Is hemp protein allowed in Thailand?

expatsupreme

Hemp seeds are for sale in Thailand, though still hard to find. Very nutritious. I regularly buy them near Sukhumvit and add them to my yoghurt along with cinnamon, chia, honey, olive oil, cacao powder and blueberries.

Edited by tubby johnson
  • Like 2

so I guess it is ok to bring it to Thailand

But why would you want to?

You are already aware that it may cause you a problem otherwise you wouldn't be asking. If you are detained and your name and whereabouts are made public that would contradict your earlier topics/posts about your family not knowing where you are. You wanted to avoid letting Immigration Police knowing where you are staying, even getting a girl to book a room for you so that you don't have to give the hotel reception (and thus Immigration) your passport.

A substantial difference between hemp grown for fiber, animal feed, bird seed, protein, etc and the marijuana type hemp grown for high levels of chemicals. Many countries permit the fiber hemp, very low chemical level, but same countries forbid the 'dope' kind.

Seeds probably cannot be identified as to which type of hemp so police will take it all.

The Customs Department and the Narcotics Suppression Bureau (NSB) seized 16.5 tonnes of hemp seeds valued at 6.6 million baht.

The seeds originated in China. (October 2013)

Please give the link to the source.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<p>
All

That list is incorrect. Hemp protein is allowed and sold openly in sweden.

I have to concurre that this list has not been updated.

It is mind boggling how many great (organic) products are/were and have been banned.

Yet the mega world food corporations idea of food and nutrition is allowed.

• Like 1

The Customs Department and the Narcotics Suppression Bureau (NSB) seized 16.5 tonnes of hemp seeds valued at 6.6 million baht.

Its from the Bangkok post, http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/377329/huge-hemp-seed-shipment-seized

Thanks. I was wondering if perhaps the importation of only certain types of hemp seeds is illegal in Thailand, but the linked page does not clarify this. From this other article on the web it appears that Thailand does not allow the importation of any type of hemp seeds at all.

• Like 1

This page on the website of the Hemp Industries Association mentions that Thailand is a producer of hemp, but says nothing about importation:

UKRAINE, EGYPT, KOREA, PORTUGAL and THAILAND also produce hemp.

An undated – and therefore possibly not up-to-date – page on the website of the International Hemp Association says that "Switzerland is the only country worldwide where THC limits for food have been adopted":

The "meat" of hemp seed itself does not contain any THC. It is primarily found in the flowers and perigonal bracts surrounding the seeds and, to a lesser extent, in the leaves. During seed processing, residuals of the flowers may enter the hemp food, particularly the oil.

Generally, the THC content of hemp food is so low that psychotropic or even pharmacological effects can be excluded with certainty, even if larger quantities of food are consumed. Biologically relevant concentrations of THC were found in hemp oil only in a few isolated cases. The oil in question was of Swiss origin. It had been pressed from the improperly cleaned seeds of high-THC varieties, which are legal to grow in Switzerland. Due to these occurrences, the Swiss government introduced, in 1996, legal limits for THC in oil and other foods made from hemp seeds.

So far, Switzerland is the only country worldwide where THC limits for food have been adopted. Two main reasons call for such action in other countries: The consumer must be able to expect no, or only insignificant, quantities of THC when consuming food based on hemp seeds. Not only should psychotropic effects be excluded with certainty, but also undesired short-term and long-term physiological effects.

Is hemp protein allowed in Thailand?

I bought it some here, can I bring it to Thailand or will it get me to trouble?

"Here" being where? Timbuktu or Thailand?

In what form was the "hemp protein" you bought? Powder or tablets or capsules or liquid?

Its from the Bangkok post, http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/377329/huge-hemp-seed-shipment-seized

Thanks. I was wondering if perhaps the importation of only certain types of hemp seeds is illegal in Thailand, but the linked page does not clarify this. From this other article on the web it appears that Thailand does not allow the importation of any type of hemp seeds at all.

I think that's a translation mistake. As mentioned above there is no thc in hemp seeds. Maybe the ones they seized were seeds for growing marijuana plants.

I think that's a translation mistake. As mentioned above there is no thc in hemp seeds. Maybe the ones they seized were seeds for growing marijuana plants.

A translation error cannot be excluded. 16.5 tons of marijuana seeds would grow a lot of marijuana plants. Quite often, though, no logic is needed in Thailand for forbidding something. Perhaps Pekd Trader Co. is an importer of raw materials for animal feeds and the hemp seeds were intended for inclusion in a brand of animal feed, but the importer declared them falsely as "jute plant seeds", which he would not have needed to do if the importation of hemp plant seeds were legal.

It's either about something other than hemp protein or the list is outdated. I'm in Vienna right now and I've bought it and eaten something with hemp protein in it for the past three days.

You got a point there. I just realised that each line in the list given by gerry123 is a link to a product on the website of iHerb. Clink on Austria and you get "EcoTools, Naturally Beautiful Lash System, Prohibited, Austria". Click on Sweden and you get "Natrol, Melatonin TR, Prohibited, Sweden". Search for "hemp protein" in the iHerb catalogue and you get a page full of herb protein products. Click on the first one, Nutiva, Organic Hemp Protein, and the product page shows "Prohibited, Countries > Prohibited, Japan"; that's all, no other countries listed, only Japan.

You are correct. You can not legally and officially import, export, buy or sell anything from the "Cannabis" plant (powder, seeds, oil). Sure the Thai laws are outdated, but still do not care about the different "Cannabis plants" and the different purpose of use. All Cannabis is drug class 5.

("...industrial and foodstuff products that are derived from hemp cultivars of the Cannabis plant...." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp )

It should be possible to legally import/export Hemp fabric and clothes, but not to grow any Cannabis plant.

If you are in the possession of hemp powder, seeds or oil for medical use you should NOT ask, show and explain the different uses to a police or custom officer in Thailand. They will not understand and they can not follow your arguments. In the worst case only a judge could help you based on medical and scientific certificates.

I think most hemp oil is essentially THC free. It's made from hemp which has less than 0,3% THC

Give me THC free Hemp Oil.

Indeed, yet it's still illegal and not available in the shops despite being possibly the most healthiest product in the world. (I'm a gym go-er not a smoker).