Manchester City

mrbojangles

God loves a tryer Stevie and thats what Moyes is. He's a grafter with grit and determination. Moyes teams don't roll over anyone, they grind.

moyes has done a decent enough job at everton, but tactically he's extremely basic. past couple of seasons it's been a couple of fast, technical lads wide to get in and play off fellaini to whom they lash the ball up to.

previous years his idea of a plan b when they needed to win or draw a match was to throw david weir, duncan ferguson or victor anichebe on up front and lash the ball up to them.

united fans will be in for a bit of a culture shock.

David Moyes is the Cliff Thorburn of the Football world, minus the trophies

He doesn't have mustache? biggrin.png

I'm giving Moyes until christmas, the season after next.

God loves a tryer Stevie and thats what Moyes is. He's a grafter with grit and determination. Moyes teams don't roll over anyone, they grind.

moyes has done a decent enough job at everton, but tactically he's extremely basic. past couple of seasons it's been a couple of fast, technical lads wide to get in and play off fellaini to whom they lash the ball up to.

previous years his idea of a plan b when they needed to win or draw a match was to throw david weir, duncan ferguson or victor anichebe on up front and lash the ball up to them.

united fans will be in for a bit of a culture shock.

Moyes wasn't managing the greatest club in the world, so how can you really compare him with Ferguson?

He now hasn't got the likes of Weir, Ferguson and Anichebe, he's got some of the best players in the world and will probably acquire more world class players.

He's only managed 2 teams since 1998 and who is to say that with the resources he now has, that he won't be a really good manager?

Come to that who is to say Pelagrini won't also be hailed as the greatest City manager one day?

you can compare him with ferguson because they're both football managers and one is replacing the other. and one of them has been at the top for 20-odd years winning trophies while the only cup the other one has had his hands on contained tea.

so given that one of them is a hugely experienced, won dozens of trophies behemoth of the game and the other has done alright at a middling club with middling resources, it's a bit presumptuous to say 'might' and 'probably' and assume that united are going to hit the ground running without so much as a blip.

I think with a mediocre club, being 6th in the EPL and 5 points clear of a once great club, is quite an achievement. I can't see how this is bad management, let's face it no-one would expect Everton with their resources, to finish higher than those in the top 5.

• Like 1

I think with a mediocre club, being 6th in the EPL and 5 points clear of a once great club, is quite an achievement. I can't see how this is bad management, let's face it no-one would expect Everton with their resources, to finish higher than those in the top 5.

that's the point though isn't it, i didn't say it was 'bad management'. just that the step up in expectations between everton and united is absolutely enormous. and that moyes has literally no experience of that, or of winning trophies, or of highly expectant fans, or of massive transfer budgets, or of owners who expect you to win every match and challenge for every trophy to keep the global revenues pouring in and supporting their leveraged buyout debt repayments. david moyes: from gwladys street to wall street in one fell swoop.

We kept telling Jack but he wouldn't have it, perhaps we know more about Man City than him 24.gif

Alfie, you are such a bore!! What are you going on about? What did you keep telling me?coffee1.gif

Being ex plod i would have thought that you would have had a good memory but thats obviously not the case !

Posted
2012-10-04 18:50:10

Dont
fret, we will still win the title and Mancini will still be manager next season

Posted
2012-11-22 10:52:29

I would be amazed if they sacked Mancini.

I still think they will win the League.

Posted
2013-02-04 17:03:20

Well I make that yourself, carmine, Mr Red and uptheos, who are convinced
Mancini will not be there next season.

I am convinced he will be...... so my colours are well and truly nailed to the
wall as far as Mancini is concerned. Lets see who is right in September

Anyway thanks for giving me a reason to look back over your old posts, great reading what your going to do and what your not going to do this season, one little motto for you when speaking " under promise and over deliver" as your motto seems to be the opposite.

Good luck for next season and keep spending the money 113.gif

Edited by alfieconn

We kept telling Jack but he wouldn't have it, perhaps we know more about Man City than him 24.gif

Alfie, you are such a bore!! What are you going on about? What did you keep telling me?coffee1.gif

Being ex plod i would have thought that you would have had a good memory but thats obviously not the case !

>

Posted

2012-10-04 18:50:10

Dont

fret, we will still win the title and Mancini will still be manager next season

Posted

2012-11-22 10:52:29

I would be amazed if they sacked Mancini.

I still think they will win the League.

Posted

2013-02-04 17:03:20

Well I make that yourself, carmine, Mr Red and uptheos, who are convinced

Mancini will not be there next season.

I am convinced he will be...... so my colours are well and truly nailed to the

wall as far as Mancini is concerned. Lets see who is right in September

Anyway thanks for giving me a reason to look back over your old posts, great reading what your going to do and what your not going to do this season, one little motto for you when speaking " under promise and over deliver" as your motto seems to be the opposite.

Good luck for next season and keep spending the money 113.gif

Well done!!

Out of something like 1000 posts, you have found 3 posts where I have stated I believe Mancini will be manager next seasonclap2.gifclap2.gif

'We kept telling Jack, but he wouldnt have it'

Yeh okblink.png

Well done!!

Out of something like 1000 posts, you have found 3 posts where I have stated I believe Mancini will be manager next seasonclap2.gifclap2.gif

'We kept telling Jack, but he wouldnt have it'

Yeh okblink.png

To be fair i could also cut and paste all the other <deleted> you have posted this season but i havn't a got a week to spare !

that's the point though isn't it, i didn't say it was 'bad management'. just that the step up in expectations between everton and united is absolutely enormous. and that moyes has literally no experience of that, or of winning trophies, or of highly expectant fans, or of massive transfer budgets, or of owners who expect you to win every match and challenge for every trophy to keep the global revenues pouring in and supporting their leveraged buyout debt repayments. david moyes: from gwladys street to wall street in one fell swoop.

Well, I know you won't like my example, but it's a fair one. The current choice England manager had a bucket load of experience and he didn't exactly check all the boxes that you mention, so it doesn't necessarily follow that a person with all that experience is going to do well. in fact in Hodgson's case it was an absolute disaster and the job seemed completely beyond him.

Moyes is ready for a step up IMO and may or may not be a success we will find out.

Pelagrini is the same, they might both be successes or big flops, time will tell.

Edited by uptheos

3 of the top 5 change managers at the end of this season. Must be some kind of record. suddenly German football seems stable and dominant. Cue summer soap operas.

Scudamore must go - very poor management of the big picture :-)

Edited by SantiSuk

City fans have allways been in a different world to anyone else clap2.gif "blue mooners" and their their dreams up in smoke again whistling.gif -our "noisy neighbours" once again go back to the drawing board giggle.gif my goodness poor Joe Mercer must be turning in his grave.

Come on in Rafa?

3 of the top 5 change managers at the end of this season. Must be some kind of record. suddenly German football seems stable and dominant. Cue summer soap operas.<br /><br /><br />Scudamore must go - very poor management of the big picture :-)

Perhaps Wenger will join them if he loses tonight. biggrin.png

3 of the top 5 change managers at the end of this season. Must be some kind of record. suddenly German football seems stable and dominant. Cue summer soap operas.<br /><br /><br />Scudamore must go - very poor management of the big picture :-)

Does he have the required holistic approach?

If Wenger calls it a day,which is possible,it could be 5 out of the top 6 changing managers,if you include Everton.

I'd laugh if Mourinho ended up at City after all the hype about him going back to Chelsea but Pellegrini looks the clear favourite.

Latest odds:coffee1.gif

Pellegrini 2/9

Mourinho 7/1

And 3 names from the past to entice the City faithful.....w00t.gif

Cappello 66/1

Redknapp 66/1

McClaren 100/1

I think Moyes will struggle and ultimately fail to meet the expectations that are very different from those of Everton.

I doubt he'll last more than a season. I think he's nothing more than a stop gap anyway.

Decent enough bloke, just not in the big league of managers.

Back to City, dreadful handling, piss poor, totally unprofessional and disrespectful. Pelligrini's seems a very good manager but should have been Klopp.

moyes is going to have to manage fan expectation as much as anything else. if they're not playing well and not rolling teams over in the way that they have done under ferguson - which they almost certainly won't be - then the pressure on moyes will increase. and after ten relatively comfortable, expectation-free years at everton, he's not exactly experienced at handling big club pressure.

Why would this current team + + almost certainly not be playing as well under Moyes as they did Ferguson?

because moyes isn't as good a manager as ferguson. not even remotely or nearly.

unless you're disputing that?

Time will tell on that-and he will get the time otherwise Fergie wouldn,t have brought him in,Moyes IMHO will drive United forward-an inspirational choice thumbsup.gif

Time will tell on that-and he will get the time otherwise Fergie wouldn,t have brought him in,Moyes IMHO will drive United forward-an inspirational choice thumbsup.gif

time is irrelevant here. at this point, moyes is not as good a manager as ferguson ergo united have weakened themselves and will not be as strong next season as they were this. don't know why anyone is even bothering to debate this.

Now i've heard it all....David Moyes described as an inspirational choice. cheesy.gif

Can't wait for the start of next season, all that flowing extravagant Moyes champagne football. Its been a long wait to see the back of Ferguson but i think next season is going to be highly amusing times up at Old Trafford.

I'd like a bet on Moyes leaving by mutual consent season after next and Ferguson returning as caretaker to steady the ship.

One things for sure, none of us are coming to OT for a point or accepting defeat. Everyone will be looking to win. The invincibility is already gone.

Look at me getting all giddy about next augustbiggrin.png And where is Mr Ed???

good read on pellegrini for city fans.

What Manuel Pellegrini would bring to Manchester City

Pellegrini's sides attack methodically rather than frantically. City would be less naive in Europe than under Roberto Mancini

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/13/manuel-pellegrini-manchester-city

Flexibility in formations

Manuel Pellegrini is not a system-based manager who sticks to a rigid formation – he's flexible with his shape, building a side that suits his best attacking talents. At Villarreal he moved between a fluid 4-4-2 and a more dangerous 4-3-1-2 that allowed Juan Román Riquelme to play in his favoured role behind the strikers; at Real Madrid it was either a midfield diamond or a 4-2-3-1; at Málaga his favoured 4-2-3-1 has occasionally given way to more of a 4-4-2.

The task at Manchester City is supposedly to build a side in a 4-3-3 in line with the wishes of the sporting director, Txiki Begiristain. Pellegrini has limited experience with that formation, but his flexibility suggests it would not be a problem from his point of view. Instead, the issue would be with the squad, as Roberto Mancini has built a side based around packing the centre of the pitch – the Italian has always harboured a distrust of wingers, and City's narrowness was obvious in the 1-0 FA Cup final defeat to Wigan on Saturday.

A love of playmakers

The Chilean has constantly put great emphasis on classic playmakers. The Argentinian No10 Andrés D'Alessandro was briefly the hottest property in South American when he thrived under Pellegrini at River Plate, and one of the Chilean's most significant acts at Villarreal was to embrace Riquelme despite his apparent unsuitability for European football, and his lack of impact at Barcelona.

Pellegrini's experience at Real Madrid in 2009-10 was problematic – the £56m signing Kaká was underwhelming and he would probably have preferred the club to keep hold of Wesley Sneijder, who became Europe's most consistently creative midfielder that season. Getting the best from Cristiano Ronaldo became Pellegrini's priority, amongst bitter political squabbles.

His experience at Málaga has been more familiar – Santi Cazorla, who also played under Pellegrini at Villarreal, was his standout performer last season, while Isco has replaced Cazorla superbly. The faith he has placed in Joaquín and Javier Saviola, not playmakers but technical talents previously assumed to be finished at the highest level, shows his love of technical players. David Silva might become an even more pivotal player.

Structured, cautious attacking

Despite his emphasis upon technique, there is also a caution about Pellegrini's sides – they attack intelligently and methodically rather than frantically. Chile's current footballing style might be based around relentless attacking – Claudio Borghi and Jorge Sampaoli have continued Marcelo Bielsa's work – but having spent a decade in Europe, Pellegrini feels more like a Spanish coach than a Chilean coach.

His sides are also capable of defending solidly in two banks of four, and playing in a reactive and defensive manner. There is little doubt Pellegrini would embrace positive football at City, but he prefers controlled dominance rather than constant waves of attack.

European mentality

Mancini looks sure to be dismissed on the back of an FA Cup failure, but his real problem at Manchester City has been his poor European record. Two consecutive first-round exits – even if City were drawn in difficult groups – was an embarrassing record, whereas Pellegrini is the only coach to have taken two Champions League debutants, Villarreal and Málaga, to at least the quarter-final stage.

In Europe, Pellegrini's sides are very patient. The Villarreal side that came so close to the European Cup final in 2006 may have boasted Riquelme, but they scored only eight goals in their 12 Champions League games, instead depending upon a secure defence. This season, Málaga's impressive attacking secured their passage to the knockout stage, but against Porto and Dortmund they played cautiously and attacked sporadically. City will be less naive in Europe than under Mancini.

Project manager

Although Pellegrini's managerial career has been characterised by short stints at clubs, he's not a "quick fix" manager that will thrive with a disparate group of players that need to be knocked into shape – his experience at Real Madrid demonstrated that. "No one ever asked me anything about how to create a team capable of playing the kind of football I wanted to play," he complained at the time.

Pellegrini would not have full control over transfers at City, but he and Begiristain would need to co-operate to purchase players that will be used to their full potential. At both Villarreal and Málaga, Pellegrini helped to shape the style of the club and create a defined identity, something that has felt missing under Mancini – when City have frequently appeared weaker than the sum of their parts.

Michael Cox is editor of the tactics website zonalmarking.net

Edited by StevieH

Now i've heard it all....David Moyes described as an inspirational choice. cheesy.gif

Can't wait for the start of next season, all that flowing extravagant Moyes champagne football. Its been a long wait to see the back of Ferguson but i think next season is going to be highly amusing times up at Old Trafford.

I'd like a bet on Moyes leaving by mutual consent season after next and Ferguson returning as caretaker to steady the ship.

One things for sure, none of us are coming to OT for a point or accepting defeat. Everyone will be looking to win. The invincibility is already gone.

Mr Ed is back from his holidays tomorrow.

mrbojangles is really, really....and I mean REALLY looking forward to that. laugh.png

Does he have the required holistic approach?

He's nailed that touchy feely stuff I hear. rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't be too eager to bet, a month of Sundays springs to mind. biggrin.png

If Wenger calls it a day,which is possible,it could be 5 out of the top 6 changing managers,if you include Everton.

I'd laugh if Mourinho ended up at City after all the hype about him going back to Chelsea but Pellegrini looks the clear favourite.

Latest odds:coffee1.gif

Pellegrini 2/9

Mourinho 7/1

And 3 names from the past to entice the City faithful.....w00t.gif

Cappello 66/1

Redknapp 66/1

McClaren 100/1

With William Hill, Ladbrokes & Coral who I often use as markers, Pelagrini is 1/6, 1/7 & 1/9 - I think it's a done deal.

Surprisingly (not) Rafa is the person who has shortened the most, but I think he might go to Everton, he likes merseyside.

interesting read, more than "stated targets" to it

Anyway, the club have shown their rue colors, at this rate Chavski will ave some real competition.

We gave him 3.5 years which ain't that bad in this day and age. Now just because you have had a guy for 26 years (which indeed is special), I think if I was you I would wait to see how long you give Moyes first. Because they won't give him as long as they gave Fergie.

You can have Martin Ling, he's available after leaving Torquay.

Now i've heard it all....David Moyes described as an inspirational choice. :cheesy:

Look at me getting all giddy about next august:D And where is Mr Ed???

Always next year.........

Look at me getting all giddy about next august:D And where is Mr Ed???

Always next year.........

MrT, Utd are already in decline. It began when Ferguson retired and continued with the appointment of Moyes. Utd are for the taking come next season pal! biggrin.png

Its going to be a very long season for you and woe betide if theres a couple of early slip ups because the new manager could find himself under immense pressure.

Yep, as you say, always next season and i hope we have the pleasure of Utd, opening game at OT.

• Like 1

Very happy with the performance last night. Could easily have been a cricket score. Reading were extremely quick on the break but we contained them defensively and we played some really lovely stuff up their end.

A lot of the City fans singing Mancini songs all the way through the game but it didn't seem to affect the players one iota.

Very happy with the performance last night. Could easily have been a cricket score. Reading were extremely quick on the break but we contained them defensively and we played some really lovely stuff up their end.

A lot of the City fans singing Mancini songs all the way through the game but it didn't seem to affect the players one iota.

I have a feeling Mancini had lost the entire dressing room. Worse still, they had grown to really dislike him. I might be wrong though.

First rule of management Mr Mancini. Don't do your bollockings in public. Do them behind closed doors. For a manager earning 7.5m a year he was at times remarkably amateur

• Like 2