Suspected member of 'Nigerian Scam' arrested with 1.8 million Baht

webfact

If people are dumb enough to give away their money, then I have little sympathy for them. That goes for both sides, the fat old man handing his hard earned over to a tart who tells him he's a "handsome Man", or the greedy cow who thinks some rich doctor is going to pay her pack 10 fold and provide a life on easy street for her.

Don't like thieves but also have no sympathy for these types of victim either.

I do feel sympathetic when the victim is elderly and trusting, as many older generations are.

To a degree I have to feel sympathetic for naive or even slightly dumb persons who are taken advantage of by slick talk or a quick mouth and mind.

A salesman telling lies about his product is still criminal in my eyes.

Where my sympathy wanes is when I see underlying greed.

The man reportedly offered to buy an apartment in Bangkok for the woman and promised to send 5 million baht to her as a payment.

Edited by jacko45k

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nigerians cant come here for legal work?

Dont see many Nigerian restaurants or anything related to Nigerian tourist operators.

I'm sorry but I've never seen a legit one in Thailand.

Sent from my LG-D858

Of course they can come here for legitimate work, the same as any foreigner can.

They get a job here with a school/company/the Nigerian embassy.

Yes I know there are criminal elements from Nigeria here but unlike you I don't assume that because they are Nigerian they are a criminal.

You might want to note that no Nigerians have been named or caught or proved to be involved in this crime.

Just a Thai women claiming they are.

From the khasod report:-

"Several weeks ago, Thai police arrested a Nigerian man who allegedly conned over one million baht from a Thai woman through a similar scheme."

"Yesterday's arrest followed a complaint by a Thai woman that a British man named James Thompson"

Jim Thompson? Seriously, Jim Thompson.

Has a silky sound to it, does it not ?

and time goes by......

Did anyone ever really get to the bottom of that one????

Well here we go again, The Thais actually think everyone is so stupid to believe everything they say.

Where are the Nigerians ?

Who had 47 bank accounts.?

Who had the cash in their possession ?

There are no Nigerians !

Its all down to her, so why not say so. ??

Thai don t do that. Period.

Dont see many Nigerian restaurants or anything related to Nigerian tourist operators.

Sent from my LG-D858

Probably because you have been searching at the wrong places or you have built this mentality and got blinded by the belief that we are all criminals. I am proudly Nigerian, been here for 32 months with no criminal record of any kind, actively involved in the school system. I guess in your country, there are no jails or criminals.... Kudos
Fact... I was employed by a major UK bank for 30 years and part of my work involved contact with the Fraud Squad/Police. I was working on a case involving one of your compatriots whose name began and ended with a vowel. During a conversation with the Policeman he asked me whether my bank had set up a computer programme to highlight/report 'unusual' activity on accounts where the customer's name began and ended with a vowel. I found out this was a Police approved means of tracking the fraudulent movement of money by passport holders of a well known country in the South African continent. No prizes for guessing the name of that country!
  • Like 2

I've met a woman that has been scammed this way - it's a real thing - and according to her one of her friends almost fell for the same trick.

They are pretty smart.
The women scammed are typically 30 year old Thai women, with a good job, a child from a previous relation.
The chance that these women find a new Thai husband is small and many go to farang-Thai dating websites . They are kinda desperate ....

The scammers tell the woman they are going to marry with her, and they are going to send a diamond engagement ring worth 1 million baht.

One week later (fake)"customs" call the Thai women and they say that a package has arrived for her worth "1 million" and she has to pay 100000B import tax on account xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx

The women transfers the money and the scam goes on .... they don't stop there.

This kind of scam always involves several people of at least some can talk English and some can talk Thai.

If you would know how the scam is setup it's perfectly understandable the women fall for it.

Edited by kriswillems

What does it say on the tee shirt on the man on the right?

"If it fails good, do it." Great slogan for the Thai police force.

Thanks for that clarification. Do you have any idea what it means?

Well, I would suppose it is the Thai rendition of that old saying "If it feels good, do it" which generally means "Do whatever feels good to you", or having no moral compunction against depraved behavior.

Since it is a Thai law enforcement officer and it say "If it fails good, do it" I would conclude this is how they modeled their murder investigate at Koh Tao. In other words, whatever incompetent methods seem appropriate, go with it.

Or maybe I'm just a cynic.

Sent from my LG-D858

They sell stones and gold, met a couple of traders in Sukumvit a few years ago.

Sent from my LG-D858

Probably because you have been searching at the wrong places or you have built this mentality and got blinded by the belief that we are all criminals. I am proudly Nigerian, been here for 32 months with no criminal record of any kind, actively involved in the school system. I guess in your country, there are no jails or criminals.... Kudos

I agree with both comments. I personally know a Nigerian family living in Thailand. They are very nice people, well-educated, and very polite. Unfortunately Nigerians have a bad reputation worldwide. -- 1) Not too long ago a close friend was raped and beaten almost to death in Krabi by a Nigerian (by the way - the police set the scumbag free the day of his court hearing... and he was never even charged!) -- 2) My Thai maid was almost scammed by a Nigerian impersonating a British [maybe it was the Thai lady on the news] by online dating for months until the money-for-sick-mother was solicited. -- 3) Any day you drive by the corner of Soi 3 Sukhumvit you can see dozens of intoxicated Nigerians up to no good. My own experience in 3 years in Thailand has been 1(Good Nigerian) X 2 (Bad Nigerians) -- 4) more if I include the innumerous email scams that have popped up in my mailbox.

Guy far right is a genius cop, wears a t-shirt in English so looks more "under cover", but has it mis-spelled

"If i Fails Right Do It!"

so as not to seem too slick, or give away that he can in fact read/understand English.

Pure genius, there could be no other explanation ; )

NS

• Like 1

Guy far right is a genius cop, wears a t-shirt in English so looks more "under cover", but has it mis-spelled

"If i Fails Right Do It!"

so as not to seem too slick, or give away that he can in fact read/understand English.

Pure genius, there could be no other explanation ; )

NS

Lol I read this stuff and laugh Nigerians are running drugs through Thailand They got boiler rooms all over the place to do there internet scams I ran an ISP check on one found he was in Bangkok close by soi 3, Besides boiler rooms and internet scams they do a booming business in credit card fraud They have a few well placed In Visa and master card card issuing department. Where you order replace card they run two cards send extra cards to Thailand via Fed ex Then once here they activate them find either some white farang or Philippino To run card buy TV's computers or gold sometimes. Then sell on craigslist

Sent from my LG-D858

not that i am insecure about my manhood but it would seem the nigerians can provide more of something than thai males and many farangs can should that classify as work.

The reality is,

she was only caught because someone found the money as she tried to cross the border,

she must have been acting strangely, unless they just decided to search her for no reason

must not have been able to pass the bull crap test to a question, and boom, spread em

but let's not make it seem like this was the result of painful investigation,

more like painful interrogation

I make you spot on there, either that or she was grassed,

The plane clothed dudes in the photo (nephews of the Boss cop) were only cueing up for their cut of the booty LMAO

• Like 2

What the heck is a person running a decent business doing with 47 bank accounts in the same name and why is nobody at any bank checking this??? Well, I forgot: so far holding numerous bank accounts were the domain of monks.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

Goodness me, the authorities can't even say that a "THAI WOMEN" arrested with cash from scam.

That is exactly how it is, no Nigerians have been arrested as far as I can see. This is xenophobia on steroids and very bad for Thai publicity yet again.

• Like 2

Sent from my LG-D858

Fact... I was employed by a major UK bank for 30 years and part of my work involved contact with the Fraud Squad/Police. I was working on a case involving one of your compatriots whose name began and ended with a vowel. During a conversation with the Policeman he asked me whether my bank had set up a computer programme to highlight/report 'unusual' activity on accounts where the customer's name began and ended with a vowel. I found out this was a Police approved means of tracking the fraudulent movement of money by passport holders of a well known country in the South African continent. No prizes for guessing the name of that country!

"..........a well known country in the South African continent."

Well, let me guess joe, how about Nigeria, but that's in the West African continent innit?whistling.gif

• Like 1

I've met a woman that has been scammed this way - it's a real thing - and according to her one of her friends almost fell for the same trick.

They are pretty smart.

The women scammed are typically 30 year old Thai women, with a good job, a child from a previous relation.

The chance that these women find a new Thai husband is small and many go to farang-Thai dating websites . They are kinda desperate ....

The scammers tell the woman they are going to marry with her, and they are going to send a diamond engagement ring worth 1 million baht.

One week later (fake)"customs" call the Thai women and they say that a package has arrived for her worth "1 million" and she has to pay 100000B import tax on account xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx

The women transfers the money and the scam goes on .... they don't stop there.

This kind of scam always involves several people of at least some can talk English and some can talk Thai.

If you would know how the scam is setup it's perfectly understandable the women fall for it.

Only the stupid fall for it.

• Like 1

Sent from my LG-D858

Of course they can come here for legitimate work, the same as any foreigner can.

They get a job here with a school/company/the Nigerian embassy.

Yes I know there are criminal elements from Nigeria here but unlike you I don't assume that because they are Nigerian they are a criminal.

You might want to note that no Nigerians have been named or caught or proved to be involved in this crime.

Just a Thai women claiming they are.

From the khasod report:-

"Several weeks ago, Thai police arrested a Nigerian man who allegedly conned over one million baht from a Thai woman through a similar scheme."

Yes.

A different case.

A different scam.

Nothing to do with this case.

Did you read that?

Just ignoring that are we?

Not fitting the picture you want painting?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1