the carrier. I have the customs document that shows 10% on the total shipment.

Import duties are always calculated on goods + transport insurance + transport. An additional handling fee is added to the total.

Edited by TheCruncher

It is the international standard rule for quick clearance of small packages. It may be possible to get a customs agent and do all the paperwork and process it as a mixed consignment but it will cost you a lot more and you do not really have any right to do that, it would be done as a favor. With the amounts you are talking accept it it is your fault. Just think yourself lucky it did not have shoes at 60% in it.

I totally understand what you're saying. There was a document attached from Amazon showing each item. My freight forwarder added the customs code for each item. I couldn't find anything in the customs rules that stated they will charge on the total value of the shipment.

This has nothing to do with the carrier. I have the customs document that shows 10% on the total shipment.

Import duties are always calculated on goods + transport insurance + transport. An additional handling fee is added to the total.

They didn't charge me for transportation or insurance.. Just the goods.

How do you know? Is on the receipt written that they value the goods 18000 Bht ?

Do the goods all together have a value of 18000 Baht

Edited by TheCruncher

I know for a certain fact that if you are from UK and your total in UK was US $267 you would be charged a lot more than sixty bucks. And yes, the total value of the package is charged including shipping.

Another one....

Like I said I have the customs doc. I know what was charged and what I was not charged.

How do you know? Is on the receipt written that they value the goods 18000 Bht ?

Do the goods all together have a value of 18000 Baht

The receipt shows $267 and the conversion to Bhat

What is the exact amount Customs charged you? You said you have the receipt? How much is the receipt written out for?

267 US$ = 8700 Baht. 10% of that is then 870 Baht for Customs Charge.

If the agent/freight forwarder says that you are due 1,800 Baht, then it would mean that he (the agent/freight forwarder) charges around 930 Baht extra?

It would help to understand your situation if you informed the amount on your Customs Receipt.

And also did your freight forwarder provide a bill or a receipt and for how much?

I totally understand what you're saying. There was a document attached from Amazon showing each item. My freight forwarder added the customs code for each item. I couldn't find anything in the customs rules that stated they will charge on the total value of the shipment.

No it is right: Express clearing for low value: Everything is charged with the highest tariff. So if you would have a pair of shoes in it, it would be all 60%.

If you think that is unfair...try European customs. (They came 1.5 years after an import and wanted more money because they found out that it is wrong in an internal revision)

Normally it is from the landed costs (product+shipping+insurance) unless it is CIF. Sender paid the shipping/shipping is included in the product price (free shipping). Old trick if product and shipping is invoiced separate you declare it as CIF (instead of FOB) and save some money.

But on small shipments no one has a close look. Even on bigger shipments often half the documents from the clearing agent are wrong and customs just don't care.

(I recall I imported a CNC lathe 1%, and of course everything possible goes under accessories instead of declaring the tools separate at 10 %. Customs looked at it and told he never saw something packed so beautiful so he won't open it. (It was complete "vacuum" packed.)