Serena & Venus Williams: Russian fined for 'brothers' jibe

Lite Beer

Serena & Venus Williams: Russian fined for 'brothers' jibe

Russian Tennis Federation president Shamil Tarpischev has been fined $25,000 (£15,500) for referring to Serena and Venus Williams as "the Williams brothers" on a TV chat show.

Tarpischev also received a one-year ban from involvement in the women's tour.
Women's Tennis Association chief executive Stacy Allaster said the comments were "insulting, demeaning and have absolutely no place in our sport".

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/29672340

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-18

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In America, brother is a term used to refer to an African-American male. cf the original film The Longest Yard. 'do you know why you call each other brother? Cause half of you don't know who your daddy is, and you just might be brothers.'

Edited by zaphod reborn
  • Like 2

In America, brother is a term used to refer to an African-American male. cf the original film The Longest Yard. 'do you know why you call each other brother? Cause half of you don't know who your daddy is, and you just might be brothers.'

So next time my sister calls me brother I'm gone sue the hell out of her.

• Like 2

Sorry not a joke, or a comment on their bodies, the remark made was in respect of their 'gender' and was perhaps to suggest that these ladies were more masculine than feminine.

It was an insulting remark whether made in jest or not.

And please before someone makes a remark about being too PC. I am the least PC person you could imagine and am aghast that these days you can get into trouble for telling an Englishman, Irishman & Scotsman joke, as well as now children not being able to sing the nursery rhyme 'Baa Baa Black sheep'

Sorry not a joke, or a comment on their bodies, the remark made was in respect of their 'gender' and was perhaps to suggest that these ladies were more masculine than feminine.

It was an insulting remark whether made in jest or not.

And please before someone makes a remark about being too PC. I am the least PC person you could imagine and am aghast that these days you can get into trouble for telling an Englishman, Irishman & Scotsman joke, as well as now children not being able to sing the nursery rhyme 'Baa Baa Black sheep'

Correct sir - on both counts.

I dare not let my kids wear the Robinson's jam gollywog badges these days. Remember collecting the little gollywog tokens? All because racists used that symbol in insulting ways.

Same that calling someone "a gay blade" was a compliment when gay wasn't a word now reserved exclusively for homosexuals.

Initially I thought this comment was a little humorous... However, after reading the above interpretation I can see how the comment was racially insulting, the fine and ban seems fair enough..

The only person who knows what aspect the remark was directed at is the person who made it. Everything else, including your (and my) opinion is just guesswork.

Also you contradict yourself.

You say it wasn't a comment on their bodies then say the comment was to suggest they were masculine.

Muscular physiques are an obvious sign of masculinity.

It's clear to anyone that the Williams 'sisters', especially Serena, has a muscular, masculine body.

It's a racial slur. Punishment is well-deserved.

What is racist in Williams brothers sentence?

Exactly. "Racism" has become the catch-cry for ALL liberal leftists morons.

More accurately they are like heavyweight boxers taking on the lightweights;

perhaps tennis should have 'weight and strength' divisions...

I could definately see Robin Williams saying it, and everybody would have laughed for days.

When are 'white people' gonna stand up and start law suits over racial slurs from others (because we know it happens all the time)...?

I support the Russian, very funny...!

• Like 2

So next time my sister calls me brother I'm gone sue the hell out of her.

Troll (Internet)
In internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion