Manchester City

mrbojangles

:D Then again,who am I? I'm not Howard Webb :o

Why would anyone want to be that Wonker :D ?

I've always wanted to be a little hitler.....a power hungry machismo......a wise guy. In my dictionary, these determine the word 'referee' :D

well well well, somebody must have been listening upstairs !! Found out today I've been made a "mod" on my footy forum :bah:

The over whelming sense of power at my fingertips is tremendous !! I know exactly how you feel Jockstar :D

Edited by chavy

:bah: Then again,who am I? I'm not Howard Webb :o

I've always wanted to be a little hitler.....a power hungry machismo......a wise guy. In my dictionary, these determine the word 'referee' :D

well well well, somebody must have been listening upstairs !! Found out today I've been made a "mod" on my footy forum :bah:

The over whelming sense of power at my fingertips is tremendous !! I know exactly how you feel Jockstar :D

Do you really want to be one? :D

:bah: Then again,who am I? I'm not Howard Webb :o

well well well, somebody must have been listening upstairs !! Found out today I've been made a "mod" on my footy forum :o

Do you really want to be one? :D

OMG, don't encourage him Jockstar. He'll be banning people left, right and centre, especially Leeds and Derby fans. :bah:

Eriksson - It's a grey area

Offside rule needs clarifying

Sven Goran Eriksson has deemed the offside rule a "grey area" after Blackburn earned a rather controversial point at Eastlands.

Blackburn twice came from behind to earn a crucial point on Thursday night, ending the Blues' run of nine consecutive home wins.

Roque Santa Cruz was the man of the moment, netting both Rovers goals though the second was initially disallowed.

The equaliser momentarily appeared to be ruled out when the linesman flagged David Dunn for offside, but referee Howard Webb allowed the goal to stand.

Asked about the situation and whether or not he thought the goal should have counted, a rather confused Eriksson told Sky Sports: "Well I don't know.

"One Blackburn player is flagged offside after trying to knock it with his head but not reaching it. Santa Cruz comes in behind and scores."

Put to him that if a player does not touch the ball he is not offside, Eriksson responded: "If that's the rule then yes, it's a goal.

"He tried to touch it but he didn't so it's a goal.

"I think it's a very grey area we're talking about, I think it needs clarification but it's the offside rule - it's always a grey area."

Speaking of the performance as a whole, Eriksson added: "I am disappointed that we couldn't hold onto a lead and that we conceded on two set pieces.

"Blackburn played well though. They are a good team. I think they were better than Chelsea when they played them."

From the BBC:-

Man City 2-2 Blackburn

Manchester City lost their 100% home record in the Premier League this season as in-form striker Roque Santa Cruz bagged a brace for Blackburn.

Santa Cruz headed in a late David Bentley cross to earn his side a point.

City went ahead when the inspirational Martin Petrov crossed for Darius Vassell to nod in, before Santa Cruz headed a Bentley free-kick to equalise.

Another Petrov cross was put into his own net by Ryan Nelsen, before Santa Cruz popped up to salvage a draw.

The Paraguayan has now scored a remarkable seven goals in his last four games and he denied City fourth place in the league in the process.

After a subdued opening, the game came to life with the first real chance after 21 minutes - and how City striker Rolando Bianchi will live to regret not putting his side in front.

Petrov played a gorgeous one-two with Stephen Ireland and hit the left byeline, picking out Bianchi perfectly, only for the Italian to completely miss the ball in front of an open goal.

That extraordinary moment was the signal for the game to explode - and three goals in three sizzling minutes brought Eastlands to life.

Petrov beat the offside trap and raced down the left once more, this time expertly clipping the ball to the far post for Vassell to nod in.

Only 61 seconds later Blackburn were level as Santa Cruz bagged his sixth goal in four games by heading home Bentley's wickedly inswinging free-kick from the left.

But two minutes later City restored their lead when Petrov caused yet more mayhem and rifled the ball across goal, only for Blackburn captain Nelsen to inadvertently put the ball into his own net.

With the main action out of the way, the game reverted back to the patchy affair it had been before the three goals in three minutes and 26 seconds.

Rovers brought on Benni McCarthy at half-time and he was close to being sent clean through, only for David Dunn to overhit his pass to the South African.

Blackburn were beginning to get on top and a cross from the right fell to Morten Gamst Pedersen, who hit a powerful effort that Nedum Onuoha did well to block.

City sent on Elano to try to finish off the match and the Brazilian nearly did so in majestic fashion, chesting the ball down and lashing in a cracking volley from 25 yards that flew inches wide.

But with eight minutes to go, Santa Cruz reacted quickly to get his head on the end of a Bentley cross from the right and earn his side a crucial point.

The assistant referee originally ruled the goal out for offside against Dunn, but he quickly reversed his decision and after a brief delay, the goal was allowed to stand.

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes:

"In the first half we didn't lay a glove on City, they played around us.

"We needed a response in the second half and we took the game to them, we were the only team trying to win it.

"We have been on a difficult run, but this is a positive result and we've now got two games we can get points from."

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson on Rovers' late leveller:

"One Rovers player was offside, but the ball goes over him, he didn't reach it and the guy behind - Santa Cruz - scores.

"I think it's a very grey area we are talking about, it needs clarification.

"Blackburn played well but they are a good team so it's no surprise. For us, Martin Petrov was very, very good."

i wonder if boston barry cares that ManCity won 3:1??

:o

Probably celebrating with a Budweiser as we speak. :D

Oh the inhumanity, a Budweiser ugh! He should be at least quaffing a Sam Adams " Boston Lager" and celebrating the return of the Celtics to the top of the league (another sport)

i wonder if boston barry cares that ManCity won 3:1??

Probably celebrating with a Budweiser as we speak. :D

Oh the inhumanity, a Budweiser ugh! He should be at least quaffing a Sam Adams " Boston Lager" and celebrating the return of the Celtics to the top of the league (another sport)

Yeah, he should be, but good ole "Boston Barry", is partial to a bit of Budweiser and throwing tea into the local canals.

Edited by mrtoad

My opinion is the ref / ref ass got it wrong - Dunn was clearly seeking to gain an advantage by leaping to head the ball and clearly distracted Hart.

The 'was it a goal' controversy aside, the result overall was probably fair. We should have been 3-1 up by 75 minutes with the game over but we do not seem to have the ability to kill teams off - we have yet to murder a team this season, we get ahead and then take the foot off the peddle, we tend to 'showboat it'.

Petrov aside we weren't very good were we.

The upside is we have 35 points half way through the season, that compares over our last 4 seasons with 20, 27, 23 and 21 points.

35 points in the last 4 seasons would have put us in 3rd last season (Liverpool was 3rd with 34 points and finished 3rd with 67 points), 4th (Spurs and wigan were joint 4th with 34 points and finished 5th & 10th with 65 and 51 points), 5th (M'boro was 5th with 32 points and finished 7th with 55) and 4th (Charlton was 4th with 30 points and finished 7th with 53 points) so we're in for a top 10 finish definitely (5-7th me thinks).

I'm off out towatch this one this evening, and I amn going to be supporting.................. Man City :D , hope you guys do us a favour and take all three points.

It's a difficult one for you eh Toady. As you hate Liverpool more than you hate City :D

It's true, I do hate Liverpool more than Man City. I think Liverpool fans hate Man Utd more than Everton as well.

I'm off out towatch this one this evening, and I amn going to be supporting.................. Man City :D , hope you guys do us a favour and take all three points.

It's a difficult one for you eh Toady. As you hate Liverpool more than you hate City :D

It's true, I do hate Liverpool more than Man City. I think Liverpool fans hate Man Utd more than Everton as well.

The Cockney's all love you though. After all, the majority of them support Man U :D

From the City web site:-

Rolando: The truth

Rolando Bianchi has refuted stories saying that he is unhappy in England and that he wants to leave Manchester City.

Quotes attributed to the 24-year-old striker initially appeared in the Italian press, but speaking in English exclusively to mcfc.co.uk, Rolando says that he is happy at City and that he wants to bring success to the Club.

He says: “The truth is that I want to stay here at Manchester City. I like the club, I like the fans and I like living in Manchester.

“The Premier League is the best league in the world and this is where I want to play my football. I don’t know where these stories have come from because I want to win things for Manchester City, and it would be fantastic if we could qualify for next season’s Champions League.”

Bianchi, who was Sven-Goran Eriksson’s first signing last July, has found the net three times in December and he adds,

“I like the football here in England and I know I can add more goals for the team. I want to score more for my team mates, because we have all worked together so well since the summer.

“I have been learning English since I arrived here and see myself staying here for a long time.”

From the City web site :-

Sven wary of Gerrard threat

Sven-Goran Eriksson is warning his City side to be on their guard against an opponent that he knows all about from his days as England manager.

Steven Gerrard lines up against his former international boss for the first time in today's Barclays Premier League fixture.

The Liverpool midfielder was on the score sheet on Eriksson's most famous night in charge of the national side, the 5-1 win over Germany in Munich six years ago, and the City boss knows what to expect from Gerrard and his team mates.

"I suppose Gerrard will play - it would be better if he sits on the bench!" laughs Sven. “He's a very special player for Rafa, he has everything. He can score goals, and his goal at Derby decided their last match. He can defend, attack and score goals, he is the complete midfield player. If he played at right back he'd be very good there as well.

"They are a team, but the big teams like Liverpool have special players who can win games. Gerrard is one, Alonso is a marvellous playmaker, and Torres up front is not bad. He's quick, strong and very clever. They have a lot of good players and will be a strong challenge, but we will try the very best that we can."

Urging the Blues to forget about the frustration of the controversial draw with Blackburn, Sven adds:

"We have to recover and get over Blackburn as much as possible now. United was tough of course, but in this league every game is a test, different every time but difficult very time as well. Liverpool are a great side, and they will believe that will be playing in the Champions League next season."

The visitors will be without the suspended Peter Crouch, Sami Hyypia is a doubt with a knock to the ankle so Daniel Agger may be forced to return from a foot injury.

Fairs fair , a good sparring match was had :D .

0-0 ..... fair result.

Even though it was 0-0, i thought it was an xiting game, not dull at all :D

BTW , Elano who ???? mascherano had him silenced for the whole of the time he was on the pitch :o .

Yeah, he had a bad day at the oriface yesterday

Well i dunno i was fairly dissapointed no i lie pissed off with City.I mean come on if we have SERIOUS asperations of being a top 4 club we have to play like we actually believe we are and im sorry we just did not do that today.In truth we looked scared of Liverpool and SKY got it right for once when they said City were out not to lose well again sorry WE were the Home team but showed NO desire to go out and win the game.Today we should have being about putting out a message of intent saying we are City and we are pushing for a top 4 place but no instead we said gee i think we are doing well in 5th lets try to hold on as long as we can-Not good enough and i thought Sven had changed that negative shit.

Well i dunno i was fairly dissapointed no i lie pissed off with City.I mean come on if we have SERIOUS asperations of being a top 4 club we have to play like we actually believe we are and im sorry we just did not do that today.In truth we looked scared of Liverpool and SKY got it right for once when they said City were out not to lose well again sorry WE were the Home team but showed NO desire to go out and win the game.Today we should have being about putting out a message of intent saying we are City and we are pushing for a top 4 place but no instead we said gee i think we are doing well in 5th lets try to hold on as long as we can-Not good enough and i thought Sven had changed that negative shit.

A year ago we would have lost that game (and many others this season) but we have a degree of durability these days, however i would agree with your sentiments, we looked to be more scared of them than the other way around, and with every substitution we got worse. While Elano didn't do a great deal he did keep them occupied and once he switched to wide right we seemed as a team to have lost the impetus. In the end we did well to keep in the game.

Thought Dunney was magnificent especially as he'd had a couple of bad ones recently. The whole back 4 and the goalie, Hamann, Corluka and Vassell did well - strangely they are all the players we had last season cept for Vegran.

Here's the thing, if you put Torres (or someone esle top class) in our side then suddenly we are top 4 material but without then we are only top 10. We look capable of compteting with the top 4 teams but not beating them! But, if you can't be happy with being 5th after years and years of dross then you are a hard man to please - we are 20 games in to a new set-up, rejoice my friend, rejoice!

Happy Blue New Year to you all.

Fairs fair , a good sparring match was had :D .

0-0 ..... fair result.

Even though it was 0-0, i thought it was an xiting game, not dull at all :D

BTW , Elano who ???? mascherano had him silenced for the whole of the time he was on the pitch :D .

I think he is carrying an injury.

He has looked a shadow of his former self since returning from injury.

Gerard showed his usual world class abilities. But Dunney and Richards kept Kuyt and Torres nicely in their pockets :o

we are 20 games in to a new set-up, rejoice my friend, rejoice!

Absolutely, we are rebuilding a team and it will take time to get the right mix. IMO at the moment we are ahead of the in terms of the master plan. That being "world dominance" :o

Happy Blue New Year to you all.

Same to you bred, jack, Totlanh and all you other blues.

BTW , Elano who ???? mascherano had him silenced for the whole of the time he was on the pitch :D .

I think he is carrying an injury.

He has looked a shadow of his former self since returning from injury.

Gerard showed his usual world class abilities. But Dunney and Richards kept Kuyt and Torres nicely in their pockets :o

Yeah, Elano isn't looking 100% but he'll be back on top form. :D

Edited by mrbojangles

Boss confirms talks over new signings

Sven-Goran Eriksson has confirmed that he is already working on strengthening his squad when the January transfer window opens.

Permanent deals can tale place once the new year begins, but with the Blues having already agreed a loan deal on one player in December, Sven says:

“Well, we have already taken one in Nery Castillo, but I think something more will happen in January. We will be having meetings over the next few days, but it’s difficult because we’re working and the rest of Europe is on holiday, so it is hard to talk to people right now.

“We are talking to agents, and the players we are discussing are big ones who could cost a lot of money, as all good footballers do. We’re trying in this country as well as abroad.”

The Manager also confirmed that Castillo would not be available for selection until after Wednesday night’s game away to Newcastle. Premier League rules state that a new player must be registered by midday of the previous working day, and with the Premier League’s offices being closed on January 1st the Mexican’s paperwork cannot be processed until ahead of the FA Cup tie with West Ham.

Newcastle's problems don't concern Sven

Sven-Goran Eriksson is ignoring Newcastle United’s problems as City prepare to take on the Magpies at 7.45pm tonight.

Sam Allardyce’s side lie in 11th place and have lost their last two games, but the Blues’ manager sees nothing out of the ordinary in the pressure his opposite number is perceived to be under.

Sven says: “I can understand the pressure because they would have hoped to be higher in the table at this stage, but there’s pressure every time you don’t get the result that people expect and accept.

“Sam Allardyce is a big personality, he knows how to handle it and he’s tough enough to do so.

“It can’t affect our preparations for this game at all. We have had to recover from the Liverpool game as quickly as possible and try to raise our energy on Wednesday night.

“I can’t imagine Newcastle are happy with their position in the league, they will be trying to win and make it as hard as possible. Once again it will be a tough away game against difficult opponents, in a beautiful stadium with over 50,000 people watching, and I’m very much looking forward to it.”

City go into the game having played on Sunday, whereas Newcastle have had an extra day to prepare as the Manager notes.

“We have had a day’s less rest than our opponents for both these league games, and it will be the same when we go to West Ham. In one way it’s good, because it gives you a chance to see the opponents when you are not playing.

“But it’s bad as well because physically you have less time to recover. Even though we have drawn the last three league games, we are confident because of our performances, and we have no new injury problems which is very good for us.”

Pre-match report from the BBC:-

Newcastle v Man City

Newcastle striker Alan Smith is a major doubt as he recovers from concussion but Michael Owen could return after recovering from a thigh injury.

Midfielder Joey Barton will not play after being remanded in custody on charges of common assault and affray.

Manchester City's Brazilian midfielder Elano may find himself on the bench with with fellow countryman Geovanni among the potential replacements.

Michael Johnson is out but Emile Mpenza could return from a muscle problem.

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce on the absence of Michael Owen:

"We have had games where we have created a large number of chances and you have to wonder, if Michael had been there, we might have converted a higher proportion of our chances. "His injury has been a massive disappointment.

"But he is now back and we can only hope that with no internationals coming up, and his training and fitness work (being) in-house, we can get him fit and scoring goals again."

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"They (Newcastle) were unlucky against Chelsea.

"When you are fighting against one of the big four and lose like that, you are angry and disappointed, so I can understand how Sam Allardyce feels.

"It's going to be a difficult game. It's a beautiful stadium with a beautiful atmosphere. We go there with an open mind and try to win."