Manchester City

mrbojangles

Uefa's financial fair play chief admits that he has 'some questions' over Etihad Airways' sponsorship of Manchester City.

The Abu Dhabi owned airline have been involved with City since Sheikh Mansour's takeover in 2008, agreeing a shirt sponsorship deal a year later and most recently renaming their ground the Etihad Stadium over the summer.

No financial details over the 10-year naming rights have been disclosed, but the deal is reported to be worth around £400million, which in turn will fund the new Etihad Campus for youth development at the club.

Critics, who include Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger,have accused City's deal as a way to overcome Uefa's new financial fair play regulations, and that the matter should be investigated.

Jean-Luc Dehaene, chairman of Uefa's Club Financial Control Panel, said: "I have some questions, yes.

"But it would be dangerous for our authority if we take judgements without facts.

Loopholes

"If we see clubs that are looking for loopholes we will act.

"It is not enough to say, 'We've got a sponsorship contract and that's okay' if the contract is out of line."

City chief executive Garry Cook, meanwhile, has been speaking highly of the new Etihad Campus project.

The complex will feature a new 80 acre training complex close to the Etihad Stadium, including an academy for 400 players, 16 football pitches, an injury rehabilitation unit and a 7,000 capacity stadium.

Cook said: "The Etihad Campus, which constitutes some 210 acres is unique in its breadth, depth and length of term.

"It involves the tradition, which is shirt sponsorship, the naming rights of the stadium, but what we haven't seen in football is a campus, creating a place to be, to work.

"We've got a great relationship with Etihad. It's a long-term programme and they are equally very excited by it."

UEFA aint fooled??

Oh yes they are....oh no they're not....! biggrin.gif

Swansea were poor, but I thought city played extremely well.........I hope they don't go and spoil it by playing Balotelli.

I have nothing good to say about Aguero - City were my 3-0 banker.......bloody spoiler!

I disagree. I thought Swansea played well, particularly first half. I think they will surprise a few people this year

Same here Jack. I thought in particular, Dyer and Sinclair look dangerous and if you look at how many shots Vorm had to save, he looked pretty good in goal.

Apparently Steven Caulker played very well at center back. None of the goals were his fault. Harry in his wisdom loaned him out because he does'nt play young talent unless he has too. Interesting because we already have an injury crisis at center back! Nice one H......

Its a 9/10 on the stupidity scale.sad.gif

Why is it still called the English Premier League? Probably just a one year issue though!

Good point. What was the history behind letting foreigners :D i.e Cardiff and Swansea in the English league?

Actually i don't think they should be allowed in our league. They have no more right and are no more wanted or required than Celtic or Rangers are in the premier league.

Why is it still called the English Premier League? Probably just a one year issue though!

Good point. What was the history behind letting foreigners :D i.e Cardiff and Swansea in the English league?

Actually i don't think they should be allowed in our league. They have no more right and are no more wanted or required than Celtic or Rangers are in the premier league.

Berwick Rangers I used to enjoy....get there early and take a walk along the beach....nice....and then beat them 5-0....happy memories! biggrin.gif

Berwick Rangers I used to enjoy....get there early and take a walk along the beach....nice....and then beat them 5-0....happy memories! biggrin.gif

And you what smokes, i'm not having a pop of taking the piss either. I'd just rather have a laugh at Wet Spam and singher back in the premier league than let a load of druids from the valleys come over, scare our sheep to death and then get relegated after one season. :D

Aguero looked class. Be interesting to see him over 90 minutes.

Agreed he finally looks the striker they have been after,but lets be honest here,how many strikers have they bought to get to this and how much money spent.I think about 10 at the last count.

But one swallow doesn't make a......;) ;)

:D In around about way.

Still the jury's out on him and every other fuc_kin striker that they have signed,the only good one wants to leave and is being made to sit it out now.

If a true City follower comes on here and says that he looks good again!!! Swansea? lets see 10 games in shall we when it starts getting cold and wet.

Robinho looked good after 1 game as did many many others.

:D In around about way.

Still the jury's out on him and every other fuc_kin striker that they have signed,the only good one wants to leave and is being made to sit it out now.

If a true City follower comes on here and says that he looks good again!!! Swansea? lets see 10 games in shall we when it starts getting cold and wet.

Robinho looked good after 1 game as did many many others.

biggrin.gif Its going to be a long war of attrition this year...I'm enjoying it already! rolleyes.gif

I can live with a (season only) of chippy Welshmen, but would hate to see the more disturbingly sectarian Celtic and Rangers in the Premier League fulltime. Obviously the bigwigs feel the same or it would have been a done deal by now.

Edited by sharecropper

I can live with a (season only) of chippy Welshmen, but would hate to see the more disturbingly sectarian Celtic and Rangers in the Premier League fulltime. Obviously the bigwigs feel the same or it would have been a done deal by now.

Rest assured it baffles and disgusts many of us from north of the border as elsewhere. The bigwigs at the SFA don't want to lose their cash cow either...so the status quo will remain in thinly veiled guise.

Rest assured it baffles and disgusts many of us from north of the border as elsewhere. The bigwigs at the SFA don't want to lose their cash cow either...so the status quo will remain in thinly veiled guise.

Maybe the 'religious' cr@p could be kicked out of the Old Firm (does that term apply to both or just Celtic?) if they came under the financial pressures of the EPL, which seems to be about the best (only) managed football association. In principle I would like to see both in the PL, but surely it would then need to be a British Championship to qualify them and relegate them if necessary. There have been some seasons when I doubt that both would have stayed in an EPL.

Will never happen due to vested interests as you say.

I'm out of whack with most football supporters - I would prefer to see a British national football team too. It's good enough for the Olympics and it should be good enough for all sports. Reminds me of when I was a bit pi$$ed in an Ubon bar and nearly started a fight by suggesting I was British, not English.

Maybe the 'religious' cr@p could be kicked out of the Old Firm (does that term apply to both or just Celtic?) if they came under the financial pressures of the EPL, which seems to be about the best (only) managed football association. In principle I would like to see both in the PL, but surely it would then need to be a British Championship to qualify them and relegate them if necessary. There have been some seasons when I doubt that both would have stayed in an EPL.

Will never happen due to vested interests as you say.

I'm out of whack with most football supporters - I would prefer to see a British national football team too. It's good enough for the Olympics and it should be good enough for all sports. Reminds me of when I was a bit pi$ed in an Ubon bar and nearly started a fight by suggesting I was British, not English.

1. The muppets are a dwindling band on both sides but you'll not be able to eradicate them.

2. If those clubs gained access to the Premiership their budgets would skyrocket allowing them to compete on a level playing field.

3. How many top players would fancy a Scottish winter?

From Manchester Evening News:- http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1456398_manchester-city-boss-roberto-mancini-gets-defensive-over-attacking

Goals win games but Roberto Mancini is adamant that clean sheets win titles.

The City boss has repeatedly demanded more goals from his players in the build-up to the new season. And he got his wish as they stuck four past promoted Swansea on Monday night.

The free-scoring start to the Premier League campaign was just what the Italian wanted.

He reckons his team will need to score somewhere in the region of 75 league goals this season – 15 more than they managed last term –­ if they are to mount a serious title challenge.

But even though Mancini has pledged to set his side up to attack more this season, he is reluctant to give up an excellent defensive record.

And there is a sense that the clean sheet against the Swans gave him just as much satisfaction as the four goals his team scored.

The Blues achieved 18 shut-outs in the Premier League last term more than any other club and let in just 33 goals – the fewest they have ever conceded in a top-flight campaign.

Ask Mancini if he would rather win 4-3 or 1-0, and he will give you the same answer every time.

“For me, if we win 38 games 1-0, that’s okay,” he said. “But this is impossible.

“It’s better when I can stay on the bench and watch a game like the one I saw on Monday night, when we created more chances and scored more goals.

“But it’s important we don’t concede many chances to the opposition. It’s important that your squad have a balance.”

Balance has been a watchword for Mancini all summer and he is not convinced he has yet got it in his squad.

The arrival of Sergio Aguero and the lack of suitors for Carlos Tevez has left the manager with a wealth of attacking options, with Edin Dzeko, Mario Balotelli and David Silva in the mix too.

But whenever he has been asked about where he wants to strengthen in recent weeks, Mancini has always come back with the same answer: central midfield.

“We need to strengthen in the middle,” Mancini said. “We have a problem there because last year we had five midfielders with Patrick Vieira, and we still had a problem.

“This year, we have four midfielders because Patrick has retired, and we have to play in the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup and the Carling Cup.

“We could have a problem this season, but I hope that in the next 10 days we can work harder than now and we can buy or loan. But we need other players.”

As far as Mancini is concerned, having the right balance to his squad is crucial. It is why, although he intends to be positive at Bolton tomorrow and throughout the season, he will not throw off caution altogether.

He said: “David Silva, Tevez, Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli all play together? It’s impossible. Or at least, it’s difficult.

“But maybe it could happen during a game some time. Maybe when we are losing at home or away, we can try to put all of these players on the pitch.

“But it’s difficult, because you need to keep a balance in the team.”

Mancini, though, insists he is playing to win every game despite accusations last season that, in some of the big matches, he was setting out not to lose.

He said: “We always play aggressively. We always want to attack. Last year, we won some games comprehensively.

“Against Liverpool at the start of last season, for example, we scored three goals and created a lot of chances to score, and we played with only one striker.

“The general mentality is that if you play with four strikers, you can attack more. But sometimes, that is not true.

“It’s important to have a balance in the team. If you have two or three strikers, they always need to work for the team. But that is particularly true in the Premier League.

“It’s true that we have more offensive players. It’s important that all of these players can play, and that we can take more risks maybe than last year.

“This year, we need to score more goals if we want to win the Premier League.”

At Bolton I thought City showed signs of just how awesome they could become.

However, I was outraged and disgusted that Mancini could put a player like Balotelli on the bench............he should be at home in an armchair, preferably somewhere in Italy!!

At Bolton I thought City showed signs of just how awesome they could become.

However, I was outraged and disgusted that Mancini could put a player like Balotelli on the bench............he should be at home in an armchair, preferably somewhere in Italy!!

Mario is a top class player . Just the rag media that want to make out he is a bad one. What they have done is jumped on him for anything. 19yrs when he arrived & what a bad boy for parking on yellow lines. (no mention of speeding tickets at another place

Then they said he didn't smile while playing (NO MENTION of the Shrek scowles)

Then the bookings & sending offs . Many of which where pathetic to say the least .

Then once again he hit the headlines for parking on yellows while he nipped in a shop.

Then the worsed of the lot the wink wink that turned Rio into a raving idiot running round wembley like a looter on speed

Then he back healed a ball thinking he had been called offside in a friendly now this was a cardinal sin of the highest order .

He dosen't like Manchester City Centre so what . I know many people in Manchester that don't like it & only go there when they have to. I don't think there are many pro footballers that actually live in Manchester. The only reason Shrek the rugrat (HAIR TRANNY) goe's to Manchester is to pick up old women

You seem to of be taken in by the media . Lets face it Semi final MOM ,final MOM .

Although I don't think "he's all there" I have to agree that the media are being unfair on what will turn out to be an awesome player. I've yet to see a report on him bonking his best friends ex, or paying prostitutes or brawling in night clubs etc, etc. But obviously parking on double yellows is a more serious offence !!

As for yesterday. There were some slick moves going on there and if Bolton hadn't have scored there only chances, it could have been a mauling.

Although I don't think "he's all there" I have to agree that the media are being unfair on what will turn out to be an awesome player. I've yet to see a report on him bonking his best friends ex, or paying prostitutes or brawling in night clubs etc, etc. But obviously parking on double yellows is a more serious offence !!

As for yesterday. There were some slick moves going on there and if Bolton hadn't have scored there only chances, it could have been a mauling.

Agree with the match yesterday. Lucky for Bolton City are not yet up to peak fitness .City are looking the part Now last years signings have gelled into the squad .

Onwards & Upwards

Lol! laugh.gif

Two peas in a pod are you two related?

Balotelli is a prick end of,he will eventually end up like that other prick El Hadj Duffer. Adder your own list is pretty comprehensive and he has not done anything yet! just wait and see what happens with him.

Good result against the yonners tho..... Silva was outstanding.

Lol! laugh.gif

Balotelli is a prick end of,he will eventually end up like that other prick El Hadj Duffer. Adder your own list is pretty comprehensive and he has not done anything yet! just wait and see what happens with him.

Do I detect Jealousy or Lemon sucking in your post . If that is the best you can offer as to why a player is not good then no wonder Carrick is your hero :lol:

Lol! laugh.gif

Do I detect Jealousy or Lemon sucking in your post . If that is the best you can offer as to why a player is not good then no wonder Carrick is your hero :lol:

I have not talked about his quality at all!

The problem is him being a prick goes before him doesn't it....you really cannot argue that fact.

As for Carrick he at least acts like a professional and has played in the premier League for over 10 years winning trophy's also wink.gif i wouldn't go as far as saying he is my hero though biggrin.gif

Lol! laugh.gif

The problem is him being a prick goes before him doesn't it....you really cannot argue that fact.

As for Carrick he at least acts like a professional and has played in the premier League for over 10 years winning trophy's also wink.gif i wouldn't go as far as saying he is my hero though biggrin.gif

Have you seen what Mario has won ?

You post smacks of media brainwashing . Mario came to City aged 19 .The media has done nothing but hound the kid. There is nothing he has done which is not normal behavior for a lad of his age. Now is it normal behavior for a goon to run round Wembley like a loonatic wanting to hit a young lad because he winked twice ?

Was it normal for Rugrat to go out looking for old women or to abuse the watching public ?

Was it normal for BF to go speeding .They say he wanted a shit & thought Owed Tw_tford was the best place to go (on that I Agree) :)

The differance being they are not 19,20,21. are they. You really should be more critical of the media than Mario . Just bullies they are

I'm not allowed to make any w..... but if you (or anyone else) would like to pm me, I'm quite happy to put my........where.......mouth......regarding whether he becomes an awesome player, in what time frame and where? wink.gif

I'm not allowed to make any w..... but if you (or anyone else) would like to pm me, I'm quite happy to put my........where.......mouth......regarding whether he becomes an awesome player, in what time frame and where? wink.gif

Just send a pm no probs. How come your not allowed

Have you seen what Mario has won ?

You post smacks of media brainwashing . Mario came to City aged 19 .The media has done nothing but hound the kid. There is nothing he has done which is not normal behavior for a lad of his age. Now is it normal behavior for a goon to run round Wembley like a loonatic wanting to hit a young lad because he winked twice ?

Was it normal for Rugrat to go out looking for old women or to abuse the watching public ?

Was it normal for BF to go speeding .They say he wanted a shit & thought Owed Tw_tford was the best place to go (on that I Agree) :)

The differance being they are not 19,20,21. are they. You really should be more critical of the media than Mario . Just bullies they are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Daia1fR03w

tongue.giflaugh.gif Could not have put it better myself.