Ebookers will not allow me to change my Dates

johnson36

I have tickets for Emirates booked through Ebookers for 9th Dec Manchester (UK) to Bangkok. We can not make those flights and want to change to late Jan or Feb. Ebookers say they will not change the flights and I have tried Emirates direct and they say they can not and that it is up to Ebookers to change them. I am happy to pay there minimum change fee of £110 per ticket and my tickets for 9th Dec are worth a lot more to them than the dates I would want to change to. Any ideas what i can do ? or have you had a similar situation.

Nothing to do with eBookers. It's what happens when you buy the cheapest ticket. Often not changeable nor refundable. Check the conditions of the ticket. Are outbound allowed? They either are or they are not.

That why I paid extra for my ticket; to have the ability to change dates or to refund if necessary.

So your tickets are worth nothing to eBookers. If they are non-refundable, how are they of any value to eBookers? If Refundable, they might have an Admin fee in addition to the airline's fee.

So, it's not down to eBookers, it's down to the specific conditions of your ticket.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I only buy ticket directly from airline website. I've been in your shoes and basically ate the ticket.

Not a problem to buy via an agent, if the reputation is good and the price is right. But check the conditions of the ticket before you press Pay Now.

Had the same problem many years ago, and it was purely due to ebookers - initially called the airline and they said no problem your seats are changeable (for a fee which I was happy to pay), only when they realised ebookers were the agent did they refuse and send me back to them. ebookers informed me they could not change.

I now only ever buy direct with the airline.

• Like 1

Had the same problem many years ago, and it was purely due to ebookers - initially called the airline and they said no problem your seats are changeable (for a fee which I was happy to pay), only when they realised ebookers were the agent did they refuse and send me back to them. ebookers informed me they could not change.

I now only ever buy direct with the airline.

Can only repeat the info in post #4. Many know that they bought the cheapest Non Changeable ticket from an agent, but hope that the airline won't notice, so call them directly. Usually they get as far as the airline noticing that it was a special purchase via an agent.

Check the booking conditions before you pay, it is as simple as that. This holds true when booking directly with an airline too. I recently had to choose between a 3 Star Airline with inexpensive changes or a 5 Star airline with more expensive changes.

People who buy just on price, without checking the conditions, have only themselves to blame.

One of the reasons I only buy ticket directly from airline website. I've been in your shoes and basically ate the ticket.

Same here. I used to book on Expedia because it was easy to search all kinds of airlines at the same time. The last time I used them I was not sure if I could go so I paid extra for a cancellation insurance. I ended up with changed plans and I contacted Expedia to cancel/change the tickets. They said it was not possible and the insurance I paid for was only valid if the tickets were refundable at the airline. So I asked why they sold insurance on non-refundable tickets in the first place. The answer I got was that it is a "clitch" in the system. Looked more like a calculated scam to me. I contacted the airline, KLM, but they told me they could not change the tickets because I booked via Expedia. If I had booked direct from KLM I could have changed tickets for a fee.

Nowadays I book direct from the airlines. Even the cheapest non-refundable tickets can usualy be rebooked for a fee. That fee can be high but much better than a 100% loss. You can use those crooked booking websites to search for flights and then book direct from the airline.

• Like 1

Same here. I used to book on Expedia because it was easy to search all kinds of airlines at the same time. The last time I used them I was not sure if I could go so I paid extra for a cancellation insurance. I ended up with changed plans and I contacted Expedia to cancel/change the tickets. They said it was not possible and the insurance I paid for was only valid if the tickets were refundable at the airline. So I asked why they sold insurance on non-refundable tickets in the first place. The answer I got was that it is a "clitch" in the system. Looked more like a calculated scam to me. I contacted the airline, KLM, but they told me they could not change the tickets because I booked via Expedia. If I had booked direct from KLM I could have changed tickets for a fee.

Nowadays I book direct from the airlines. Even the cheapest non-refundable tickets can usualy be rebooked for a fee. That fee can be high but much better than a 100% loss. You can use those crooked booking websites to search for flights and then book direct from the airline.

I booked a ticket with Expedia recently, see my topic in the travel forum, and it said on the booking page that the ticket was not refundable.

After I booked and paid got the itinerary mailed which said in bold texts, the ticket is refundable smile.png

Had a friend in Europe who booked a business ticket with China through Ebookers and wasn't able to fly. Ebookers said no refund possible.

I advised him to contact the China office directly, which he did days after the departure date had passed, and who refunded his ticket without questions.

Had a similar problem with expedia (the dates were changable as confirmed by the airline). Sorry our servers are down, so we can't do anything. Call back in two hours. When I got tired of calling back, I gave up.

About 14 years ago I bought a ticket to the Philippines from the USA on Cathay Pacific through Expedia. Unbelievably, I accidentally threw out the ticket with a lot of trash one day, and in spite of searching everywhere could not find the ticket and had to give up. I called Expedia and asked them to send me a new ticket. They refused and said basically "Tough luck." I explained that I was not looking for a free trip, that I had already paid for my trip, that my ticket is on their computers, and I just wanted the ticket replaced. Expedia was totally unsympathetic.

As this was an expensive round trip ticket, I called Cathay Pacific on the phone and explained what happened. They were understanding, very nice, and a had a new ticket in 5 minutes.

I'll never do business again with Expedia or Expedia-like outfits again.

Booking directly from the airline makes not really sense, to expensive. Its the same with hotels. The online booking is cheaper and easier. Problems start when booking the wrong rate / conditions

Fatfather

I haven't been traveling much lately, but a few years ago was on a plane every month headed somewhere or another. Not being rich, I tried to get the cheapest tickets possible. I used many different search engines until I found what I thought was the best deal. It's best to use a variety of search engines as results can vary widely.

After finding a good deal, I'd go to the airline direct and 99% of the time get the exact same deal. One big difference can be open jaw or other types of unusual flights. I just had a friend fly to europe. One airline out and a different one back from a different city. Impossible to do this with an airline direct and according to him, was a great price. He got it on Expedia.

I've bought non-refundable tickets direct from the airline before where my plans changed. I just ate the ticket. Unfortunately!

• Like 1

Booking directly from the airline makes not really sense, to expensive. Its the same with hotels. The online booking is cheaper and easier. Problems start when booking the wrong rate / conditions

Fatfather

It's OK to use a personal travel agent, a real person, one who gives you benefits of the airline. But, if you use the online expedia, cheapoair and such, changing your itenerary becomes a nightmare.

I'll spend the extra money and deal directly with airlines.

Had a similar problem with expedia (the dates were changable as confirmed by the airline). Sorry our servers are down, so we can't do anything. Call back in two hours. When I got tired of calling back, I gave up.

I have used edreams.com and made changes but usually much easier with airlines directly. Usually airline sites offer same prices.

If it seems a good deal, think why before you buy

Fatfather

It's OK to use a personal travel agent, a real person, one who gives you benefits of the airline. But, if you use the online expedia, cheapoair and such, changing your itenerary becomes a nightmare.

I'll spend the extra money and deal directly with airlines.

Yep, that's exactly what I do. A real person on the phone and the agent will also care whenever any hassle occur. They provide rates you cannot access on your own.

Fatfather

Fatfather

I don't agree with that at all, I have always checked both ways of doing it, and direct to Airline price has always been cheaper... Air Canada, Cathy, Air China... it can take a bit of searching and being flexible with dates... never have the online sites been cheaper...

Fatfather

I don't agree with that at all, I have always checked both ways of doing it, and direct to Airline price has always been cheaper... Air Canada, Cathy, Air China... it can take a bit of searching and being flexible with dates... never have the online sites been cheaper...

Sometimes booking with the airline is cheaper and sometimes it is not. It is as simple as that.

• Like 1

Fatfather

Booked a ticket with China airlines to Amsterdam recently through Expedia. Ticket is refundable.

Expedia 25015 Baht

China website 26015 Baht

China Bangkok office 27015 Baht

Try selling them on this site maybe some one will buy them from you. I always book Emirates direct just as cheap as any bucket shop., and more accommodating if there is a problem

Selling what? If they are non-changeable, then likely non-transferable.

Nothing to do with eBookers. It's what happens when you buy the cheapest ticket. Often not changeable nor refundable. Check the conditions of the ticket. Are outbound allowed? They either are or they are not.

That why I paid extra for my ticket; to have the ability to change dates or to refund if necessary.

So your tickets are worth nothing to eBookers. If they are non-refundable, how are they of any value to eBookers? If Refundable, they might have an Admin fee in addition to the airline's fee.

So, it's not down to eBookers, it's down to the specific conditions of your ticket.

Changing an outward flight on a heavily discounted ticket is a really big problem as the conditions for the pricing on that ticket have effectively disappeared. The airline may insist that any credit you might get is offset by the difference between what you paid and a full price ticket. In effect cancelling the original ticket and buying a new discounted ticket as a separate purchase may make better economic sense. Changing the return date on a ticket is normally easier when you book direct with the airline. If this is not available with an ebooker or expedia issued ticket then watch out, because then you are faced with the purchase of a 1-way ticket. Expensive.

Changing an outward flight on a heavily discounted ticket is a really big problem as the conditions for the pricing on that ticket have effectively disappeared. The airline may insist that any credit you might get is offset by the difference between what you paid and a full price ticket. In effect cancelling the original ticket and buying a new discounted ticket as a separate purchase may make better economic sense. Changing the return date on a ticket is normally easier when you book direct with the airline. If this is not available with an ebooker or expedia issued ticket then watch out, because then you are faced with the purchase of a 1-way ticket. Expensive.

Not sure why you are quoting my post....

I have simply stated that one has to check the conditions attached, regardless of from whom you purchase.

My default is to book direct with the airline, as I can scrutinise the conditions before purchase and I prefer to deal direct with the airline when it comes to administration. I can and do hold them directly accountable. Unless there is a substantial saving in booking with a reputable TA, I book direct. I might even pay more in order to obtain a more flexible ticket.