Manchester City

mrbojangles

Yaya Toure reveals he thought it was Manchester United he was joining biggrin.pngpost-64056-0-43703900-1462503034_thumb.j

In a recent interview with the Daily Mail Yaya Toure confesses that when he left Barcelona in 2010 he though he was going to Manchester United and not City,only when his agent revealed it was the team in blue shirts did he realise cheesy.gif

Just goes to show that great footballing ability and having a brain to go with it is not always necessary whistling.gif

Nice try with a twist of a few words Peter.

You said "when he left "Barcelona" ............Yaya actually said "when I was at Barcelona"

You said Yaya "thought he was going"........Yaya actually said "I thought it was Manchester United that wanted me"

‘When I was at Barcelona and initially approached by Manchester City I thought it was Manchester United that wanted me,’ admitted Toure.

‘My agent had to tell me it was the team in the blue shirts.

‘At the time Manchester United were putting Manchester City in the shadows. It was unbelievable. Manchester United is a big club and I respect that club a lot.

‘It was a big challenge but I came because I knew they were going to succeed and we would win trophies, compete with the big clubs and with Manchester United.

‘This was the kind of club I wanted to have a story with and make history with. I made a good choice.’

• Like 2

"such is United,s fame across the continent they are known only as Manchester and that led Toure believing it was the Red Devils that were interested in his services"

Same scenario as I pointed out some time ago when Sheikh Mansour bought into City believing they were some form of "feeder" club belonging to United,not realising they had no connection whistling.gif his adviser at the time was removed to another position at the Royal Camel Racing stables thumbsup.gif

"such is United,s fame across the continent they are known only as Manchester and that led Toure believing it was the Red Devils that were interested in his services"

In 2010 that was probably the case, peter. Times are moving on and there are new kids on the block and we have come a long way in 6 years. Stand still (or regress) and wallow in your history, whilst the rest progress.

Same scenario as I pointed out some time ago when Sheikh Mansour bought into City believing they were some form of "feeder" club belonging to United,not realising they had no connection whistling.gif his adviser at the time was removed to another position at the Royal Camel Racing stables thumbsup.gif

...oh the irony eh, ManU is not even located in the city of Manchester. What a laugh.

Nice try with your 2nd paragraph though.

We didn't deserve to win that, so no complaints really.

Does anybody else think Ronaldo should have been sent off for catching the ball? The flag might have gone up and he might have seen it but your supposed to play to the whistle aren't you?

Shame about Vinny. I would imagine that was his last kick of a ball for City, or at least as a captain. Can't see Pep relying on his fitness (or lack of)

Must be the best case of clutching at straws that i have ever read on here laugh.png

• Like 1

Does anybody else think Ronaldo should have been sent off for catching the ball? The flag might have gone up and he might have seen it but your supposed to play to the whistle aren't you?

Shame about Vinny. I would imagine that was his last kick of a ball for City, or at least as a captain. Can't see Pep relying on his fitness (or lack of)

Must be the best case of clutching at straws that i have ever read on here laugh.png

Alfie, seems you're wrong!

http://www.squawka.com/news/poll-ronaldo-technically-should-have-had-two-yellow-cards/662092

http://www.squawka.com/news/poll-ronaldo-technically-should-have-had-two-yellow-cards/662092

It's just Alfie being Alfie BB. Don't know what straws he thinks I was clutching at, I wasn't exactly claiming for a reply. Just a simple question which graham Poll seems to agree with.

Seems i'm not .........The offside offence is neither a foul nor a misconduct, players are never booked or sent off for offside.[2] Like fouls, however, any play (such as the scoring of a goal) that occurs after an offence has taken place but before the referee is able to stop the play is nullified.

Taken from http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/FootballDevelopment/Refereeing/02/36/01/11/LawsofthegamewebEN_Neutral.pdf

Crikey, bj will be saying next that a goal scored from a player who is flagged offside should stand if scores before the ref has had a chance to blow his whistle whistling.gif

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

Of course it would have been a yellow if it wasn't offside, seems strange that Poll didn't mention it being offside.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3574006/Cristiano-Ronaldo-lucky-not-booked-handball-referee-started-failed-good-form.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Poll, 1st booking Ronaldo should have received

It was interesting to see Skomina manage Cristiano Ronaldo when the Madrid star waved an imaginary card after being dumped on the turf by Bacary Sagna.Technically, that should have earned Ronaldo a booking, but the forwards gesture was discreet and Skomina wisely smiled and asked the Portuguese not to try any repeat.

Poll, 2nd booking Ronaldo should have received

Ronaldo was flagged offside by the assistant but still tried to gain an advantage.

I pretty sure Graham Poll is more knowledgeable on the current rules and application of those rules than I am. But seems Alfie is more knowledgeable on the current rules and application of those rules than Graham Poll.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3574006/Cristiano-Ronaldo-lucky-not-booked-handball-referee-started-failed-good-form.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Poll, 1st booking Ronaldo should have received

It was interesting to see Skomina manage Cristiano Ronaldo when the Madrid star waved an imaginary card after being dumped on the turf by Bacary Sagna.Technically, that should have earned Ronaldo a booking, but the forwards gesture was discreet and Skomina wisely smiled and asked the Portuguese not to try any repeat.

Poll, 2nd booking Ronaldo should have received

Ronaldo was flagged offside by the assistant but still tried to gain an advantage.

I pretty sure Graham Poll is more knowledgeable on the current rules and application of those rules than I am. But seems Alfie is more knowledgeable on the current rules and application of those rules than Graham Poll.

How did he try to gain an advantage when he'd already been flagged offside facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You don't have to be knowledgeable, just to be able to read as i'm quoting from the official Fifa Laws Book.

Like fouls, however, any play (such as the scoring of a goal) that occurs after an offence has taken place but before the referee is able to stop the play is nullified.

Now what don't you understand about that ? biggrin.png

In 2010 that was probably the case, peter. Times are moving on and there are new kids on the block and we have come a long way in 6 years. Stand still (or regress) and wallow in your history, whilst the rest progress.

BJ

United,s honours from 2010

Football League Cup Winners 2010

FA Community Shield Winners 2010

FA Premier League Champions 2010/2011

European Champions Cup Runners Up 2010/2011

FA Community Shield Winners 2011

FA Premier League Runners Up 2011/2012

FA Premier League Champions 2012/2013

FA Community Shield Winners 2013

So since 2010 United have been standing still and wallowing in our history..............facts are facts.

20 times champions of England 3 times Champions of Europe,when City can come anywhere near that I will happily acknowledge your said progress thumbsup.gif

p.s. hope your over your pitiful performance (or not as the case may be) in Madrid this week whistling.gif

Edited by petermik
  • Like 2

Crikey, bj will be saying next that a goal scored from a player who is flagged offside should stand if scores before the ref has had a chance to blow his whistle whistling.gif

What on earth are you going on about. I ask a simple question but you take bickering to all new level.

BJ

United,s honours from 2010

Football League Cup Winners 2010

FA Community Shield Winners 2010

FA Premier League Champions 2010/2011

European Champions Cup Runners Up 2010/2011

FA Community Shield Winners 2011

FA Premier League Runners Up 2011/2012

FA Premier League Champions 2012/2013

FA Community Shield Winners 2013

So since 2010 United have been standing still and wallowing in our history..............facts are facts.

20 times champions of England 3 times Champions of Europe,when City can come anywhere near that I will happily acknowledge your said progress thumbsup.gif

p.s. hope your over your pitiful performance (or not as the case may be) in Madrid this week whistling.gif

OK Peter, so now let's look at what I actually said:- "In 2010 that was probably the case" Which you have shown was the case and I know full well what you have won (even though you find it necessary to count the Community Shield and being runners up laugh.png ) but can't you see the decline in silverware since that season? I take away the standing still bit but enforce the regress bit. Carry on reminiscing and looking at the history books.

• Like 1

What on earth are you going on about. I ask a simple question but you take bickering to all new level.

Stop backtracking, you said Does anybody else think Ronaldo should have been sent off for catching the ball?

You might have been asking a simple question but you were also making the point that you thought he should have been sent off for catching the ball.

Edited by alfieconn

Stop backtracking, you said Does anybody else think Ronaldo should have been sent off for catching the ball?

You might have been asking a simple question but you were also making the point that you thought he should have been sent off for catching the ball.

Yes, because it was deliberate handball and he threw it in the net. It doesn't matter now, forget the question, Graham Poll has already answered it for me so we don't need to carry on this discussion.

Yes, because it was deliberate handball and he threw it in the net. It doesn't matter now, forget the question, Graham Poll has already answered it for me so we don't need to carry on this discussion.

Yes, because he was flagged for offside, read this again as it is obviously not sinking in :

Like fouls, however, any play (such as the scoring of a goal) that occurs after an offence has taken place but before the referee is able to stop the play is nullified.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Many thanks for your continued valuable interpretation of the laws Alfie, your contribution is appreciated. However, as I said above, following his years of experience in the profession officiating at the highest level, I will stick to Graham Poll's interpretation of the laws.

Many thanks for your continued valuable interpretation of the laws Alfie, your contribution is appreciated. However, as I said above, following his years of experience in the profession officiating at the highest level, I will stick to Graham Poll's interpretation of the laws.

I think he should have been booked for time wasting. ;)

• Like 1

It's nothing to do with my interpretation or anybody else's, the laws say

Right so one last question then i'm out, so if Ronaldo had headed the ball in the goal instead of catching it would it have stood ?

For the benefit of BB - as requested we persevered and most of us now love James Milner and considering we got him on a free, belter.

Knew he'd win you over. He's not a star but he's definitely at the top of the most committed to the club cause. I like Jimmy alot and would welcome back immediately that's how highly I rate his time at City. Sure you'll grow to like him more over the coming seasons.

Would you like Bony?