Manchester City

mrbojangles

Barton arrested over Dabo spat

Joey Barton has been arrested as a result of his altercation with Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo, according to reports.

The England midfielder was suspended for the last two games of the season by his former manager Stuart Pearce, after a bust-up that Dabo claims left him looking like the 'Elephant Man'.

Dabo needed hospital treatment as a result of the attack and later spoke to police about the incident.

Barton, who has almost certainly played his last game for City, has been granted bail until 11th July pending inquires.

A police spokesman confirmed: "A 24-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a Section 20 assault following an incident when a 30-year-old man was assaulted at Carrington.

"The 24-year-old has been bailed until July 11 pending further inquiries."

A bit surprised by this. Thought the lad had talent

City let Beasley go

Manchester City have confirmed they will not be signing DaMarcus Beasley.

The American international will be returning to PSV Eindhoven after failing to win a permanent move to Eastlands.

Beasley joined City on a season-long loan last August and City had the option to make the move permanent.

However, the winger has not done enough to seal a stay at City and he will return to Holland.

City have also decided to release Hatem Trabelsi after just one season at the club.

Djamel Abdoun, Ashley Williams, Laurence Matthewson and Nathan D'Laryea have also been informed they will not be staying at the club.

Jewell rules out City move

Paul Jewell has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant manager's job at Manchester City.

Jewell, who quit Wigan on Monday after guiding them to Premiership safety, was reported to be among the contenders for the City post.

However, Jewell insists he has no intention of taking over at Manchester City and is planning to take a break from the game

"I am not going to Manchester City," Jewell told Sky Sports News. "I gave the chairman (Dave Whelan) my word, I looked him in the eye and I have got an open relationship with him.

"I am having a rest from the game and he has been very understanding about that.

"I would not do that to the chairman. I have got too much respect for him and Wigan Athletic to do that.

"If I was going to go somewhere I would be straight with him, but I am not going anywhere."

Jewell also moved to reject talk that health problems were one of the reasons why he decided to quit Wigan.

When asked if the job had affected his health, Jewell said: "Absolutely not. I said to the chairman I want to take a break and spend time doing things I want to do.

"I had lots of calls off my friends saying am I alright. I am fine, I just want a break there is nothing wrong with that.

"I have had six years at Wigan and we have climbed mountains really and everyone deserves credit for that and I just feel the time is right for me to step aside and take time off.

"I think I have done well enough at Wigan to walk way with my head held high.

"I think I have done as much as I can there and I want a break."

Wigley leaves Man City

Manchester City have announced that Steve Wigley has left the club with immediate effect.

The former Southampton manager had been appointed first-team coach to work alongside Stuart Pearce in 2005.

However, just two days after Pearce was dismissed as City boss, Wigley has also parted company with the club.

A Manchester City spokesperson said: "We thank Steve for his service and offer our best wishes for the future."

Wigley continues to work as Pearce's coach for the England Under 21 side.

City have also revealed that another member of Pearce's backroom staff, Ian Woan, has not been offered a new deal.

Wigley leaves Man City

Manchester City have announced that Steve Wigley has left the club with immediate effect.

The former Southampton manager had been appointed first-team coach to work alongside Stuart Pearce in 2005.

However, just two days after Pearce was dismissed as City boss, Wigley has also parted company with the club.

A Manchester City spokesperson said: "We thank Steve for his service and offer our best wishes for the future."

Wigley continues to work as Pearce's coach for the England Under 21 side.

City have also revealed that another member of Pearce's backroom staff, Ian Woan, has not been offered a new deal.

wigley,woan & pearce old forest boys?

Edited by highchol

Ranieri in dark over City link

Parma manager Claudio Ranieri knows nothing of Manchester City's reported interest in his services.

The former Chelsea tactician has been linked with a move to Eastlands in the wake of Stuart Pearce's sacking this week.

However, Ranieri has heard nothing official from City and is currently focusing on current club Parma.

"Nobody has contacted me from Manchester City - I don't know anything at the moment," he told the BBC.

"I love the mentality and atmosphere of English football and want to work there again one day.

"There are a lot of champions, a lot of good teams and the fans are fantastic.

"I enjoyed my time at Chelsea a lot. But my mind is 100 per cent on Parma right now."

Dunne tops City's stats for the season 17/05/2007 16:45

As we reflect on the end of the league campaign, the Actim Index – the Official Player Ratings of the Barclays Premiership – reveals that Richard Dunne is City’s Actim Player of the Season 2006/2007.

Dunne, who finished 46th in the final Index, is our highest ranked player this season with 414 points. He has contributed one goal, 19 shots, 95 tackles, 85 clearances, 66 interceptions, 31 blocks, 10 dribbles, 215 passes and eight crosses in 3,644 minutes of league football.

Other City players who have also ranked highly in the Actim Index during the 2006/07 season are Sylvain Distin (57th), Joey Barton (61st) Darius Vassell (127th) and Micah Richards (163rd).

The Actim Index is calculated using a unique mathematical formula that rates each player’s contribution be it goals, shots, passes, dribbles, tackles, crosses, saves, clearances, blocks, interceptions, time on the pitch or number of points gained by the team with marks deducted for red and yellow cards. Two additional calculations, which take account of player assists and goalkeeper’s clean sheets, have been added this season to increase the amount of variables a player is now measured by.

Analysis of all Premiership games has taken place throughout the league campaign and the top five Manchester City players in the Actim Index this season are:

Player - Ranking - Final position ranking - Index - score

Richard Dunne - 46 - 13th highest ranked - defender - 414

Sylvain Distin - 57 - 17th highest ranked - defender - 401

Joey Barton - 61 - 18th highest ranked - midfielder - 396

Darius Vassell - 127 - 34th highest ranked - striker - 295

Micah Richards - 163 - 57th highest ranked - defender - 239

Actim Stats also revealed that after 38 Premiership games this season the following players are our highest achievers in six areas of play: completed passes, completed crosses, dribbles, tackles won, blocks made and most assists.

Category - Name - Position - Total

Top Passer - Joey Barton - Midfielder - 453

Top Crosser - Joey Barton - Midfielder - 101

Top Dribbler - Trevor Sinclair - Midfielder - 30

Top Tackler - Sylvain Distin - Defender - 76

Top Blocker - Richard Dunne - Defender - 30

Most Assists - Darius Vassell - Striker - 4

Dunne tops City's stats for the season 17/05/2007 16:45

As we reflect on the end of the league campaign, the Actim Index – the Official Player Ratings of the Barclays Premiership – reveals that Richard Dunne is City's Actim Player of the Season 2006/2007.

Dunne, who finished 46th in the final Index, is our highest ranked player this season with 414 points. He has contributed one goal, 19 shots, 95 tackles, 85 clearances, 66 interceptions, 31 blocks, 10 dribbles, 215 passes and eight crosses in 3,644 minutes of league football.

Other City players who have also ranked highly in the Actim Index during the 2006/07 season are Sylvain Distin (57th), Joey Barton (61st) Darius Vassell (127th) and Micah Richards (163rd).

The Actim Index is calculated using a unique mathematical formula that rates each player's contribution be it goals, shots, passes, dribbles, tackles, crosses, saves, clearances, blocks, interceptions, time on the pitch or number of points gained by the team with marks deducted for red and yellow cards. Two additional calculations, which take account of player assists and goalkeeper's clean sheets, have been added this season to increase the amount of variables a player is now measured by.

Analysis of all Premiership games has taken place throughout the league campaign and the top five Manchester City players in the Actim Index this season are:

Player - Ranking - Final position ranking - Index - score

Richard Dunne - 46 - 13th highest ranked - defender - 414

Sylvain Distin - 57 - 17th highest ranked - defender - 401

Joey Barton - 61 - 18th highest ranked - midfielder - 396

Darius Vassell - 127 - 34th highest ranked - striker - 295

Micah Richards - 163 - 57th highest ranked - defender - 239

Actim Stats also revealed that after 38 Premiership games this season the following players are our highest achievers in six areas of play: completed passes, completed crosses, dribbles, tackles won, blocks made and most assists.

Category - Name - Position - Total

Top Passer - Joey Barton - Midfielder - 453

Top Crosser - Joey Barton - Midfielder - 101

Top Dribbler - Trevor Sinclair - Midfielder - 30

Top Tackler - Sylvain Distin - Defender - 76

Top Blocker - Richard Dunne - Defender - 30

Most Assists - Darius Vassell - Striker - 4

great stats Mr.b , any chance you could give us the link or post the results for the prem season , I would love to see the Liverpool players results.

Cheers mate. :o .

Schmeichel waits on City

Kasper Schmeichel is waiting for the uncertainty at Manchester City to end as he seeks a return to Falkirk.

The Danish goalkeeper impressed during 17 games on loan at Falkirk during the second half of the Scottish season.

Schmeichel is hoping to return to The Bairns next season, with Andreas Isaksson and Nicky Weaver the first-choice keepers at The City of Manchester Stadium.

But with City without a manager, and also subject to a takeover bid, Schmeichel accepts he is having to wait before finalising his own plans for next season.

"I don't know what's going to happen as Manchester City don't have a manager at the moment," Schmeichel told the Daily Record.

"It all depends on what happens there before anything is decided.

"I've really enjoyed my time here, but it's not in my hands.

"I'd like to come back, but I'm contracted to Manchester City and they are my main priority.

"John Hughes has told me he would like to keep me, but there is nothing he can do until we know the situation."

I'm not too happy about this but good luck to the lad for the future

Distin confirms City exit

Sylvain Distin has confirmed his departure from Manchester City and is being tipped to secure a move to Portsmouth.

French stopper Distin has allowed his contract at Eastlands to wind down and is set to embark on a fresh challenge.

Portsmouth are believed to be at the front of the queue for his signature and Pompey chief Harry Redknapp added weight to the talk when stating he has 'some exciting players lined up'.

Distin has refused to confirm the identity of his next club, but claims he wants a new experience after five years with City.

"It has been an incredibly tough decision but in the end, I just feel I want a fresh challenge," he said.

"I have had five very enjoyable years at City and I wish the club all the best for the future but I want to play somewhere different.

"It is time for a change and it is time for me to move on."

Strachan rejects Barton link

Celtic boss Gordon Strachan has rejected reports linking him with a move for Manchester City's Joey Barton.

Barton looks set to leave City later this summer after being suspended by the club following his training ground bust-up with team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

City are believed to be ready to listen to offers for the midfield dynamo, who has a release clause of £5.5million in his contract.

Reports on Sunday suggested Strachan was keen to bring the England international to Parkhead for next season.

But speaking after Celtic's 2-1 defeat to Hibernian on Sunday, Strachan said of the rumours: "It's just a lie."

A number of clubs from home and abroad are believed to be chasing Barton with Everton, Newcastle and Middlesbrough all credited with an interest in the player.

Sven rules out City move

Sven-Goran Eriksson has said he is not in the running to take charge at Manchester City.

The Swede has been linked with the vacant manager's role at Eastlands following the sacking of Stuart Pearce.

Eriksson, who has been out of work since quitting England after last summer's World Cup finals, is keen to get back into management.

The 59-year-old has been continually linked with jobs in England, but he appears to have no interest in the City post.

When asked if was a candidate for the Blues job, Eriksson told BBC Inside Sport: "No, I'm interested to have a good football team next season. There are other teams."

He also insisted City had no contacted him about the managerial vacancy, saying: "They haven't phoned so....."

The former England boss admitted he was hopeful of being back in management for next season, but he refused to reveal the identity of any interested clubs.

"I can't tell you that," continued Eriksson.

"Hopefully you will know it soon because if I'm going to take a job for next season it will happen in two or three weeks' time. Otherwise it is too late."

A bit of light heartedness from city's website:-

Richard Dunne Q & A

"MCFC caught up with the City squad just before the end of the season to find out who they thought were the best of the season, and we posed the all-important questions on tastes in music and worst dancer!

We could not start anywhere else but with player of the season and City skipper Richard Dunne".

PLAYER OF THE SEASON – Nick Weaver

YOUNG PLAYER OF THE SEASON – Micah

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER OF THE SEASON – Michael Johnson

BEST MATE AT CITY – I don’t have any!

WORST DRESSER AT CITY – Micah

BEST DRESSER AT CITY – Didi Hamann

WORST MUSIC TASTE AT THE CLUB – Micah

BEST MUSIC TASTE AT THE CLUB – Chappy (kit man Les Chapman)

BIGGEST JOKER AT CITY – Chappy

HARDEST PLAYER AT CITY – Steve Ireland

MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE PLAYER ABOUT CITY – Weaver

LEAST KNOWLEDGEABLE PLAYER ABOUT CITY – Steve Ireland

BEST TRAINER AT CITY - Dicky

WORST DANCER AT CITY – Weaver

What a couple of papers have had to say:-

Mido unhappy at Spurs

Mido, just minutes away from signing for City in January, is unhappy at White Hart Lane while Sven seems to rule out any interest in coming here, and at the same time does not name where he might be off to.

The Times

"Mido says staying at Spurs was a mistake"

Mido's future at Spurs looks uncertain after the Egypt striker said that he is unsettled at the Barclays Premiership club. The 24-year-old made only seven Premiership starts this season and was on the verge of signing for Manchester City at the end of the January transfer window, only to agree to stay at Tottenham and assess his options this summer.

His first season since making his loan from AS Roma a permamnent deal has been hampered by injuries, which have limited his availability, and he has scored only five goals.

"I would be lying if I said that I am happy at Spurs," Mido said. "Any player who doesn't play will not feel happy. I made a big mistake when I signed permanently for Spurs."

.....Meanwhile the Express seems convinced that it knows what will happen with Joey Barton.

Daily Express

"Look who City want to keep"

Joey Barton could yet have a future at Manchester City.

The club have delayed any decision on the midfielder following his bust-up with team-mate Ousmane Dabo until the proposed £150million takeover by Thai billionaire Thaksin Shinawatra is completed and Claudio Ranieri installed as boss. Barton, suspended by the club for the final two weeks of the season, would have been sold if a club had matched the £5.5m 'escape' clause in his contract.

Everton, Newcastle and Middlesbrough are all showing interest.

But City are also aware that any decision on Barton could prejudice any criminal proceedings

Who isn't in the frame for the City job! I find it strange that all of a sudden we're flavour of the month, all due to the possible splash of cash from a wouldbe new owner.

I was just getting over my end of season blues - poor season only brightened by Weaver's return from the dead, Dunney's heroics and the young lads coming through - and dustbin leaves, didn't he play the manaegement along; 5M down the drain there! Should have got rid last close season and got something for him.

Ranson out of City running

Ray Ranson has withdrawn his bid to buy Manchester City.

Former City defender Ranson has held a long-term interest in purchasing the Eastlands outfit and he submitted a bid in April.

However, Ranson's interest has never met a positive response from City's hierarchy despite their desire to find new investment for the club.

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is believed to be the club's preferred choice to take over at City after he signalled his interest in gaining control at Eastlands.

Shinawatra, who was close to a takeover at Liverpool in 2004, is determined to move into English football and his bid is currently being assessed.

Ranson, however, has reserved the right to renew his interest in the future should another party, including Shinawatra make a formal offer.

"Ray Ranson, together with his financial partner, has invested significant time over the last six months in considering the possibility of making an offer... (but) has been unable to reach agreement with the board in progressing discussions," read a statement released to the Stock Exchange.

Claudio targets City 'miracle'

Claudio Ranieri would appear to have ruled out the prospect of staying with Parma by stating he is keen to recreate his "Chelsea miracle" at Manchester City.

The Italian has an offer in front of him to extend his stay at Parma, after guiding the club to safety in Serie A.

He said over the weekend that he would in all probability remain with the Gialloblu, but this now looks unlikely after he confirmed a desire to return to England with City.

The 55-year-old is the favoured choice of Thaksin Shinawatra who is in talks to gain control of City and Ranieri is relishing the prospect of building a strong side at Eastlands.

"The Manchester City challenge reminds me of the experience I had at Chelsea where without spending £1, we built a good team," Ranieri told Gazzetta dello Sport. "It was an achievement that convinced (Roman) Abramovich to buy the club.

"I created the Chelsea miracle from nothing. Then, mountains of money came as well as a selection of top players."

Ranieri admits he is keen on a return to England and feels City can challenge rivals Manchester United.

"Why England again? Because at this time, English football is a fascinating window that hypnotises you," he said.

"Here (in England), there are so many champions, seven or eight teams at the top level just as Italy had some time ago.

"Unfortunately for us, Italian football, we are poorer, despite Milan's extraordinary victory in the Champions League.

"To return to England means to be at the centre of something important.

"The idea is to face Manchester United as soon as possible and be at the same level as them in the standings."

WINGER CONFIRMS ENGLISH INTENT

Ghana international Riga Mustapha has admitted he would like to move to the England after a number of Premiership clubs showed an interest in him.

Mustapha, 25, has impressed hugely for Levante since moving to Spain in 2005.

The winger began his career in Holland before his switch to La Liga and his displays for Levante have seen him attract a great deal of interest from abroad - particularly England.

Manchester City, Wigan, West Ham, Portsmouth and Middlesbrough were all believed to have been in attendance on Sunday at Racing Santander when Riga scored twice in a 3-2 Levante victory.

"It is certain for a month now that have been several clubs looking at me and that want to sign me," Mustapha told AS.

"But have not been saying anything because the first thing was to save Levante. Now I can say yes, the interest exists and I know that they are going to make an offer soon.

"I just want the best thing for everyone, and I cannot deny that I would like to play in England.

"One of my dreams as a footballer was to be in the Premier, I could have gone before I joined Levante but I thought it was best to come to Spain.

"Now after two years here, I have fulfilled the objectives that I gave myself and now I would like to play in England."

Mustapha has two-years left on his contract, but he hopes Levante will not stand in his way.

"I came for free to Levante and I believe I have proved myself as they expected," he continued.

"Now the offers have arrived and they will duplicate my pay and I just believe this is the best things, especially for a player who cost nothing."

Hart and Onuoha in England Under 21 squad

Former Manchester City Manager Stuart Pearce has named Joe Hart and Nedum Onuoha in his 23-man squad for the European Championships, which take place in Holland from June 10.

Having previously selected a 30-strong preliminary squad, Pearce decided to take the young Blues who he knows so well from managing them all season long. Unfortunately, midfielder Michael Johnson missed out on the Championship squad, but it is credit to him for his end of season form that the 19-year-old was in contention in the first place.

The full squad for the competition is as follows:

Goalkeepers

Ben Alnwick (Tottenham Hotspur)

Scott Carson (Liverpool)

Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders

Leighton Baines (Wigan Athletic)

Gary Cahill (Aston Villa)

Anton Ferdinand (West Ham United)

Justin Hoyte (Arsenal)

Nedum Onuoha (Manchester City)

Liam Rosenior (Fulham)

Steven Taylor (Newcastle United)

Peter Whittingham (Cardiff City)

Midfielders

David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers)

Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur)

James Milner (Newcastle United)

Mark Noble (West Ham United)

Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham United)

Kieran Richardson (Manchester United)

Wayne Routledge (Tottenham Hotspur)

Forwards

Matt Derbyshire (Blackburn Rovers)

Leroy Lita (Reading)

David Nugent (Preston North End)

James Vaughan (Everton)

Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

The tinker man is heading your way!

Ranieri departs Parma

Parma have confirmed that Claudio Ranieri has left his position as coach of the club.

Speculation is rife that Ranieri will take over at Manchester City if Thaksin Shinawatra completes a takeover of the club.

The former Chelsea chief has not hidden his desire to return to management in England and he has now moved a step closer to taking over at Eastlands.

Ranieri has had his request to quit as coach of Parma accepted, ending a short spell in charge at the Stadio Ennio Tardini.

"Parma FC announce that Claudio Ranieri today informed the club of his intention to leave his role as coach of the first-team," read an official statement on Parma's website.

"The club would like to thank Claudio Ranieri for the precious work carried out which resulted in keeping Parma in Serie A.

"We wish him success for the future."

i've just read that Juventus will hijack Ranieri's move to city and make him their manager because Lippi has turned them down :

Juventus hope to hijack Manchester City's move for Claudio Ranieri after top target Marcello Lippi turned down the chance to become boss. (Mirror)

Positive story on Manchester Evening News website this morning said the takeover will take place second half of the month but there are rumours now on messageboards that ITV in Thailand is reporting the deal is off and is blaming the club. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Ranieri appointed Juventus coach

Claudio Ranieri has become the new coach of Juventus, dashing Manchester City's hopes of landing the Italian.

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is trying to buy City, wanted Ranieri as manager.

But Juve thwarted him by appointing the 55-year-old to replace Didier Deschamps, who resigned last week.

The Italian giants have given Ranieri a three-year contract and described him as "a man of international experience and vision" in a statement.

It added: "For Juventus, this is an authoritative choice fully in line with the company's objectives and tradition."

Juve were demoted last summer and began the season on minus nine points after being found guilty of match-fixing, but won promotion under Deschamps.

Deschamps, who won the Champions League with Juventus as a player in 1996, took charge of the Turin side last summer following their demotion to Serie B.

Ranieri was in charge of Chelsea between September 2000 and May 2004, before being replaced by Jose Mourinho.

As well as Juventus and Parma, Ranieri has also coached Italian clubs Cagliari, Napoli and Fiorentina.

He also had two spells with Spanish side Valencia as well as coaching Atletico Madrid.

Former Juve coach Marcello Lippi had reportedly been the front-runner to succeed Deschamps, but the Italian World Cup winning-coach opted to remain in retirement.