Manchester City

mrbojangles

Sabella's a good coach with arguably the best team in the competition. You know i've backed them to win it!!

Plus, i'm not sure that Simeone would want to go into international management so early in his managerial career.

Sabella's a good coach with arguably the best team in the competition. You know i've backed them to win it!!

Plus, i'm not sure that Simeone would want to go into international management so early in his managerial career.

Its Spain's looming vacancy that got me thinking about Simeone. Pure speculation on my part. As for him being interested in the Argentina job, he'd be the logical choice but I seem to remember that he doesn't get along with AFA management. Another feather in his hat.

So how de we give Leyton Orient a level playing field against Spurs?

You can't.

FA and UEFA FFP is an attempt at controlling excess.

But it will never ensure 'a spirit of even competition'.

Nice idea but reality is, not achievable.

Yes you're always going to have a fair point there. All i can say to this is "a more even competition within each particular league."

It makes it all the more impressive seeing what Athletico Madrid and Diego Simeone has achieved in breaking the Real/Barca stranglehold

There has never been a level playing field Carms and there never will. The ones with the most money always bought the best players and paid the biggest salaries. City didn't invent this, it was already being done. And nobody cared about a level playing field when we were skint and dropping down the divisions, so I don't care one little bit about us being in our very fortunate position we now find ourselves in.

What I find really amusing is the moaners who blame City for over inflating and spending gazillions etc, distorting this and that. But if you take away a distorted perception and look at some cold hard facts, we'll see that City aren't even in the top ten of record breaking transfers, if you take into account inflation. Even if you didn't take inflation into account, we don't hold the record transfer fee and we still don't pay the highest salary. Therefore, "not guilty M'Lord, go find someone else to blame".

10. Juan Sebastian Veron

SS Lazio to Manchester United, 2001/02

Fee: £28.1m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £53.2m

9. Shaun Wright-Phillips

Manchester City to Chelsea, 2005/06

Fee: £21m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £55.3m

8. Alan Shearer

Blackburn Rovers to Newcastle United, 1996/97

Fee: £15m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £57.8m

7. Mesut Ozil

Real Madrid to Arsenal, 2013/14

Fee: £44m

6. Fernando Torres

Liverpool to Chelsea, 2010/11

Fee: £50m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £58.7m

5. Didier Drogba

Olympique de Marseille to Chelsea, 2004/05

Fee: £24m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £63.1m

4. Michael Essien

Olympique Lyonnais to Chelsea, 2005/06

Fee: £26m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £68.9m

3. Rio Ferdinand

Leeds United to Manchester United, 2002/03

Fee: £30m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £69.9m

2. Wayne Rooney

Everton to Manchester United, 2004/05

Fee: £27m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £71m

1. Andriy Shevchenko

AC Milan to Chelsea, 2006/07

Fee: £30.8m

Fee adjusted for inflation: £76.8m

Present them with the cold hard facts MrB. But it won't make any difference.

I prefer Bob's strategy of giving them a raspberry.jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

Don't need to give a raspberry to anyone. MrB has already said its not a level playing field and thats all i wanted to hear. Aside of that i am aware of the realities, i'm not so naive that i don't understand the situation. I just think its a shame for the game and detracts from what could be a much better and competitive league.

The situation in La Liga over the years with Real Madrid effectively being bankrolled by the government is a joke. A club that was 700m in debt magically found 86m in cash to buy our monkey. How on earth is that allowed?

What unfair competition?

If it was unfair it wouldn't be allowed (and/or it'd be punished).

Team has more money than others, they can spend more, buy better players. It’s always been the same. So why when a team (Chelsea first and City second) get an owner who is willing to invest its suddenly unfair (for Chelsea or City) to spend more than the other teams. I will guarantee you that every season since football transfers started that one team spent more (stating the bleeding obvious here).

What is unfair is when clubs are not being run as businesses that have to balance their books and be sustainable, but as toy things for which money can be thrown at without any real concern for returns.
  • Like 1

Present them with the cold hard facts MrB. But it won't make any difference.

I prefer Bob's strategy of giving them a raspberry.jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

Don't need to give a raspberry to anyone. MrB has already said its not a level playing field and thats all i wanted to hear. Aside of that i am aware of the realities, i'm not so naive that i don't understand the situation. I just think its a shame for the game and detracts from what could be a much better and competitive league.

The situation in La Liga over the years with Real Madrid effectively being bankrolled by the government is a joke. A club that was 700m in debt magically found 86m in cash to buy our monkey. How on earth is that allowed?

jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gifbiggrin.png

What unfair competition?

Team has more money than others, they can spend more, buy better players. It’s always been the same. So why when a team (Chelsea first and City second) get an owner who is willing to invest its suddenly unfair (for Chelsea or City) to spend more than the other teams. I will guarantee you that every season since football transfers started that one team spent more (stating the bleeding obvious here).

What is unfair is when clubs are not being run as businesses that have to balance their books and be sustainable, but as toy things for which money can be thrown at without any real concern for returns.

Fair point. That's what FFP is all about I thought?

“'a spirit of even competition” – would be nice wouldn’t it. Would have been nice donkey’s years ago when a certain few were winning everything and getting richer and richer and the rest of us were scrapping by every year on hope. Ain’t going to happen though is it.

Mr. BJ’s top ten list (adjusted for inflation) makes very interesting reading, but I just couldn’t see any pattern emerging from it.

10. Manchester United, 2001/02
9. Chelsea, 2005/06
8. Newcastle United, 1996/97
7. Arsenal, 2013/14
6. Chelsea
5. Chelsea, 2004/05
4. Chelsea, 2005/06
3. Manchester United, 2002/03
2. Manchester United, 2004/05
1. Chelsea, 2006/07

But, wait a minute, my eyes have been opened, what a revelation, the richest teams at that time bought the ‘supposed’ best players –Sheik Mansour you bloody copy-cat!

• Like 2

What unfair competition?

The financial power house clubs will make a mockery of FFP. just wait and see!

What unfair competition?

You beat me to it. Exactly. That is what FFP is supposed to be about. Didn't i read recently that sanctions / punishment have been imposed by EUFA on City for supposed failure. Enough. Move on people. If we fail again this season then raise it if you want to as a fresh subject, but move on people.

I don't know, but as much as i or others try on here to discuss City matters - particulalrly with regards the team - certain non-City supporters bring it back time and time again to finances....broken bloody record.

Please, open a thread elesewhere where you/we can discuss City (and Chelsea's) finances if you like, but can you give over on our pages constantly highjacking the City thread away from the points that we City fans would like to discuss.

MrBJ get those red and yellow cards ready and start issuing for failure to comply.

whistling.gif

What unfair competition?

I believe that there are certain people out there, including the Bosman lawyer, who believe that it is FFP that is the mockery, unlawful and open to legal challenge.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

What unfair competition?

I know what you mean carmine.

But here's a thought. Tony Fernandes at QPR will be just as adept as the Russian at demonstrating perceived compliance.

Big difference though. Tony does the football to leverage his AIrAsia business. Roman does the football for fun.

It's always going to be tricky.

I think we're all just better off muddling through and enjoying the football as best we can as simple football fans.

If I was a QPR fan I'd be hoping for a bit of joy.

• Like 1

What do you mean, "will"?

biggrin.png

yep PSG really hit the ground running didn't they!thumbsup.gif

With what? You think a Qatari big wig gives any more of a toss about money than an Emirati one?

f you want to earn big bucks as a sportsman then Europe is the place to be. Playing American football, baseball or basketball in the United States has often been thought of as the way to earn top dollar, but not any more, according to a new survey. So if you are a star in need of a bumper pay rise then hotfoot to Manchester City, which is the best paid team in global sport, according to Sporting Intelligence's Global Sports Salaries Survey for 2014, compiled in association with ESPN The Magazine.

Right.

Here's a thought I had over lunch. smile.png

Huge and increasing global revenues for top clubs means that instead of people like Abramovich having to plough their own money into their hobby, they could end up making a big profit.

A very sustainable business I would have thought if you are right at the top.

First you need to get to the top though.

So Abramovich could well have speculated to accumulate, and at the same time having a bit of fun on the way.

Exactly the same scenario for City, but in their case they have the additional benefit of leveraging their Etihad Airways business on the way.

Tony Fernandes at QPR atm is possibly somewhere in the middle of this spectrum of revenue from football-revenue from allied business.

Same for Vincent Tan.

It's a win win scenario once you get started.

Well, after the suggestions by Mr.BJ and myself that this Man City forum be kept clear to discuss Man City matters (and before anyone comments you know the kind of things I mean), and Chicog or anyone else who wants to come on this Man City forum to discuss FFP should open a FFP forum, I came across a FFP forum set up by…you guessed it, Chicog. Apart from Bangkok Bob making 2 posts there it would seem that Chicog’s FFP forum ran out of steam and no one joined him there since 6 March 2014 – Norman Nofriends eh Chicog. I guess that is why he persists here.

So Chicog and anyone else who wants to keep discussing FFP could you move yourselves over to Chicog’s FFP forum. Thanks. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708859-financial-fair-play/?p=7527978&hl=%2Bfinancial+%2Bfair+%2Bplay

Mr. BJ any chance of you blocking/banning any comments related to FFP, Sheik Mansour, etc – you know Chicog’s usual stand-up comedy routine - so we can discuss City matters? Any chance?

Well, after the suggestions by Mr.BJ and myself that this Man City forum be kept clear to discuss Man City matters (and before anyone comments you know the kind of things I mean), and Chicog or anyone else who wants to come on this Man City forum to discuss FFP should open a FFP forum, I came across a FFP forum set up by…you guessed it, Chicog. Apart from Bangkok Bob making 2 posts there it would seem that Chicog’s FFP forum ran out of steam and no one joined him there since 6 March 2014 – Norman Nofriends eh Chicog. I guess that is why he persists here.

So Chicog and anyone else who wants to keep discussing FFP could you move yourselves over to Chicog’s FFP forum. Thanks. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708859-financial-fair-play/?p=7527978&hl=%2Bfinancial+%2Bfair+%2Bplay

Mr. BJ any chance of you blocking/banning any comments related to FFP, Sheik Mansour, etc – you know Chicog’s usual stand-up comedy routine - so we can discuss City matters? Any chance?

So FFP and the owners of Manchester City are not allowed to be discussed on the Manchester City forum? But surely as Manchester City are the only PL club to have fallen foul of FFP and that being due to the spending of their owners, then surely this is a matter that SHOULD be discussed on a Manchester City forum. Don't forget that the sanctions imposed so far are only from UEFA, the PL FFP will kick in around Christmas time, I think. QPR and Tony Fernandez will then be facing a pound for pound fine on their overspending, maybe up to 60 million quid. City, of course, will be self funding by then 555

• Like 1

So FFP and the owners of Manchester City are not allowed to be discussed on the Manchester City forum? But surely as Manchester City are the only PL club to have fallen foul of FFP and that being due to the spending of their owners, then surely this is a matter that SHOULD be discussed on a Manchester City forum. Don't forget that the sanctions imposed so far are only from UEFA, the PL FFP will kick in around Christmas time, I think. QPR and Tony Fernandez will then be facing a pound for pound fine on their overspending, maybe up to 60 million quid. City, of course, will be self funding by then 555

...and round we go again...

...and round we go again...

O.K. bury your heads (City) in the sand, but remember, FFP is not going away, it may just come around and bite you (City) on the @rse.

wai2.gif

I think it's probably fair to say that the only people wishing to discuss FFP on the City thread are people with an axe to grind.

UEFA have penalised City for what they see as a breach.

City are complying with FFP going forward.

The whole FFP thing is a very grey area anyway.

I stuck my nose in from Chelsea because similar axes frequently get wielded against us.

( Chelsea complying with no penalties btw.)

cheesy.gif

Talk about head in the sand but there is a lot of it in the desert and your Hallucinations are embarrassing,FFP is hitting your club already and will again if you don't play by the rules expect to get fines and bans like you already have.

Breaking the FFP rules is totally a matter up for discussion on this forum as you are the club that didn't abide by the rules...get it facepalm.gif

• Like 1

The facts are:

1. FFP rules imposed by EUFA

2. City consider they complied with the rules.

3. EUFA consider Man City did not comply with the rules and imposed sanctions on City.

4. The club, who said they were on course to break even this financial year, claimed they had complied with the FFP rules but said they reluctantly accepted Uefa's sanctions in order to provide certainty.

There you go…City didn’t conform, punished, come back on this next period if City don’t comply in that period.

Don’t think anybody City-related is burying their hand in the sand or anything like that , however there are City fans on this forum just a little tired of the subject forever returning on these pages to FFP when I think we would prefer to discuss other matters, and before anyone says well why don’t you City fans go one then and discuss your City matters, because (repeat) every time we do somebody comes on – usually Chicog – about FFP once again…

wai2.gif

I think it's probably fair to say that the only people wishing to discuss FFP on the City thread are people with an axe to grind.

I stuck my nose in from Chelsea because similar axes frequently get wielded against us.

"I think it's probably fair to say that the only people wishing to discuss FFP on the City thread are people with an axe to grind."

No axe to grind but it just seems strange that something that DOES affect City and ONLY City, at this time, should not be discussed on the City forum. You say FFP is a 'grey area'? Were not City fined, wage capped and ordered to reduce their squad size for UEFA games? What is a grey area about that?

But no problem, if this is a forum where only good news can be discussed O.K. you can get on with it. Maybe you should get General Prayuth to make a decree that only "happy,happy" talk can be used on this thread.

wai2.gif

"I think it's probably fair to say that the only people wishing to discuss FFP on the City thread are people with an axe to grind."

No axe to grind but it just seems strange that something that DOES affect City and ONLY City, at this time, should not be discussed on the City forum. You say FFP is a 'grey area'? Were not City fined, wage capped and ordered to reduce their squad size for UEFA games? What is a grey area about that?

But no problem, if this is a forum where only good news can be discussed O.K. you can get on with it. Maybe you should get General Prayuth to make a decree that only "happy,happy" talk can be used on this thread.

Who is Your team?

smile.png