Manchester City

mrbojangles

The game not available here but all the reports sounded very good. Silva back and apparently in form. KDB doing what KDB does. Delph looking good. Otamendi chopping blocks.

It usually doesn't pay to get overly optimistic but if Silva can avoid bad knocks and Aguero gets in shape I'm looking for big things. The supporting cast is looking pretty strong at the moment. Delph could be a huge help and enables Pellegrini to rest Yaya. A big plus.

So is Pep coming if City win the league ? I'd puke if that happened. Nothing against Pep who I like, but deep sixing a manager who wins the league would be criminal.

Getting ahead of myself here after the Hull match but with Silva back and the squad looking more robust hard not to. Now if KUN and Kompany could get right and stay right I'd be over the blue moon.smile.png

So happy Silva is back. He's just pure joy to watch. KdB showing his usual class and Otamendi was outstanding again. Delph is fitting into the side quite nicely and both Mangala and Willy didn't look as nervy as usual.

All in all it was a very good performance and we looked lethal on the break but for the majority of the game we didn't even get out of 2nd gear.

Bony continues to fail to impress and he knows it. Never even cracked a smile when he scored.

So is Pep coming if City win the league ? I'd puke if that happened. Nothing against Pep who I like, but deep sixing a manager who wins the league would be criminal.

The problem is jelly, how long is Pelle's shelf life? He ain't getting any younger, so how long would he stay in management after this year?

If Pep is available and he wants to come to City, we should nab him while we have the chance or he'll go to another club on a 4/5 year deal. Worst case scenario could be that we keep Pelle for another year, he retires and then a top notch manager isn't available.

The problem is jelly, how long is Pelle's shelf life? He ain't getting any younger, so how long would he stay in management after this year?

If Pep is available and he wants to come to City, we should nab him while we have the chance or he'll go to another club on a 4/5 year deal. Worst case scenario could be that we keep Pelle for another year, he retires and then a top notch manager isn't available.

I understand all the logic MrB but getting rid of a manager who wins the league would be a horrible thing for me. But, lots of water under the bridge before we might get to that point. If it does happen I'm sure I'd get used to it, but a sickening "sign of the times" in football and business.

They sacked a man who won a trophy for the first time in 40 years, including the League!!

The Barca boys have openly gone on record and said that the optimum time for a manager is 3 years.

Personally I think Pep is a shoo in and has been for a while. Nothing against Pelle, but Pep would be an instant upgrade.

I'm presuming that when a new arrives does arrive he's going to be tasked with an overhaul, a rebuild, baring in mind the average age of the City side? So what has Pep rebuilt? Nothing. Just spent money and fine tuned an already great side.

If you were to replace Pellegrini i personally think Ancelotti the better suited choice for the City job. He's already proved he can out think Pep tactically to ado things.

Ofcourse i'm expecting Claudio Ranieri to be off the Madrid soon!!

"Deep sixing"??

Jeezus Christ jellybean next you'll be donning your pads for a century at the British Club! laugh.png

Are there any birds at the British Club ?biggrin.png

I've never been invited.

I checked out their website Smokes. I can't speak for you but I'm too good for them. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I'm presuming that when a new arrives does arrive he's going to be tasked with an overhaul, a rebuild, baring in mind the average age of the City side? So what has Pep rebuilt? Nothing. Just spent money and fine tuned an already great side.

If you were to replace Pellegrini i personally think Ancelotti the better suited choice for the City job. He's already proved he can out think Pep tactically to ado things.

No overhaul or rebuild is required. Yaya is probably the only one coming to the end of his shelf life. Zaba and Sagna will need replacing in the coming years. Demichelis will move on at new years or close season. Oh, and Richard Wright can't sit on our bench forever ;-)

Hart 28

Otamendi 27

Mangala 24

Denayer 20 (I believe he will be back in the summer...... great centre half who would flourish under Pep)

De Bruyne 24

Sterling 20

Delph 26

Aguero 27

Iheanacho 19

Add to that Silva, Kompany, Fernandhino who are in or around the 30 range and I believe the future is absolutely phenomenal.

We will need 2 new full backs and a new world class defensive midfielder, hardly an overhaul.

I think Pep would be the final piece.

Whats the average age of your squad Jack? Sorry i should have made that clearer. I did read that at the start of the season that was the average age of your squad. City will undoubtedly be playing an awful lot of games and there will be a need for a lot of rotation.

We can all put out a fairly young starting eleven but whats the squad like for the long haul? Its just a question?

Edited by carmine

Whats the average age of your squad Jack? Sorry i should have made that clearer. I did read that at the start of the season that was the average age of your squad. City will undoubtedly be playing an awful lot of games and there will be a need for a lot of rotation.

We can all put out a fairly young starting eleven but whats the squad like for the long haul? Its just a question?

Er, what has AVERAGE age of the team/squad got to do with anything? It's about individual ages, and Jack and I have answered age concerns above.

I seem to remember reading something either in the summer or the back end of last season. Something along the lines of us having the oldest average aged squad (or somewhere close)

That was probably before we bought Sterling/De Bruyne/Delph/Mangala. Those 4 alone have an average age of about 23.

AsI said, I think we need 2 new full backs, immaterial of ages Kolarov and Clichy arent upto it. Sagna and Zabaleta are not getting any younger.

Toure is past his sell by date, so a younger replacement and we are set.

The average age last night was 28.

But replacing Wild Willy with Hart. Sterling for Navas and Aguero for Bony would bring it down to 27.

I understand all the logic MrB but getting rid of a manager who wins the league would be a horrible thing for me. But, lots of water under the bridge before we might get to that point. If it does happen I'm sure I'd get used to it, but a sickening "sign of the times" in football and business.

Don't feel too sory for them jelly. They all leave with shopping trolley's full of cash and their families don't starve. smile.png

I seem to remember reading something either in the summer or the back end of last season. Something along the lines of us having the oldest average aged squad (or somewhere close)

That was probably before we bought Sterling/De Bruyne/Delph/Mangala. Those 4 alone have an average age of about 23.

AsI said, I think we need 2 new full backs, immaterial of ages Kolarov and Clichy arent upto it. Sagna and Zabaleta are not getting any younger.

But replacing Wild Willy with Hart. Sterling for Navas and Aguero for Bony would bring it down to 27.

That was after you bought them, average age of squad 27.9 y/o.

This is why you wind people up Alfie!!

What point are you trying to make??

If you want me to be pedantic, your above statement is wrong. They bought KDB end of August. The figure you are quoting is from July. So if you are going to correct somebody, then at least research it properly and get the correct answer!!

Regardless, carmine asked a fair question, I have answered him, so again what point would you like to make?

Accurately our squad average age ( not necessarily the first team age, which I think carmine was after) is 27.8.

If you want me to be pedantic, your above statement is wrong. They bought KDB end of August. The figure you are quoting is from July. So if you are going to correct somebody, then at least research it properly and get the correct answer!!

Regardless, carmine asked a fair question, I have answered him, so again what point would you like to make?

Accurately our squad average age ( not necessarily the first team age, which I think carmine was after) is 27.8.

I'm not trying to make any point just putting you straight as you tend to get facts wrong, usually in your arguments favour.

I'm wrong !!!! you said you probably bought 4 players after having a high average age squad when in fact you bought one, so that's 3 you got wrong, in fact you obviously havn't got a clue as Mangala you bought in 2014 so only a year out on that one biggrin.png .

Bit like Kroos not playing as a def mid player ah.

And then after all that you pull me up for .1 of a year and you call me pedantic.

Anyway for an ex plod you ain't too clever with getting your facts right laugh.png

Edited by alfieconn

I'm not trying to make any point just putting you straight as you tend to get facts wrong, usually in your arguments favour.

I'm wrong !!!! you said you probably bought 4 players after having a high average age squad when in fact you bought one, so that's 3 you got wrong, in fact you obviously havn't got a clue as Mangala you bought in 2014 so only a year out on that one biggrin.png .

And then after all that you pull me up for .1 of a year and you call me pedantic.

Anyway for an ex plod you ain't too clever with getting your facts right laugh.png

The lights are on, but alas nobody is at home in Alfies head.

You are behaving like a big kid again. It really is impossible to debate with you, you just start name calling. Grow up sunshine. I really would like to bump into you one day and see how gobby you are to my face.

Edited by JacknDanny
  • Like 2

The lights are on, but alas nobody is at home in Alfies head.

You are behaving like a big kid again. It really is impossible to debate with you, you just start name calling. Grow up sunshine. I really would like to bump into you one day and see how gobby you are to my face.

What, ya going to give me a ticket ? biggrin.png

Anyway where's the name calling ?

Nothing to say on Mangala, obviously didn't impress too much last season as you didn't even know that you'd bought him whistling.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by alfieconn

Er, what has AVERAGE age of the team/squad got to do with anything? It's about individual ages, and Jack and I have answered age concerns above.

It would suggest that a younger fitter body can play more minutes and at a higher intensity. Which when playing in four competitions, possibly in excess of sixty matches would suggest a young average age to be highly beneficial.

Whilst Jack did, i don't think you answered anything really, just took it personally as a slur against your club which is usually your reaction to any question.

Sorry, but please stop trying to read insults or upset from me in my posts if that is what is happening as none is made or intended on my part. I also do not think I took it as a personal slur on my club anymore than anybody else does including yourself on this or any other football forum. Maybe you can leave out the constant comments/criticisms of/about me across these football forums in recent weeks.

I did answer the comment on our squad and replacement/rebuild - please reread it. I stated that we do not need to rebuild (now, in the future or if a new manager comes in) - we have a decent team and squad - but a couple of players are coming to the end of their shelf life and will need replacing which is normal.

I don't think average age is an indicator of anything football related, only average age. We have a squad made up of individuals of differing ages and our average on any particular day could change - Pelle could field loads of the oldest players or loads of the youngest. I think at City, we like all clubs keep an eye on the age of the players/squad...some clubs (Newcastle) won't buy over 28 yr olds - we have a lot of key players in the 28-30 age group, which is a factor in why we picked up young players like Sterling and KdB (and were willing to pay over the odds as they should be with us for a long time) and Delph and the young scouse winger whose name escapes me. We will have a problem though in replacing individuals like Yaya, Aguero and Silva when the time comes; I think all other players ARE replaceable.

I think it's fair to say that only Yaya is at the stage where his number of games per season has to be limited due to his age, position and style of play. All other players in our squad regardless of age should be able to physically compete over a season as any 22 year old.

Edited by Bredbury Blue