Thai hospitals ready to service infectious Ebola patients in early 2015

webfact

Hospitals ready to service infectious Ebola patients in early 2015
By Digital Content

14137740766042-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 20 -- Although no Ebola patient has been found in Thailand so far, more than 900 government community hospitals nationwide are expected to be prepared to provide primary treatment to patients with such infectious diseases by early 2015, according to Public Health Minister Dr Rajata Rajatanavin.

Dr Rajata said Saturday while inspecting Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute in Nonthaburi, adjacent to Bangkok, that the Institute plus three other government hospitals in Bangkok, provincial hospitals and 30 other hospital centres would be ready to provide primary treatment by the end of November.

More than 900 other community hospitals in provinces nationwide would be ready by early 2015, he said.

Besides the Ebola epidemic, the Public Health Ministry is closely monitoring a new infectious disease, MERS Co-V, which broke out even before Ebola.

Dr Chariya Sangsajja, director of Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute, said the institute could now only admit between two or three Ebola patients at a time because much equipment and many experienced doctors are needed to care for each patient. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-20

"Dr Chariya Sangsajja, director of Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute, said the institute could now only admit between two or three Ebola patients at a time because much equipment and many experienced doctors are needed to care for each patient. "

And...Where are they going to get the many experienced doctors and much equipment? How can they transform a system that can only admit 2-3 patients nationally, to one that can treat patients in 900 settings within 6 months? Experienced epidemiologists focusing on one ailment are going to appear from thin air?

"Ittirit Kinglake, president of the Tourism Council of Thailand, suggested that Thai hotels and travel operators consider promoting the Kingdom as an Ebola-free destination."

Well, if they are going to treat Ebola patients in 900 settings, that pretty much eliminates Thailand as qualifying as an Ebola-free destination.

Do these "experts" ever think before the make these types of statements?

Edited by jaltsc

I suppose if there are more than a handful of patients, they will just have to get in the cue, unless of course they can pay a premium, or call in a favour from a high ranking official.

At least it is encouraging to see a Thai, in a position of authority, (or at least a spokesperson), telling the truth, so that we can make our own assessment of the state of preparedness.

The thai cure for Ebola is probably based on the "sand dabs and pizza" theory, but let,s not make light of a potentially disastrous situation that approaches ! More bodily fluids are probably exchanged in Thailand than anywhere else in the world, and I am sure most thais would not let a little virus stand in the way of a baht or two. Head for the hills !

I still want to know what happens if a foreigner shows up with symptoms and he can't pay? Normally in Thailand you get kicked to the curb in such cases. Remember until you start bleeding out of holes, the early onset symptoms look like other more common disease.

They really should address this issue specifically ... a good policy on that could save many THAI lives.

I was only reading the Bangkok Post on 19 October where it said that Thailand was well prepared against the threat of Ebola.

It goes on to say how people from affected countries will be monitored every day and that they won't be allowed through immigration unless they have a document from the Department of Disease Control.

Anyway, who is worried? Thailand already has the cure.

I just hope that Thailand doesn't get hit by this terrible disease.

So 900 government hospitals will have full hazmat gear and experiences/qualified doctors and nurses on call? I know what their answer really is.. "You have Ebola, here, take this amoxicylin 4 times each day" That's on the assumption there's somebody who speaks English of course.

• Like 1

Posted 2014-08-02 06:11:33

Thailand is unlikely to see Ebola victims, forum told
Cattleya Chan,
Kathryn Huang
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai hospitals ready and able to tackle cases if they do show up, expert says

The public should not panic over the Ebola outbreak in West Africa due to unsubstantiated social media reports, as there is little chance the deadly virus will make its way to Thailand - and even if it did, health organisations are well prepared to handle it, a seminar in Bangkok was told yesterday.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/748149-thailand-is-unlikely-to-see-ebola-victims-forum-told/

They seemed way more confident back in August.

They sound over confident about how prepared they are.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah, which strikes me as odd since they are generally super-humble and conservative here when telling of their capabilities.

• Like 1

Thailand...................the HUB of Ebola !!!!!!!!

Just kidding..........

Hopefully it wouldn't be necessary but just in case we are told that in early 2015

hospitals in Thailand are going to be ready to handle the emergency.

I think these are good news already!

Edited by doremifasol