Manchester City

mrbojangles

Here you go Chicog, as you never read the whole thing posted but comment anyhow, I've made it easy for you by cutting out the key point of the argument:

"The UEFA rule is, in terms of European competition law, an anticompetitive agreement since it prohibits a club owner to invest his or her own money in strengthening its workforce, the players.It is therefore a restriction of investments, which is deemed to be a major crime in competition law."

Yes, I do understand that it is probably against European competition law, but football is supposed to be about Footballing competition, not Financial competition.

If you want every league won by teams owned by Sheikhs or Oligarchs squandering their nations wealth on football, then it's a great system.

Fortunately only fans of teams who happen to be owned by Sheikhs or Oligarchs squandering their nations wealth seem to think that this is a good idea.

So what do you suggest? Messi going to Bournemouth FC? How much is Arsenals owner worth? Football is about competition and since time began money has been a factor.

What does it matter who owns the club? You have been using you line about the poor masses getting done out of money for ages. Its boring, tedious and quite limited on fact. Are you a Daily Mail reader, because it really sounds like it.

If it wasn't for the millions that Chelsea and City have pumped into the game we would have looked at a decade of United as top dog with no team being able to compete. Unless you are suggesting that United are not allowed to spend the money from massive deals like the Adidas deal? I would love a new team to start treating football like a sport, where all that matters is the silverware, not how much profit they made.

In all seriousness, what do you propose? :-)

• Like 1

^

My Khmer Rovers team will do nothing without a serious injection of wonga.

Mjj speaks the truth.

Chicog perverts the discussion by questioning/ criticising the source of rich owners's money.

Separate issue.

Arsenal won't win the Prem and CL without shelling wonga. Fact.

If you want to discuss the role of professional sport in the context of global macro socio-political economy fine.

Footie and sport is about the best chance we've got of being social.

But we ain't do a very good job on that one either.

Here you go Chicog, as you never read the whole thing posted but comment anyhow, I've made it easy for you by cutting out the key point of the argument:

"The UEFA rule is, in terms of European competition law, an anticompetitive agreement since it prohibits a club owner to invest his or her own money in strengthening its workforce, the players.It is therefore a restriction of investments, which is deemed to be a major crime in competition law."

Yes, I do understand that it is probably against European competition law, but football is supposed to be about Footballing competition, not Financial competition.

If you want every league won by teams owned by Sheikhs or Oligarchs squandering their nations wealth on football, then it's a great system.

Fortunately only fans of teams who happen to be owned by Sheikhs or Oligarchs squandering their nations wealth seem to think that this is a good idea.

I think every football fan would like a level playing field where the only factors that matter are the players and managers but professional football moved away from that kind of football (school football, pub football, etc) a long long time.

Professional football has become more and more about money over the past century or more. It is no coincidence that manu are bigger richer than Bury Rochdale etc. It's no coincidence that manu didn't win Division 1 for decades but after they/the Big 5 had instigated the Premier with the top most viewed teams retaining most tv money that they became dominant.

More and more over recent decades the richer clubs have maintained the status quo of being richer and at the top. If you want to get rid of the teams financial influences on the football field then that would need some kind of 'pick system' and do we want that?

It seems to me that its only the fans of the teams enjoying the status quo who seem to be opposed to the right of an individual (financially checked of course) to buy a club and pump in as much of his finances as he wishes to make the CLUB and team better and more successful - how many fans of Bury York Norwich Everton etc are opposed to a Sheik Mansour type buying their club, not many if any I reckon - and therefore think the current version of FFP is a good idea.

So what do you suggest? Messi going to Bournemouth FC? How much is Arsenals owner worth? Football is about competition and since time began money has been a factor.

What does it matter who owns the club? You have been using you line about the poor masses getting done out of money for ages. Its boring, tedious and quite limited on fact. Are you a Daily Mail reader, because it really sounds like it.

If it wasn't for the millions that Chelsea and City have pumped into the game we would have looked at a decade of United as top dog with no team being able to compete. Unless you are suggesting that United are not allowed to spend the money from massive deals like the Adidas deal? I would love a new team to start treating football like a sport, where all that matters is the silverware, not how much profit they made.

In all seriousness, what do you propose? :-)

I propose enforcing FFP, where a club can only spend within its means based on its income, not on handouts of other peoples (stolen) money.

But then again you already knew that.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Why do you care what clubs spend?

FFP is elitist and the way it is, there will never be another epl winner other than current established sides. What hope is there for the lower teams? And don't give me a long term plan idea that they should slowly work their way up.

Why do you care what clubs spend?

FFP is elitist and the way it is, there will never be another epl winner other than current established sides. What hope is there for the lower teams? And don't give me a long term plan idea that they should slowly work their way up.

I care what money they spend because they have absolutely no consequences, they can just go to their national bank and steal a bit more.

I didn't bring it up again.

It's just that every time a Citeh fan reads an article that's remotely sympathetic, their guilt and angst compels them to post it.

It's the City thread and the article BB posted was related to City, hence he posted it in this thread. And believe me, not one single City fan (at least who I know) does not feel one shred of guilt. If anything, the total opposite and we feel extremely lucky to have had all this money pumped into us after so many years of winning nought. So you can take your jealousy back to your own thread.

• Like 1

It's just that every time a Citeh fan reads an article that's remotely sympathetic, their guilt and angst compels them to post it.

It's the City thread and the article BB posted was related to City, hence he posted it in this thread. And believe me, not one single City fan (at least who I know) does not feel one shred of guilt. If anything, the total opposite and we feel extremely lucky to have had all this money pumped into us after so many years of winning nought. So you can take your jealousy back to your own thread.

Excuse me but the post in question was addressed to me.

The fact that you aren't bothered that the money buying all these galacticos for your team is actually the sovereign wealth of the UAE people being stolen by one family to indulge in their playthings says more about you than it does about them.

I'm not jealous, I'm proud that our board refuse to take money from that thief Usmanov and treat him like the pariah he is.

Edited by Chicog

I don't give two hoots if the initial post was addressed to you or not. When you respond in the City thread saying City fans feel "guilt and angst", we have a right to be able to respond. This is an open forum and if you want to have private conversations, do it by pm. Otherwise, anyone can join in.

The fact that you aren't bothered that the money buying all these galacticos for your team is actually the sovereign wealth of the UAE people being stolen by one family to indulge in their playthings says more about you than it does about them.

Don't get personal Chicog. You don't know me, so don't try and judge me, merely from postings in a football forum.

• Like 2

I don't give two hoots if the initial post was addressed to you or not. When you respond in the City thread saying City fans feel "guilt and angst", we have a right to be able to respond. This is an open forum and if you want to have private conversations, do it by pm. Otherwise, anyone can join in.

Don't get personal Chicog. You don't know me, so don't try and judge me, merely from postings in a football forum.

If the cap fits, wear it mate. Or denounce them.

I posted the article as it is current relevant news about the legal counter to FFP and how it relates to City's situation with UEFA on FFP. In my opinion as a City fan that news is relevant to this City forum; what is not relevant to this forum or welcome are the constant snipes about: racist comments about Arabs and/or City's owners & FFP.

I posted the extract from the original post as clearly Chicog was going to comment, but my opinion is that he doesn't read in detail before posting and I wanted him to be clear what, in my opinion, was the key part of the original posting.

I posted the article as it is current relevant news about the legal counter to FFP and how it relates to City's situation with UEFA on FFP. In my opinion as a City fan that news is relevant to this City forum; what is not relevant to this forum or welcome are the constant snipes about: racist comments about Arabs and/or City's owners & FFP.

I posted the extract from the original post as clearly Chicog was going to comment, but my opinion is that he doesn't read in detail before posting and I wanted him to be clear what, in my opinion, was the key part of the original posting.

If you can point out my racism by all means do.

Amusing from someone who complains about others reading in detail.

I specifically referred to the Al Nahyan family that own your club and decide what happens to the sovereign wealth of the nation that they happen to rule by force.

Edited by Chicog

So to clarify Chicog. You don't have problems with money spent if it is 'clean' money by your definition?

Actually I don't.

I can't see Bill Gates throwing a billion quid at a football club, because it's his money and therefore he doesn't just throw it around on playthings.

Pffft. Cover up the dirty money eh?

You can hardly aim that at us Chicog....its a topic for the news forum....I know its loosely connected but leave this for football....or stick it in a footy politico thread....

As I said I didn't start this topic here, someone else did and addressed it to me.

Besides which MrBo will be along to delete all the posts anyway.

wink.png

So to clarify Chicog. You don't have problems with money spent if it is 'clean' money by your definition?

Actually I don't.

I can't see Bill Gates throwing a billion quid at a football club, because it's his money and therefore he doesn't just throw it around on playthings.

Sport is a plaything though.........

All well and good, but enticing Chicog to comment on these issues is always going to lead to a barrage of ill tempered posts. Posters become annoyed, if not more than that, and in the end absolutely nothing is settled. Nobody has changed their minds about the topic at hand and it is more than clear that they are not going to.

Politics, religion, nationalism and money. Bah and humbug.bah.gif

All well and good, but enticing Chicog to comment on these issues is always going to lead to a barrage of ill tempered posts. Posters become annoyed, if not more than that, and in the end absolutely nothing is settled. Nobody has changed their minds about the topic at hand and it is more than clear that they are not going to.

Politics, religion, nationalism and money. Bah and humbug.bah.gif

Moving on........

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287441/report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26590673

:-)

• Like 1

I still haven't posted the video of the Shaikh's brother running over the employee because he was upset with him. Lovely people they are.

blink.png

Well here's the solution for Chicog and for those of us who come on here to discuss the footballing aspects of Man City.

Why don't you Chicog:

1. Open a new forum about FFP, and anybody on this forum with an interest in FFP can follow you over there.

2. Open a new forum about sheikh mansour and his family's wrong doing, ditto.

We can then all discuss man city topics on here except for those 2 topics.

Good idea?

I still haven't posted the video of the Shaikh's brother running over the employee because he was upset with him. Lovely people they are.

blink.png

Well here's the solution for Chicog and for those of us who come on here to discuss the footballing aspects of Man City.

Why don't you Chicog:

1. Open a new forum about FFP, and anybody on this forum with an interest in FFP can follow you over there.

2. Open a new forum about sheikh mansour and his family's wrong doing, ditto.

We can then all discuss man city topics on here except for those 2 topics.

Good idea?

Already done mate.

Perhaps you didn't know that.

Trouble is I can't seem to get any Citeh fans interested.

cheesy.gif

Edited by Chicog