AirAsia kicks man off flight for carry-on rage (VIDEO)

webfact

Once was queueing up at BKK check-in behind a woman who had what I thought at the time were 3 of the largest suitcases in the world one could ever imagine. 'Been shopping?' I innocently enquired. She had the shock of her life when she was asked for over £1000 for the excess weight. You just can't dump stuff then and there. IMHO the only solution other than pay is to exit the airport to dump the stuff or put it into left luggage awaiting one's return. Either way there is a cost and in the situation above throwing a strop over 900 baht just isn't on.

Edited by SheungWan

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Instead of just paying the THB900 fee to have the bag checked, the mans temper tantrum caused the cabin crew to invite him off the plane.

900 baht to check in your luggage? Rip off merchants.

yes... also the reason for such regular temper related trouble speciially with budget airlnes is underlying stress that builds up. Budget travel is advertised as hassle free basics only travel... not a minefield of hidden costs and charges that aggravate and anger a passenger... whatever happened to old fashioned service ? dunno all the specifics of this case to take sides but an airline arguing back with a passenger and having him removed off a plane becasue he lost his temper should not be happening in the industry. Agreed some passengers can be very troublesome, but airlines need to use such extreme measures as a last resort. Appears all the crew ganged up against him to throw him out. Did anybody try to defuse the situation and find an alternative solution ?

• Like 2

"Instead of just paying the THB900 fee to have the bag checked, the mans temper tantrum caused the cabin crew to invite him off the plane.

yes... also the reason for such regular temper related trouble speciially with budget airlnes is underlying stress that builds up. Budget travel is advertised as hassle free basics only travel... not a minefield of hidden costs and charges that aggravate and anger a passenger... whatever happened to old fashioned service ? dunno all the specifics of this case to take sides but an airline arguing back with a passenger and having him removed off a plane becasue he lost his temper should not be happening in the industry. Agreed some passengers can be very troublesome, but airlines need to use such extreme measures as a last resort. Appears all the crew ganged up against him to throw him out. Did anybody try to defuse the situation and find an alternative solution ?

Personally I think it is absolutely essential that the message gets across to airline passengers that if they dare cause a ruckus on a plane they will be immediately chucked off the plane if it hasn't yet taken off.

Oh no - they should also be chucked off even if the plane has already taken off

• Like 2

Personally I think it is absolutely essential that the message gets across to airline passengers that if they dare cause a ruckus on a plane they will be immediately chucked off the plane if it hasn't yet taken off.

What's wrong with after it's taken off? tongue.png

As someone stated, some sneaky mofos add stuff after check in (some airlines weigh hand luggage).

I would be miffed if it happened to me once on the plane, but I wouldn't go ape like him. No point. However, hand luggage should be weighed again just before boarding. If it's over, you either pay a surcharge or have the bag (and contents) stowed at the airport until you collect it (or pay for DHL etc).

The weight limitation of 7 kg for 1 bag in the overhead locker is to limit injuries to passengers seated under the locker or near this location in the event the bag falls or is dropped. Often this is a regulation imposed by the country's safety regulator but needs to be enforced by the airline - and not only Air Asia. Even so passengers are injured by falling bags - caused often by idiots opening the locker in turbulent conditions even when the seat belt sign is on.

As for being charged for checked in baggage (and other services) if you fly with a low cost carrier (LCC) this is what you get. Cheap fares and full service are not part of the LCC financial model.

• Like 1

Lesson of Life number (who knows): There are some issues worth fighting for. There are many others that I simply give in. This would be one of them. What do I have to do to stay on a flight? Funny---this happened to me in Japan for another reason. I asked - what can I do. The young japanese girl took my sissors, cut off the end of my toothpaste, taped the cut end, and said - 'ok you can board the flight'. that was a lot better than getting arrested. ooops, she did keep the sissors.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Big part of the problem is that the weight and size restrictions are rarely enforced. Really surprised that this guy got checked after boarding; that would probably make me more than a little annoyed but still no excuse for his behavior.

Another report says hat his main luggage (his cabin bag) by size / measurement would not fit the overhead locker.

you know the risk, pay the fee...

if you have more than 7kg have to be ready to throw some shit out.

personally they so weight all the bag going into hand luggage and make it fair.

sad thing is dozen of other people probably had over 7kgs also..

is that discrimination?

It may not have been $30 had he checked it in like he was supposed to. We all know the carry on rules. I personally hate selfish turds who, to save a few bucks, take on stupid amounts of carry on. Then us people who are behaving according to the rules have nowhere to put our stuff because the overhead lockers are full.

His fault he knew the rules. Cop it sweet. It should be enforced all the time.

• Like 1

I've never heard of the cabin crew weighing a bag after the passenger has boarded. It's always done at check-in, if at all. I'd be angry, too.

All flights to Ethiopia have hand baggage checked at the entrance of the plane. Its to stop the Ethiopians from carrying huge laundry bags of copy T-shirts and fake goods. Had my bag weighed once before and it was way over the 7KG. I looked at the guy weighing it and said with a big smile and in my best Thai "Grapao OK mai khrap" He looked at me and replied Grapao OK khrap. I continued to board the plane and watched the Ethiopians have their bags moved to the hold.

I remember when my Thai wife first came with me back to Australia 35 yrs ago, after I had been living there for 6 months we had so much gear I stuffed as much as I could into our carry on luggage to avoid excess baggage fees.

When I got home I weighed it, and it was 37Kg.Was way too big to fit in the overhead storage, so had to put up with it in my leg space all way to Melbourne. Dont think I would get away with that today.

Edited by gawaterman