Manchester City

mrbojangles

We wouldn't even be discussing this if it had happened at the other end.

biggrin.png

The first point raised on here was that City were denied a clear penalty in the final seconds of the game (I assume both Chicog and Wilai agree that it was a penalty or they would no doubt have been arguing it wasn't a penalty by now).

The 2nd point raised on here was that something should be done in these technologically advanced days to try to stop wrong ref decisions on penalties (and I'd also say sendings off); everybody seems to concur except for our friend headinthesand.

]

biggrin.png

The first point raised on here was that City were denied a clear penalty in the final seconds of the game (I assume both Chicog and Wilai agree that it was a penalty or they would no doubt have been arguing it wasn't a penalty by now).

The 2nd point raised on here was that something should be done in these technologically advanced days to try to stop wrong ref decisions on penalties (and I'd also say sendings off); everybody seems to concur except for our friend headinthesand.

]

Ah, I see "everyone" now means "All Manchester Dhabi fans".

I repeat: We wouldn't even be discussing this if it had happened at the other end.

And you know that's true.

w00t.gif

biggrin.png

]

I repeat: We wouldn't even be discussing this if it had happened at the other end.

w00t.gif

"Everyone" clearly was related to everyone who had commented on this forum.

If the Sterling/Stones wrong penalty decision had been reversed and been in the City box, would I have raised it? Most likely no I wouldn't have raised it beyond "we were lucky barstards there". Had you raised and wanted an opinion was it a penalty for Everton or not I would have had to admit it was. Fair?

]

^ Messrs East, Beck, Lennard and Oliver apparently agree with Martinez

Did they? How do you know that?

We can agree that the ref East obviously didn't think it was a penalty. What did the linesman at the City end indicate?

We have no way of knowing what the linesman's opinion at the Everton end was or that of the 4th official.

biggrin.png

]

w00t.gif

"Everyone" clearly was related to everyone who had commented on this forum.

If the Sterling/Stones wrong penalty decision had been reversed and been in the City box, would I have raised it? Most likely no I wouldn't have raised it beyond "we were lucky barstards there". Had you raised and wanted an opinion was it a penalty for Everton or not I would have had to admit it was. Fair?

]

A video replay would have seen Costa elbowing Koscielny in the face.

Did you hear me screaming for video replays?

No you most certainly did not.

Let's face it this "We only want it because it helps the other clubs" is the same tosh you used when you were whinging about the FFP fine.

cheesy.gif

Let's face it this "We only want it because it helps the other clubs" is the same tosh you used when you were whinging about the FFP fine.

Read post number 2 in this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/857151-time-for-football-to-go-to-the-tmo/ and you'll see in September (which was what, yeah waaay before Wednesday's game) I said:-

I've been an advocate for the use of technology for years and believe it's required even more nowadays.

You've been on here for years Chic where the debate on video replays has been discussed several times and I have stuck to this same opinion for years. My view on Video replays isn't a knee jerk reaction from the other night but it certainly enforces my opinion. Your just from the Blatter and Plattini camp biggrin.png

You certainly did a fair amount of whinging about the Costa incident though Chic. Yeah, the same type of whinging you have accused us of

Why does Costa get away with it?

He looked like he was giving Koscielny a head massage.

Should have been in the book already.

It's a joke that he's still on.

Well apart from the fact that Dean was caught celebrating a goal against us in one game, it's interesting to note the win percentages of games he's refereed in recent years:

Arsenal 7% (!)

Chelsea 63%

Man Dhabi 63%

Man U 63%

Tiny Totts 50%

Shocking really, but his ineptitude was there for all to see there, as were the scrapes on the back of Gabriel's neck from Costa's actions.

And the number of fouls officially committed by Costa today?

If I didn't laugh I'd cry.

Why is it sour grapes to expect the officials to do their job properly?

All the players you named would have got a red for doing what Costa did.

The commentators were saying that Kos should have gone down when he had his face grabbed and slapped.

It's a sad indictment of today's refereeing that they base decisions on player reaction rather than what is rather obviously going on in front of them.

Oh and then you jumped with glee when Costa was punished and Kos appeal was successful. Guess what they use as evidence in these hearings..........that'd be video replays wouldn't it biggrin.png

Well well maybe Costa IS going to get what he deserves. Too late for the reult though.

Arsenal's appeal against defender Gabriel's red card during Saturday's defeat by Chelsea has been successful.

Gabriel, 24, was sent off by referee Mike Dean for violent conduct after a clash with Diego Costa during the Blues' 2-0 victory at Stamford Bridge.

The successful appeal means he will now not serve a three-match suspension.

Yes I moan about crap refereeing but that is the game.

And yes, I'm OK with retrospective video punishment for things the ref didn't see.

THAT doesn't interfere with play.

What I don't do is demand they change the game just because I don't like the way it turned out for my team.

Or whining for changes, then claiming I'm only doing it "for the other clubs".

cheesy.gif

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-penalty-controversy-top-10732481

Former referee Dermot Gallagher has said that the official who failed to spot thefoul on Raheem Sterlingwhich should have given Manchester City a late penalty against Everton, got it wrong.

In the the past few games we've had quite few decent penalty shouts not given...last night's penalty shout looked a penalty so I can only assume that from the refs viewing angle it wasn't 100% clear.

I think the way the ball popped off Sterling's foot made it look like the defender had got the ball.

And the linesman was unsighted.

It happens. They do even themselves out over a season.

So if the ref thought the ball had come off the defender, why did he not award a corner?

I'm guessing because he thought it was a goal kick?

blink.png

I give up with you sometimes!!facepalm.gif

You stated.............I think the way the ball popped off Sterling's foot made it look like the defender had got the ball.

So, correct me if I am wrong, in your opinion the referee did not give a penalty because he thought the defender played the ball, not the man? Therefore he should have awarded a corner.

Is there a language barrier here?

If he thought it was a goal kick, then he would believe the ball DID come off Sterling, therefore NOT off the defender, which makes your excuse for the referee missing it, redundant.

Yes I moan about crap refereeing but that is the game.

And yes, I'm OK with retrospective video punishment for things the ref didn't see.

THAT doesn't interfere with play.

What I don't do is demand they change the game just because I don't like the way it turned out for my team.

Or whining for changes, then claiming I'm only doing it "for the other clubs".

cheesy.gif

Chicog, when you reply to posts, do you actually READ them first?

What are you going on about in this post?

You just make things up to try to make your point!!!

Nobody has DEMANDED to have things change because of the way it turned out for our team!!! Mr BJ (AS HE SAID IN HIS POST) has for years been suggesting using technology to better the game. So your comment above is just plain daft.

I get frustrated with any game changing decision that the referee gets wrong.

The problem with todays football is that in the past Match of the Day would replay the game and there was maybe 2 camera angles. Nowadays there are video screens playing back instant replays in the stadiums using 10 or more different angles.Mistakes are easier to spot, referees are put under more pressure AND the game is getting faster. Surely with all the technology available, it would make sense to at least implement the technology in some way?

Some of the mistakes the referees make are blatant, as was the one against Sterling. Thats what is hard to swallow. The referee should have seen that as a penalty. That would have taken 3 seconds of a 4th referee looking at the video replay.....less time than it takes a throw in to be taken, hardly disrupting the game.

Its for the good of the game.

Chicog stop thinking people are asking for a change of the laws because of a Man City incident. That's not the case so stop trying to make it the case. It happens in loads of non City games and every time it does I get pissed off...we have the technology to try to minimise the wrong effects but we don't put it to use; we should.

Depending on what way the authorities play it regarding technology, it could mean the whole way of refereeing will have to change and refs will have to make a lot less decisions during the game, a hell of a lot of thought will have to go into it and it will be a lot more difficult more than people realize.

• Like 1

This video replay issue was debated to death here on the football forum about two years ago. My position remains the same. An absolutely horrible idea. Goal line technology is great. Anything else would be an unmitigated disaster IMHO.

Carry on chaps !smile.png

Depending on what way the authorities play it regarding technology, it could mean the whole way of refereeing will have to change and refs will have to make a lot less decisions during the game, a hell of a lot of thought will have to go into it and it will be a lot more difficult more than people realize.

I think for years it was football policy that the game on the local rec would be played under the same rules as those used in the top leagues and international football. Probably goalline technology is the most obvious example of modern football veering away from that policy. We clearly don't want too many variations between football rules at the top and bottom but I'm sure something will be done in time to stop wrong ref decisions influencing the outcome of football at the top table - I hope it will happen, 4 assistant linesmen in the Champions League is a positive move but as we saw with the Demichelis non-awarded goal (which was well over the line) which luckily Otamendi put back in the onion bag, even additional sets of officiating eyes can get it wrong [and why do we have goalline technology in the Premier but additional linesmenon the goalline in the Champions League?].

]

While we're on the subject of reffing, this new reffing approach is really annoying me. In injury time in the Chelsea v WBA game the other night, Fletcher was breaking out of defence on the counter, Willian I think it was threw himself in to a slide tackle, caught Fletcher who rode the foul, sorted his feet out and balance out, was under no pressure, looked up saw he could play the ball 20m down the line outside the chelsea fullback and a WBA player was in on goal. The chelsea defender cuts the ball out. The ref whistles and brings the ball back to the Willian foul. WHY? WHY? WHY? Advantage was over as soon as Fletcher was in control again following the foul. What's this all about. It happened to City earlier in the season when the ref deemed a free kick after now advantage accrued after what seemed an eternity and the opposition scored from the freekick.

I give up with you sometimes!!facepalm.gif

You stated.............I think the way the ball popped off Sterling's foot made it look like the defender had got the ball.

So, correct me if I am wrong, in your opinion the referee did not give a penalty because he thought the defender played the ball, not the man? Therefore he should have awarded a corner.

Is there a language barrier here?

If he thought it was a goal kick, then he would believe the ball DID come off Sterling, therefore NOT off the defender, which makes your excuse for the referee missing it, redundant.

For heaven's sake, is it not bleeding obvious that he thought the defender played the ball off Sterling's foot?

Try and keep up!

• Like 1

Chicog stop thinking people are asking for a change of the laws because of a Man City incident. That's not the case so stop trying to make it the case. It happens in loads of non City games and every time it does I get pissed off...we have the technology to try to minimise the wrong effects but we don't put it to use; we should.

Are you denying that if this had been in the Everton penalty area, you would not even be discussing this topic?

Because if you are, I call BS.

While we're on the subject of reffing, this new reffing approach is really annoying me. In injury time in the Chelsea v WBA game the other night, Fletcher was breaking out of defence on the counter, Willian I think it was threw himself in to a slide tackle, caught Fletcher who rode the foul, sorted his feet out and balance out, was under no pressure, looked up saw he could play the ball 20m down the line outside the chelsea fullback and a WBA player was in on goal. The chelsea defender cuts the ball out. The ref whistles and brings the ball back to the Willian foul. WHY? WHY? WHY? Advantage was over as soon as Fletcher was in control again following the foul. What's this all about. It happened to City earlier in the season when the ref deemed a free kick after now advantage accrued after what seemed an eternity and the opposition scored from the freekick.

"Advantage" is subjective.

Do you want to leave that to video refs as well?

blink.png

I think for years it was football policy that the game on the local rec would be played under the same rules as those used in the top leagues and international football. Probably goalline technology is the most obvious example of modern football veering away from that policy. We clearly don't want too many variations between football rules at the top and bottom but I'm sure something will be done in time to stop wrong ref decisions influencing the outcome of football at the top table - I hope it will happen, 4 assistant linesmen in the Champions League is a positive move but as we saw with the Demichelis non-awarded goal (which was well over the line) which luckily Otamendi put back in the onion bag, even additional sets of officiating eyes can get it wrong [and why do we have goalline technology in the Premier but additional linesmenon the goalline in the Champions League?].

]

Because Platini doesn't like *any* technology being used, even if it doesn't interfere with the game.

What will happen is that referees will leave difficult decisions to the "video refs".

It will be a farce.

Well at least we know where you get it from.

Sounds very Mourinho.

"They're all out to get us!".

Bacary Sagna has claimed Manchester City are being treated unfairly by referees, with the defender pointing to penalties he believes the side should have been awarded in recent games against Everton and Leicester City.