Sheep shearing?

Paul2011

we are thinking of getting the shears, but don't want to hurt the sheep? also, I am older and don't want to hurt my knees and back any more than I already have.. and the sheep are big enough to knock me down .. ain't as young as I was

...thanks for the feedback

• Like 1

I use to shear sheep a lot of years ago,I do not think my back could do it now.

I was thinking like PJ the shears are going to be a problem,they say you can buy anything in Thailand, but I would have thouhgt sheep shears would have been a long way down the list, and only a few sheep.

On TV there are a few sheep thread's,look there may be a member who could help you out, one member once had 300? sheep.

Again good luck.

KS.

I too have shorn sheep when i was young. Very hard on the back and legs . And it has been many years since i have been in a shearing shed but a google search for battery powered shears may turn up someting (if there are such a thing as battery powered sheep shears ) and a search of u-tube may give instructions . I have only seen hand shears used on very fine wool breeds and it needs a real expert to do that job , electric shears are much easier. When i was a kid we used a set up with the shears coming off a engine driven shaft. Too difficult to set up for just a few sheep.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the feedback.. there are battery powered shears.. I will not attempt myself .. at 74, a bit too much and I already have bad knees and back, so don't need to aggravate them

What breed of sheep do you have Paul?

Battery powered shears work ok if you only have a few to do.(get extra combs and cutters as sharpening them is an art)

I'm sure a young thai could chip away as you dont have to pink them as you would chuck the wool away anyway.

Just take the extra time around the valuble parts,legs,pizzle(if male)

Otherwise pretty sure you can give them a needle and wool will fall off but i dont no much about that.

Hi all the company is called bioclip in oz but if you won't to keep wool you need a net to it takes 7-10days to work ps think of all the socks you can make they may knitting is good therapy :rolleyes:

Rgds RUSSELL

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I too have shorn sheep when i was young. Very hard on the back and legs . And it has been many years since i have been in a shearing shed but a google search for battery powered shears may turn up someting (if there are such a thing as battery powered sheep shears ) and a search of u-tube may give instructions . I have only seen hand shears used on very fine wool breeds and it needs a real expert to do that job , electric shears are much easier. When i was a kid we used a set up with the shears coming off a engine driven shaft. Too difficult to set up for just a few sheep.

Hand shears are fine to use, just needs good sharpening stone and careful practise. But I was brought up on a fine wool merino sheep stud near Yass, NSW.

• 3 weeks later...