Tonne of dog meat seized in Sakhon Nakhon

Lite Beer

Tonne of dog meat seized in Sakhon Nakhon

BANGKOK: -- A joint Army-police force Friday raided a Sakhon Nakhon slaughterhouse, which sells dogs meat and organs without permission, and seized a tonne of dog meat.

House owner Sombun Thongkrub said he did not kill the dogs, but bought dog carcasses from sellers, up to 300 at a time. He butchered the carcasses and sold them to buyers, who would later resell them. He was charged with trading in meat without permission.

Sombun said officials told him that exporting dog meat was more difficult because of strict restrictions, so he had turned to local and domestic markets instead. Some 1.17 tonnes of dog meat and organs were seized along with 95 sheets of dog skin.

The seized items were buried at a garbage disposal site, while the abattoir was sanitised by veterinarians who took part in the raid.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Tonne-of-dog-meat-seized-in-Sakhon-Nakhon-30245679.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-17

• Like 1

Some peoples stolen pets in amongst that lot no doubt.

Depends on what you describe as a pet, some soi dog you lay claim to but leave on the street or the dog you look after and keep in the house or back garden, there is no need to to go robbing dogs out of peoples back gardens, to many easy picking running wild up every sio.

I think this guy was doing a public service.

Yes a service, we North American have a liking for pets, cat and dogs. Years ago I was in Inuvik NWT in Canada in the late 60's and was aware of the school teaching the Eskimos school children with the "Dick and Jane" books...and oh yes Spot the dog...the children have no idea of Spot being a household pet...it was a Husky that pulled the sled and was kept outside.

Conclusion that our belief of what a "Dog's duty" is belongs to the culture it was raised in. Here in Thailand I admire the owners of pets...seems they are well treated...some ride on scooters with their owners..the small ones while the bigger ones are more of watch dogs or guardians for smaller children. Now the sale of "Dog Meat" well that is in the culture of Asia... us being only visiting must just understand this...we take sides on both pros and cons of this abduction of dogs...Did you know in North American thousands of dogs that are caught without licenses to owners are destroyed. Enough said..."I am just the messenger...please don't shoot me"

• Like 1

"House owner Sombun Thongkrub said he did not kill the dogs, but bought dog carcasses from sellers..."

Let's put this in the perspective of a Buddhist culture...“One must not deliberately kill any living creature either by committing the act oneself, instructing others to kill, or approving of or participating in acts of killing...To completely abstain from the act of killing directly and indirectly...'

Just another example of the hypocrisy within this culture. The typical rationale being..."I receive 2000 baht for the dog meat I sell. I pay 200 baht merit at the wat. I come out with 1800 baht profit and no bad karma on my scorecard. What a smart Buddhist am I."

See how you like it in your next life as a soi dog hanging around a butcher shop just like yours.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

lets do the math...say one thai(skinny) dog weighs 20 lbs...hmmmmm thats alot of dogs....i still cant understand why thais wont eat pigeon....tom yum nok...

Edited by mok199

lets do the math...say one thai(skinny) dog weighs 20 lbs...hmmmmm thats alot of dogs....i still cant understand why thais wont eat pigeon....tom yum nok...

But that is twenty pounds on the hoof, skinny dog maybe 6 or 8 pounds after fillet. And they do eat pigeons, sparrows, parrots, swallows, bats and all else.

• Like 1

Some peoples stolen pets in amongst that lot no doubt.

Depends on what you describe as a pet, some soi dog you lay claim to but leave on the street or the dog you look after and keep in the house or back garden, there is no need to to go robbing dogs out of peoples back gardens, to many easy picking running wild up every sio.

I think this guy was doing a public service.

They run rampant in our village and of course breed constantly. No one "owns" them. lol But many feed them. Oh and some of them bite and all of them BARK incessantly.

• Like 2

"Some 1.17 tonnes of dog meat and organs were seized along with 95 sheets of dog skin."

Information please - I can work out what they use the meat for, but a bit confused about the skin and the organs...

I read not too long ago that the skin is used to make golf gloves. Not sure about the organs.

As I write this, I sit here with my pug sleeping on my lap.....pure sweetness.