Adsl Microfilter

Artisan

I've seen some D-Link promotional brochures and an ADSL Microfilter/Splitter is mentioned. Trying to find one has been impossible, as everywhere that I've tried results in shrugged shoulders and blank looks. I've tried Panthip and Tuk.com (Pattaya and Sr Racha) and, at each location, I've been shown an ordinary phone line splitter. Does anyone know just how different a microfilter/splitter is to a bog standard splitter or are they interchangeable?

I've seen some D-Link promotional brochures and an ADSL Microfilter/Splitter is mentioned. Trying to find one has been impossible, as everywhere that I've tried results in shrugged shoulders and blank looks. I've tried Panthip and Tuk.com (Pattaya and Sr Racha) and, at each location, I've been shown an ordinary phone line splitter. Does anyone know just how different a microfilter/splitter is to a bog standard splitter or are they interchangeable?

Not interchangeable.

The ADSL filter has just that, a filter network to stop the phone slugging the ADSL signal. The ADSL is straight through so ADSL will work without a filter if you unplug all the telephones.

Anywhere that sells the ADSL modems / routers should have the filters, you may be confusing people by calling it a 'microfilter' :o

You should get at least one in the box with your ADSL modem / router.

It should look something like the below. A line input and output to phone and another to ADSL modem. It removes the ADSL tones from your phone line so that you can phone and use ADSL at the same time. If you have a number of extension phones you can run outside feed directly to the filter and then run the phone output to feed your internal phone lines and only one filter would be required.

DSLfilter.jpg

It should look something like the below. A line input and output to phone and another to ADSL modem. It removes the ADSL tones from your phone line so that you can phone and use ADSL at the same time. If you have a number of extension phones you can run outside feed directly to the filter and then run the phone output to feed your internal phone lines and only one filter would be required.

DSLfilter.jpg

I have a downstairs phone/fax plugged directly to the wall socket with an extention phone upstairs with a filter similar to your photo where I plug in my ADSL line.

Is this correct as I have found that by unplugging the downstairs phone/fax machine my line speed almost doubles even though I use a filter upstairs.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Correct Tony,

Each and every fax or telephone set has to be plugged in after the adsl filter.

Basically wherever your phoneline enters the house you'l have to put the filter. From the "phone" connection on the filter you can go to all your phones, and the "adsl" connection will have to go only to your adsl router!

Edited by monty

Correct Tony,

Basically wherever your phoneline enters the house you'l have to put the filter. From the "phone" connection on the filter you can go to all your phones, and the "adsl" connection will have to go only to your adsl router!

Thanks Monty.

Does this mean that I will have to move my phone fax upstairs or my computer downstairs as I cannot see how to plug the ADSL cable from the filter if put downstairs unless I run a new cable from downstairs to upstairs or I am completely wrong here. I only have one wall socket downstairs and another upstairs or do I need another filter downstairs but no ADSl plugged in.

Sorry if this is naive of me but any further help would be appreciated.

I saw some for sale recently at the "Amorn" shop ( Thai version of Radio Shack) in the basement of Tuk Com Pattaya.

Thanks John, but I looked in the Amorn shop several weeks ago and all they had were simple phone line splitters. I checked again yesterday and the stock was the same. I'll keep trying.

Tony, the easiest way out is indeed to buy another filter, and put it between the outlet and your fax machine, just leaving the adsl plug empty!

Artisan, upstairs most shops in Tuk Com selling adsl modems also sell the splitters. The trick is in communicating what you need :o

Correct Tony,

Thanks Monty.

Does this mean that I will have to move my phone fax upstairs or my computer downstairs as I cannot see how to plug the ADSL cable from the filter if put downstairs unless I run a new cable from downstairs to upstairs or I am completely wrong here. I only have one wall socket downstairs and another upstairs or do I need another filter downstairs but no ADSl plugged in.

Sorry if this is naive of me but any further help would be appreciated.

Hi Tony and Monty. My reason for asking the question at the beginning of this thread was that I had this in mind also. My home has three phones. I use a filter/splitter (which came with my ADSL router) only on one wall phone socket serving my computer and a phone. Running a separate ADSL cable from a single filter on the incoming phone line to my home will be difficult.....so, if I buy another two filters can I use them on the other two phone sockets just as Tony has asked? I'm also sorry if this is naive of me too. Thank you anyway.

...so, if I buy another two filters can I use them on the other two phone sockets just as Tony has asked?

This is absolutely correct, so long as every phone is behind a filter all will work properly, just leave the ADSL output empty.

There's probably some limit as to how many filters you can have, but 3 or 4 certainly isn't a problem :o

Yep, separate filters on each wall socket will do the trick.

The only thing the filters do is seperate the adsl signals from the POTS (plain old telephone signals).

If you don't use them you'll hear screeching sounds in your phone when trying to call, and your modem will have problems connecting at a decent speed just by having the phone/fax on the same unfiltered line, and will even completely lose connection when one of the phones is in use!

I'm not too sure of the adsl part being straight through as someone posted before, because even without any phones connected, any incoming (ringing) call can mess up an ADSL connection as well.

In my case this doesn't happen when the adsl splitter is present, without phones connected...

Edited by monty

You can install a filter (splitter type is not required but can be used) at any phone/fax. It will remove the ADSL signal and allow normal use.

I removed the inside house connection (but connecting the reds together and the greens together) at the lightning ground box and ran a new line direct to computer area to a filter/splitter. Took ADSL output from splitter to modem and took phone output to wall phone jack (which in turn feeds the house). That way I am sure to have a good line (new) to computer and one filter takes care of entire house.

I'm not too sure of the adsl part being straight through as someone posted before, because even without any phones connected, any incoming (ringing) call can mess up an ADSL connection as well.

Being a nosey git, I had the lid off mine (cheapo, came with the router). The ADSL output is definately linked straight through 1:1 from the input side.

Posher, more expensive units may have some other gubbins on the ADSL output, doubt it though :o

Being a nosey git, I had the lid off mine (cheapo, came with the router). The ADSL output is definately linked straight through 1:1 from the input side.

Posher, more expensive units may have some other gubbins on the ADSL output, doubt it though :o

Technical details of the filter: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/adsl_filter.html

and wiring diagrams: http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

various pictures: http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

Edited by tywais

Good links Tywais :o

My filter must be a real cheapie, nowhere near as complex as the one on the site, one capacitor, one resistor, one inductor. Seems to do the job just fine though.

Meanwhile assertion "The ADSL output from filter (if it has such thing) is generally unfiltered line signal" confirms what I suggested, ADSL output is straight through.

Artisan, as I had to go to Amorn today anyway..I had a look for the ADSL filters

they're in section B6 with the rest of the telephone adaptors and wires..

on the packaging it says AMV ADSL JL-333 ( with come Chinese characters and a blue cardboard backgound packaging, clear plastic front packaging )

Cost 50 baht :o

looks a bit like this one.

post-2109-1154078026.jpg

Artisan, as I had to go to Amorn today anyway..I had a look for the ADSL filters

on the packaging it says AMV ADSL JL-333 ( with come Chinese characters and a blue cardboard backgound packaging, clear plastic front packaging )

Cost 50 baht :D

post-2109-1154078026.jpg

John.....I went to Amorn today and, sure enough, there they were just as you said. They were near the bottom and not all that obvious but your information was spot on. I bought three. Thank you :o

.....and thanks to everyone who replied to my query :D

Cost 50 baht :D

post-2109-1154078026.jpg

John.....I went to Amorn today and, sure enough, there they were just as you said. They were near the bottom and not all that obvious but your information was spot on. I bought three. Thank you :o

.....and thanks to everyone who replied to my query :D

I have now put a pots splitter /filter on both my phone wall sockets and the spoeed of my TTT maxnet4home has improved dramatically.

Also many thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.