What is wrong with Promenada?

bazza40

I would say Dukes 50% and Rimping 50% are the anchor stores. If you look around there, almost every shopper - Thai and farang are holding Rimping shopping bags. I've never seen anyone holding uniqlo bags other than a couple of Chinese tourists. The g/f's 18 y/o cousin said that Thais don't like the style of clothing they sell. I wouldn't know - never been inside.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All seem to agree Duke's is Promenada's anchor store...

Actually I would think Uniglo is the anchor at Promenade if thinking in a traditional sense.

But for draw I would say Sports World is decent sized too & I like not having to go to KSK to get to browse one.,

The restaurants in general..not just Dukes but Ragu, Fuji & if one likes Japanese there are quite a few others

Then of course as far as a supermarket goes in a Mall it is usually the likes of Tops so I guess a Rimping is a but more upscale

Although personally the wife & I shop at Big C

Then like most malls here they have 2 or 3 drugstores like Watsons/Boots types

Hair Salons...a few as usual, Computer/TV Appliance stores...The one at Prom is quite good & large ...prices of things on sale seem quite good there

Camera store, phone stores....all the same as most malls I think

Banks,,,,,coffee stands,,,KFC, Theaters, ice cream, etc etc etc..........

Food court upstairs is quite clean & well its a food court so food court like food.

Grapao Muu กะเพรามู tastes the same as any other food court IMHO

Again I am not really a mall shopper but that aside I do not see much difference between them all

except this one is pleasant to be in.

I guess an anchor like Robinsons or Central is good? But if I go to Airport or Central Festival those stores may have browsers but I sure do not

see many buyers usually as prices are higher. Central in Festival is like a giant morgue of a store the 2 times we have been

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

The only thing "right" about it for me is the Ragu restaurant, but that is a pretty big draw. I am hoping that David Duke's new Mexican place will be that good.

I too hope it is good but am not holding my breath because I remember some Mexican specials he did once a week a while back and they were nothing to write home about.

The only thing "right" about it for me is the Ragu restaurant, but that is a pretty big draw. I am hoping that David Duke's new Mexican place will be that good.

I too hope it is good but am not holding my breath because I remember some Mexican specials he did once a week a while back and they were nothing to write home about.

I understand, but IMO, the Italian dishes - other than pizza - at the Duke's were nothing special and they are really good at Ragu. Dave never stops trying to improve..

• Like 1

I understand, but IMO, the Italian dishes - other than pizza - at the Duke's were nothing special and they are really good at Ragu. Dave never stops trying to improve..

I too found his Mexican pretty ordinary-well disappointing really, but I also wasnt impressed with the food at Ragu. But I really enjoyed his massive Spinach Lasagne at Duke's- the flavour not the size. We all have differing tastes and expectations of course.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lets keep it simple ( cue the jokes....!) . The main business purpose of a shopping mall is shopping ? Central Airport and Festival have shops, proper ones, big ones, the ones people use every day, hence, they have customers, lots of them.

Promenada on the other hand doesnt have many of the "proper shops" we need every day, apart from Rimping, and if you need Japanese sized clothes (Uniqlo), so therefore it has no customers.

It has restaurants and coffee shops, lots of them, and it has opticians and pharmacies, lots of them, but it doesnt have proper shops hence no customers!

I just returned from Hong Kong where to an extent they have a similar problem to Promenada, huge malls, lots of them, seemingly on almost every street corner, but exclusively full of the brands 90% of people cant afford, you know, Prada, Gucci, Armani, Rolex, etc etc.....so what I observed in HK was similarly empty malls or malls where people walk around and look but dont buy! Aspirationalism ( if thats what its called!) is the curse of the world and it will only get worse! Met an American guy on the flight back from HK who was travelling from mainland China. There, he said, you have dirt poor Cities, but the malls there also only provide the stuff most of us cant buy? Strange world !!! Rant over !!!

Not a hobbyist shopper so quite unusual for me to comment (unless it concerns food shopping) but I find Uniqlo great for all sizes.

Though not sure what size Japanese people buy their clothes but my GF is maybe a size 0 and myself up to a Thai size XXXXL and we both find great stuff there that fits us. Shorts with enough crotch room for me (there I go boasting again - but you falang guys know what I mean!) and nicely fitting stuff for the girl w/o her having to buy kid sizes as prints of teddy bears aren't appropriate for all occasions.

Buy for my toddler and young boys also there, once stop family shopping for reasonably priced decent clothing.

Disclaimer: I don't own Uniqlo

Claimer: I'd like to own Uniqlo

Claimer #2: I'd like to be able to pronounce Uniqlo

Coincidentally after golf today we were talking about the fact that Uniqlo seems to sponsor 7ft golfers, but if you go in the shops here you cant get a large 'western' size shirt. Have they increased there size offerings here in CM? Last year when I asked them about western sized shirts, they said you has to go to Uniqlo in Bangkok. No problem with shorts and trousers.

Central in Festival is like a giant morgue of a store the 2 times we have been

A lot more good looking women than other malls and places like Mrs Fields Cookies and Cold Stone Creamery make the place more interesting IMO.

Yes but I did not mean Central Festival the Mall I meant Central in Festival ...that big department store which I guess is their anchor store? ;)

I think that is their name anyway?

No destination/anchor stores....weird layout....inconvenient walking distances from store to store....no store front shopping....no public transport....hard in and out design for cars....long walks from parking...built like an airport....no easy way to the food court....not a intimate shopping feel....layout makes it look like a ghost town.....have to walk through the elements to get to second block of stores....nothing centralized about it....wife likes it - good for walking.....I like the clean uncrowded movies....when kids visit they like to skate....one thing that might keep Thais away - seems like high number of farangs - most nicely dressed......also like having the Dukes there.....easier quick drive for us out the ring road from canal road HD.... but for ease of shopping experience Airport Plaza is better + we are use to the AP food court near the cinemas.....Festval feels like a noisey ?masaleum? sic

High number of farangs? I've been there twice in the last week. First time I did not see another farang in there during the 2 hours I was there. 2nd time (last night) I saw about 3 other farangs. Yes, agreed most of the farangs who go there tend to dress well.

Must have been the times or days we were there - took the girls for skating sessions (1st time on skates and have the hilarious videos to prove it - 9 minutes of pratt falls) + went for a movie.....maybe the time coincided with a movie showing and they were out when we were around - and in the theater when you where there - or - you scared them....anyone owe you money? blink.png

At one time there were 10+ at Duke's & about 7 I passed by to get there.....then hit some more at the movie area.....just Thai's & us at KFC (wife/kids Thai) but I was the only one in KFC eating a Duke Burger......except the kids wanted my onion rings sad.png

Edited by pgrahmm

They call it a "Boutique Mall" - usually anything that uses that name is a concern with an offering but drastic shortcomings - lacking options/choices/services/selections readily available elsewhere....

I'd say they got that designation right.....

Closest to an Anchor store would have to be Rim Ping - but - there's Rim Pings scattered about and easier to get to - and get groceries from.....

Not much of a "spending pocket/extra money" draw....grocery funds are usually earmarked by someone doing the shopping....perishables would make you leave the mall to get them home in a timely manner.....

Lot's of coffee choices though.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Been to Festival two or three times, only ever spent money in the food court. Most people walking around don't seem to be carrying any bags. The 'British' high street store area seems to be trying to sell low quality British high street store clothes at unrealistic prices.

Been to Maya once, will never go back unless I'm outside and need an ATM or the toilet.

Been to KSK uncountable times, used to do most of my clothes shopping there, now I don't.

Been to Airport countless times, used to go to the cinema there, used to do some clothes shopping there, used to have a coffee at the coffee shops there, now I only go as I know my way around the Robinson's for stuff for the daughter.

Now I go to Promenada. People are saying UNIQLO doesn't cater to westerners, I'm 6ft tall and 100kg, never have trouble finding stuff that fits. There are also several independent retailers selling cheap t-shirts and stuff the wife likes. The cinema there is great. Rimping there has an excellent range of products, though I have to admit doesn't match the range of cheeses at the Central Festival Tops (I think its Tops, downstairs). You can sit and enjoy a bottle of wine or a beer in pleasant surroundings at a few different places in Promenada, something I'd never do in any of the other malls. There's a good range of food on offer, non-generic unlike the Sizzlers and Svensons and McDonalds and KFCs of the other malls.

When I go to Promenada, I spend money.

• Like 1

Central in Festival is like a giant morgue of a store the 2 times we have been

A lot more good looking women than other malls and places like Mrs Fields Cookies and Cold Stone Creamery make the place more interesting IMO.

Yes but I did not mean Central Festival the Mall I meant Central in Festival ...that big department store which I guess is their anchor store? wink.png

I think that is their name anyway?

Went to a movie there today. After the movie I walked down on the fifth floor to central. (That is the name above the entrance way there) It was the first time I had done that on the fifth floor. I was surprised to see the number of vacant stalls there on the way. Yes it seemed empty. As I was walking through it to the escalator I noticed that some of the floor tile were broken and loose. In more than one place. The other floors I was on seemed OK.

On the way to Top's I noticed that there really wasn't that many people there. Being a school holiday I was expecting to see a lot of students. As I looked around I realized that it defiantly had more shoppers than the Promenade. How ever if it was configured like the Promenade it would look like there wasn't many people there.

If food was my reason for going to a Mall I would never go to Central Festival. I would go to Promenade no questions asked. I like the lay out at the Promenade it does not give a crowded feeling to me. It is a more laid back atmosphere for me. Unfortunately the theater is not as good as the one at Festival. It will be interesting to see what it is like in a couple of years.

• Like 1

All seem to agree Duke's is Promenada's anchor store...

Actually I would think Uniglo is the anchor at Promenade if thinking in a traditional sense.

I guess an anchor like Robinsons or Central is good? But if I go to Airport or Central Festival those stores may have browsers but I sure do not

see many buyers usually as prices are higher. Central in Festival is like a giant morgue of a store the 2 times we have been

i also think Rimping is the "anchor store". but Dukes is a close 2nd.

uniqlo? falangs actually shop in there? looks like a bunch of cheap, junk clothes with no style to me. Chinese tourists seem to be their main target audience.

the 2 malls where people actually shop in is KSK and Airport Plaza. you can see people carrying handfuls of bags there. not in the other malls.

we also like Promenada especially the cinema, Dukes, Ragu, and Rimping. we often meet friends there for a drink or two on weekends. the local music is quite pleasant and drinks not too expensive.

the maya offers the least IMO - but the cinema is nice.

The problem is that not enough Thais like it and the reasons for that are unlikely to be found here since this is not a forum for Thai opinion.

No, it's not a forum for Thai opinion, but many posters have Thai wives [and children] who aren't shy about expressing what they think.

Thais don't like it because the food court is way more expensive than everywhere else.

And the food court food really sucks.

Food court food anywhere in Thailand is terrible. Most big city Thais no longer know what good Thai food is anymore.

• Like 1

Thais don't like it because the food court is way more expensive than everywhere else.

Food court food anywhere in Thailand is terrible. Most big city Thais no longer know what good Thai food is anymore.

Food court in Maya is top quality with most selections 40bht. I really like it.

Food price in Airport Plaza, KSK 40bht. But not so good.

Food court in Maya is top quality with most selections 40bht. I really like it.

Food price in Airport Plaza, KSK 40bht. But not so good.

I'm surprised. The Lanna Food Court on the basement level at Central Airport (not the one upstairs by the cinema) is as good as it gets and on par with some better food courts in Bangkok.

• Like 1

I'm surprised. The Lanna Food Court on the basement level at Central Airport (not the one upstairs by the cinema) is as good as it gets and on par with some better food courts in Bangkok.

I was going to mention that & also it is always filled with Thai's

so food must be good.(the one outside Rimping)

Edited by mania

Lots of Bangkok Thais in there eating every day. But I don't think there is a Rimping there - is there? At least not to my knowledge.

There is a Tops there but at a different part of the mall. A mini food court there too (not good).

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

Lots of Bangkok Thais in there eating every day. But I don't think there is a Rimping there - is there? At least not to my knowledge.

There is a Tops there but at a different part of the mall. A mini food court there too (not good).

555 my bad I thought we were still talking about Promenade

Yes I know of the one in Central Airport too & eat there if we are at that mall.

But as an aside that Lanna food place outside Rimping at Prom is always full of Thai's

They do not cook as the food is prepared already & served from a deli line type setup.

Same as many at Central Airport basement

Edited by mania

555 my bad I thought we were still talking about Promenade

Yes I know of the one in Central Airport too & eat there if we are at that mall.

But as an aside that Lanna food place outside Rimping at Prom is always full of Thai's

They do not cook as the food is prepared already & served from a deli line type setup.

Same as many at Central Airport basement

It's Southern food that you would find in Songhkla, Nakhon Sri Thammarat, Pattani, etc., not Lanna food. Owned by a young guy from the South of Thailand. There are a few locations around C.M. all run by different members of his family. Can't recall the name at the moment. Great food if you like spicy Southern food. biggrin.png

Yess.. I do like the Southern Thai food at Promenada, though indeed it's not in the food center but in front of Rim Ping supermarket.