Lack of quality products and professional labor in Thailand

Sabaisabai1

The hilarious thing here is tgat people think they should get quality service from low wage workers just cos they are white. Idiots

The hilarious thing is that only mong like you think like that....thank God. Most people, white, brown or yellow think they should get quality service from people that are trained, experienced and are willing to work for a wage that reflects their finished product. At least in most countries you have a choice. Here in Thailand, its hard to find even anyone for any price. If Western tradespeople were allowed to openly compete here, plumbers, carpenters, electricians and so on would clean up. Who would hire a Thai when you could get a licensed, experienced tradesperson who would show up on time, do the job perfect, use quality materials and only charge 2500 per hour? Way better option than paying 1000 per day and a week later ending up with garbage.

Thankfully bwana is not running the joint. No problem with paying for quality, plenty of decent tradesmen around if you look. If you are a clown at home, you will likely be a bigger one here.

Not sure about that, the average Thai builder wouldn't know a 90 degree angle if it bumped into them in the street.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hilarious thing here is tgat people think they should get quality service from low wage workers just cos they are white. Idiots

The hilarious thing is that only mong like you think like that....thank God. Most people, white, brown or yellow think they should get quality service from people that are trained, experienced and are willing to work for a wage that reflects their finished product. At least in most countries you have a choice. Here in Thailand, its hard to find even anyone for any price. If Western tradespeople were allowed to openly compete here, plumbers, carpenters, electricians and so on would clean up. Who would hire a Thai when you could get a licensed, experienced tradesperson who would show up on time, do the job perfect, use quality materials and only charge 2500 per hour? Way better option than paying 1000 per day and a week later ending up with garbage.

Thankfully bwana is not running the joint. No problem with paying for quality, plenty of decent tradesmen around if you look. If you are a clown at home, you will likely be a bigger one here.

Not sure about that, the average Thai builder wouldn't know a 90 degree angle if it bumped into them in the street.

obviously you dont know where to look

So here's what I don't understand. 1000's of Thais willingly pay 3 million baht ++ for a quality imported car. So they show they are willing to pay more money for better quality. They also willingly pay 4000 baht ++ per night to stay in nice hotels. But when it comes time to do shopping for household items like tools, ladders, cleaning tools or whatever, where do they go? Or do they just buy the Chinese junk at BigC and keep replacing them every month when they break?

And who do they hire to work on their homes? The local dude who has no formal training in anything or a licensed electrician / plumber etc. who is really good at his job?

I never said I wasn't willing to pay more money for better quality but it doesn't have to be a lot more. A simple store like Costco would clean up in Thailand if they could sell items for the same prices as back home. Now the choice is 150 baht for something that will break or go home with nothing.

Hi Sabaisabai1.

I think you need to get out & about a bit more. Most average Thais are happy with what they buy. They accept the quality as normal & couldn't afford to pay extra even if they wanted to. Yes, there are some wealthy Thais that can & do pay for quality, however they are in the minority.

4000 baht a night for a hotel ! You must live in an exclusive neighborhood with very influential friends. My Thai family & friends wouldn't know what a 500 baht per night hotel looked like let alone a 4000 baht establishment. I'd go so far as to say most have never stayed in a hotel.

If you want & need quality goods & services take a little time to do some research, it's all available here in LOS. Have a think about supply & demand..... if there was a demand, maybe someone would supply.

This is my perspective from where I live, rural Isaan. Maybe it's different in your neighborhood.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 2

not to mention proper tools for the job.

not to mention proper tools for the job.

I use HomePro. I bought some 90 degree brackets to put up a shelf and a power drill no problem. I use Lazada and Lotus almost weekly. I don't have any problems finding people to do the proper job. My wife builds 50 ton structures with Thai labor and materials and ships them all over the world with no problems. Sounds to me like you have a problem. Have you tried getting new spectacles?

Edited by thailiketoo

I agree with the OP for that quality products in Thailand are very hard to find. I want to add to that that also quality brands from the USA (Calphalon, Lazyboy, and some more) are crap as well. They don't last long enough for what they cost.

Truevalue has many shops in BKK, they have all american products which are not bad but also are not German or Japanese quality. Their service is bad though and they can't speak english.

Why should they? They're in Thailand. The overwhelming majority of their customers are Thai. Do you expect BMW salesmen in Bangkok to speak German? Ferrari salesmen to speak Italian?

Well maybe because Bangkok is also a hub for many things? That Truevalue could sell a lot more if the personell spoke english. Up to them. Also all the manuals for their products are in english.

And yes i expected the sales from BMW to speak english on the BKK motor show in Impact, they immediatly offered me a testride in their topmodel as well. But a Toyotasalesman in the biggest Toyotadealer of Bangkok can't speak a word english. Been there done that.

I very much doubt that all major manufacturer sales booths at the motor show didn't have a proficient English speaking representative. Maybe they "qualified" you as a time waster & treated you accordingly.

If you addressed them in the same manner as you write, I doubt if they understood you.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 2

I use HomePro. I bought some 90 degree brackets to put up a shelf and a power drill no problem. I use Lazada and Lotus almost weekly. I don't have any problems finding people to do the proper job. My wife builds 50 ton structures with Thai labor and materials and ships them all over the world with no problems. Sounds to me like you have a problem. Have you tried getting new spectacles?

Put some brackets up with a drill, that's good. Well I have built two houses over here using my wife's family as labour, all farmers but attended the local DIY college. They have not fallen down yet despite some dodgy cement mixing.

On 12 Jan 2008 my wife's youngest brother fell from 40 floors off a Bangkok building. The S Korean construction company paid the family off with 80K THB compo. As a family we have moved on, but do not get me started.

If you fancy a trip over to Phu Toei to advise me on choice of spectacles, come on over, love to meet you.

Edited by phutoie2

Put some brackets up with a drill, that's good. Well I have built two houses over here using my wife's family as labour, all farmers but attended the local DIY college. They have not fallen down yet despite some dodgy cement mixing.

On 12 Jan 2008 my wife's youngest brother fell from 40 floors off a Bangkok building. The S Korean construction company paid the family off with 80K THB compo. As a family we have moved on, but do not get me started.

If you fancy a trip over to Phu Toei to advise me on choice of spectacles, come on over, love to meet you.

lol

Since you have built two houses I guess you qualify as a Thai builder.

Not sure about that. I bumped into a 90 degree angle the other day & immediately struck up a conversation. I inquired if he had many friends. Oh yeah, I have lots of friends, squares, triangles, circles & even a couple of 45 & 60 degree angles. Said he had many Thai friends as well, a couple were builders. Said they always recognized him & had a chat whenever they bumped into each other.

If one was a clown back home, they'd no doubt be the ring master here.

• Like 1

Most people cannot afford expensive things, so the market is not very big.

Plenty of quality stuff available (including Snap-on tools) but you do have to pay for it, which people tend to squeak at.

Incidentally, I have and older 11-drawer Snap-on chest I'd like to sell for THB30K

I have no complaints about my house although I wish I had met the builder before he was finished. I really like Home Pro and there are a few things I would have changed. I would have upgraded on a few things in the house. Hot tub/bath with jets, different toilet; HomePro really has some cool toilets. Kitchen stuff; such as built in oven and decorative stuff and more cabinetry bigger sinks. A lot of little things that you think of after you move in. I also would have built my dog a nicer addition than she has now. She likes it now but I would have added some things to make it more comfortable during rain storms. I would have installed nicer light fixtures and ceiling fans.

HomePro has three or four levels of quality on most building products. I would have spent more money than my builder. I don't have any problem finding quality here. Of course you pay for it.

My builder used cheap doors and windows; I'm replacing them as get the energy and every time I change a light bulb I change the fixture too.

Edited by thailiketoo

OP, with the greatest respect, it only shows laziness on your part in purchasing the items you have mentioned. Every one of them is available here in Thailand. But, be willing to pay for the quality. At this moment in time we must have a couple of million bahts worth of snap-on tools in our workshop, all purchased in Thailand, all genuine.

The reason why there is so much cheap stuff about can be directly related to average income, the sellers aren't stupid in that respect.

Could you direct me as to we're I can get snap on tools here or like quality ?

I know little off topic

Thanks

I have no complaints about my house although I wish I had met the builder before he was finished. I really like Home Pro and there are a few things I would have changed. I would have upgraded on a few things in the house. Hot tub/bath with jets, different toilet; HomePro really has some cool toilets. Kitchen stuff; such as built in oven and decorative stuff and more cabinetry bigger sinks. A lot of little things that you think of after you move in. I also would have built my dog a nicer addition than she has now. She likes it now but I would have added some things to make it more comfortable during rain storms. I would have installed nicer light fixtures and ceiling fans.

HomePro has three or four levels of quality on most building products. I would have spent more money than my builder. I don't have any problem finding quality here. Of course you pay for it.

My builder used cheap doors and windows; I'm replacing them as get the energy and every time I change a light bulb I change the fixture too.

Not completely true actually, some stuff is just crap here even in home pro, pvc pipes and their threads are a good example of that. Been everywhere with some experts from back home and they all agree its crap. Went to Home pro / Thaiwatsadu / the local shops. Its all crap for pipes and threads.

You probably haven't been back in the USA for a long time or have done a lot of DIY there currently. I know that the shops in the Netherlands are real good for DIY and they do have quality products there unlike here.

Everyone saying you can get the same quality here as back in your home country is a Thai apologist, the selection is much wider and the quality much better in general. That does not mean you can't get any quality here but its way less as back in the old country.

Try finding some diamond tipped hole saws here for tiles ect. I know because my dad is great at DIY and does it back in the Netherlands and when he is here he fixes my home. So he is up to date with both ranges of products. Most here havent done DIY themselfs in the old country for years how can they even compare what is available or even the quality.

• Like 1

Not completely true actually, some stuff is just crap here even in home pro, pvc pipes and their threads are a good example of that. Been everywhere with some experts from back home and they all agree its crap. Went to Home pro / Thaiwatsadu / the local shops. Its all crap for pipes and threads.

You probably haven't been back in the USA for a long time or have done a lot of DIY there currently. I know that the shops in the Netherlands are real good for DIY and they do have quality products there unlike here.

Everyone saying you can get the same quality here as back in your home country is a Thai apologist, the selection is much wider and the quality much better in general. That does not mean you can't get any quality here but its way less as back in the old country.

Try finding some diamond tipped hole saws here for tiles ect. I know because my dad is great at DIY and does it back in the Netherlands and when he is here he fixes my home. So he is up to date with both ranges of products. Most here havent done DIY themselfs in the old country for years how can they even compare what is available or even the quality.

its less because there is less demand

Could you direct me as to we're I can get snap on tools here or like quality ?

I know little off topic

Thanks

Snap-on (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

5th Floor, Talomsin Building

924 Rama 3 Road

Bangpongpang Yannawa

Bangkok 10120

Thailand

Ph: (66/2) 294-9660

Fax: (66/2)294-9665

There are guys out there that will do nice work .

The guy who did my fence was really good he came with his tools and every thing to do the job .

He charged me 1000 baht a day and it was well worth it . I get many comments on my fence .

I used a hard wood and he took me to a shop were they sell imported hardware like the stainless steel bolts and things .

Yes it did cost more up front to build but it has been in place for 5 years and still looks good and solid.

I have went through many contractors before I found him and there workman ship is total crap .

When I look for contractors I look to see if they have the tools to do the job first or if they start to say they need my tools then they are not hired .

And ask your contractor the various things they do if they say they do plumbing electric drywall concert etc ... I avoid them

In the west when u want electrical done in the house I don't call a drywaller I call a electrician .

Same here I want to deal with a guy that does only electrical

The results are usually better

Yep, one of the things one has to put up with living in this fair land; crap quality products right across the board, from tools to homeware and consumables. It was always a bit iffy but is worse today than even just a few years ago and you will never save money by buying cheap as you'll be replacing stuff every five minutes. Of course, the floodgates have opened from China, but there are different grades and much of what is sold here uses the cheapest available plastics beads and metals. What doesn't fall apart within weeks will be zapped by the frequent surges and brownouts in the lecky supply. And yes it is also exasperating trying to find a decent tradesman. They do exist, but as they are so few and far between, they are typically always busy. While paying for a tradesman back home is big bucks, there is absolutely no comparison in the quality vs choice vs cost of DIY products, also extending to foodstuffs in supermarkets. These are all very real issues for those with a discerning mind and you will always get typical, throw-away comments like 'go home if you don't like it' ... usually from people who won't have the truth revealed about their precious.

Anyway, in conclusion, crap quality products sort of goes hand-in-hand with rubbish service and general apathy, but we wouldn't have good ole Muang Thai any other way, would we? ermm.gif

Yep, one of the things one has to put up with living in this fair land; crap quality products right across the board, from tools to homeware and consumables. It was always a bit iffy but is worse today than even just a few years ago and you will never save money by buying cheap as you'll be replacing stuff every five minutes. Of course, the floodgates have opened from China, but there are different grades and much of what is sold here uses the cheapest available plastics beads and metals. What doesn't fall apart within weeks will be zapped by the frequent surges and brownouts in the lecky supply. And yes it is also exasperating trying to find a decent tradesman. They do exist, but as they are so few and far between, they are typically always busy. While paying for a tradesman back home is big bucks, there is absolutely no comparison in the quality vs choice vs cost of DIY products, also extending to foodstuffs in supermarkets. These are all very real issues for those with a discerning mind and you will always get typical, throw-away comments like 'go home if you don't like it' ... usually from people who won't have the truth revealed about their precious.

Anyway, in conclusion, crap quality products sort of goes hand-in-hand with rubbish service and general apathy, but we wouldn't have good ole Muang Thai any other way, would we? ermm.gif

the thai bashers sure wouldnt. they would have to find a life.

Strangely enough, what the OP describes is what I have noticed is happening (regarding goods) in Australia, only the crap goods in Oz are somewhat more expensive.

As for tradesman, Australia has good and bad, although building standards IMHO are much higher.

We live I. junk societies, built to a price rather than a certain quality. Thailand is NOT on it's own.

as a tradesman I agree but here there are no tradesmen as there are no apprenticeships, its everyone for themselves and anyone can do whatever they like, electrical work, plumbing, building, painting, every family member does all of the above, hubbies, wives and kids. Problem is that if there were tradesmen no one would pay for them, they simply want the cheapest they can get, a few may want better quality but they still dont want to pay western tradesmen prices so in reality they get what they deserve/want. You also have to look at the costs here, if you had to pay for better quality everything would be expensive and Thailand would no longer be cheap to live in. I simply try to buy things that are not thai made, they do not last and the warranty is a joke. As for working material, its near impossible to get good quality anything, the paint is absolute rubbish they use cheap materials to keep prices low and you can tell by the finishes, even the best of them is well below western quality. I realize that a lot of us may have a bitch about it but thats because we know what we are talking about, living here though you just have to accept that this is what it is here, sure we can have a bitch session but we cant do much about it, if we want to live here we just have to accept its part of where we arethumbsup.gif

Suchin Katavut, president of the Thai Welding Society, said welders in Thailand receive wages nine times higher than the minimum wage at 300 baht per day, as the job is dirty and dangerous.

There are about 1 million people working in this sector, but with 35-40% of them qualified to work abroad, this has resulted in a local shortage, said Mr Suchin.

OI have seen some of the quality of thai metal workers, I bought a metal rake made locally, the first time I used it, it fell to pieces within a couple of minutes, the thing was total crap. Now, how many of these "qualified" metal workers do an apprenticeship and learn all the technical side to what they do?, they are simply scrubbers, people that simply do what they have been shown with no formal qualifications. Admittedly I know a couple of brilliant welders but they actually take pride in their work, something missing from most. There is a big difference with being able to weld and being qualified to weld, same with all trades, I have a great sparky that is brilliant but I have also seen what others do and what he had to fix at our house due to the crappy unprofessional job dome when it was built. If you look very hard you will find a few good tradesmen but they are rare here as there is no legal requirement for them to be licenced. just look at all the kids being killed due to all the bullsh*t electrical jobs, buildings collapsing etc.

as a tradesman I agree but here there are no tradesmen as there are no apprenticeships, its everyone for themselves and anyone can do whatever they like, electrical work, plumbing, building, painting, every family member does all of the above, hubbies, wives and kids. Problem is that if there were tradesmen no one would pay for them, they simply want the cheapest they can get, a few may want better quality but they still dont want to pay western tradesmen prices so in reality they get what they deserve/want. You also have to look at the costs here, if you had to pay for better quality everything would be expensive and Thailand would no longer be cheap to live in. I simply try to buy things that are not thai made, they do not last and the warranty is a joke. As for working material, its near impossible to get good quality anything, the paint is absolute rubbish they use cheap materials to keep prices low and you can tell by the finishes, even the best of them is well below western quality. I realize that a lot of us may have a bitch about it but thats because we know what we are talking about, living here though you just have to accept that this is what it is here, sure we can have a bitch session but we cant do much about it, if we want to live here we just have to accept its part of where we arethumbsup.gif

Suchin Katavut, president of the Thai Welding Society, said welders in Thailand receive wages nine times higher than the minimum wage at 300 baht per day, as the job is dirty and dangerous.

There are about 1 million people working in this sector, but with 35-40% of them qualified to work abroad, this has resulted in a local shortage, said Mr Suchin.

OI have seen some of the quality of thai metal workers, I bought a metal rake made locally, the first time I used it, it fell to pieces within a couple of minutes, the thing was total crap. Now, how many of these "qualified" metal workers do an apprenticeship and learn all the technical side to what they do?, they are simply scrubbers, people that simply do what they have been shown with no formal qualifications. Admittedly I know a couple of brilliant welders but they actually take pride in their work, something missing from most. There is a big difference with being able to weld and being qualified to weld, same with all trades, I have a great sparky that is brilliant but I have also seen what others do and what he had to fix at our house due to the crappy unprofessional job dome when it was built. If you look very hard you will find a few good tradesmen but they are rare here as there is no legal requirement for them to be licenced. just look at all the kids being killed due to all the bullsh*t electrical jobs, buildings collapsing etc.

like he said, the good ones go abroad

If I said everything here is of great quality and good enough to build world class autos, hard drives and many other things you would say I was an apologist. On the other hand if the typical TV poster says, "crap quality products right across the board, from tools to homeware and consumables" he is considered accurate.

Dave I notice you have never started a topic on Thai Visa. When I have a problem I start a topic to try to solve it. I asked for help with a home grease trap once and not one of the advanced craftsmen on Thai Visa had ever heard of putting in a grease trap at home. I asked in another thread if anyone has ever had a true visions phone and if anyone has hooked up a PS3 wireless to 3bb. No luck in getting an answer but I asked. And then there is the difference in terminology that one has to wade through when discussing things like a ground wire. But I try.

A guy on Thai Visa showed me how to pause my TV during a movie so I could go to the toilet. I would never have known how to do that.

There are 4700 references to diamond tipped drill bits on AliBaba. Another guy listed a Thai source for snap on tools.

You want great clothes here find a tailor but you might have to start a topic to find one.

I have a low opinion of people who don't start topics and who don't help others looking for things. A throw away comment like, "crap quality products right across the board, from tools to homeware and consumables" Will get you comments back like go home where you know where to find stuff.

I've seen many posters on Thai Visa who have never been to Thailand blathering on about crap quality when they never ask any questions of where to find quality or the things they need and I wonder if they are astroturfers.

• Like 1

Of course it is because there is less demand I did not say it was illogical or anything like that just stating a fact. DIY is real big back home because good tradesmen are expensive. But with the right tools and the materials available in the Netherlands most people can do a lot themselves (me excluded two left hands here)

Of course it is because there is less demand I did not say it was illogical or anything like that just stating a fact. DIY is real big back home because good tradesmen are expensive. But with the right tools and the materials available in the Netherlands most people can do a lot themselves (me excluded two left hands here)

why are you complaining?

We are talking about two different things. I was referring to the Thai Welding and Inspection Association. You can look at the legal requirements for them to be licensed and certified.

http://www.tws.or.th/

But you are correct that they don't need a certification and 10 years experience to make a rake.

Agriculture has poorest safety record of any industry, official figures say
Ninety-eight members of the public are among nearly 750 people who have died in the last 16 years http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/jun/13/agriculture-poorest-safety-record-industry
The oil industry has been responsible for thousands of fires, explosions, and leaks over the last decade, killing dozens of people and destroying wildlife and the environment across America, according to a report published today.

Oil industry safety record blown open
National Wildlife Federation says catalogue of oil industry accidents proves BP disaster in Gulf of Mexico is not a one-off. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jul/29/america-bp-oil-industry-safety-record
If you want to look at bad safety records I suggest you not look at Thailand but at British Petroleum or the Exxon Valdez. Name me an accident in Thailand that was even 1% of the problems of the above two companies. I think you better rethink your position while accurately looking at Western industrial qualifications and actions and the realities of the worldwide workplace.
December 3, 1984: The Bhopal disaster in India is one of the largest industrial disasters on record. A runaway reaction in a tank containing poisonous methyl isocyanate caused the pressure relief system to vent large amounts to the atmosphere at a Union Carbide India Limited plant. Estimates of its death toll range from 4,000 to 20,000. The disaster caused the region's human and animal populations severe health problems to the present.
Take a look at the industrial disasters that killed thousands of people below and tell me if they happened in Thailand?

Edited by thailiketoo

why are you complaining?

Because i would like some better quality products once in a while instead of importing everything. I know why things are not available, I know why many Thais suck at construction (but I am the first to admit there are good guys just real hard to find).

I can remember my dad working in my shower last year and him cursing after we went to 3 shops (home pro / Thaiwatsadu / local shop) and getting connection pvc pics. Once back most sizes were not correct the threads were not good. the stuff kept leaking and breaking.

These kind of things can give a lot of frustration when doing something that should be relatively easy.

In the years I have imported many tools and stuff as it was the only way. Just some good drills for masonry were impossible to find (even in home pro) We are not talking average quality but good ones. So I let dad buy it.. up to a 1000bt per drill bit. Result, much easier work while laying tiles.. combined with some diamond hole cutters my floor looked far superior to what the Thais did before.

So good tools help you do a job easier and people who know about those tools and how to use them. Yes id pay extra for a good Thai or other products, problem is its hard to acquire.

One can complain about stuff without putting Thais down, that is exactly what I am doing.