New Traffic Tunnel To Be Constructed In Pattaya

Rimmer

I'm trying to get my head around this. The tunnel will start at SSC and run for 1.9km - diverting traffic away from the lights at P Klang and P Tai. But it seems to me that the worst jams are between P Nua and P Klang, especially southbound. After Klang to Tai, Suk opens up a bit and the main congestion problems then involve the feeder roads - Suk seems to flow reasonably (I think). The tunnel will simply divert traffic from just before Klang to a spot 1.9km away - where many people will not want to go. It's acting like a bypass, in other words - but bypassing where most traffic wants to go. I'm confused.

• Like 1

I'm trying to get my head around this. The tunnel will start at SSC and run for 1.9km - diverting traffic away from the lights at P Klang and P Tai. But it seems to me that the worst jams are between P Nua and P Klang, especially southbound. After Klang to Tai, Suk opens up a bit and the main congestion problems then involve the feeder roads - Suk seems to flow reasonably (I think). The tunnel will simply divert traffic from just before Klang to a spot 1.9km away - where many people will not want to go. It's acting like a bypass, in other words - but bypassing where most traffic wants to go. I'm confused.

It will divert traffic away from SSCC and Klang traffic lights.,that mean it will start somewhere near Boonthavorn and end past Nakornchai air busstation.

Edited by TheCruncher

This is a joke isn't it? And if it isn't how can construction begin in 30 days time? Was there any public consultation?

Another more feasible way of easing traffic congestion in Pattaya if you want to see the continued encouragement of private traffic would be to build overpasses from Pattaya Klang, Nuea and Dhai over Sukhamvhit and then over the railway and adjacent roads. These would work just as effectively as the overpasses and highways built over Bangkok eased the traffic congestion there.

If you really want to ease traffic congestion in Pattaya you need to control the traffic entering and leaving Pattaya. This involves a planning strategy to control parking and driving. Traffic rules must be enforced. Pedestrian crossings, yellow boxes, no U-turns, traffic lights etc have to be used properly.

While we are it why not have some proper planning to create some green public spaces, proper foot paths (without motorcycles etc), cycle lanes etc. It would also be sensible to have some proper control of building etc.........Ok I will now stop dreaming and go for a run instead, in Pratumnak Hill Park and hopefully avoid being run down by a motorcycle being ridden at excessive speed.

You can't even walk on Beach Road without fear of being run down by a motorcyclist or cyclist.

Pattaya needs more traffic, so build the tunnel, build more roads, more overpasses and bring on Grid lock ......then and only then will attitudes change.

Pattaya needs a bypass, not a tunnel.

It's got one....the Sukhumvit - you can go from Bangkok, right down to Satahip and wave at Pattaya and Jomtien as you pass, if you so desire.

See - I can be sarcastic too! alt=whistling.gif>

OK the Sukhumvit needs a by-pass starting at Chomburi all the way down to Sittihip...

Interesting discussion of this new underpass here:

http://www.pattayamail.com/942/letters.shtml

But I don't think the second bypass being discussed got the green light. The highway bypass will cut through near Maprachan over towards Phoenix and then down to Sattahip. I'll try to find some info on this.

It will divert traffic away from SSCC and Klang traffic lights.,that mean it will start somewhere near Boonthavorn and end past Nakornchai air busstation.

Yes, it would divert traffic from that small area, but is it worth the expenditure of $26 millionUS to do so? I have just come from that area and the traffic is light. So-called morning peak hour.

As mentioned in #36, there are other solutions, better ones than this.

Hmmm ... I wonder what $7.8 million can buy me?

Yes, it would divert traffic from that small area, but is it worth the expenditure of $26 millionUS to do so? I have just come from that area and the traffic is light. So-called morning peak hour.

As mentioned in #36, there are other solutions, better ones than this.

Hmmm ... I wonder what $7.8 million can buy me?

Of course there are better options, an overpass would take a fraction of the time to construct at a fraction of the construction cost of a tunnel, but then there can also only be a fraction scooped off the budget.

• Like 2

The 'Chaiyapreuk' lights are a disgrace, set-up to keep as many cars on Suk captive for as long as possible so the road sellers can pay commission to whoever sets the lights.

​Add in the new junction further up towards Sattahip by the police station/court also with unco-ordinated lights and weekend traffic in both directions is at a standstill for hours on end.

Using the term loosely, there are already two bi-passes, of sorts.

The first one is the 'local' road which runs alongside the railway tracks and runs from the main Banglamung Road, north of Pattaya and it bi-passes Naklua, Central Pattaya, South Pattaya and Jomtien, and you come out onto Sukhumvit way out in Huay Yai, near to Bang Sare.

This used to be a very good bi-pass until everyone discovered it! It now gets very jammed during the rush hour at the intersections around Pattaya, but it is still a good way to go outside of the rush hour.

The second bi-pass is route 36 towards Rayong and then take a right to Sattahip, or even earlier if you want to go to somewhere like Bang Sarae.

When driving from Bangkok on the motorway, you keep going towards Rayong, instead of bearing right into Pattaya. The look for the signs to Sattahip, Bang Chang or wherever you are heading

You will completely bi-pass Pattaya and it is usually quite a quick journey. It is a really good way to go, especially if you live on the Darkside.

For Darkside residents, there are many other good back street routes, that avoid Sukhumvit and the 'local railway road' and take you back onto Sukhumvit, well past Jomtien.

Unfortunately, in spite of these alternatives, I fear that some kind of bridge or tunnel in Sukhumvit around Central Pattaya will become an imperative if the city is to avoid total gridlock in the next year or so.

RIDICULOUS, RIDICULOUS & MORE RIDICULOUS!!!

They prefer to spend more money and disrupt everything for the sake of building a tunnel on Pattaya Klang when they could disrupt matters for a shorter period of time and build a public transport system, such as the BTS in Bangkok, which would solve many issues and be more beneficial in many other ways than to clear up traffic in one general area. Oops...I'm sorry, that would step on the toes of the Songtails and they will not be able to make a living. Tear a big hole that leads to the beach and let's see the tunnel fill up with traffic as well as Pattaya Klang simultaneously and then let's see how much more money and how much more disruption will occur with their next hair brain ideas on how to cure congestion!

Stupid people!!!

(BTS System from Naklua to Satahip and into the beach areas + major parking lots or garages along the Sukhumvit area to store commuter cars to make the streets less congested)

Edited by OPG
  • Like 1

I know zero about civil engineering but I would have thought that it would be much cheaper and quicker to build an overpass - or more than one if necessary - rather than a tunnel.

This is especially so considering there must be a huge drainage system under the ground around there to carry the flash floods from East Pattaya down to the sea.

I well recall the Lime house link tunnel in the east end of London which took years to complete due to underground waterways, and another one out in Essex near Raleigh Weir which was also a nightmare to build due to underground water systems.

Both projects cost millions and millions (of pounds) and both came in years late and way over budget.

A billion Baht sounds pretty cheap to me for a project of such complexity….

If this project goes ahead, I would guess it will take a minimum of 10 years to finish, and its budget will go up in every one of those ten years, (if the farce at Theppraya Road is anything to go by), and thus providing a never ending corruption stream....

I sincerely hope I am proved to be wrong.

Any civil engineers out there with an opinion on this?

• Like 2

“Pattaya hopes to begin work on Central-Sukhumvit bypass in November” (Pattaya Mail August 2011)

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-hopes-to-begin-work-on-central-sukhumvit-bypass-in-november-5383

Thanks. I thought I was having deja vu.

I see that both articles say the start date will be in November but they don't say in which year.

• Like 2

I don't know, why everybody is so negative about this project.

Maybe they will build an exit to "The biggest IT Mall in South East Asia on Pattaya Klang" tongue.png

Somebody remember the giant advertising signs from Chonburi to Rayong, a few years ago?

Nah, this tunnel is another brain fart and even IF they build it, who is brave enough to use it, especially in the rainy season?

That would be a tunnel that goes underneath the lowest part of Sukhumvit where there's already considerable underground pipe and box work that doesn't work hence the flash floods when everything drains down Boonsampan trying to get to the sea. I estimate that the turn off from Sukhumvit into Klang is much more manageable than the turn from Sukhumvit into Tai so why not extend any tunnel to bypass BOTH these intersections since the purpose of the tunnel is a Pattaya bypass? Or as suggested, an overpass that does both intersections. Sukhumvit in Pattaya is a whole lot wider than it's northern bit in Bangkok where they have happily built overpasses and railroad tracks.

I go with Mobi and they could save loadsa money and build one or two elevated highways down the railroad tracks; one southbound and the other northbound. With proper interchanges at the north end, that would take through traffic from Highway 3 AND Highway 7 clear on down to the Huayyai Road and leave the existing Sukhumvit stretch as-is for the local traffic and rainy season afternoon submariners. However, that would mean involving the SRT in land negotiations and we already know that their land commands a much higher premium than any other land in Thailand... apart from the RTA's land of course.

Edited by NanLaew

That would be a tunnel that goes underneath the lowest part of Sukhumvit where there's already considerable underground pipe and box work that doesn't work hence the flash floods when everything drains down Boonsampan trying to get to the sea. I estimate that the turn off from Sukhumvit into Klang is much more manageable than the turn from Sukhumvit into Tai so why not extend any tunnel to bypass BOTH these intersections since the purpose of the tunnel is a Pattaya bypass? Or as suggested, an overpass that does both intersections. Sukhumvit in Pattaya is a whole lot wider than it's northern bit in Bangkok where they have happily built overpasses and railroad tracks.

I go with Mobi and they could save loadsa money and build one or two elevated highways down the railroad tracks; one southbound and the other northbound. With proper interchanges at the north end, that would take through traffic from Highway 3 AND Highway 7 clear on down to the Huayyai Road and leave the existing Sukhumvit stretch as-is for the local traffic and rainy season afternoon submariners. However, that would mean involving the SRT in land negotiations and we already know that their land commands a much higher premium than any other land in Thailand... apart from the RTA's land of course.

SSCC and Pattaya Klang cross sections are the highest parts of Sukhumvit, from there it goes down towards South and North Pattaya.

Yet I agree that a overpass would be cheaper, faster to construct and equal sufficient.

The bypass road from Highway 7 to Hua Yai was already announced some time ago.

Edited by TheCruncher

SSCC and Pattaya Klang cross sections are the highest parts of Sukhumvit, from there it goes down towards South and North Pattaya.

Yet I agree that a overpass would be cheaper, faster to construct and equal sufficient.

Klang intersection is almost twice the elevation of the Tai intersection which is on the rise before the next highest point at Theprasit. After which is it pretty much steady with the sharp rise just south of the Floating Market and the biggest drop off around Huayyai Road.

This proposed tunnel will only bypass the Klang intersection and avoid the issues with the areas that traditionally flash flood but the cost for only bypassing one major intersection is ridiculous... unless as I say the SRT want twice as much for the underpinning of elevated highways either side of their railroad track. Going that route would give about 16km of pure, 100% Pattaya bypass and far enough back from the sea not to bugger up the questionable aesthetics of Pattaya.

I haven't seen anything official yet on the either the Nongkrabork or Mabprachan bypasses, just English-language words and pictures on English-language websites. These seem to be penned by foreigners who probably have nice homes that were once out in the country but are rapidly being swallowed up by Pattaya's urban sprawl... and the ways to bypass it.

Edited by NanLaew

Klang intersection is almost twice as high as the Tai intersection which is on the rise before the next highest point at Theprasit. After which is it pretty much steady with the sharp rise just south of the Floating Market and the biggest drop off around Huayyai Road.

This proposed tunnel will only bypass the Klang intersection and avoid the issues with the areas that traditionally flash flood but the cost for only bypassing one major intersection is ridiculous... unless as I say the SRT want twice as much for the underpinning of elevated highways either side of their railroad track. Going that route would give about 16km of pure, 100% Pattaya bypass and far enough back from the sea not to bugger up the questionable aesthetics of Pattaya.

I haven't seen anything official yet on the either the Nongkrabork or Mabprachan bypasses, just English-language words and pictures on English-language websites. These seem to be penned by foreigners who probably have nice homes that were once out in the country but are rapidly being swallowed up by Pattaya's urban sprawl... and the ways to bypass it.

The tunnel will bypass SSCC and Klang intersections, which would relieve traffic coming from South Pattaya and North Pattaya.

You will notice that Index has moved as well as the scrap dealer next to it, I think this may be related to the tunnel.

Klang intersection is almost twice as high as the Tai intersection which is on the rise before the next highest point at Theprasit. After which is it pretty much steady with the sharp rise just south of the Floating Market and the biggest drop off around Huayyai Road.

The tunnel will bypass SSCC and Klang intersections, which would relieve traffic coming from South Pattaya and North Pattaya.

You will notice that Index has moved as well as the scrap dealer next to it, I think this may be related to the tunnel.

I agree with what the extents of the tunnel will bypass (I consider the SSCC and Klang intersections as one, fustercluck of an intersection) but in reality it is still a whole lot of money just to bypass a couple of adjacent T-junctions. The tailbacks at the Sukhumvit/Tai junctions can be just as horrendous, especially at weekends when Pattaya's finest's idea of traffic management is to erect unmanned no-right-turn barriers at Sukhumvit/Klang and force everything coming from the north further down south into Tai.

Surely to God there must be detailed plans available for the public to inspect at City Hall?

And surely to God there must have been some kind of public consultation before such major, disruptive plan was approved, and the reasons as to why they opted for a tunnel rather than the quicker, cheaper option of overpasses.

Maybe one of the local contractors acquired one of those huge tunnel digging machines from Euro-tunnel at a knock down price and is anxious to put it to use...... sad.png

I hope they don't start digging from both ends at once and hope to meet in the middlesmile.png

The tunnel is not being made to by-pass Pattaya; it is being made to clear up congestion in Pattaya. Now, clearing up congestion is a VERY GOOD IDEA, but building a tunnel is NOT A GOOD IDEA! I remember many issues with the Songtails in the past when Pattaya considered putting in a BTS like system in to help with the congestion. First of all, I believe it was completely stupid to have pushed this proposal away just to please the Songtails, which are a big part of the congestion inside Pattaya.

Now, I do believe that there are many options here, but the one I'd like to see pushed through, is a BTS like in Bangkok that runs up and down Sukhumvit to Sattahip with line transfers to the beach areas at Pattaya Nua, Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Tai & Thepprasit all the way to Nao Jomtiem. They can put in Car Parks along the Sukhumvit Road to store vehicles with plenty of lighting and security. The cause effect will be less congestion and will allow room to create a bicycle, running, skating and walking lane around town that is safe. Businesses around Pattaya will benefit as they will have more people walking in areas that tend to only see traffic. The Songtails will continue making money as they will still work their typical route through Pattaya Beach and around 2nd Road back to the beach and in addition, they will have an established route that will run to all Car Parks.

For a City the size of Pattaya, it is perfect and will also tackle future problems. Building a tunnel to solve congestion in one area of Pattaya is ridiculous and extremely costly as they will only solve one part of the puzzle and disrupt traffic for A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

Why doesn't someone bite the bullet and make a "Pattaya by Pass" which actually bypasses Pattaya for these vehicles which have no intention of using Sukhumvit Road?

I think the original plan was for a bypass to come in around Chaiyapreuk Road, but local opposition proved too much

There is a bypass being planned. It will cut across from highway 7 and go near Maprachan then down towards Phoenix and then Sattahip. I'm sure it will be 10 years before it's open. I was in an office of a business here and saw the plans. I'll try to find some info on it...I know it's here somewhere...Google! LOL

I've only been here 5 years and live south of Pattaya. I'd guess the traffic volume has pretty much doubled, or more, since I've been here. Crazy.

There is a bypass being planned. It will cut across from highway 7 and go near Maprachan then down towards Phoenix and then Sattahip. I'm sure it will be 10 years before it's open. I was in an office of a business here and saw the plans. I'll try to find some info on it...I know it's here somewhere...Google! LOL

I've only been here 5 years and live south of Pattaya. I'd guess the traffic volume has pretty much doubled, or more, since I've been here. Crazy.

I guess it all looks something like this.

post-35874-0-45007200-1413976701_thumb.p

• Like 1

It's got one....the Sukhumvit - you can go from Bangkok, right down to Satahip and wave at Pattaya and Jomtien as you pass, if you so desire.

See - I can be sarcastic too! whistling.gif

OK the Sukhumvit needs a by-pass starting at Chomburi all the way down to Sittihip...

nah, they should make it an elevated highway above Sukhumvit.