What is wrong with Promenada?

bazza40

I also prefer it and hope it stays open, if only for Rimping.

Airport Plaza will always remain busy, not because of its proximity with the airport (actually, it's nowhere near it) and town but because it's a be seen kind if place for teens. Robinsons is also a good store, you have the two food courts and cinema, decent range of shops and it's all quite well priced. But I still prefer Promenada for that bit of sophistication and because it is QUIET!

No where near the airport you say? Not true.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What methods were used to encourage customers not to go to Promenada?"

Often times this method is called 'massive price reduction at established store' and new costs will stay in effect until the newcomer goes broke trying to compete.

This may take some time but finally the newcomer throws in the towel and trots off. At last, the 'real price' returns at original shop. But now there is no competition nearby.

"What methods were used to encourage customers not to go to Promenada?"

Often times this method is called 'massive price reduction at established store' and new costs will stay in effect until the newcomer goes broke trying to compete.

This may take some time but finally the newcomer throws in the towel and trots off. At last, the 'real price' returns at original shop. But now there is no competition nearby.

When did that happen?

Has there been a "massive price reduction" at Central Festival?

love promonada but...i think lack of shops and department store is the reason

rick

I agree, I'm not a shopper, Promenada is fine for me, but no anchor store/ department store for the wife. When we go to Big C, she shops, I have a beer, or lunch at Mcdonalds, Pizza hut or KFC. I love the open space at Promenada and it is close to us but we don't go often.

No destination/anchor stores....weird layout....inconvenient walking distances from store to store....no store front shopping....no public transport....hard in and out design for cars....long walks from parking...built like an airport....no easy way to the food court....not a intimate shopping feel....layout makes it look like a ghost town.....have to walk through the elements to get to second block of stores....nothing centralized about it....wife likes it - good for walking.....I like the clean uncrowded movies....when kids visit they like to skate....one thing that might keep Thais away - seems like high number of farangs - most nicely dressed......also like having the Dukes there.....easier quick drive for us out the ring road from canal road HD.... but for ease of shopping experience Airport Plaza is better + we are use to the AP food court near the cinemas.....Festval feels like a noisey ?masaleum? sic

Edited by pgrahmm

In a taxi one day going there and I asked why Promenada was empty. ''Pronenada no good, owner farang. Central good. Have Bangkok. Owner Thai."

Enough said I think.

I will not go there anymore after hearing first hand stories about ownership business practices. Thais are probably more aware of these than farangs as they are largely the ones doing business there.

I tried to go once but couldn't find it. There was a sign saying turn right then after that nothing, so gave up after a while and went to Central.

You are correct. You almost have to know exactly where it is, to find it. It's almost in a cul de sac, after you go past the Big C U-turn, and turn a long corner. It is somewhat non-descript from the exterior. Why did they pick that ugly shade of chocolate brown? There is little or nothing in the way of signage to lead you there. Inside, it is very pleasant. The architecture is lovely. The upstairs shop areas a filling in, but downstairs, on the Rimping floor, the rent must be prohibitive.

There is an oversupply of coffee shops. Near Duke's Place there are two coffee shops side by side.

Someday, this might be a going concern. Good luck to them.

• Like 1

The owners of Promenada must have deep pockets and/or maybe just gambling on population growth in that part of CM. As other have pointed out its essential to have a major name,like Robinson's as your major tenant. Rimping while it might be the biggest store in CM, and maybe the best, does not qualify. But who apart from a "Robinson's" is there ?

Promotion is almost non existent. I noted the outdoor "entertainment/music bowl concept which if utilised for music ,talent contest etc on weekends would pull a few in during the cooler months.

Signage is totally inadequate.Took us about 3 laps of the surrounds to find it. You spend a zillion baht on building a "shopping centre resort" and then keep its location a secretblink.png

The second time we were there we had coffee outside Ragu,it was 11.30 am and the girl said we were her first customers,you simply can't survive.

I wish them good luck but it has all the hallmarks of a large white elephant

• Like 1

The owners of Promenada must have deep pockets and/or maybe just gambling on population growth in that part of CM.

I heard that they are gambling with other people's money and not appreciated for it. Check their court cases.

No destination/anchor stores....weird layout....inconvenient walking distances from store to store....no store front shopping....no public transport....hard in and out design for cars....long walks from parking...built like an airport....no easy way to the food court....not a intimate shopping feel....layout makes it look like a ghost town.....have to walk through the elements to get to second block of stores....nothing centralized about it....wife likes it - good for walking.....I like the clean uncrowded movies....when kids visit they like to skate....one thing that might keep Thais away - seems like high number of farangs - most nicely dressed......also like having the Dukes there.....easier quick drive for us out the ring road from canal road HD.... but for ease of shopping experience Airport Plaza is better + we are use to the AP food court near the cinemas.....Festval feels like a noisey ?masaleum? sic

High number of farangs? I've been there twice in the last week. First time I did not see another farang in there during the 2 hours I was there. 2nd time (last night) I saw about 3 other farangs. Yes, agreed most of the farangs who go there tend to dress well.

In a taxi one day going there and I asked why Promenada was empty. ''Pronenada no good, owner farang. Central good. Have Bangkok. Owner Thai."

Enough said I think.

I will not go there anymore after hearing first hand stories about ownership business practices. Thais are probably more aware of these than farangs as they are largely the ones doing business there.

What "ownership business practices" are you talking about? Whatever they are, why do they differ from other malls? Please share.

The owners of Promenada must have deep pockets and/or maybe just gambling on population growth in that part of CM.

I heard that they are gambling with other people's money and not appreciated for it. Check their court cases.

That may well be the case. I believe that it was built with an eye to the future. It is kind of funny/sad the history. People were all excited about it and it was going to be a huge success.

They did have to hold up on the project shortly after it was made known here on TV. Rumor was that they were having money problems. Not saying just mentioning that a project like this could be used to launder money.

They've missed completely to attract the large amount of students, average Thai consumers/families, foreign tourists, etc...that you can find everywhere in mass in CNX.

Did you see any Burmese or Lao immigrants making a curiosity visit ?

Kids section is almost unique for me.

Promenada is a beautiful,unique place to visit and I think more people should give it a try.My girlfriend and myself go there once a week to eat and shop.I think one of the problems is the complex is split into two sections with a bridge linking them.This means you have to walk across the bridge.One time when it was raining the staff were lending out umbrellas so customers could get across the bridge without getting wet.Also,I think there are too many Malls in Chiang Mai considering the size of the population.There is not enough money about to support all these malls.Most of the Thai people eat and shop in the markets and you rarly see tourists about.Still,let us hope things will change and Promenada becomes a big success.

That may well be the case. I believe that it was built with an eye to the future. It is kind of funny/sad the history. People were all excited about it and it was going to be a huge success.

They did have to hold up on the project shortly after it was made known here on TV. Rumor was that they were having money problems. Not saying just mentioning that a project like this could be used to launder money.

What does 'not saying just mentioning' mean?

It means not accusing. Just pointing out a possibility.

• Like 1

Enough said I think.

What "ownership business practices" are you talking about? Whatever they are, why do they differ from other malls? Please share.

Generally paying for things you order and receive is a commonly accepted good business practice.

Failing to do so and putting suppliers on the edge of bankruptcy does not make one popular in the community.

Edited by Dante99

The only thing "right" about it for me is the Ragu restaurant, but that is a pretty big draw. I am hoping that David Duke's new Mexican place will be that good.

Yes not much of a shopper myself Although I like Sports World when they have

sales on shoes & Uniglo actually has good quality clothes at good prices....Did a lot of Xmas shopping

there last year for folks back in the US

But when I want some good Italian Deli type foods I like Ragu's

Also Dukes for a burger & that branch of Duke's is pretty easy for me to get to with easy parking not crowded etc.

+1 on the new Mexican place & I hope it is a good one.

Miguels at the moat is good for sure but I wouldn't mind another

good Mexican food place at all.

Just the basics done well would be great.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lets keep it simple ( cue the jokes....!) . The main business purpose of a shopping mall is shopping ? Central Airport and Festival have shops, proper ones, big ones, the ones people use every day, hence, they have customers, lots of them.

Promenada on the other hand doesnt have many of the "proper shops" we need every day, apart from Rimping, and if you need Japanese sized clothes (Uniqlo), so therefore it has no customers.

It has restaurants and coffee shops, lots of them, and it has opticians and pharmacies, lots of them, but it doesnt have proper shops hence no customers!

I just returned from Hong Kong where to an extent they have a similar problem to Promenada, huge malls, lots of them, seemingly on almost every street corner, but exclusively full of the brands 90% of people cant afford, you know, Prada, Gucci, Armani, Rolex, etc etc.....so what I observed in HK was similarly empty malls or malls where people walk around and look but dont buy! Aspirationalism ( if thats what its called!) is the curse of the world and it will only get worse! Met an American guy on the flight back from HK who was travelling from mainland China. There, he said, you have dirt poor Cities, but the malls there also only provide the stuff most of us cant buy? Strange world !!! Rant over !!!

"... there I go boasting again - but you falang guys know what I mean!"

I really hate to take you out of context, but I wish you would be a bit more specific.wink.png

• Like 1