Manchester City

mrbojangles

Sorry, but :o:D:D

Injured Barton to undergo surgery

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton will undergo surgery on Monday after fracturing a metatarsal. The Magpies say Barton is likely to be sidelined for about six weeks after sustaining the injury in Saturday's 1-1 friendly draw with Carlisle.

A statement on the club website said: "He sustained a partial fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his left foot."

The 24-year-old England international only joined the Magpies in a £5.8m deal from Manchester City in June.

Barton made his debut for the Magpies against Hartlepool on Tuesday and manager Sam Allardyce made the £5.8m summer signing his captain at Carlisle.

Striker Michael Owen was omitted from the Newcastle line-up because of a minor thigh strain.

The 27-year-old England star picked up the injury in training.

Owen scored his first Newcastle goal in more than 19 months and Barton played well as Sam Allardyce's reign as manager began with a 3-1 win at Hartlepool

From the City web-site:-

Bernardo's confidence booster

Bernardo Corradi wants to use a successful week in Sweden as a springboard to the new season with City.

The Italian striker followed up his goal in the pre-season opener at Doncaster with one in each game during the visit to Sweden, and he feels that the arrival of Sven-Goran Eriksson as a manager is helping him put a difficult first year at City behind him.

Bernardo says: "It wasn't a great year for me because I started well but I finished most of the season on the bench, however we now have a great manager in Sven.

“This week has been a confidence boost for everybody, Sweden's been a great experience for the whole squad. Good training, great food, nice people coming to watch us and a good preparation for the season to come."

The 31-year-old played for Lazio after Eriksson had managed at the Olympic Stadium, but he says that his new manager's reputation still counts for a lot at the Rome club.

“A lot of my friends and colleagues at Lazio remember Sven and say great things about him, lots of things have changed at Manchester City since last year. We expect to do a lot better than last season, it's not difficult to do better than last year and that will be my first aim on a personal level."

Just to keep you peeps upto date. These are the latest fixtures for Aug.

Note:- the City Vs Utd game has moved to Sunday.

Sat 11 Aug 15:00 Premier League West Ham United Away

Wed 15 Aug 19:45 Premier League Derby County Home

Sun 19 Aug 13:30 Premier League Manchester United Home

Sat 25 Aug 15:00 Premier League Arsenal Away

From the Sun on line:-

Sven eyes £7m Italian job

SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON is set to raid Serie A again after lining up a £7million offer for Italy Under-21 skipper Giorgio Chiellini.

Man City boss Eriksson has already signed striker Rolando Bianchi from Reggina for £8.8m.

And the Swede is now hoping to seal a deal for Juventus left-back Chiellini and midfielder Manuele Blasi.

Davide Lippi, the players' agent said: "I am planning to meet Juventus on Tuesday to discuss the futures of Giorgio and Manuele.

"Manchester City are interested in both players and I am going to meet Juventus to see if these moves are possible.

"Both players would be happy to play in the Premier League and Manchester City, but it all depends on Juventus.

"They both like English football and the fact Eriksson is there would be a big factor for them to go there.

"However it depends on the price and whether Juventus want to sell them or not."

Chiellini, 22, recently infuriated new Juve boss Claudio Ranieri when he vowed to leave the club if he wasn't a first team regular next season.

That prompted Liverpool to register their interest in the defender.

But Kop boss Rafa Benitez is thought to only want to pay £5m.

However, Eriksson - with the spending power of new City owner Thaksin Shinawatra - is ready to match Juve's asking price of £7m.

The ex-England boss is also eyeing up Juve midfielder Manuele Blasi, 22, and £10m-rated Mexican striker Nery Castillo, 23

Bloody ridiculous, what current Thai player could possibly make it in our first team or any team from the championship up. By all means send them over to train with us, but to be squad players, i think not.

Not long now boys and we're off and running...

Well apparently the Football Association of Thailand announced that 3 players from the Asian Cup squad are going for a trial (at least one month) at Man City but only 2 will be picked.

These players are as follow:

No. 2 Suree Sukha (24 yr)

No. 16 Kiatepravuth Saivaiew (21 yr)

No. 29 Teerasil Dangda (19yr)

Players are due to depart for Manchester at the end of the month and apparently they are very highly rated. So, if theyr'e good enough, they'll get in the side. But this is obviously a political thing as well for Thaksin, so i dunno.

Hiya Bred, welcome back.

I must admit, i can't wait for the season to kick off now. Without any world cups and European, it's been a long closed season. The Mrs has enjoyed it though :o

Yeah same here, the wife and kids have never seen so much of the tv remote before!

Funny isn't it, i reckon if Thaksin had been bullshitting us and not followed through with the purchase of the club, the repercussions of that - everybody being down, some of the better players leaving, no manager, poor last season, etc - i reckon we would have been certs for relegation this season, but now, we are on a high and expecting huge things of City (and Sven Groan Erikson with Trashcan Sinatra's money) - now when was the last time you felt like that, 1972 or so?

From Manchester Evening News:-

Sven fixes sights on Zigic

IF Sven-Goran Eriksson cannot persuade Liverpool to part with Peter Crouch, then he is ready to move for Serbian look-a-like Nikola Zigic.

The 6ft 8ins international performed well in La Liga last season, proving tough and durable and scoring a dozen times for Racing Santander.

And, at a cost of £8m, the lanky striker would cost only half that wanted by Rafa Benitez for England ace Crouch.

Despite a regular flow of goals in this season's warm-up matches against lesser lights, Eriksson is determined to bring in more firepower and wants at least one, and possibly two, more forwards.

The City chief has not yet entirely given up on Boro's £12m man Yakubu, although the signs are that Gareth Southgate is not in the mood to sell.

Claims

Nor has Eriksson dismissed the claims of Nery Castillo, the Mexican international, rated at £10m by his club, for whom the Blues are yet to make a bid.

However, he wants a target man and Zigic fits that bill.

Eriksson is turning increasingly to the foreign market for value and is looking for defensive options to add to Michael Ball, the only senior left-footed defender in the club.

Nedum Onuoha's injury record means that Eriksson is also seeking cover in the middle and a man that fits both bills is another Serbian, Sevilla's Ivica Dragutinovic.

City will also pursue their interest in Juventus left-back Giorgio Chiellini and could sign him before the end of the week.

He could yet come as part of a double package with experienced midfielder Emanuele Blasi though his arrival may depend on either Ousmane Dabo or Didi Hamann leaving.

Finally, the Daily Mirror have reported that City are in talks with Shakhtar Donetsk's Brazilian midfielder Elano over a £7m move

Just in from City's web site:-

City swoop for Petrov 26/07/2007 12:13

Martin Petrov has become Sven-Goran Eriksson's fourth signing after moving to City from Atletico Madrid.

The Bulgarian winger has passed a medical at City's Carrington training ground and moves to the club on a three-year contract for a fee of £4.7million, subject to a work permit.

The 28-year-old started his career with CSKA Sofia and has subsequently impressed at Servette of Switzerland, the Bundesliga's VfL Wolfsburg and most recently at Atletico.

Capped more than 60 times by his country, Petrov is a crucial part of Bulgaria's attempt to qualify for next year's European Championships, which at the moment sees them in second place in Group G.

Petrov's blistering pace and eye for goal is sure to give City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson options on the left flank, a position that has proved difficult to fill for the Blues over the last few seasons.

City Chief Executive Alistair Mackintosh says: "Unsurprisingly given the calibre of the player, there were a significant number of clubs competing for Martin's signature, and I am absolutely delighted that he has come to Manchester City.

"Having Sven-Goran Eriksson as our manager proved to be a major factor in the player's decision to move here."

Petrov will wear the number 15 shirt.

City prove popular following training camp 25/07/2007 16:10

Now back at Carrington, Sven-Goran Eriksson has reflected on last week’s time away in his homeland with his new squad in an exclusive interview with mcfc.co.uk.

Overall the City boss thought the tour to Sweden went very well and told us: “I think Manchester City has got a lot of new football fans over there.

“There were six and seven thousand people at our games. It doesn’t seem a lot if you are talking about the Premier League, but we played in small places and people came from all over to watch.

“I also think the Club got a lot of good press in Sweden, which is a good thing.”

The Blues also impressed during both tour games, putting in very good performances against Örgryte IS and Carlstad United, running in 4-1 and 4-0 victories respectfully.

And despite the opposition not representing the top flight in Swedish football on the pitch, Eriksson could not fault the first class facilities City found in the country, off it.

He said: “It was good in the way that the pitches were very good where we trained and played.

“The weather was good, good for football, it was sunny almost every day and not too warm. There was no rain or wind so it was perfect for football.”

With the tour coming so soon after taking charge of the Blues, the former England head coach used the time away to learn about his squad, admitting: “Of course, you have to do that.”

One player handed a chance with the senior squad was Shaleum Logan and the 19-year-old backed up the Manager’s decision with a pair of impressive showings.

“I’m happy that we took him,” said Sven. “It was a good chance for him and he took that chance.

“For the moment he will train with the senior team and that’s good for him. He did well in both games, especially the first where he was very, very good.”

Congratulations on getting Petrov, that is, for mugging off Sp*rs :D

Yeah spurs fans are not too happy HH. And now theyr'e saying they didn't want him, he's too old, injury prone, yada yada yada :D

Got to be better than Koon Suree Sukfuk, Koon Kiatprawut Inmyass or KoonTeerasil Socheap anyway. :o

Well, no harm in giving them a trial. It's all about shirt selling and Thaksin trying to improve the national side. Which i don't mind.

From skysports:-

Bayern expect Santa Cruz exit

Bayern Munich have confirmed Roque Santa Cruz is set to leave the club.

Blackburn and Manchester City, along with Portuguese champions Porto, are believed to be chasing the Paraguayan striker.

The 25-year-old has fallen down the pecking order in Ottmar Hitzfeld's squad and would probably be fourth-choice striker behind Luca Toni, Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski.

Bayern president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge admitted he expects Santa Cruz to leave Bayern by the end of the week.

"I expect Roque to have left us by the weekend," Rummenigge told Premiere television.

"That is the reason he is not playing. Porto and a couple of English clubs are interested

What do you think about Danny Mills bred? I'm not too sure. My first thought swhere to ship him out too but i think we are still a little weak in depth for that yet?

I wouldn't give up on DM, though i would sell him if the money was right. Don't think he was given a chance last season.

Bloody ridiculous, what current Thai player could possibly make it in our first team or any team from the championship up. By all means send them over to train with us, but to be squad players, i think not.

Not long now boys and we're off and running...

Imagine MC Hammer (Can't Touch This) buying the Bolchoi ballet and packing the stage with brothers from the "hood". :o

From skysports:-

Petrov explains City choice

Martin Petrov has revealed the chance to play regularly prompted him to choose Manchester City ahead of Tottenham Hotspur.

The Bulgarian winger completed a £4.7million move to City on Thursday to become new manager Sven Goran Eriksson's fourth signing.

Petrov was being courted by Spurs and discussed a move to White Hart Lane with compatriot Dimitar Berbatov, who sparkled in his first season in North London.

But, when it came to leaving Atletico Madrid, Petrov insists football issues motivated his decision to join City, rather than financial reasons.

"My choice is not only about money, but football questions too," said Petrov.

"Simply, I need to play and I believe I would get more minutes for City than Tottenham.

"I did speak with Berbatov and he tried to convince me to join Tottenham, but our ways will be different in England. He is a friend, but has accepted my decision.

"Eriksson is ambitious and City is a very attractive challenge for me and I believe we will be successful.

"I am fit after my injury problems, I am strong and I think my style will suit the English game

Big Sam: Dyer will go

Sam Allardyce remains adamant in his view that Kieron Dyer will leave Newcastle, despite the midfielder's bright cameo in Sunday's 2-0 victory over Juventus.

The England international wants to move on from the North East club for personal reasons, in news that has reportedly alerted West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester City.

Dyer's introduction from the substitutes' bench in the second half caught the eye but Allardyce remains steadfast in his assessment of the situation.

"He played very well. But I don't think we can (keep him) for the reasons I gave on Thursday," said Allardyce.

"The only way I can see to resolve this is for Kieron to move closer to his family.

"Nobody has come in with the right money yet. Nobody has offered anything like the money we want.

"If they don't come in (with the right offer) then all I can do is sit down with Kieron and see if there's something else we can do.

"We used him for 45 minutes today because we were short of numbers."

While Dyer's days at St James' Park appear to be numbered, Albert Luque, previously an expensive flop, looks to have been handed a reprieve.

It looked almost certain that the Spanish forward would be shown the exit door, having failed to replicate anything like his best form since moving to the club from Deportivo La Coruna but under Allardyce, thus far, he has put in an impressive pre-season.

"Hopefully, if he can stay fit he could play a part."

Luque scored the game's opening goal from the penalty spot, before being replaced on the half hour mark, but Allardyce has been reassured the injury is not serious.

"The only negative thing today was Albert coming off. But he assures me it's just a tightening (of the muscle)," the former Bolton chief concluded.

I'll bang this in here instead of the news forum, as it's probably of more interest to us city fans.

From the Financial Times:-

Ex-prime minister seeks to do it his way

By Amy Kazminand Sarah Ross

Published: July 30 2007 03:00

For six years Thaksin Shinawatra, the charismatic billionaire telecoms tycoon, ruled Thailand and revelled in the adulation of its rural poor and working classes. In the meantime his family-controlled telecommunications company, Shin Corp, soared in market value.

Today Mr Thaksin is a political exile in London and owner of Manchester City, a football team whose fans find it difficult to pronounce his family name, Shinawatra, and have taken to calling him "Frank", as in Sinatra.

Mr Thaksin describes his fall as like a descent to "hel_l [from] heaven in one day".

It was perhaps Mr Thaksin's break with Thai political traditions - particularly those that suggest politicians' popularity should in no way overshadow other institutions, such as the monarchy - that led to his government's ousting. In a country where those close to the royal palace wield considerable political clout, Mr Thaksin paid little respect to the traditional powerbrokers, his close allies say.

When Bangkok's middle classes were in uproar last year over his family's $1.9bn (€1.4bn, £936m) tax-free sale of Shin Corp, royalist military leaders seized the chance to move against him. The coup last September, many Thais believe, had the tacit endorsement of General Prem Tinsulanonda, a former army commander and prime minister, who is now the top adviser to King Bhumibol Adulayadej.

Yet Mr Thaksin is unrepentant. "I may have been negligent," he told the FT. "I forgot to manage power. I managed the country to gain popularity, so [my] power comes from popularity. That is 100 per cent . . . according to the theory of democracy."

He said the furore over the sale of Shin Corp was just an excuse for the military to act. "Even if we hadn't sold Shin Corp they would have ousted me anyway because of my popularity. They knew if we had another election there would have been another landslide [for his Thai Rak Thai party]."

Ten months after the coup, Mr Thaksin remains a potent force. While the military-installed government plods towards its goal of enshrining a new charter and transferring power to an elected government, the spectre that Mr Thaksin will re-establish a political foothold looms large.

The former leader's every move - including his launch of a Chinese-language book about the coup and a new website countering government allegations against him - is watched closely. Sensitivities have heightened since anti-coup protesters clashed with police outside Gen Prem's house earlier this month. Nine protest leaders, including several former Thai Rak Thai leaders, are now in jail.

With his family's $1.9bn from the sale of Shin Corp frozen as part of what Mr Thaksin calls a "politically motivated" process, the shape of a post-election government is clearly of strong interest to him. Although a post-coup tribunal has dissolved Thai Rak Thai and banned many former leaders from politics for five years, Mr Thaksin says he will provide "ideological support" to a successor party.

Despite his absence, he believes he retains support among Thai voters. "They love me," he says. "They want to do something for me, because I have done a lot for them."

For now, Mr Thaksin says, his focus is on Manchester City, an investment that appealed to him "because it doesn't need much more money from the family".

Meanwhile, Mr Thaksin is suing Thai anti-graft investigators for defamation and wrongful seizure of the money from the Shin Corp sale, a deal for which prosecutors have yet to file actual charges of wrongdoing.

"That is the wealth that the whole family had gone through hardship [for], working for it for over 20 years," Mr Thaksin says. "I own[ed] it before I enter[ed] politics. How can you freeze that asset? If you [accused] me of [being] corrupt, it means I have to take the money from government coffers. But there is nothing there at all."

From the BBC:-

Juve will let Chiellini join City

Juventus coach Claudio Ranieri says he will not stand in Georgio Chiellini's way if the Italy Under-21 captain wants to leave to join Manchester City.

City have been linked with a £7m move for the powerful defender after signing Martin Petrov from Atletico Madrid.

Chiellini, 22, has six full caps and is highly-regarded in Italy.

"He is an important player, but if he does want to leave then we surely won't keep him against his will," said former Chelsea boss Ranieri.

"It will depend on him, Manchester City and Juventus."

Eriksson may face late competition from Liverpool if the Anfield club fail to sign Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze.

City hope to add two more new signings to their recent captures within the next week, with Mexico striker Nery Castillo also understood to be on Eriksson's list.

Chiellini played against England in the inaugural game at the new Wembley last season, and also figured against Stuart Pearce's side in the recent European Under-21 Championship in Holland

From City's web site:-

Charleroi 2 v 0 Manchester City

Saturday 28th July

Stade du Pays de Charleroi

Team: Isaksson, D.Mills, M.Mills (Fernandes h-t), Dunne, Ball, Logan, Johnson (Miller 59), Hamann (Vassell h-t), Ireland, Geovanni (Corradi h-t), Bianchi (Samaras h-t).

Subs: Hart, Dabo, Dickov.

Geovanni started his first match for Manchester City in the friendly against Belgian Jupiler League side Charleroi.

The Brazilian, who has played as an attacking midfielder and as a striker during his career so far, lined up alongside Rolando Bianchi as Sven-Goran Eriksson assessed his options.

Match report

After an uneventful first 20 minutes, City were victims of a bizarre penalty decision. Matthew Mills was adjudged to have pushed Dos Santos Costa in the area and Oulners scored from the spot.

City then had their best spell of the game so far, but were hit by a sucker punch on 35 minutes. Dos Santos Costa outpaced Matthew Mills and squared to Jovian, who side footed it home from close range to double the home side’s lead.

Matt Mills’ day got no better when he picked up a booking on 39 minutes, and two minutes later Rolando Bianchi had City’s only real chance of the first half, but his weak header never threatened to claw a goal back.

A raft of substitutions at half time added a lot more urgency to the Blues, with Georgios Samaras having the best chance of the game so far when his left-footed shot rattled the crossbar on 53 minutes.

City had the best of the remainder of the match, however they could not create enough decent chances. The best was substitute Miller forcing a save from goalkeeper Laquat.

The Blues can now look forward to facing opposition a little nearer to home when they take on Shrewsbury Town at the New Meadow on Wednesday night, kicking off at 7.45pm.