Tourist arrivals in Trat Province drop by more than 50%

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it sad (and sickening) just how willing the Yellows are to destroy their own country just to get their own way.

Their anti-democratic, semi fascist dystopia will never eventuate, but they seem hell bent on inflicting as much misery as possible on the country up until the hour of their own downfall.

Keep The Red shirt hypocricy out of this, a lot more other reasons.

Such as?

Red shirts murdering civilians in Trat or did you forget.

No the main issue is the complacency that tourist operators have had for a number of years and the disdane that they have for tourists in general. Poor quality, over priced, scams? Thefts, murders etc etc. In the end people get fed up of the same old bull <deleted>. It never changed whatever lot where running the government.

Mai Pen Rai, it will be okay, yada yada; well there are other places to go as well.

• Like 1

Isn't it sad (and sickening) how willing the Yellows are to destroy their own country just to get their own way.

Their anti-democratic, semi fascist dystopia will never eventuate, but they seem hell bent on inflicting as much misery as possible on the country up until the hour of their own downfall.

Jeez, we still have old thaivisa pensioner red shirt shills on here?

I think Pipkins is back

The chairman of Trat Chamber of Commerce has revealed that tourist arrivals in the first 9 months of this year have dropped by more than half of last year’s number.

​Nice to see an honest official, who is willing to tell it, like it really is. We see so many reports that have been doctored, by the government ministries. This is the real deal. Tourism is down so much further than they are willing to admit. This coming high season is going to be a real wake up call for alot of people.

Isn't it sad (and sickening) how willing the Yellows are to destroy their own country just to get their own way.

Sorry mate, 38 year old investment banker with first hand experience of how the uncertainty caused by the coup is affecting capital movements.

• Like 1

A bit out of date now, but I was on Koh Chang in June and it was DEAD! 50% down would be an underestimation in my experience of the place. To add insult to injury, somehow my TGF and I managed to get slightly scammed on the way there, not a great amount, but it didn't cheer us up any.

The prices overall were noticeably higher than last year and the service was variable. Sometimes it was very good (like getting us a new bungalo within 15 minutes when a branch fell on ours) but also sometimes very bad: at another place, a poorly cooked breakfast from MISERABLE staff, and also our place refusing to serve even coffee at 8:30 in the morning, despite there being several staff around!

Even the 'Suit, Sir?' touts weren't trying. All the bars were empty, as were most of the hotels along the main street in White sands. It was sad to see my favorite place in this state.

Sorry mate, 38 year old investment banker with first hand experience of how the uncertainty caused by the coup is affecting capital movements.

What about dodgy farang murder stuff...?

What about dodgy farang murder stuff...?

Or the global economy where people lost savings due to "bankers" Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 2

Rubbish!

If those are the reasons then this would be the figures for the whole of Thailand and not just Trat.

However, it was the red shirts indiscriminately lobbing hand grenades around and spraying a crowded market with automatic gunfire.,...... Not yellow shirts.

If anything is going to have a direct effect on a localised situation, it is that kind of behaviour.

There is going to be a lot of pain this next 12 months. There is no quick fix, Thailand's rep has taken a hammering and there are better value destination, where the quality and security is better.

Recent international press will have not improved people's vision of Thailand.

Agreed, that for all of TATs posturing, the numbers on the ground are far worse than they care to admit. The successful business will continue, but those that are trying to establish, or are just surviving are really going to struggle. Operators are going to have to stimulate the market by making it attractive an d enticing to visit, well, lowering prices and offering good deals might be. A start. Putting prices up, will be a recipe for disaster.

This weekend it was fairly busy on Koh Chang, but a lot is domestic travellers, who do not spend much in the local bars, resteruants etc

I saw an article with a figure closer to a 30% drop yoy for the first 9 months. But they didn't provide a source, if I however look around me in Huahin it could be correct.

Cool how old pensioners in the Mrs.' village can connect to wi-fi and reinvent themselves online.

Now 50% drop in tourists is a more realistic figure however I would suggest this drop is for the whole of the Kingdom and not just the one province . Having lived on the islands for more than 8 years this is the quietest I have ever seen them at .falang bars up for sale or closed the signs of the times I am afraid to say !

Cool how old pensioners in the Mrs.' village can connect to wi-fi and reinvent themselves online.

You don't mean it's KerryK/ Andrew/Thailiketoo,/ Rachatsomething/ChiangMaiKelly with yet another username ? w00t.gif

Now an investment banker as well as chief engineer of half the worlds car companies and ranong oops I mean Rayong engineer ? w00t.gif

• Like 1

Cracking down on the spinoff parties based on the original full moon party...was kind of a death knell. That, along with the lack of security/safety for tourists, the high price of travel, and the publicity about the recent murders...not to mention martial law, all will have their effect.

I wonder how Sihanoukville is doing?

Perhaps backpackers are finding cooler places in the world to travel to. Koh Chang for example, was a cool place to visit 30-40 years ago. No paved roads, no access to White Sands beach other than by path through the jungle, villages like Baan Bang Bao virtually inaccessible. Waterfalls such as the one at Klongprao had to be discovered, no signs, hardly anyone went there. No ferry. A fisherman would take you in his boat for 40 baht.

Would be hugely disappointed to go now though.

I've seen the pics of even 20 years ago, and have some friends who moved here in the early 90's sounds like it was a great place.

There are still nice parts, but vastly different. The cesspool that is Lonely Beach is one place, that would benefit from being totally torn down.its just Khao San road by the beach, vile, vile place.

Last time I went must have been about twenty-five years ago. I don't remember being much impressed with the terrain or the beaches, but I do remember thinking accommodation was overpriced even then.

You don't mean it's KerryK/ Andrew/Thailiketoo,/ Rachatsomething/ChiangMaiKelly with yet another username ? w00t.gif

Now an investment banker as well as chief engineer of half the worlds car companies and ranong oops I mean Rayong engineer ? w00t.gif

Little bit of status anxiety showing here ladies.

How old I am, where I am and what I do are of no real importance for anything other than ad hominem drivel by those unable to debate their ridiculous positions on current events....

How will the capital markets be affected by the ongoing protests in Hong Kong by a totalarian regme, or is that different? Singapore also not exactly known for its democracy either. To simplify it to the old yellow shirt blame game, shows an over simplified view on what is happen g in the tourist industry in Thailand.

Mr Buffet Jr.

The markets don't agree with you!!

The SET is up more than 10% since the coup and capital inflows very high!!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Mr Buffet Jr.

The markets don't agree with you!!

The SET is up more than 10% since the coup and capital inflows very high!!coffee1.gif

Investment Banker could also be IFA, and they are really credible in Thailand.

Little bit of status anxiety showing here ladies.

How old I am, where I am and what I do are of no real importance for anything other than ad hominem drivel by those unable to debate their ridiculous positions on current events....

How will the capital markets be affected by the ongoing protests in Hong Kong by a totalarian regme, or is that different? Singapore also not exactly known for its democracy either. To simplify it to the old yellow shirt blame game, shows an over simplified view on what is happen g in the tourist industry in Thailand.

Yes, Hong Kong and Singapore are extremely different situations to what's occurring here.

The key is stability.

Both the Chinese and Singaporean governments will still be around, in their existing form, a year from now.

The same can't be said for the current Thai regime.

What none of us really know, is how hard the Junta will try to cling to power past their expiry date and how messy the next change of government will be.