Manchester City

mrbojangles

A nice touch i think. Again from City's web site

Dr Thaksin invites you to be part of One City 29/07/2007 19:07

Dr Thaksin invites you to be part of our ONE CITY at a free concert in Albert Square to be staged after the Valencia game on Saturday August 4th.

Mai Charoenpura, one of Thailand’s most popular entertainers, will be singing live at the event, part of the ONE CITY initiative – MCFC’s commitment to celebrating the cultures and diversity of our city.

Sven-Goran Eriksson, several of the Blues’ first team squad and other special guests will drop in, delicious FREE Thai food will be cooked up on the spot and drinks will also be available.

The evening follows in the footsteps of previous ONE CITY events, which have celebrated and embraced Manchester’s cultures and diversity.The event kicks off at 6.00pm, following the end of the Thomas Cook Trophy match against Valencia, and will finish at approximately 8.30pm.

A quick update of how the transfers "In's and Out's" at City currently stand:-

Ins: Geovanni (Cruzeiro, free), Rolando Bianchi (Reggina, £8.8m), Gelson Fernandes (FC Sion, undisclosed).

Outs: Sylvain Distin (Portsmouth, free), Trevor Sinclair (released), Stephen Jordan (Burnley, free), Hatem Trabelsi (released), Joey Barton (Newcastle, £5.8m), Nicky Weaver (Charlton, free).

A nice touch i think. Again from City's web site

Dr Thaksin invites you to be part of One City 29/07/2007 19:07

Dr Thaksin invites you to be part of our ONE CITY at a free concert in Albert Square to be staged after the Valencia game on Saturday August 4th.

Sven-Goran Eriksson, several of the Blues' first team squad and other special guests will drop in, delicious FREE Thai food will be cooked up on the spot and drinks will also be available.

Beer chang by any chance ???? :o:D , dont be fooled city fans , next he'll be giving you free health care and a free taxi plus a couple hundred baht :D:bah: ( as long as you make the right vote :D:D ).

next he'll be giving you free health care and a free taxi plus a couple hundred baht :D:D ( as long as you make the right vote :ph34r::ph34r: ).

Nothing wrong with that. Isn't that how ALL political parties win votes? ;):D

Edited by mrbojangles

From skysports:-

City face fight for Zigic

Racing Santander have confirmed Werder Bremen are rivalling Manchester City for Nikola Zigic.

The Serbian striker has emerged as a target for new City boss Sven Goran Eriksson, with the Premier League club leading the chase.

Fenerbahce have been linked with the imposing hit-man and now Werder have joined the hunt for Zigic.

Though England remains the player's preferred destination, Racing president Francisco Pernia acknowledged interest from Werder.

"In the next few days we will be able to know more about his future," Pernia told El Diario Montanes.

When asked if talks were pointing towards a move to City, Pernia replied: "Yes, but there is also a German club interested in him and we are in negotiations.

"In these situations it is necessary to have nerves of steel."

Pernia also refuted suggestions there have been problems with the deal, simply outlining Racing's desire to secure a fair price.

He added: "There is no complication. Racing requests a price for the assets it has.

"Negotiations to buy players like this are hard because the people who want to buy, want to do so cheaply as well

Bianchi bids for Italy call

Rolando Bianchi is hoping he can find the kind of form at Manchester City that will allow him to pull on the blue shirt of Italy.

City manager Sven Goran Eriksson brought Bianchi to the club earlier this summer and the striker is now hoping he will be able to catch the eye of Italy's national coach Roberto Donadoni.

Bianchi scored 18 goals for Reggina in Serie A last season, but he has yet to receive a call-up to the world champions' national setup.

However, Bianchi is optimistic his move to England will help him to earn Italian recognition.

"I really want to wear that (Italy) shirt and I will try to do well to earn Donadoni's faith," Bianchi told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I want to gain lots of satisfaction here before returning to conquer Italy."

Bianchi, though, does admit he struggled to settle when he first arrived in England.

"I struggled the first few days with breakfast. Instead of a croissant and cappuccino, I was faced with eggs," he added.

"Things are better now and Eriksson is imposing a dietary regime which is very Italian."

Now he is settled, Bianchi is looking forward to the start of the Premier League season and the 24-year-old says that games against the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool were major factors in his move to City.

"It is because of dreaming of games like those that I became a footballer. At City, they want to do big things and start making inroads on United," Bianchi concluded

http://www.purelymancity.com/index.php/07/...ngs-since-1949/

I’ve just finished compiling a list of City’s transfers since 1890 for the upcoming Purelymancity book and thought it would be interesting to work out how many foreign signings we’ve made.

In all I’ve found 68, with French players topping the list with ten. The tables also show how the German influence has waned over the years. By January 1996, six out of the total 14 foreign signings had been Germans, though we’ve only signed two more since.

The tables also show how July has been a month of notable firsts for our club. As well as getting our first foreign owner and manager, Geovanni is our first Brazilian signing ever and Petrov our first Bulgarian.

Below are the foreign players City have signed since 1949. There could well be a few I’ve missed, so please contact me if you think anyone needs to be added to the list:

Go to the webpage to read the list...

From the BBC:-

A fit and proper Premiership?

Lawyer defends Thaksin record

A leading human rights group has written to the Premier League to challenge Thaksin Shinawatra's recent purchase of Manchester City.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) claims Thaksin is "a human rights abuser of the worst kind" and should not have passed the league's 'fit and proper person' test.

Thaksin - Thai prime minister from 2001 to 2006 - denies the allegations.

"Under any definition, I don't see how Thaksin can be fit and proper," HRW's Brad Adams told BBC Sport.

"I've written a letter to the Premier League asking what this test means."

Thaksin's lawyer, Noppadol Pattama, told BBC Sport that the allegations were completely unfounded.

"The civil and human rights charges against him have never been proven," said Noppadol.

"My client deserves to be treated as an innocent man, until proven guilty.

"So far there hasn't been any solid evidence against him."

Amnesty International shares many of HRW's concerns and their spokesperson told BBC Sport: "Thaksin did preside over some very serious human rights violations.

"If the Premier League wants to take any of that into account when making their decisions, we're happy to make our documents available to them."

The allegations against Thaksin are that, during his time as Thai Prime Minister, he:

Presided over extrajudicial killings during the notorious "war on drugs". HRW says 2,500 people were killed during one three-month period at the start of 2003.

Told the Thai military to employ any means to suppress an insurgency in the south of Thailand.

Suppressed the Thai media.

Thaksin's lawyer, Noppadol, countered: "As far as I am concerned, he (Thaksin) has never instructed any public officer to execute a drug dealer.

"We just tried to solve the drug problem in Thailand by getting tough with criminals. But he has never issued any instructions for shoot-to-kill policies.

"I hope Manchester City fans and British people are fair-minded. They should suspend their judgement before deciding Thaksin is not fit. He is a fit and proper man to run the club."

Prospective owners must pass a "fit and proper person test" before buying a Premier League football club.

Thaksin passed this before completing his buy-out of City last month.

The former Thai Prime Minister faces charges of conflict of interest and dereliction of duty following a land deal conducted by his wife, Pojamarn, in 2003.

If convicted, the Thai government could request his extradition from Britain.

However, this would almost certainly not be granted, because the request would almost certainly be seen as being politically motivated.

Thailand is ruled by a military-installed government that assumed power by overthrowing Thaksin in a coup in 2006.

Yet the situation could change if a democratically-elected government made the request - and elections are scheduled for December this year in Thailand.

Noppadol said he was sure his client would be acquitted if a democratic government assumed power in Thailand.

"We will be able to prove his innocence after the general election when we are sure our client will get a fair trial," he told BBC Sport.

Thaksin's lawyer, Noppadol, countered: "As far as I am concerned, he (Thaksin) has never instructed any public officer to execute a drug dealer.

There is nothing under the sun which the Thai police cannot do. Because drug traders are ruthless to our children, so being ruthless back to them is not a bad thing . . . . It may be necessary to have casualties . . . . If there are deaths among traders, it’s normal.

—Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, in a speech at Ratchapat Suandusit Hall, Bangkok, January 14, 2003

cite

appoligies , lets stick to football here .....................................

Jockstar,

I didn't post it for political reasons. I posted it because this is highly relevant to Man City. If the human right's watch get their way and he fails the "fit and proper person" test, it would have a huge impact on our club.

Jockstar,

I didn't post it for political reasons. I posted it because this is highly relevant to Man City. If the human right's watch get their way and he fails the "fit and proper person" test, it would have a huge impact on our club.

I understand mate. I just dont want some muppets jumping on this just for the sake of slagging Thaksin.

Jockstar,

I understand mate. I just dont want some muppets jumping on this just for the sake of slagging Thaksin.

Khrap khyun khrap :o

Well the Fit and proper test is a joke anyhow. It's used throughout the league, and you only have to look at what happened at Torquay united last year when some fruitloop Chris Roberts took over. The guy had a history of bankruptcy and still was given the opportunity to run a club. Outcome -club nearly bankrupted, relegated to the Conference and he just left town.

Fit and Proper tests - all stems from the irregularities at Exeter City back in 2002/2003 and I still don't beleive that unfit people are being prevented from running clubs as what happened at Torquay suggests.

Whether Thaksin is unfit is open for debate. Morally certainly, but I very much doubt that he will bankrupt the club he's much to savvy for that and he will probably improve Man City greatlt on the results side.

The only real problem is in the future if the Thai govt go after assets, and this purchase is seen as something with tainted money ot Thaksin gets extradited.

In the cold light of day the majority of fans only want to see their club win, so even if Mugabe was to to buy a club and invest millions of pounds plundered money the fans wouldn't compain too much if they thought they had a chance of winning some silverware.

I hope for Man Cities sake that this partnership works. Although I support Man United the Premiership needs clubs like Man City.

Edited by mrtoad

Couldn't agree more MrToad

:D

I hope for Man Cities sake that this partnership works. Although I support Man United the Premiership needs clubs like Man City.

And thanks for that. Not many Reds would agree with you though.

:o:D

They say that, but they miss the Derby games when they don't have them.

Personally, I dislike Leeds and Liverpool far more :D

But in all seriousness the more competative clubs there are in the premiership the better. Think next season's going to be a real good one.

Seeing as it's quite topical at the moment, this is the Premier League's fit and proper person test that Thaksin passed: from the BBC

DISQUALIFYING EVENTS:

A person shall be disqualified from acting as a director and no club shall be permitted to have any person acting as a director of that club if:

Either directly or indirectly he is involved in or has any power to determine or influence the management or administration of another club or Football League club

Either directly or indirectly he holds or acquires any Significant Interest in a club while he either directly or indirectly holds any interest in any class of shares of another club

He becomes prohibited by law from being a director

He is convicted on indictment of an offence set out in the Appendix 12 Schedule of Offences or he is convicted of a like offence by a competent court having jurisdiction outside England and Wales

He makes an Individual Voluntary Arrangement or becomes the subject of an Interim Bankruptcy Restriction Order, a Bankruptcy Restriction Order or a Bankruptcy Order

He is a director of a club which, while he has been a director of it, has suffered two or more unconnected events of insolvency

He has been a director of two or more clubs or clubs each of which, while he has been a director of them, has suffered an Event of Insolvency.

SCHEDULE OF OFFENCES:

Conspiracy to defraud: Criminal Justice Act 1987, section 12

Conspiracy to defraud: Common Law

Corrupt transactions with (public) agents, corruptly accepting consideration: Prevention of Corruption Act 1906, section 1

Insider dealing: Criminal Justice Act 1993, sections 52 and 61

Public servant soliciting or accepting a gift: Public Bodies (Corrupt Practices) Act 1889, section 1

Theft: Theft Act 1968, section 1

Obtaining by deception: Theft Act 1968, section 15

Obtaining a money transfer by deception: Theft Act 1968, section 15A + B

Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception: Theft Act 1968, section 16

False accounting: Theft Act 1968, section 17

False statements by Company Directors: Theft Act 1968, section 19

Suppression of (company) documents: Theft Act 1968, section 20

Retaining a wrongful credit: Theft Act 1968, section 24A

Obtaining services by deception: Theft Act 1978, section 1

Evasion of liability by deception: Theft Act 1978, section 2

Cheating the Public Revenue/Making false statements tending to defraud the public revenue: Common Law

Punishment for fraudulent training: Companies Act 1985, section 458

Penalty for fraudulent evasion of duty etc: Customs & Excise Management Act 1979, section 170

Fraudulent evasion of VAT: Value Added Tax Act 1994 section 72

Person subject to a Banning order (as defined) : Football (Disorder) Act 2000, Schedule 1

Forgery: Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, section 1

Copying a false instrument : Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, section 2

Using a false instrument: Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, section 3

Using a copy of a false instrument: Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, section 4

Cheating the Public Revenue/ Making false statements tending to defraud the public revenue: Common Law

Punishment for fraudulent training: Companies Act 1985, section 458

Penalty for fraudulent evasion of duty etc: Customs & Excise Management Act 1979, section 170

Fraudulent evasion of VAT: Value Added Tax Act 1994, section 72

Person subject to a Banning order (as defined): Football (Disorder) Act 2000, Schedule 1

Forgery: Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, section 1

Copying a false instrument: Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, section 2

Using a false instrument: Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, section 3

Using a copy of a false instrument: Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981, section 4

From the BBC:-

A fit and proper Premiership?

The government will not intervene in the ownership of football clubs despite fresh concerns over Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

A leading human rights group claims Thaksin should not have passed the Premier League's 'fit and proper person' test.

Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe said the test could be improved.

But he told BBC Radio Five Live: "It has to be the football authorities that decide because they set the rules."

Sutcliffe recommended the introduction of a test which would span the entire game

"There are three tests: one for the Football Association, one for the Premier League and one for the Football League," he said.

"What they could do is bring them together, standardise it. The other thing is to look at what else can be done in terms of the transparency of ownership of clubs, looking at what the director's duties can be."

Leading human rights organisations Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International expressed grave concerns about Thaksin in a Five Live investigation, aired on Tuesday.

The former Thai prime minister faces a string of corruption charges in his home country and was described by Human Rights Watch as "a human rights abuser of the worst kind".

However, the Premier League says its rules on ownership "go above and beyond any requirement by company law and are some of the sternest in any UK industry".

City have stood firmly by Thaksin, who completed a £81.6m takeover of the club in July.

"This is just another opportunistic move by a human rights group as there is no new evidence against Mr Shinawatra," said City spokesman Paul Tyrrell said.

"It seems to have been overlooked that Mr Shinawatra was ousted by a coup d'etat, having twice been elected prime minister of Thailand, one of the world's biggest democracies.

"These allegations have only begun to emerge since the military government took power.

"We have total confidence any investigation into him will flounder."

Edited by mrbojangles

Premier League defend Thaksin's City takeover

The Premier League have defended their decision to permit Thaksin Shinawatra take control at Manchester City.

The controversial former Thailand Prime Minister currently has almost £1billion in assets frozen by the military government which ousted him from his homeland last October and is also facing a succession of corruption charges relating to his five years in power.

Currently living in exile in London, Shinawatra has vowed to clear his name but is adamant he will not return to Thailand until free and democratic elections are held at the end of the year.

While the 58-year-old continues to enjoy plenty of support in Thailand, his record as Prime Minister has been questioned by respected human rights campaigners Amnesty International and a BBC Radio Five Live investigation, due to be broadcast on Tuesday evening, has claimed another organisation, Human Rights Watch, have written to the Premier League questioning whether Thaksin is a 'fit and proper person' to own a top-flight club.

The Premier League have confirmed receipt of the letter, which details a number of alleged human rights violations.

But privately, they question the motivation behind the actual charges being laid against Thaksin in Thailand and, in a reply to Human Rights Watch, pointed out that while he remained free under UK law to own a company, it was difficult to see how the organisation could justify barring his buy-out of the Eastlands club.

'It is important to realise that the Premier League takes its responsibilities surrounding the governance of its clubs very seriously,' said a Premier League statement.

'We have very clear rules on the ownership of our clubs, which include the 'Fit and Proper Persons Test (FAPPT)', which go beyond any requirement by UK company law and are, to our knowledge, some of the sternest in place in any UK industry.

'The FAPPT means anyone convicted of a range of offences would not be permitted to become a director, or a shadow director, at a club.

'But what needs to be made clear is that in the first place we accept the primacy of UK and European law. This determines who may, and who may not, legally reside in the UK, own and acquire assets, and engage in commercial and other activities.

'We have responded to Human Rights Watch to assure them of the above facts, and to underline that we will always operate within the law and will take into account any evidence as verified by the appropriate legal process.'

The City hierarchy are even firmer in their conviction that Thaksin is being victimised by a government whose only interest is to pursue a personal vendetta against the only man to win two terms in office through democratic elections.

'What seems to have slipped through the minds of some observers of this situation is that Dr Thaksin was the first, and only, Prime Minister of Thailand to be democratically elected twice,' said a senior City official.

'He was then the victim of a coup-d'etat from a military junta, who are now actively pursuing anything they possibly can against the man.

'We have total confidence that any investigation into him with flounder.'

City fans certainly do not seem to worried by Thaksin's background.

Having seen their new owner install former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson as manager, Blues supporters have noted a multi-million pound investment in a squad which performed so poorly last season.

Four new signings have already been made, with City expecting at least two more ahead of Saturday's high-profile friendly with Valencia.

City close on Real star

Sven set to land Sociedad ace

Manchester City are set to complete the signing of Real Sociedad defender Javi Garrido, skysports.com understands.

The 22-year-old is a left sided defender or midfielder and has come through the youth ranks at Anoeta, but he is now set to quit the club.

Garrido has another year left on his current contract, but City have struck a deal believed to be worth £2million.

The likes of Ajax and Athletic Bilbao had shown an interest, but he now seems set for a move to City - who are ready to hand him a four-year contract.

Real boss Chris Coleman has confirmed that Garrido is set to seal a move to Eastlands.

"He is a good player, but Manchester City has an interest in him and it is the decision of the player to go to England," he confirmed.

"I have explained to him that I do not want to sell him, but the financial situation is what it is.

"We do not want to lose him but it is his decision. Both clubs have an understanding over money.

"In the end the deal for Garrido, whatever the price, will help us in other areas and we have to be clever."

Just in from the bbc:-

Bojinov poised for Man City move

Fiorentina striker Valeri Bojinov is set to seal a reported £6m move to Manchester City.

Bojinov will become City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson's second big-money signing following the arrival of fellow forward Rolando Bianchi for £8.8m.

The Bulgaria international, 21, made his Serie A debut at the age of 15 for Lecce before making a £9m move to Fiorentina in 2005.

Bojinov, who won his first cap at Euro 2004, spent last season at Juventus

Last night's teams (bar the goalkeeper) against Shrewsbury look suspiciously like our first choice (1st half) and second choice (2nd half) team!

City (1st half): Schmeichel, Onuoha, Richards, Dunne, Sun, Geovanni, Johnson, Fernandes, Petrov, Ireland, Bianchi.

City (2nd half): Hart, D.Mills, M.Mills, Ball, Logan, Samaras, Miller (Vassell 78), Hamann, Dabo, Corradi, Dickov.

unused sub: none.

Goals: 0-1 Corradi (82), 0-2 Dickov 90

Hi All :o

Well i can not recall more activity surrounding this club in my 30 years+as a Ccity fan.To say that quiet confidence is excuding from City now is an understatement!!I am so excited about this new season it really is going to be fascinating!!However,im not deluding myself as a lot of my City brothers and Sisters appear to be that we are going to win this and that and qualify for Europe which is patent nonscense.Nno this season is about building a BRAND NEW team and as the old saying goes @Rome was,nt built in a day'.Its going to take at least 2 seasons IMO for us long suffering fans to see sucess but should SGE and Frank remain at the healm i think this is what we are going to at long last get!!!

I think SGE is pure class and i challenge anyone to show me a manager who has achieved what he has at club level in 3 countries.Sure he has got his detractors but that obviously comes from his time as Eenglih manager and without disrespecting England (too much :D 0come on he did as well as he could given the over-rated players he had to work with.I am sure he is the man to lead City forward and am very impressed in the quiet manner he has conducted himself thus far and am pleased with his signings especially Petrov!!Lets hope we can get one more decent striker and we need more cover in defense and defo need to get rid of the two muppets that are Mills!!Also bye bye to Didi methins as well.So as i say exciting times are on the way and bring on the new season,COME ON CITY!!!

Tots, where have you been mate?

I tend to agree about SGE. When he came to England he was very highly rated and like with most England managers it did not quite work out – we did not lose many but we did not win what mattered. Let us also not forget that it’s not that long ago that Chelsea was courting SGE. So he’s definitely no mug, has the records to prove it in three countries, and must be the best manager potentially that we’ve had in more than 20 years. Come on City!

Tots, where have you been mate?

Yeah where you been Tots? You don't seem to have been around much since the close of last season. Same same with JackNDanny.

I tend to agree about SGE.

Seconded :o

I can't wait for him to prove the critics wrong but we might have to wait a while.

So who's Elano then ?

Elano: Four-year deal

Manchester City have announced the signing of Brazilian midfielder Elano, their third signing in a matter of hours.

The 26-year-old has penned a four-year deal at Eastlands after City agreed terms with his previous club Shakhtar Donetsk.

City have confirmed the deal for Elano is worth £8million and takes their spending to nearly £20million in 24 hours following the arrivals of Javi Garrido and Vedran Corluka.

"This morning has proved to be an immensely productive one, the outcome of which is the acquisition of three top quality players for Manchester City Football Club," said City chief executive, Alistair Mackintosh.

"This has been achieved as a result of some tremendous team work and I would like to praise everyone involved for their efforts.

"I would particularly like to thank Dr Thaksin [shinawatra, City owner] without whom today's signings would not have been possible."