Manchester City

mrbojangles

Just heard that Dennis Tueart got sacked yesterday morning...................by e-mail :o

OK, i don't really know what he did in his role as Director but to sack anyone in this way is criminal. Nevermind the fact he is a city legend. To55ers :D

Sun to shine on at City

Sun Jihai has rejected reports that he could be on his way out of Manchester City.

Reports had suggested the versatile performer may be forced out Eastlands following the arrival of Sven Goran Eriksson.

However, Sun says he has been assured he has a future at City after talking to club officials.

"I don't know where the English media sourced this from - saying that I would be a target of the club's clean-out," Sun told Chinese sports newspaper Titan.

"I just talked to the club by telephone very recently. They asked me to keep fit, as they are waiting for me to come back to train and compete."

Sun admitted he does not know a lot about new manager Eriksson.

"Somebody told me (Eriksson) would be in favour of me. I don't know where such hearsay comes from and I will not think about," added Sun.

"Also I'm not familiar with Eriksson and his coaching style and squad. I think he knows little about me as well... I'll rely on my own strength to play Premier League."

Meanwhile. Eriksson is believed to be close to naming Hans Backe his assistant manager at City.

Eriksson has turned to Backe after Roland Andersson rejected the chance to link-up with the former England manager at Eastlands.

Backe, who has managed the likes of FC Copenhagen and Panathiniakos, is highly regarded in Sweden and he is expected to be named as Eriksson's right-hand man.

Eriksson an Elmander fan

New Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson has admitted an interest in Johan Elmander.

The Toulouse striker has been heavily linked with a move to City, particularly following the appointment of his fellow Swede as the club's new boss.

Toulouse have set a lofty fee for Elmander, with reports claiming the French side will accept no less than €25million (£17million).

Eriksson has money to spend following Thaksin Shinawatra's takeover, but is not committing himself to a bid for Elmander, despite being a fan of the 26-year-old.

"Elmander is a very good striker," Eriksson told the Manchester Evening News.

"He has had a tremendous development during the last two years and is a proven international.

"He is a very interesting player, but that does not mean he will play for the Blues next season."

Elmander joined Toulouse from Brondby last summer and scored 11 goals in 32 Ligue 1 appearances as the club qualified for the UEFA Champions League.

Just heard that Dennis Tueart got sacked yesterday morning...................by e-mail :o

OK, i don't really know what he did in his role as Director but to sack anyone in this way is criminal. Nevermind the fact he is a city legend. To55ers :D

I agree, not the way to do things. Same as the phone call Pearce received...terrible.

Swedish coach in City link

By Kent Hedlundh - Created on 9 Jul 2007

Hans Backe's current employers are awaiting contact from Manchester City amid reports he will become Sven Goran Eriksson's assistant.

Eriksson had previously sounded out Roland Andersson about becoming his No.2 following his appointment as City's new boss.

Andersson appears to have cooled on following his fellow Swede to the City of Manchester Stadium, leaving Backe as a leading candidate.

Backe is widely regarded as the best Swedish coach, and numbers FC Copenhagen and Panathinaikos among his former clubs.

He has been working for Swedish television channel TV4, with the company unable to contact Backe.

Reports have claimed he is holding talks with City on Monday and TV4 sports director Hans Pekkari is waiting for an update.

"When I read Sportbladet, I tried to get in touch with him," Pekkari told Sportbladet.

"I am assuming that he will get in touch if his situation will affect his employment with us."

Thaksin to face court date

By Peter ORourke - Created on 10 Jul 2007

The former Thailand Prime Minister has agreed an £81.6million deal to buy City even though concerns have been raised about the takeover.

Last month Shinawatra's bank accounts in Thailand were frozen following an investigation into corruption, and the powers-that-be in his homeland are now keen to learn the source of the money he will draw on to complete his takeover of City.

Shinawatra was required by law to declare all his assets during his time as Prime Minister, and none of the declarations disclosed any foreign assets.

Shinawatra has been charged with concealing assets and has also been accused of a number of alleged cases of corruption and abuse of power.

Shinawatra denies the allegations, relating to a land deal transacted while he was in power.

Supreme Court judges have called on the former Thai prime minister to be present at the start of his trial on August 14th to face the charges and if found guilty he could face a prison sentence.

From the BBC:-

Man City to sign Reggina striker

Manchester City have reached a preliminary agreement with Reggina to sign striker Rolando Bianchi for £8.8m, according to the Italian club.

Reggina expect the 24-year-old to complete his move to City on Wednesday.

Bianchi would become new City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson's first signing since he took charge of the club.

He was the fourth top-scorer in Serie A last season with 18 goals as he helped Reggina secure their top-flight status by finishing 14th.

Eriksson has has assumed the helm at City as part of Thaksin Shinawatra's takeover of the club.

He was officially appointed on 6 July but had seen the squad in training prior to his unveiling and appears to have moved swiftly to make improvements.

The Swede also seems to be utilising his contacts in Italy where he was manager at Roma, Sampdoria and Lazio.

More to follow.

From the BBC:-

Man City to sign Reggina striker

Manchester City have reached a preliminary agreement with Reggina to sign striker Rolando Bianchi for £8.8m, according to the Italian club.

Do you think they'd take our italian off our hands, for free!

Unfortunately, NO :o:D

Hargreaves hails Sven

Owen Hargreaves has thanked Sven Goran Eriksson for his support and says he is a 'fantastic manager'.

Hargreaves has completed a £17million switch to Manchester United from Bayern Munich after a year-long pursuit that began following the player's impressive showing for England in the 2006 World Cup.

But many critics had called for Eriksson to drop the midfielder prior to the competition, and Hargreaves is extremely grateful to the newly appointed Manchester City boss for keeping faith.

"Eriksson is a fantastic manager," he told The Sun.

"He had lots of success and I appreciate he supported me along the way when other people, at times, didn't agree.

"He showed faith in me because he believed in me as a player.

"His support was great."

Quotes like these always amaze me. As if he isn't going to back him!!!

Isaksson backs new boss

Manchester City goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson believes new manager Sven Goran Eriksson can lead the side to glory.

The 25-year-old is confident that the Blues can secure a Uefa Cup spot in Eriksson's first year in charge.

"It's not negative for me," Isaksson told Sportbladet.

"Sven is a big name and it's great that we could tempt him to join us. With his experience from big clubs, he knows what matters and what is required.

"I believe he can straighten things up. We need to get a couple of new players and the side to work, we can fight at the top.

"We can take a Uefa Cup spot. It will be tough, but it is possible. It's a tight league

Richards waits on City signings (as if we are aren't !! )

Micah Richards is eagerly awaiting to see which players Sven Goran Eriksson brings to Manchester City.

Eriksson is preparing to make a splash in the transfer market after being appointed as City boss following Thaksin Shinawatra's takeover of the club.

Reggina striker Rolando Bianchi has already been lined up and Richards believes there could be some exciting signings in store.

"I met Sven on the first day back at Carrington," Richards told the club's official magazine.

"He seems like a really nice guy and we're all just looking forward to cracking on and getting a bit of the feel-good factor back in the camp again.

"Hopefully we've got the resources we need in place now and I can't wait to see who Sven brings in.

"He's got the money and he's certainly got the knowledge - it's all about finding the right blend now.

"He's got a great track record in club management and the players all have a great deal of respect for him, so he's got a good base to work from."

Richards is also happy to be back in training after undergoing an operation towards the end of last season.

The England defender added: "I'm glad to be back at work - it's about time! It's been a good summer, but I'm ready to go now.

"I was actually carrying two injuries - my shins and my ankles - but the operation was a success and it was great to get back into pre-season training."

From the BBC

Eriksson to concentrate on youth

Sven-Goran Eriksson will focus on youth as he looks to strengthen his Manchester City squad, says his right-hand man Tord Grip.

Eriksson has been promised a £50m transfer budget by owner Thaksin Shinawatra and Grip has been recruited to help him identify targets.

"We need to look for good young players in particular," Grip told BBC Sport.

"We will also buy some experience of course, but we are looking to build a team for the future."

He added: "We need to work on every area - the back line, midfield and up front.

"And of course we'll be looking at bringing in English players - we know them very well from our time with the national team."

Eriksson was named City boss last week and has installed Grip, who worked as his assistant with Lazio and England, as an adviser.

The duo toured City's Carrington training complex last week and met the club's players and staff.

Grip said he was particularly impressed with City's academy.

"The academy here has done very well," he said.

"There are already six or seven players from the academy who have made it into the first team.

"Sven and I already knew about Micah Richards, Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha and I'm told that Daniel Sturridge is a very good player.

"It's exciting for Manchester City."

Sturridge, 17, has been prolific for City's youth team and made his Premiership debut for the club last season.

And 69-year-old Grip said Eriksson had not arrived at City with any pre-conceived ideas about his players.

Right-back Danny Mills criticised Eriksson when he was England coach, and misfiring strikers Georgios Samaras and Bernardo Corradi were targets of the Eastlands crowd last season.

"We are open for everything," Grip said. "Everyone starts with a clean slate, Sven is not the kind of man to hold a grudge."

The Swedish duo have been away from football since Eriksson stepped down as England manager at the end of the 2006 World Cup.

And Grip said he was relishing the opportunity to work in the game again.

"It's absolutely fantastic to be back working with players - this is a wonderful opportunity," he said.

City secure Slovakian starlet

By Vasek Kadlec skysports 11 Jul 2007

Slovakian midfielder Vladimir Weiss has signed a two-year professional contract with Manchester City.

The 17-year-old has worked his way through City's youth system since 2005 and the new contract now means Weiss is eligible for reserve games next season.

Talking to SITA, Weiss said: "The offer had been there one month already, since the end of last season. Before I departed home, the club had offered it to me.

"We were discussing it properly with my father and he told me then 'You are old enough, so make the decision on your own. I will respect it.'"

Weiss' agent, Juraj Venglos, gave further details of the contract, he said: "The club have offered Weiss a two-year deal which is an upgrade of his youth contract which is still valid."

Weiss' fellow compatriot Filip Mentel also looks set to sign a professional contract, with the goalkeeper's agent expected to meet City officials on Friday.

I hope this one goes through lads :D:o

Liverpool will not sell Peter Crouch for less than £20m. (News of the World)

But that may not put off big-spending Manchester City, whose new manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is keen to land the 6ft 7ins hitman. (Sunday Mirror)

Man City seal Fernandes transfer

Manchester City have signed Switzerland Under-21 captain Gelson Fernandes from FC Sion for an undisclosed fee.

The 20-year-old midfielder is Sven-Goran Eriksson's second signing since taking over as Eastlands boss following Rolando Bianchi.

"He's the best young player in Switzerland," said Eriksson.

"We have signed two young players and I hope the supporters are happy. That is the way we need to go because young players are the future of the club."

Fernandes, who was also thought to be a target for Newcastle and Bolton, will join his new team-mates on City's pre-season tour of Sweden.

Eriksson continued: "Fernandes is the best young talent in Switzerland and I am very happy he is here. I plan to play him in a holding role."

I hope this one goes through lads :D:o

Liverpool will not sell Peter Crouch for less than £20m. (News of the World)

But that may not put off big-spending Manchester City, whose new manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is keen to land the 6ft 7ins hitman. (Sunday Mirror)

I hope not. Not at that price anyways :D

Eriksson's reign starts with win

Sven-Goran Eriksson made a winning start to his Manchester City reign as his team came from behind to beat Doncaster 3-1 in a friendly.

The former England boss was booed onto the pitch by Rovers fans and then saw City go behind to Sean McDaid's 16th-minute strike.

But Bernardo Corradi equalised from close range just after the break.

Micah Richards' run and shot put City ahead before Emile Mpenza knocked in Corradi's cross to make it 3-1.

Eriksson's first game as City boss came 378 days his last game as England boss - the defeat by Portugal on penalties in the 2006 World Cup quarter final.

It was the Swede's first taste of club management since Lazio's home defeat to Napoli in January 2001.

He said: "I had been looking forward to this match for a while and it was good to be back.

"You learn more from a game than you do training and this was no different. It is always nice to win, even in a friendly."

About 1,200 Manchester City supporters made the 120-mile round trip to witness the start of the Eriksson regime.

They were joined in the crowd by £8.8m striker Rolando Bianchi, who will join the squad on their pre-season tour of Sweden along with fellow new boy Gelson Fernandes.

Sven vows to spend wisely

Sven Goran Eriksson has insisted he will only bring 'the right players' to Manchester City.

Thaksin Shinawatra has given the Swede a transfer war chest believed to be around £50million to help turn around the club's fortunes.

Eriksson has already signed Rolando Bianchi from Reggina for £8.8million and Gelson Fernandes from Sion for £3.8million.

Several more new arrivals are expected before the start of the season but Eriksson admits it is not always easy to secure top players.

He is determined not to spend money rashly but is also looking to build for the future and has urged fans to be patient.

"It is not like going to the supermarket and picking a player off the shelf," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"We are making enquiries all the time about players but it is sometimes a slow process with agents, managers and chief executives all involved in the process.

"It depends what kind of players we can get as to how many we bring in, but we will not spend for the sake of it.

"They have to be the right players for Manchester City."

Bianchi, who scored 18 goals in Serie A last season, could make his City debut in the friendly against Orgryte on Wednesday.

Man City sign Brazilian Geovanni

Manchester City have signed Brazilian midfielder Geovanni on a free transfer.

The 27-year-old, who has represented his country four times, joins on a one-year deal from Cruzeiro.

And he brings a wealth of experience having previously played for Barcelona and Benfica, representing both Iberian clubs in the Champions League.

He had been training with Portsmouth, scoring and setting up a goal in the weekend's friendly against Yeovil, but City moved quickly to tie up a deal.

"It's been a dream for me to play in England, and this is a dream as well to come to a club like Manchester City," Geovanni told the club's wesbite.

"It's great to be here after playing in Europe for a few years already, and I can't wait to get started.

"Playing in England has been an ambition of mine, I watched a lot of Premier League games when I was at Benfica and now that I'm here I just want to start playing."

Having started out at Cruzeiro, Geovanni joined Barcelona for £11m in 2001.

However, he failed to set the Nou Camp alight and was sent out on loan to Benfica after 18 months.

That move to Portugal soon became permanent and he helped the club to a first league title in 11 years in 2005.

In total he scored 17 times in 94 appearances for Benfica, including a diving header that sent Manchester United crashing out of the Champions League in December 2005. :o

But 12 months ago Benfica opted not to renew his contract and he was allowed to return to Cruzeiro in a free deal.

A move to Harry Redknapp's Pompey looked to be on the cards, particularly after his display in the 2-0 win against Yeovil.

"He wants to play in England and he wants to stay with Harry at this football club," said his agent Regi Pereira.

"If he likes it and Harry likes him then he will sign. He wants a change and likes England."

But City stole a march on their Premier League rivals as new City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson wrapped up his third signing in a week following the arrivals of Rolando Bianchi and Gelson Fernandes.

Geovanni is not set to join his new team-mates on their tour of Sweden and will link up with them when they return from Scandinavia.

It would seem that Vass is on his way, presumably SGE doesn't rate him. Funny thing is, out of our 4 strikers last season (Corr, Vass, Dicky & Greek), he's the only one i would keep as he has pace to play alone up front, he can play a role out wide and he sweats for the team.

Worrying that the scousers are sniffing around Michael Johnson - i reckon Micah aside, MJ looks like being our best prospect since SWP broke through.

So now we've picked up a forward, midfielder and a holding midfielder which is excellent progress (so long as they're ok). We need a wide right and left, another left back (bet Dustbin's kicking himself now for leaving), a centreback and an experienced goalkeeper to challenge the Swede (criminal that we let Weaver leave, and on a free). That's 9 players minimum. The future's looking brighter.

If you go to the MEN website - story about the Corradi's goal against Donny, there's adecent video clip.

It would seem that Vass is on his way, presumably SGE doesn't rate him.

Let me just check on that. I thought i heard yesterday we knocked it backcos Sven wants to keep him.

Back in a minute. :D

The future's looking brighter.

You know what, i think your'e right :o

Here it is, from skysports 18th July:-

Vassell Bid Rejected

Manchester City have rejected a bid for Darius Vassell from Turkish side Besiktas.

There have been rumours that Sven Goran Eriksson was prepared to let the striker leave as he looks to rebuild the squad ahead of the new season.

However, it now appears the striker, who earned 22 England caps under Eriksson, may have a future at the City of Manchester Stadium.

A statement on the club's website said: "Manchester City can confirm that they have received an offer from Besiktas for Darius Vassell, which has been rejected by the club.

"The player is part of the 22-man squad currently on the pre-season tour of Sweden."

The details of the bid have not been released.

Wednesday 18th July

Ogryte 1-4 Man City :o

Rolando Bianchi scored on his Manchester City debut as Sven Goran Eriksson's men beat Ogryte 4-1 in their latest pre-season friendly.

Youngster Shaleum Logan set up the opener on 18 minutes for Bianchi when he burst into the box and crossed for the Italian to bundle the ball home from close-range.

The home side drew level on 37 minutes with Boyd Mwila firing high into the net past Andreas Isaksson.

Ogryte goalkeeper Dick Last produced a superb double save to deny City a second goal just before the break when first of all he kept out Michael Johnson's effort and then got up to block Logan's goalbound rebound.

City restored their lead on 52 minutes when substitute Bernardo Corradi latched onto a rebound after Logan's shot had come back off the post.

The visitors added a third goal just past the hour mark when substitute Darius Vassell crossed for fellow substitute Georgios Samaras to head home from close-range.

City made it 4-1 three minutes later when Samaras teed up Logan to score with a low shot to complete a good night's work for Eriksson's troops.

From skysports:-

Sven happy with players

Sven Goran Eriksson was happy with his players as they continued their pre-season preparations with a win over Ogryte.

City kicked off their tour of Sweden with a 4-1 win over Ogryte as Rolando Bianchi marked his debut with a goal.

Eriksson was pleased with the performance of Bianchi and fellow new boy Gelson Fernandes, although he reserved special praise for youngster Shaleum Logan after an impressive showing.

"Logan, the young boy did very well as a right midfielder," Eriksson told Sky Sports News.

"It was the first time we saw Bianchi and Fernandes and I think both did very well so that's good.

"I have seen enough [of Logan] for the last ten days he looks very sharp and I have seen him here in Sweden in the practice sessions.

"I like him very much and I think in the future he will be a good player. He can play at right back and left back as well so he is very useful."

Eriksson saw his three strikers Bianchi, Bernardo Corradi and Georgios Samaras all net against Ogryte and he believes they will gain confidence from scoring.

"Yes I know [it is good for confidence] but when the Premier League starts it will be much more difficult than it was today but anyhow scoring goals for any striker gives them confidence.

"I am very happy, very pleased for the boys."

Fernandes: I had options

Gelson Fernandes is looking to make a big impact in the Premier League after revealing he chose Manchester City ahead of Newcastle and Bolton.

Sven Goran Eriksson signed the Swiss Under 21 captain from FC Sion last weekend and gave him his debut in the 4-1 victory over Orgryte on Wednesday.

The defensive midfielder admits he could have gone to another Premier League club but is happy with his choice.

"Newcastle and Bolton were interested in me but I felt City were the best team for me to join," he told the Manchester Evening News.

Eriksson has already had to admit he may have underrated Fernandes, saying: "I really bought Gelson as one for the future that we could develop further, but he showed me in his first training session and against Orgryte that he is maybe more advanced than that."

Fernandes agrees with his new manager's assessment, confidently claiming that he will be ready to take English football by storm in his first season.

He said: "I was surprised when I was told that Sven wanted to sign me but excited too and I want to play as quickly as possible. I have no fears that I am ready for the Premiership.

"I have signed for four years but I don't expect to wait that long to make an impression. I want to be in from the start of the season and that is what I will work towards.

"I watched the Premiership on television back in Switzerland and know what it is all about. For me it is the best league in the world."

Fernandes added: "I feel as though I will not have big problems adjusting to the pace of the game here.

"Problems such as that are usually mental more than physical and I do not have problems."

Saturdays friendly from skysports:-

Manchester City maintained their 100 per cent pre-season record with a 4-0 win against Carlstad in Sweden.

New front-man Rolando Bianchi helped himself to another two goals, after opening his City account against Orgryte earlier in the week.

City's other goals came from Bernado Corradi and Marc Laird.